• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
One of the initial promo pictures for the arc mentioned the other "warriors" too, but yeah, at this point I have no hope they're getting any narrative relevancy. There probably will be a break after the first battle with Granola, leading to the others getting some kind of role, but I'd be surprised at this point if they have any real role in the narrative.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
One of the initial promo pictures for the arc mentioned the other "warriors" too, but yeah, at this point I have no hope they're getting any narrative relevancy. There probably will be a break after the first battle with Granola, leading to the others getting some kind of role, but I'd be surprised at this point if they have any real role in the narrative.
Not like Goku does either.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
This arc is exceedingly boring and I'll just outline what I said to Geekdom as to why.

First and foremost, the formula of Goku and Vegeta getting stronger just because... is stale and boring IMO. There's no character conflict here, they have no agency. They're being treated as stock video game characters and nothing more.

The lack of focus on other cast members is also a problem. The original series did well to have Goku's friends and family around in a way that bolstered his character. Vegeta just doesn't do that on his own because it's always the same shtick.

It's actually bizarre - the US arc (anime) went in the right direction with this sort of thing so it's not like it's impossible. The writing simply needs to be better and that won't happen unless something truly changes at the top.

I'll add that Goku in particular is probably the most flanderized, passive and boring he's ever been now. He's just reacting to the plot, not pushing it forward in any capacity.
I tink Toyo's weakness in character writing is really evident. He doesn't have the spark that Toriyama had for making funny, exciting or intense characters. He doesn't have Toei's writers skill in depicting Goku and friends as a weird pseudo family. He isn't able to tap into Goku's absurdities or silliness very well and it makes his Goku a little inert. In the Super anime, Vegeta was opening up emotionally over time yet with Toyo he seems more like the stoic Vegeta in Z. In the anime, Vegeta's relationship with Goku expanded by having more engaging banter between the two, with them becoming more 'bro' like.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the issue, but it's weird they're even going the route of pretending to pay Goku and Vegeta, instead of just "hey there's someone strong that's bad". Otherwise, I like that Vegeta and Goku now are basically just representatives of Beerus and Whis.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Fun arc so far.
Something about it just feels kinda fresh.

Although Moro arc started out decent also, so can't tell how it'll end up.

I really hope they spice things up by dragging Broly in, or maybe have both Goku and Vegeta perish (Gohan's time to shine).

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Were there any factual signs that we are hetting a new season of DBS in the future? Or is it all just hope :(?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Were there any factual signs that we are hetting a new season of DBS in the future? Or is it all just hope :(?
As far as direct acknowledgement, the closest thing was another movie project being mentioned. It has been a while since that without any kind of actual announcement though.
There are some oddities though (like the new manga characters never being featured in voiced material/merch, even Heroes which otherwise features really obscure content), but no actual evidence of a new animation in the works.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
www.resetera.com

New "Dragon Ball Super" movie announced! News

Kanzenshuu’s translation of Toriyama’s comment. Production of a theatrical film following on from Dragon Ball Super: Broly has been given the go-ahead and is currently underway! Once again, I’ve poured my heart and soul into it, writing the story down to the dialogue itself. Apparently, its...

I'm going to say it, folks

Don't you make me say it!

I'm warning you!

*Deep breath*

Your ready?

Adapt Baby, give him a different name and cool-looking appearance, and have him more morally grey and ambiguous.

Have him actually fight Vegeta.

BOOM

*Flies out*

....Thoughts?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
www.resetera.com

New "Dragon Ball Super" movie announced! News

Kanzenshuu’s translation of Toriyama’s comment. Production of a theatrical film following on from Dragon Ball Super: Broly has been given the go-ahead and is currently underway! Once again, I’ve poured my heart and soul into it, writing the story down to the dialogue itself. Apparently, its...
I can't take a villain literally called "Baby" seriously.

Like, "remember that time Goku fought Baby Vegeta" sounds fucking ridiculous.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This time Toriyama literally wrote the dialogue of the film... Is this the most involved he's ever been?
He wrote the scripts for Revival F and Broly. Revival F had some small changes in the final product, although most of them just made things worse, like the dumb line about Shisami being as strong as Zarbon and Dodoria when he's seen matching Piccolo later, don't know about Broly.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I often see people wanting to have Trunks and Goten to do something, but I can't stand them lol. In Z they were fine, but Super made them more childlike than before. Maybe if they aged a bit it'd be fine, but for now they're extreme 'meh' characters. Gohan'd be much more cool to put the spotlight back on, with his different goal / way in getting stronger.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Forgot to post this here but here's the piece I did for Gohan's day this year:

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I can't take a villain literally called "Baby" seriously.

Like, "remember that time Goku fought Baby Vegeta" sounds fucking ridiculous.
I would read the back of VHS tapes of DB GT before I knew anything about the plots, and I would keep reading about Baby Vegeta and I thought it was a baby version of Vegeta who was fucking up Goku and forcing him to go SSJ4. I was so confused.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Also. Dragon Ball movie hype. It's been so long since we've had non manga Dragon Ball news.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
He wrote the scripts for Revival F and Broly. Revival F had some small changes in the final product, although most of them just made things worse, like the dumb line about Shisami being as strong as Zarbon and Dodoria when he's seen matching Piccolo later, don't know about Broly.
The DB Room made tons of additions to Broly's script, but we don't know what they were.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
In the new interviews being posted on the official DB site, the artist said "As a fan, I'm really looking forward to new movies and merchandise. I'm also excited about the new anime that will continue Dragon Ball Super."

Did they basically confirm it?

Link

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I would read the back of VHS tapes of DB GT before I knew anything about the plots, and I would keep reading about Baby Vegeta and I thought it was a baby version of Vegeta who was fucking up Goku and forcing him to go SSJ4. I was so confused.
I remember telling my friends about seeing this new villain called Baby Vegeta in a magazine I read. Years later they told me they all thought I was lying, that I was talking about a literal baby Vegeta and couldn't believe how dumb it was.

Thanks Toei for making my friends think I was crazy until GT finally aired.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
In the new interviews being posted on the official DB site, the artist said "As a fan, I'm really looking forward to new movies and merchandise. I'm also excited about the new anime that will continue Dragon Ball Super."

Link

Could she have been referring to the film? I feel like we need the original text to see if it might be a mistranslation or something.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember my first Dragonball game was GT Final Bout.

At that time, I had only watched to ... maybe the Namek saga. I was incredibly confused.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017

Link
They're using machine translation so... it's not correct. The actual translation of the Japanese text is:

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
One would think that opening an official site supporting 5 languages would guarantee proper translations. I guess not. lol

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why Toyotaro (?) decided to revert Vegeta back (again!) when he gained something in the Broly movie. Goku too, for that matter.

At least Vegeta is showing here he's a bit smarter than your average Saiyan. Next episode could be pretty good.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why Toyotaro (?) decided to revert Vegeta back (again!) when he gained something in the Broly movie. Goku too, for that matter.

At least Vegeta is showing here he's a bit smarter than your average Saiyan. Next episode could be pretty good.
It's clear both were underestimating Granola. Vegeta did go on to check the planet though, so it's not like he was doing nothing. That said, it's still a waste of a chapter. It felt like this could have been done in a single 15 pages chapter rather than needing an entire month for it.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Good Chapter, but Granolah could have just used the Dragon Balls to resurrect his people and restore the destroyed cities... I wouldn't be surprised if it's what they ultimately end up doing.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I rolled my eyes so hard when Vegeta went back to his "I'll surpass you Kakarot!" boring bullshit. Although I think it's possible Vegeta was only using it as a cover to investigate Granolah, which is why he insisted Goku go first.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Vegeta's reverted back to his old self and Goku's "new form" is slapped to the floor in one chapter. Damn.