• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
So it's exactly like the show then and the majority of lesser talking scenes? (Long pans, characters standing still, etc)

Also, have you played any major RPGs before? Scenes aside from key animated moments are always like this. I don't see anything different from games like Breath of the Wild, Sword and Shield, Ni no Kuni or FF15 when it comes to how they piece together the connective tissue scenes.

Yeah, I was gonna say looking at these it doesn't feel any different than other JRPGs in how smaller story beats/dialogue heavy connective scenes would be handled.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be excited for this but man this looks kind of bad. Polycounts are PS3/360 level. It could look so good. What a shame.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oof

Cell saga spoiler :
So Goku vs Cell doesn't have any battle cutscene, neither before, during or after the match.

17 and 18 awakening happens off screen and Gero's death isn't shown, it's just a face close up on 17 + some zoomed out smoke ... I guess that's supposed to imply he died.
Feels like some of you either haven't played, or don't remember Storm.
Oof

Cell saga spoiler :
So Goku vs Cell doesn't have any battle cutscene, neither before, during or after the match.

17 and 18 awakening happens off screen and Gero's death isn't shown, it's just a face close up on 17 + some zoomed out smoke ... I guess that's supposed to imply he died.
Soooo par for the Storm course like most people expected. Sounds like some of you just had weirdly high expectations.

OP
OP
Rika

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
So I'll try and like update and link the IGN, GameSpot, and Game Informer reviews up for sure tomorrow ASAP.

I feel like I'm forgetting a few more.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
The early impressions are a bummer. It sounds like a solid $15-20 game at least.

I dropped 100 on the ultimate edition and have exactly zero regrets. And I'm not the person who goes "oh I spent money I'll defend it" I bought Anthem at launch and crapped on it. Same with Divison 2 (which was bad ataunch but has gotten somewhat better. Still a disappointment imo)

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the saiyan saga.

I'm really liking it. I've played waaaaay too much xenoverse 2 and I'm now constantly comparing it. Story is obviously better here and so is exploring.

Combat feels pretty familiar to xenoverse sans the stamina bar, which I'm happy to see gone. The game has been kinda hard and it does force you to focus in my experience, the game has punished me for button mashing in important fights. I've had to retry a couple fights.

The skill trees are linear so they feel artificial to me, like there isn't any choice, you just unlock stuff at the pace the story wants you to because the lre are skills that cant be bought until certain point in the story is beaten. Maybe you gotta farm for some specific orbs the skills require but other than that...

Exploring is nice, the maps are big and fun to explore, super vertical too which makes flying even more enjoyable, bad thing is that the maps are completely littered with colored orbs and shinies on the ground. Pretty basic in that respect but I can live with that. There are some gun mechanics that get unlocked that make exploring even more interesting.

The community panels are awesome and pretty interesting to play around with and optimize for maximum profitability.

Then, cutscenes are pretty awesome, the important parts are superbly animated and crafted and look 1 to 1 like the anime.

Sidequests are meh, mostly, like go kill these baddies or hunt three deer and bring me some meat. Standard rpg sidequest stuff for the moment.

I'm pretty excited to continue playing. Really enjoyable so far.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
cause these ppl wanted a Super game, not a DBZ game all over again, since is a DBZ game they are shitting over Kakarot, I've already bought my copy, cant wait
This is just a bad take. Super was great after not having any DBZ for years and the reason people wanted it instead of the same Goku story they've made multiple games of.
I dropped 100 on the ultimate edition and have exactly zero regrets. And I'm not the person who goes "oh I spent money I'll defend it" I bought Anthem at launch and crapped on it. Same with Divison 2 (which was bad ataunch but has gotten somewhat better. Still a disappointment imo)
TBH this makes me feel better. I loved the first UNS (not a fan of the later entries) so I really want this to be good.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Looking at CyberConnect2's history, they made 20 Naruto games which consisted of a retelling/ongoing of the series. All of which I've surprisingly played minus the upcoming one in April. Of course they went nuts with Naruto. From what I've seen Kakarot looks great, especially with it being their first handle on the IP.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at CyberConnect2's history, they made 20 Naruto games. All of which I've surprisingly played minus the upcoming one in April. Of course they went nuts with Naruto. From what I've seen Kakarot looks great, especially with it being their first handle on the IP.
It is fun. I was free roaming with Piccolo just picking random fights with whatever I could because I was enjoying the combat system and trying to get better at it on trash for when the bosses show up. Because the bosses don't even kind of fuck around.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Hmm have to decide if I should pick this up today along with Yakuza 7. Hope more impressions are posted when I finish work

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone shitting on the game because they see 2 conversations taking part in the open world, getting their "looks like a 360 game" hot takes in while most of the Vegeta/Nappa is some of the best looking shit Ive ever seen in an video game.

This is an open world game. Some scenes will look static. But there are TONS of cutscenes during the Saiyan Saga at least and they look dope as hell. That whole Goku/Vegeta fight here is the best it has ever looked as far as Im concerned.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
This looks cool but it's making me kind of want to go through LoG2 and Buu's Fury for the first time instead.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
That is something I also have noticed and it feels..a bit rough.

It's strange. In places it's really really good. In others it's like they didn't have Sean on the boys record the entire lines. They took parts of that they said and then reused a line they said in another place. You can hear in the inflection and the pacing. A lot of times if there is a comma the words after the comma seem like they weren't recorded at the same time.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
The way review codes are being handled is making me pretty wary
It should :P
Everyone shitting on the game because they see 2 conversations taking part in the open world, getting their "looks like a 360 game" hot takes in while most of the Vegeta/Nappa is some of the best looking shit Ive ever seen in an video game.

This is an open world game. Some scenes will look static. But there are TONS of cutscenes during the Saiyan Saga at least and they look dope as hell. That whole Goku/Vegeta fight here is the best it has ever looked as far as Im concerned.
sounds dope!!

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
I want to buy it but I bought weed yesterday and today.
Also I still haven't finished RDR 2 and Spyro and other backlog games with my 54 hours of PS4 being played all of 2019.
So it would probably take me a while to finish it(so I might as well wait until a sale happens)

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the saiyan saga.

I'm really liking it. I've played waaaaay too much xenoverse 2 and I'm now constantly comparing it. Story is obviously better here and so is exploring.

Combat feels pretty familiar to xenoverse sans the stamina bar, which I'm happy to see gone. The game has been kinda hard and it does force you to focus in my experience, the game has punished me for button mashing in important fights. I've had to retry a couple fights.

The skill trees are linear so they feel artificial to me, like there isn't any choice, you just unlock stuff at the pace the story wants you to because the lre are skills that cant be bought until certain point in the story is beaten. Maybe you gotta farm for some specific orbs the skills require but other than that...

Exploring is nice, the maps are big and fun to explore, super vertical too which makes flying even more enjoyable, bad thing is that the maps are completely littered with colored orbs and shinies on the ground. Pretty basic in that respect but I can live with that. There are some gun mechanics that get unlocked that make exploring even more interesting.

The community panels are awesome and pretty interesting to play around with and optimize for maximum profitability.

Then, cutscenes are pretty awesome, the important parts are superbly animated and crafted and look 1 to 1 like the anime.

Sidequests are meh, mostly, like go kill these baddies or hunt three deer and bring me some meat. Standard rpg sidequest stuff for the moment.

I'm pretty excited to continue playing. Really enjoyable so far.

Are there a lot of gaps/time skips in the story or is it fairly comprehensive ? I'm considering re-reading the manga up to the Saiyan saga and then playing the game. But I don't want to feel like I'm just experiencing a summary.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Are there a lot of gaps/time skips in the story or is it fairly comprehensive ? I'm considering re-reading the manga up to the Saiyan saga and then playing the game. But I don't want to feel like I'm just experiencing a summary.

It's really comprehensive. It does do somethings out of order. Like there is a discussion with a certain character early on that does take away one of Goku's really early twists. But it's done the same way DBZ Kai does it. Less twists more straight forward story telling.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I want to buy it but I bought weed yesterday and today.
Also I still haven't finished RDR 2 and Spyro and other backlog games with my 54 hours of PS4 being played all of 2019.
So it would probably take me a while to finish it(so I might as well wait until a sale happens)
No, you might as well buy it.

It's really comprehensive. It does do somethings out of order. Like there is a discussion with a certain character early on that does take away one of Goku's really early twists. But it's done the same way DBZ Kai does it. Less twists more straight forward story telling.
What are you referring to?

Jun 5, 2018
It's strange. In places it's really really good. In others it's like they didn't have Sean on the boys record the entire lines. They took parts of that they said and then reused a line they said in another place. You can hear in the inflection and the pacing. A lot of times if there is a comma the words after the comma seem like they weren't recorded at the same time.
dubbed anime love it or hate it is allot better now a days they get to watch the anime and record voices to the already animated lip flaps so it looks natural anime games on the other hand that's a different story normally the actors get a script with no scenario given meaning context and tone which even for veterans aren't always easy to figure out without direction are Difficult let alone getting to see the mouth flaps and try to match them

Nov 11, 2017
I'm really liking this so far, the combat is definitely better then it looks, I feel like it gives you solid control of your character.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
In the beginning it shows Radditz talking with Vegeta and Nappa about how Goku is his brother and Goku is a saiyan. Instead of it being a twist that Radditz is Goku's brother and that he's a saiyan.
Oh darn, that does kinda suck if somehow you didn't know.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
OK, after getting into a convo about the game on the PC, regarding resolutions. This is what I've found out. This is a copy/pasta from the Steam Forums where I originally posted this.

Hey folks, I recorded that footage for Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot and I initially said it was locked at 1080p. After doing some testing, that's not exactly true, but at the same time, that's not what I was going after.

I'm playing this on a PC connected to a 4K TV, one that does not natively support 1440p. When I posted the footage, I was asked if the game supports 4K, which it apparently does not. Attempting to play the game at 4K, the game will not show the resolution in the game. However, later on, I went back and forced a custom resolution of 2560x1440p for my TV and when I fired up the game it did show that.

So it does show 1440p, but still no 4K. So that means if you're on a 4K monitor, you'll need to set a custom resolution for 1440p to work. It should detect 4K and allow you to do 1440p like most games (at 30Hz) but it doesn't.

As for the frame rate, most TVs only support 60Hz, so that's what it's stuck at. Usually, games are coded to allow for extra framerates, even if your monitor doesn't support them and you can see that using something like Rivatuner. This doesn't, so either it's capped at 60 or it caps at your TV/Monitor refresh rate. I'm currently installing this on my other PC which uses a 3440x1440p 120Hz panel. I'll let you know the results.

Lastly for those asking, I'm playing a review copy that was sent to me by Bandai Namco. I hope this clears up a bunch of questions.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I haven't seen Kai, worth watching?

I really like it. I own both versions. The dragon box which is pretty much agreed as the best version of the original anime. And I also have the Kai blurays. I dislike the music in Kai though. I'm a sucker for the og music. It's what I remember from when I was in high school. But the voice acting is much better in Kai. And it cuts out most of the filler.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
It is not showing up on any of my 4K TVs. So if it does support 4K, this is completely weird that I can't get it to show. Are you playing on a 4K monitor or TV?

*Edit* Now that you say that, I'm curious. I wonder if I set a custom resolution for 4K if it will show. I shouldn't have to since it's 4K natively, but I'll give it a shot.