• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is not showing up on any of my 4K TVs. So if it does support 4K, this is completely weird that I can't get it to show. Are you playing on a 4K monitor or TV?

*Edit* Now that you say that, I'm curious. I wonder if I set a custom resolution for 4K if it will show. I shouldn't have to since it's 4K natively, but I'll give it a shot.

I assume due streaming it being ok we are allowed to post a pic of the GFX settings. But ya its done 4k as well as DSR when I was testing that but it has its own internal render adjustment so that was just a random test. Also shows up 4k in windowed as well as borderless

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

I assume due streaming it being ok we are allowed to post a pic of the GFX settings. But ya its done 4k as well as DSR when I was testing that but it has its own internal render adjustment so that was just a random test. Also shows up 4k in windowed as well as borderless
I was under the impression that once we were able to stream everyone other than reviews were fine. Would be silly otherwise, but you never know.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I really like it. I own both versions. The dragon box which is pretty much agreed as the best version of the original anime. And I also have the Kai blurays. I dislike the music in Kai though. I'm a sucker for the og music. It's what I remember from when I was in high school. But the voice acting is much better in Kai. And it cuts out most of the filler.
I probably will just to see what's changed, I barely knew it was a thing! I'm a guy likes filler tho :P

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Ya same I just always worry about that stuff.
Looks like something got whacked when I set all those custom resolutions (stupid testing). I killed them all off, re-installed my drivers and set up my 1440p and 1800p custom resolutions.

I do have 4K (3840x2160), 3200x1800p and 2560x1440p back. Funny enough, when setting the display to 4096x2160 it made the game menus super twitchy. Still not getting past 60FPS though. Everything shows fine through the AverMedia Live Gamer 4K as well.

nH62yWC.png

jCtxYLm.png

WAEuSXt.png

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you enjoying it?
Again very sorry not sure what can be said. I signed the NDA early yesterday and literally have been playing nonstop for review. I will check the exact nda for what exactly can and can't be said. I am sure its fine. I am just pretty closed-lipped usually.

Looks like something got whacked when I set all those custom resolutions (stupid testing). I killed them all off, re-installed my drivers and set up my 1440p and 1800p custom resolutions.

I do have 4K (3840x2160), 3200x1800p and 2560x1440p back. Funny enough, when setting the display to 4096x2160 it made the game menus super twitchy. Still not getting past 60FPS though. Everything shows fine through the AverMedia Live Gamer 4K as well.

nH62yWC.png

jCtxYLm.png

WAEuSXt.png
Happens for sure.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
This big patch people were mentioning is supposed to add content and fix serious things? Are reviewers playing the game with it? Seems weird that Bandai would let reviewers play the game without it if it's really that important.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the performance on Xbox one x ? 1080p60? 4k~ish ?

And usually when does cdkeys send ... keys? I can't wait

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
So I'm on the fence about picking up the entire series in a blu-ray box set for just under $150
I have been doing research online but for anyone in the know what makes the Amazon exclusive boxed set any different the other ones out there?

I've seen the TV series before, but I always wanted a hard copy of the entire series that includes both the Kikuchi and Falconer scores in a single collection.

I know the Dragon Box is prefered means of watching the series however they are exorbitantly expensive, also I've read online the 2013 Blu-Ray Season boxes are better than the Orange Bricks, but still want to know if there is something I should be aware of?

May 15, 2019
So I'm on the fence about picking up the entire series in a blu-ray box set for just under $150
I have been doing research online but for anyone in the know what makes the Amazon exclusive boxed set any different the other ones out there?

I've seen the TV series before, but I always wanted a hard copy of the entire series that includes both the Kikuchi and Falconer scores in a single collection.

I know the Dragon Box is prefered means of watching the series however they are exorbitantly expensive, also I've read online the 2013 Blu-Ray Season boxes are better than the Orange Bricks, but still want to know if there is something I should be aware of?
This is the same bad cropped widescreen remaster they've been hawking since the DVDs. It's just Amazon exclusive packaging basically.

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
Got the game a day early, thanks Amazon, and have been playing a little bit today. Just met Yajirobe as Gohan so not very far into the Saiyan saga. So far I'm enjoying it a lot, it's also harder then I was expecting. Raditz kicked my ass during the solo Goku fight until I remembered I had a healing item, not that I would have expected to need it on the first boss. Was fun having to actually learn how to dodge his attacks so I hope the rest of the bosses can keep this up. Also playing on PS4 and am on version 1.03, not that I know what it added.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
That too,
To be fair every shot in the show was hand drawn and composed rather than dropping 3d models awkwardly into a scene with strange lip sync and bad midi.
Yeah that too, I mean if I had to choose I'd rewatch the show instead of the cutscenes from the game from what I've seen.
I really wish I could try the combat system myself, if it's fun to play then I dont mind the graphics

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair every shot in the show was hand drawn and composed rather than dropping 3d models awkwardly into a scene with strange lip sync and bad midi.
That too,
Yeah that too, I mean if I had to choose I'd rewatch the show instead of the cutscenes from the game from what I've seen.
I really wish I could try the combat system myself, if it's fun to play then I dont mind the graphics
Again, what did you want them to do? Fully animate several hours of story content for the game? It's just not feasible. The biggest, highest budget JRPGs "drop 3d models awkwardly into a scene with strange lip sync" for all of their connective tissue scenes. Zelda. Pokemon. Dragon Quest. Final Fantasy. The list goes on. Why the mockery for how this game does it suddenly?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Again, what did you want them to do? Fully animate several hours of story content for the game? It's just not feasible. The biggest, highest budget JRPGs "drop 3d models awkwardly into a scene with strange lip sync" for all of their connective tissue scenes. Zelda. Pokemon. Dragon Quest. Final Fantasy. The list goes on. Why the mockery for how this game does it suddenly?

Its Dragon Ball, its massive and after so many years we got an amazing fighting game that looks just like the manga/anime. Having an epic single player RPG that covers the whole story is such an appealing concept, but this just doesn't seem to be what I wanted out of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Its Dragon Ball, its massive and after so many years we got an amazing fighting game that looks just like the manga/anime. Having an epic single player RPG that covers the whole story is such an appealing concept, but this just doesn't seem to be what I wanted out of that.
What you're asking for is extraordinarily expensive and would add a lot more development time and animation staff beyond the scope full sized Japanese development houses can provide. Why hold this game to this ridiculous standard when so many other high profile titles with a similar narrative scope resort to the same economical method of storytelling? Why is it ok in Breath of the Wild but not here?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
In my case it's not mockery, it's an observation. I can assure you I'm not happy that I dont like the presentation in the cutscenes I saw.
However I don't really mind as I know Z story by heart. That's why I said i wish I could try the combat system, I just need this to be enjoyable to play and it's a buy.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What you're asking for is extraordinarily expensive and would add a lot more development time and animation staff beyond the scope full sized Japanese development houses can provide. Why hold this game to this ridiculous standard when so many other high profile titles with a similar narrative scope resort to the same economical method of storytelling? Why is it ok in Breath of the Wild but not here?

I dunno, just waiting on a single big shounen IP to really have their Witcher 3 type breakout (not using BOTW because it really did not have much narrative or supporting cast). Its probably never happening, but there are so many long running stories based in interesting worlds that just never really had adaptations that truly did them justice.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still wondering if I should bother with the deluxe or ultimate editions🤔
Maybe just the deluxe edition. I guess I can buy the DLC later on?

I'll put it in spoiler because I don't want to cloud anyone's enjoyment with my impressions.

- The gameplay had a severe lack of variety. At first I just assumed the streamer didn't know how to play, but then I realized even if he did, the enemies are bullet sponges that break out of your attacks, and 95% of the fights looked the same. But hey watching random people play Naruto, they use 5% of the battle system so maybe the game is better. Problem being that Naruto had a VS mode and a huge roster, this doesn't so not sure it's gonna work out the same.

- There is a shocking lack of enemies to fight but I can't really blame the devs as DBZ is piss poor on that front.

- The streamer was focusing on the main story to get further and get transformations, so he didn't do a lot of sidequests. He did a few and they were ... kind of sad. Example, Roshi asks you to go find Launch, you find her ... she throws 3 capsules and 3 robots skull enemies come out (the same you run into randomly on the map over and over ...) , you fight them, that's it, quest done, then you get a non voiced conclusion of that quest which is just 4 lines of dialogue back at Roshi... Yeah.

Or on Namek you help "victimized namekians" npcs as they are called, which ... is just you fighting random goons that you have to fight anyway on the map.

Again, I can't blame the devs, what were they gonna add, some super namekian god ? They are limited by the original story, so yeah ...

- All the best cutscenes are in the trailers. There is a shocking amount of characters just standing still or stuff being super poorly animated / lacking music or sound effects, it's super weird.

- Lots of stuff is cut short, you don't play as Goku in the after life, you don't even see him run on the snake way, the entire travel to Namek happens in a literal fade to black etc...

Unless there's some difficulty mode that gives this some hidden depth, I was really fucking done by the time the stream ended.

But it's possible playing as 16yo Gohan / Great Saiyaman is a lot of fun, or that the Buu saga opens up what you can do in fights or something (with all the forms/skills). Maybe the quests get better there. It's possible. The game is pretty long, 9 hours just to end Freeza saga with little side stuff done.

Hmm that sounds somewhat disappointing...

Last edited:

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
Well the difficulty sounds like a turn off...I don't want a souls like DBZ RPG

It really isn't hard like that. Yes, you have to learn some boss moves, prepare healing items and upgrade levels from time to time but it's alright, nothing like a Soul game. Even other A-RPGs like Kingdom Hearts are much harder than Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played a DBZ game since the Budokai series, looking forward to this!

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I would higly reccomend that you don't get the Blu rays. They are right on par with the Orange Bricks as being the absolute worst way to experience the show. Every single aspect of that home releasse is fucked in some way.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

nH62yWC.png

jCtxYLm.png

WAEuSXt.png
Do you have an ultrawide monitor available? Would like to know if the game supports ultrawide resolutions.

Thanks in advance!