• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Chapter was good with the action

But I fucking despise Superman Goku.

"I inherited his will!" That's Naruto, not Goku. The caring for Earth part was fine though

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
I wonder if they are waiting for this arc to end and for Jump Fest to announce the next anime arc. They will have had enough head start time, right?

one can dream

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda anti-climactic 3rd wish mystery

Will never get over this

I admit I actually liked this chapter until the last two pages
"He was sentenced to death right"
Me-yes yes yes
"Quits the galactic patrol"

me:..........

I'm not even really that upset over him getting ready to spare him. But what does bug me is going through the whole Galatic Patrol cosplay just to drop it in order to justify sparing him, it's just mad corny

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
Can't imagine what kind of arc they'll create after Tournament of Power and Moro.
More tournament ?
I'd like to see a Broly training arc, now that Goku has perfected ultra instinct, he can keep up with Broly and help him control his power.

hopefully they keep away from Tournaments for a little bit, we've already had two arcs that were tournament based, we're almost in OG Dragon Ball territory.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Idea I had was Frieza managing to steal Beerus' position as God of Destruction by convincing his empire technically creates civilized planets better than what Beerus does.

And then we get set-pieces like grumpy Beerus bunking on Earth, Frieza learning UI, technically making Neko Majin Z canon, Frieza ordering main cast for his own benefit, maybe Goku trains Uub to help against Frieza?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Beerus should just hakai this man for always putting his Uni in danger

Seriously, Beerus is just fucking worthless when it counts. He should have erased Freeza and his whole family ages ago as they're they primary cause of U7's mortal level going that far down in the first place. Whis is supposed to be the indifferent one not Beerus. Anything that keeps throwing universe 7 out of balance and he just lets it happen.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I mean to be fair, Beerus is 2nd worst universe when ranked officially. I love how Toriyama sneaked in subtle explanation why Beerus did shit to Frieza & Buu lol

...or 3rd worst if Manga counts.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idea I had was Frieza managing to steal Beerus' position as God of Destruction by convincing his empire technically creates civilized planets better than what Beerus does.

And then we get set-pieces like grumpy Beerus bunking on Earth, Frieza learning UI, technically making Neko Majin Z canon, Frieza ordering main cast for his own benefit, maybe Goku trains Uub to help against Frieza?
Canon Neko Majin Z would be dope

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I find it funny that Beerus went from, 'what do we tell the Grand Priest about Merus' to 'kill this guy so we can have lunch'.

Also, the punch so hard that the entire planet felt it looked weak. The impact just wasn't there in the panel. Probably not helping that both Goku and Moro look stiff.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Whatever happened to the whole "Goku isn't a noble guy/hero thing". I got major dub vibes from him in this chapter.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Except that's actually stuck for a long time now.

The problem is that despite it sticking, Gohan still haven't done much.

But I think Goku's 'development' is more akin to what happened in the manga TOP. When Goku and Vegeta used Whis' teachings to finally work together perfectly and Jiren's ultimate lesson was about the power of teamwork, only for Goku and Vegeta to go 'screw teamwork' in the last chapter of the TOP.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
The problem is that despite it sticking, Gohan still haven't done much.

But I think Goku's 'development' is more akin to what happened in the manga TOP. When Goku and Vegeta used Whis' teachings to finally work together perfectly and Jiren's ultimate lesson was about the power of teamwork, only for Goku and Vegeta to go 'screw teamwork' in the last chapter of the TOP.
To be fair, no one has really "done much" either in the current arc save for the endless fighting with no resolutions. Gohan's done just as much as anyone else at this point.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
To be fair, no one has really "done much" either in the current arc save for the endless fighting with no resolutions. Gohan's done just as much as anyone else at this point.

Which is also true. The cast despite getting stronger did a whole lot of nothing to the point that you can axed them completely and the story wouldn't changed. At least in the Saiyan Saga where everyone died it led to a new arc. Even Resurrection 'F' was better since we got to see the cast fight again after several decades, especially Roshi and they were at least able to take out Frieza's elite fodder.

Somehow, this arc circled back to Goku who did jack shit up to this point.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vegito's outfit should be different! Even DBSuper took care to "adjust" Vegeta's outfit before the fusion so that Vegito's look would make sense

Oct 25, 2017
If they do a tournament but this time it's an actual bracketed tournament and not some battle royal or exhibition or garbage

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm both tired of tournaments, but also recognize that nowadays it's pretty much the only way to genuinely make everyone feel useful
They could just give power ups to everyone. I don't get why coming up with power ups for old characters seems so hard for Toriyama nowadays if the character isn't Goku (or Vegeta reusing his power ups). Even the few we've actually gotten feel half-assed (like 17 just getting "I trained").

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They could just give power ups to everyone. I don't get why coming up with power ups for old characters seems so hard for Toriyama nowadays if the character isn't Goku (or Vegeta reusing his power ups). Even the few we've actually gotten feel half-assed (like 17 just getting "I trained").

The issue is that there is no way to believably give everyone meaningful power-ups outside of maybe Piccolo. Well there's Gohan too, but meh, he's just another Saiyan, who cares at this point when we're working with stuff like SSB and Ultra Instinct.

And like you said, 17's was half-assed. They could definitely one day just decide to say fuck it, but that's about it.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The issue is that there is no way to believably give everyone meaningful power-ups outside of maybe Piccolo. Well there's Gohan too, but meh, he's just another Saiyan, who cares at this point when we're working with stuff like SSB and Ultra Instinct.

And like you said, 17's was half-assed. They could definitely one day just decide to say fuck it, but that's about it.

I don't see how 17's power-up was half-ass. Training and becoming ungodly strong is classic Dragon Ball. Like all the humans got stronger than Raditz who beat up Goku and Piccolo at the same time with ease in less than a year with Krillin killing four Raditzs in one-shot. To further show how bonkers the increase was, Raditz had a power level around 1200. Krillin was in the low 200s in the beginning of the Saiyan Saga. Meaning, Krillin alone got nearly 6x stronger in less than a year.

Even for all the wank Whis' training gets, his training is pretty basic since Goku and Vegeta tend to learn more from fighting each other than listening to Whis with Whis himself saying that Goku and Vegeta can do the same thing at home.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Dragonball has never had strong world building though. We get previously unknown parts of the world/universe in almost every arc. No one would blink if they introduced some new legendary plot device or master with special techniques that can power up some character. It's just that nowadays Toriyama doesn't seem to bother with that unless it's tied to Goku (or the key to defeat the villain, if not a character directly). Just look at all the hope for a Piccolo power up that popped up due to something like "Namek book of legends" being mentioned once. People are used to stuff coming out of nowhere in DB. There just needs to be something.

I don't see how 17's power-up was half-ass. Training and becoming ungodly strong is classic Dragon Ball. Like all the humans got stronger than Raditz who beat up Goku and Piccolo at the same time with ease in less than a year with Krillin killing four Raditzs in one-shot. To further show how bonkers the increase was, Raditz had a power level around 1200. Krillin was in the low 200s in the beginning of the Saiyan Saga. Meaning, Krillin alone got nearly 6x stronger in less than a year.
That Saiyan saga power up was basically following what Dragonball used to do - the supporting cast goes on to get Goku's old training/master and end up stronger than he was when he first finished that training, but still can't keep up with current Goku (this sequence was kind of broken when they went to North Kai and although said to master the training there faster than Goku, they didn't get any techniques). 17's situation is different since he was just said to be training off-screen, without any attempts at all to make that training seem special. It's really not the same as what Dragonball used to do.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Dragonball has never had strong world building though. We get previously unknown parts of the world/universe in almost every arc. No one would blink if they introduced some new legendary plot device or master with special techniques that can power up some character. It's just that nowadays Toriyama doesn't seem to bother with that unless it's tied to Goku (or the key to defeat the villain, if not a character directly). Just look at all the hope for a Piccolo power up that popped up due to something like "Namek book of legends" being mentioned once. People are used to stuff coming out of nowhere in DB. There just needs to be something.

That Saiyan saga power up was basically following what Dragonball used to do - the supporting cast goes on to get Goku's old training/master and end up stronger than he was when he first finished that training, but still can't keep up with current Goku (this sequence was kind of broken when they went to North Kai and although said to master the training there faster than Goku, they didn't get any techniques). 17's situation is different since he was just said to be training off-screen, without any attempts at all to make that training seem special. It's really not the same as what Dragonball used to do.

But that the point. The training doesn't need to be special since Kami himself admitted to not teaching Goku jack. Kami's training wasn't 'special' and 17 got that strong in the span of over decade and unlike the Saiyans, he doesn't need to rest and he was already modified. In fact, none of the training in Dragon Ball outside of maybe King Kai was special. Roshi was condition training mixed with life lessons and Korin was to chase him around while you try to grab a bottle of water. Even Goku's gravity training was condition training taking to nutty extremes.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
But that the point. The training doesn't need to be special since Kami himself admitted to not teaching Goku jack.
When did that happen?

Anyway, those trainings were still portrayed as special within the context of the series, even if you feel they weren't, which is why the characters went after them in the first place (or why they're mentioned afterwards, like the humans training with Karin before the 23rd Budokai which is only mentioned in dialogue during the arc itself). With 17, they didn't even try to sell people on the idea of his training being special. You mention his lack of fatigue for example, but the series itself didn't bring that up when briefly mentioning his training.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
When did that happen?

Anyway, those trainings were still portrayed as special within the context of the series, even if you feel they weren't, which is why the characters went after them in the first place (or why they're mentioned afterwards, like the humans training with Karin before the 23rd Budokai which is only mentioned in dialogue during the arc itself). With 17, they didn't even try to sell people on the idea of his training being special. You mention his lack of fatigue for example, but the series itself didn't bring that up when briefly mentioning his training.

Except, not really. Goku and Krillin constantly complained that Roshi's training was special because he wasn't teaching them anything. It wasn't until the martial arts tournament that Goku and Krillin realized that all that conditional training massively buffed their strength. Korin's training was based on an outright lie.

The Androids having unlimited stamina was mentioned several times in Super. Why do we need to have 17 outright say, 'I could train endless because I have unlimited energy', when 17 said to 18, 'we can keep fighting because we never get tired'. I know Dragon Ball can over explain itself at times, but come on. Used some of those brains.

The whole idea that 'characters have special training' doesn't hold weight outside of King Kai and Kami if you pushed it. And even Vegeta learned to sense ki without Kami just cause.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

It's not about it being hard if it's never been his style

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Except, not really. Goku and Krillin constantly complained that Roshi's training was special because he wasn't teaching them anything. It wasn't until the martial arts tournament that Goku and Krillin realized that all that conditional training massively buffed their strength. Korin's training was based on an outright lie.
They complained, but at the end when they saw the results they realized it was special all along. It's why you had Yamcha going to train with Roshi afterwards for example (and Kuririn still there). Same goes to Korin, who ends up training all humans before the 23rd Budokai.

It's not about it being hard, it's simply never been his style
It used to happen before though, like the reused Goku training, the elder Namekian potential unlock and Namekian fusion.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did any of those really amount to anything though? Storywise?
That's kind of what I'm talking about though. Those things usually resulted in giving the characters a hype moment, then it turns out it isn't enough against the current threat before the actual relevant fighter/power up of the arc is revealed. I'm not talking about the characters actually taking the spotlight to beat the new villains, just getting some kind of hype that feels genuine before they're brought down.

The current storytelling mostly drops that altogether and the one time we got something similar with 17's training it was just briefly mentioned once with no details at all. It's why I'm saying that justifying new power ups for secondary characters shouldn't be hard, Toriyama just isn't bothering anymore. Either he does nothing or we get a very generic line like with 17.

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of what I'm talking about thought. Those things usually resulted in giving the characters a hype moment, then it turns out it isn't enough against the current threat before the actual relevant fighter/power up of the arc is revealed. I'm not talking about the characters actually taking the spotlight to beat the new villains, just getting some kind of hype that feels genuine before they're brought down.

The current storytelling mostly drops that altogether and the one time we got something similar with 17's training it was just briefly mentioned once with no details at all. It's why I'm saying that justifying new power ups for secondary characters shouldn't be hard, Toriyama just isn't bothering anymore. Either he does nothing or we get a very generic line like with 17.

I think it goes beyond just power ups and more about telling a story that has something going on besides fighting from the start, like the cat and mouse game on Namek or with Cell, that feels like a more effective use of the cast

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
They complained, but at the end when they saw the results they realized it was special all along. It's why you had Yamcha going to train with Roshi afterwards for example (and Kuririn still there). Same goes to Korin, who ends up training all humans before the 23rd Budokai.

It used to happen before though, like the reused Goku training, the elder Namekian potential unlock and Namekian fusion.

The manga never implied Roshi's training itself was special once you learned what it actually was so much as really, really tough to the point normal people would die. As in, conditioning. Yamcha didn't know what Roshi training was and just saw how strong Goku got and wanted in. And Korin's training definitely wasn't special since it was literally just the cast chasing a bottle of water. They went up the tower because they 'thought' the water was special, but they got Dumbo's magic feather.