• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They bascially doing it right. FGC can have their tactical fighter with DBZF and everyone else that just want to spam spirit bombs can have Xenoverse. Both sell well, and that is how it should be in a perfect world

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
You ever play the PS2 MK games. They were broken.

SoulCalibur and Tekken were good. It was an interesting era where fighters were trying to go 3D, it wasn't until Street Fighter IV came out, that people went back to the 2D style full time.
Still not to your point though, there were absolutely balanced fighters, all over the place too, you just weren't playing them.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is still my favorite DBZ fighter

I think DBFZ is a better, more competently made fighting game, but there are plenty of fighting games I would reach for first if I was in the mood for a fighter

Budokai Tenkaichi 3, if there was an easily available version, is what I'd reach for if I had an itch for playing Dragon Ball

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
imagen-i233501-in.jpg

The versus was just a side mode, but Unlimited Cruise 2 was the One Piece equivalent back in the day. It had every main antagonist so far except for Foxy and featured some early characters like Kizaru and Eutass Kidd. Even Calgara was there, ffs.

Nowadays there's just so many characters that you would be frowned upon if you included a wild pick like that, and I guess it's the same for Dragon Ball after Super.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Hi speed rush was all the rage.
Are you confusing BT1 with BT3, because by the latter most of the samey speed rushes were replaced by unique ones. Some fighters still had it, but it was no more the majority.
some of them had Super Explosive Wave
Shares the same name, but they were used for totally different purposes, one was a super while the other was a burst to let you escape your opponent's combo.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Every Tenkaichi thread is the same here lol. People who didn't care to take a deeper look into the mechanics come in and say 'yeah every character plays the same lol hehe' when actually most characters feel unique, have a unique combination of melee combat, status skills and super moves. Only very few characters play similarly. Also (almost?) everyone has unique animations. The game is a beautiful homage to the franchise.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Tenkaichi 3 released 10 months before SFIV lol.

Shit, even other anime fighters like Naruto GNT4 and Ultimate Ninja 3 and 4 were on their balance revision tip a year earlier.

Like, saying fighting games back then were all about the content while they were broken messes is not a strong argument for why things should change. Like, the PS2 MK games fucking sucked, they were terrible unless the only thing you wanted to do was mash some buttons and see a head fly off.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I think DBFZ is a better, more competently made fighting game, but there are plenty of fighting games I would reach for first if I was in the mood for a fighter

Budokai Tenkaichi 3, if there was an easily available version, is what I'd reach for if I had an itch for playing Dragon Ball

I bought a second hand Wii and DBZ:BT3 on eBay just so I could play it again last year.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017

Ha, you call those mods.

Get a load of this!

Think BT3 has an advantage because of multiple transformation stages and changing skillset ?
XV2 can do that:

Fusing during a fight XV2 can do that too as well:

Don't get me wrong BT3 is a good game but I think it is honestly overated and suffers from the rose-tinted glasses affect.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
This game has a lot of people pressed, I absolutely loved this game. I would love a sequel with the Super characters, what a joy to play

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but does it have mods that cover the best saga of Dragon Ball that is AF. Can't forget about memorable characters like Matt, and Gotan, or what about those hype transformations that are Super Saiyan infinity or Super Saiyan 10 Goku.

Ah but does it have El Hermano vs Gohan Blanco and El Grande Padre in a handicap match:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When the game came out...very few fighters put much thought into "competitive" balance. That was still relatively niche back then.

Fighters back then were about content.

I cant let that slide, get the fuck outta here with that opinion hahaha. Wow this made me feel old

In the PREHISTORIC CAVEMAN ERA of the 90's, competitive balance was a must, so by the time 2007 rolled around it was not just firmly in place, but assumed and expected.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
y'all are forgetting that DBFZ has the best mods of all

5d3f8a675e19a.jpg

I'll Gigantic Crump with you, sweetie pie

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The Naruto Ninja Storm games also had a massive roster, balanced probably not but who cares it wasn't a serious e-Sports fighting game anyways.

What they lacked in dept they made up in presentation, those games had personality which can't be said for DBFZ sadly.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I loved kinda role playing as Frieza against a stacked team and transforming through all 5 of his forms as they pushed me to my limit.

Or playing as Goten and Trunks and doing the same thing, but going Super Saiyan and then fusing when things got desperate.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
You got me there, I don't think there are mods that allowed three or more fighters but what we do have is allowed such match ups as El Chapulin Colorado vs Jason X, Plank vs Deku, and Neymar vs Ultra Instinc Shaggy.

Don't worry not every game can have a 3 vs 3 match where Spongebob, Mr Krabs and Squidward Vegeta fight Spongeblob Black, Patrick Zamasu and Larry the Lobster:

Seriously though.

I think this is enough. We could easily go back and fourth with the amount of stupid and crazy mods both of these games have.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
The Naruto Ninja Storm games also had a massive roster, balanced probably not but who cares it wasn't a serious e-Sports fighting game anyways.

What they lacked in dept they made up in presentation, those games had personality which can't be said for DBFZ sadly.

The Storm games were always bad on balance because CC2 didn't know how arena fighters were supposed to work for the longest time.

The Ultimate Ninja games, especially the ones released around 2007 (3 and 4, also made by CC2), were incredibly well balanced. 3 and 4 were absolutely tournament worthy.

Then 5 fucked it all up.

Then 6 fucked it up more.

Than Storm fucked it into the dirt. Man, the storm games are terrible fighting games.

Also LOL at DBfZ not having personality.

DBfZ has some issues with depth and onboarding, but it's got personality in god damn spades.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The Storm games were always bad on balance because CC2 didn't know how arena fighters were supposed to work for the longest time.

The Ultimate Ninja games, especially the ones released around 2007 (3 and 4, also made by CC2), were incredibly well balanced. 3 and 4 were absolutely tournament worthy.

Then 5 fucked it all up.

Then 6 fucked it up more.

Than Storm fucked it into the dirt. Man, the storm games are terrible fighting games.

Also LOL at DBfZ not having personality.

DBfZ has some issues with depth and onboarding, but it's got personality in god damn spades.

Oh, the storm games aren't good fighting games no but I really liked them nonetheless, they were still very fun to play, looked fantasic and the moves looked amazing and the Ninja Storm games were very popular during birthday parties because everyone knew at least a little bit of Naruto and wasn't as intimitated as Street Fighter with combo input commands.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Oh, the storm games aren't good fighting games no but I really liked them nonetheless, they were still very fun to play, looked fantasic and the moves looked amazing and the Ninja Storm games were very popular during birthday parties because everyone knew at least a little bit of Naruto and wasn't as intimitated as Street Fighter with combo input commands.

I'd say the only thing that the storm games do right is serve as a primer for Naruto, as the story mode missions are very flashy, if sometimes completely non-representative, of the big fights that happen in the anime/manga.

But it's a miserable game to play. That shit got tossed on its ass when we tried to bring that to game night back in the day.

3.5 is fine I guess.

4 is better but the tilt shit broke the game in different ways.

If you wanna play a good arena fighter, just get Gundam VS. The fact that people are talking about Jump Force as anything but a smoldering tire fire in 2019 is a crying shame.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game was trash and the balance was a mess. I just don't understand why so many put these turd DBZ game on a pedestal from the PS2 era. Remove the Dragon Ball skin from the package and the game wouldn't have a single thing going for it.

When the game came out...very few fighters put much thought into "competitive" balance. That was still relatively niche back then.

Fighters back then were about content.

LMAO.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017

This, there are tons of fighters, even better fighters than FighterZ. If I wanted to play a fighter I would go there (or FighterZ, I have the game and like it). What I want to play is a DBZ sim and there is no better series than the Tenkaichi series. All characters, good enough looking moves and animations, destructable environments, in game transformations and fusions, giant characters like Ozarus and Hirudegarn, many stages from the series, and pre and post match quotes where certain matches get special quotes. Its sad how much of a step back Xenoverse is and FighterZ is fun but lacks the roster and transformations for the characters