• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone! What's up? Should I read this manga-exclusive (for now) arc? I have no idea who Moro is and what's going on and since we have no idea when the anime will come back, I might try reading the manga.
It's Toyo. You know what to expect.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I think the anime could do this arc only if it was gutted and retuned. Get rid of Moro and bring in a better villain with more interesting powers and design. Maybe keep the magic aspect. Give him at least Zamasu/Jiren level of backstory - even if it's simple and cliche I'd rather have something than nothing, I don't want to go back to 'he's just evil' no backstory villains where their sole motivation is to just destroy and/or conquer. Keep the galactic patrol stuff, it's cool to expand on the 'lore' like that, so the replacement villain could still be related to this. Perhaps the other escapees could be from some secret org, so the other DB fighters get a chance Keep Merus, but give him way more time with Goku in some slice of life episodes - like maybe have him befriend Goku as a member of the Galactic patrol. Have them hang out a bunch and become buddies. Make it like his early relationship with Krillin. Throw Jaco in there. It's like the perfect opportunity to bring back some of that early DB Goku and friends kind of storytelling. Then over time Merus identity is revealed and he's still about justice and sacrifice and does the whole helping out and disappearing thing eventually.

The other thing they'd have to rework a lot is Beerus. He can't just sit on the sidelines and not care anymore after the ToP. So you either have to have him get in on the action, like the new villain is a threat even to him and he has to get involved, or he needs to come in and erase the villain at some point. There's not really much else to do with him now, outside of him being way higher power level than the villain or having him join the team. The only other kind of thing would be to have him occupied with something that's actually important or somehow be unable to reach the events happening.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I think the anime could do this arc only if it was gutted and retuned. Get rid of Moro and bring in a better villain with more interesting powers and design. Maybe keep the magic aspect. Give him at least Zamasu/Jiren level of backstory - even if it's simple and cliche I'd rather have something than nothing, I don't want to go back to 'he's just evil' no backstory villains where their sole motivation is to just destroy and/or conquer. Keep the galactic patrol stuff, it's cool to expand on the 'lore' like that, so the replacement villain could still be related to this. Perhaps the other escapees could be from some secret org, so the other DB fighters get a chance Keep Merus, but give him way more time with Goku in some slice of life episodes - like maybe have him befriend Goku as a member of the Galactic patrol. Have them hang out a bunch and become buddies. Make it like his early relationship with Krillin. Throw Jaco in there. It's like the perfect opportunity to bring back some of that early DB Goku and friends kind of storytelling. Then over time Merus identity is revealed and he's still about justice and sacrifice and does the whole helping out and disappearing thing eventually.

The other thing they'd have to rework a lot is Beerus. He can't just sit on the sidelines and not care anymore after the ToP. So you either have to have him get in on the action, like the new villain is a threat even to him and he has to get involved, or he needs to come in and erase the villain at some point. There's not really much else to do with him now, outside of him being way higher power level than the villain or having him join the team. The only other kind of thing would be to have him occupied with something that's actually important or somehow be unable to reach the events happening.

So basically a completely different arc?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How does Vegeta know this technique?

We don't even know how Goku knows that technique in the first place. It never had a real introduction.

A recent update of Dragonball Heroes had a bunch of cards with a double team dragon fist with various pairs and the animated series was showcasing a bit of that, although with only one pair.

m200806000_6-1.jpg

m200806000_6-2.jpg

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
Goku Black and the Babari.

My fucking god lmao.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty good indication of what 2per could look like in motion, given a bunch of the DBS Broly staff is working on Dragon Quest...

someday

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
Super 2.0 is like 2 years away or more.

FML.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
I heard a rumour that the reason we haven't gotten a Super continuation is because AT hasn't written any new material yet.

Any truth to that?

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard a rumour that the reason we haven't gotten a Super continuation is because AT hasn't written any new material yet.

Any truth to that?

Likely he hasn't written enough for a series, but I think they could still go the filler route without him setting something up. Just seems like a logistics issue with the studio(s).

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this figure:

385cb090-4c32-4c0a-b57mk85.jpg

made me realize that GT Adult Goku is an underrated look

give Goku more outfits

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Likely he hasn't written enough for a series, but I think they could still go the filler route without him setting something up. Just seems like a logistics issue with the studio(s).
The whole reason we got Kai is because they didn't want to push an actual DB anime without Toriyama. I wouldn't be surprised if that's also why Heroes is just a net-series rather than a tv show too.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
The whole reason we got Kai is because they didn't want to push an actual DB anime without Toriyama. I wouldn't be surprised if that's also why Heroes is just a net-series rather than a tv show too.
Toei needs to cut off Toriyama then.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just saw this figure:

385cb090-4c32-4c0a-b57mk85.jpg

made me realize that GT Adult Goku is an underrated look

give Goku more outfits

I just hate GT Goku's pants.

Toei needs to cut off Toriyama then.

I have to disagree. While Toei is fine working with Toriyama material and expanding on it, they have proven themselves to be far less constant with doing stuff on their own. Sure, we do get great stuff like the Bardock Special and Move 13, but more often than not we get GT quality stuff. And we had what Battle of Gods would have been like without Toriyama, which had interesting ideas along with some ideas that sounds horrible.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Manga spoiler:

I actually completely agree with Geekdom for once. Toyo just keeps murdering Goku's character.

Oct 25, 2017
On toriyama not being included. On the one hand Toei has included goten and trunks in situations the movies didn't and even got a filler arc. On the other hand each time they did it was disrespect and that filler never happened

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Movies, GT & Moro Arc are examples of when Toriyama has less influence on story.

Do you all reaaally want to risk getting more of that?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Manga spoiler:

I actually completely agree with Geekdom for once. Toyo just keeps murdering Goku's character.

Fighting to help his friends isn't really the same thing as fighting for the entire universe. The main issue with this development is that I doubt it will stick beyond this one speech (He'll still be just fine with letting Freeza go around the universe as long as he's terrorizing people he doesn't know).

It's also hilarious to see this guy completely missing the entire point of that scene in the preview and its relation to UI in spite of it being basically spelled out in a previous chapter.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Fighting to help his friends isn't really the same thing as fighting for the entire universe. The main issue with this development is that I doubt it will stick beyond this one speech (He'll still be just fine with letting Freeza go around the universe as long as he's terrorizing people he doesn't know).

It's also hilarious to see this guy completely missing the entire point of that scene in the preview and its relation to UI in spite of it being basically spelled out in a previous chapter.

But Goku did fight for the entire universe last arc. Even shallowed his pride to work with Vegeta to take down Jiren and allowed himself to be double KO.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
But Goku did fight for the entire universe last arc. Even shallowed his pride to work with Vegeta to take down Jiren and allowed himself to be double KO.

Even though the stakes were the entire universe, character-wise it was only about friendship. That's what the entire conflict with Jiren was about (doing things alone vs with others).

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Even though the stakes were the entire universe, character-wise it was only about friendship. That's what the entire conflict with Jiren was about (doing things alone vs with others).

Not really in the Super manga. Friendship wasn't mentioned at all. What you're talking about is teamwork.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Toei will fix the Moro arc.

Let them continue. No damage has been done by them.

At the very least, it can't be worst than what we got unless they tank the animation.

Also, GT did arguably damaged the Dragon Ball name since it put the entire series in hibernation until Kai and Heroes outside of the PS2 and Wii games.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Also, GT did arguably damaged the Dragon Ball name since it put the entire series in hibernation until Kai and Heroes outside of the PS2 and Wii games.

Even those games only came years after GT had finished, and development for them primarily started aiming for the Western market. For a while after GT, Dragonball was actually dead as a franchise which is probably why they hesitate on going ahead on their own again.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Even those games only came years after GT had finished, and development for them primarily started aiming for the Western market. For a while after GT, Dragonball was actually dead as a franchise which is probably why they hesitate on going ahead on their own again.
Which is exactly why I don't think they'd adapt the Moro content since Toriyama barely has a hand in it.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, it can't be worst than what we got unless they tank the animation.

I meant Super's Toei.

We all know GT did damage.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I meant Super's Toei.

We all know GT did damage.

Super Toei was done under the guidance of Toriyama. The only recent Toei project we have is the scrapped concept of Battle of Gods. The one where Super Saiyan God had a cape, the Saiyans being evil being all on Beerus, and the plot being yet another take on the Garlic Jr Saga.

Last edited:

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
That and it's becoming more obvious that Toyo is copying other sources other than the original Dragon Ball manga. One Youtuber last month pointed out Merus kicking Moro into the air was ripped from Naruto.
His UI Goku is completely different in body shape now too...

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
His UI Goku is completely different in body shape now too...

Isn't it based on the anime despite Toyo's original version being more based on Toriyama's draft? That and the choreograph for UI looks.....stiff. That and Goku going Omen to UI was ripped from the anime Episode 129.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Isn't it based on the anime despite Toyo's original version being more based on Toriyama's draft? That and the choreograph for UI looks.....stiff. That and Goku going Omen to UI was ripped from the anime Episode 129.
Yep and I'm pretty sure he looked at FighterZ too. Look at the massive hands in some parts lol.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

It's not specifically the anime's (no eyebrow ridges for example), but yes, he's clearly buffer than the first time it was used in the manga. And even goes shirtless by the end of the chapter like in all UI promo material.