• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Despite Heroes' fanfic nature, they rarely come up with new forms. Like in the last ten years they only created Super Pikkon. And no, the Namekians' transformations don't count since they're based on Dragon Ball Online.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, wasn't a fan of last manga chapter. Also, what the fuck at Piccolo saying Vegeta knows when he's outmatched? Not even the most hardcore Vegeta stan would say that.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, wasn't a fan of last manga chapter. Also, what the fuck at Piccolo saying Vegeta knows when he's outmatched? Not even the most hardcore Vegeta stan would say that.
And in the same chapter that ends with Vegeta rushing headlong into a battle where he instantly loses. Rather than hyping Vegeta, it just makes Piccolo look dumb. Looking back, Toyotaro seems to write lines that make Piccolo look bad rather often when Piccolo is involved in the story somehow. It really makes it seem like he doesn't like him.

There was Piccolo being self-depreciating during the U6 arc, and he also undermined Piccolo training Gohan for the tournament by leaving it to one page and adding that extra chapter that showed Gohan training even before that point. It's all fairly minor, but at this point it's making a pattern.

Last edited:

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
And in the same chapter that ends with Vegeta rushing headlong into a battle where he instantly loses. Rather than hyping Vegeta, it just makes Piccolo look dumb. Looking back, Toyotaro seems to write lines that make Piccolo look bad rather often when Piccolo is involved in the story somehow. It really makes it seem like he doesn't like him.

There was Piccolo being self-depreciating during the U6 arc, and he also undermined Piccolo training Gohan for the tournament by leaving it to one page and adding that extra chapter that showed Gohan training even before that point. It's all fairly minor, but at this point is kind of making a pattern.
His Piccolo is so OOC, it wouldn't surprise me if he dislikes the character. If that's the case, why even bring him around at all. Even when he was fighting with Gohan, Piccolo spends most of the time being Gohan's cheerleader and not really his own character.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
So...whats the difference between absorption/fusion and the stuff that Moro does in the end? Why can't Vegeta cancel this new form?

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I'm thinking of getting into the DBS manga, but I'm not sure if it's worth retreading the events of the anime, or starting off where the anime ended. Any recommendations? If the latter, what volume should I start with? Thanks so much!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of getting into the DBS manga, but I'm not sure if it's worth retreading the events of the anime, or starting off where the anime ended. Any recommendations? If the latter, what volume should I start with? Thanks so much!
The manga is so vastly different that you are better off starting from the beginning if I'm being honest.
The bad news is that the majority of the differences make it a lot worse.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So...whats the difference between absorption/fusion and the stuff that Moro does in the end? Why can't Vegeta cancel this new form?

I'd guess it's mostly about him being an Android now, just like how Moro himself couldn't absorb the power of androids.

The manga is much faster paced than the anime for all the content that was covered by the anime, and has many differences. The BoGs arc even basically assumes you've already watched the movie (with the later movies being outright skipped, even though the manga does some extra set up for Revival F).

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I liked couple of crumbs that DBS Manga has. Like SSJ Black being used, which Toriyama specified.

But yeah, it has problems. Moro's new form is hilariously cliche.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm like completely out of the loop with the manga and Toriyama's involvement.

Does he give the manga staff a general idea of what he wants and they just roll with it or he's basically out of the picture? Does he even like how the manga is headed? Why isn't he more involved, if so?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm like completely out of the loop with the manga and Toriyama's involvement.

Does he give the manga staff a general idea of what he wants and they just roll with it or he's basically out of the picture? Does he even like how the manga is headed? Why isn't he more involved, if so?

Toriyama gives the outline for each arc, and also reviews the chapter's storyboards that come back afterwards, sometimes even redrawing or rewriting some content (like Ribrianne's interactions with Kuririn, 18 and Beerus in the manga were actually by Toriyama. He also also the one that drew Ribrianne's allies extending their hands like tentacles to hold 18). The manga volumes sometimes come with extra material showing some of Toriyama's direct input or corrections.

bBtBljo.png

Toyotaro has commented that Toriyama mostly focuses on comedic moments, although we know there have been a few times he was involved with serious elements. Toriyama drew the introduction of the U6 tournament with the space hymn and also redrew Toyotaro's take on the planet (which was very small initially rather than actually planet-sized). Toriyama was the one who pushed to make Shin more dignified and serious in the manga version of the Trunks arc, he also redrew Toyotaro's introductory panels for Zamasu. Toriyama also outright forced Toyotaro to change Belmod's introduction in the manga, where he initially was shown flirting with his angel, but apparently Toriyama doesn't want angels involved in romance (this one was from a tv show, rather than a manga volume).

3qBTbcd.png

The current arc is more muddled, since apparently Toyotaro was participating in its creation from the start, even designing the new ally and villains. However, it was mentioned in an interview that Merus' secret was actually Toriyama's idea.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Don't bother with the DBS manga.

To be fair, I think the Future Trunks Saga of the manga is worth reading. While I personally think it's vastly inferior to the anime for reasons I named so many times that people a probably sick of it, it does have many enjoyable parts and Goku vs Merged Zamasu is very good. Which is kinda of annoying that Toyo has been on a spiral since with the More arc only being better than his version of the TOP because his version of it was awful.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda ready to upgrade my DBZ movie collection to Blu-ray. Yet here I am still waiting for Funimation to port the newest transfers whom Toei randomly dumped on their streaming services and also released on Blu-ray like 2 years ago.

You would think they would like easy money considering they haven't released the Z films in 12 years ago in 2008. Bang Zoom was even nice to remaster the English audio track for Fusion Reborn and Movie 8 for those Theatrical releases they did before the Broly: Super film came out. Meanwhile. they're just sitting on them.

I'm not really in the mood to go out and buy their double feature Blu-ray's again when the newest transfers are already out there.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I think the Future Trunks Saga of the manga is worth reading. While I personally think it's vastly inferior to the anime for reasons I named so many times that people a probably sick of it, it does have many enjoyable parts and Goku vs Merged Zamasu is very good. Which is kinda of annoying that Toyo has been on a spiral since with the More arc only being better than his version of the TOP because his version of it was awful.
As good as Goku vs Zamasu is, it can't make up for all the shit Toyo pulled in that arc.

He completely ruined Black and Zamasu.

:/

Oct 25, 2017
why does toei hate dragon ball :(
The 30th anniversary sets were all on Funimation, but Toei has their own set of DB home media release problems.

At this point, I just want the movies re-released with their newest transfers over here. It's been 12 years since the last official HD release for them. I'd even take the old dubs again if they improved the audio like those theatrical releases they did a while back.

The transfer portion has already been finished by Toei, unless they want to color correct for them some more.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Regarding the future of Super and Dragonball in general, do people even want to see a time skip and have characters like Goten, Kid Trunks, Pan, Buu, Uub (is he even canon anymore?) etc. have story arcs and develop into more pronounced roles?

The way it is now, the power level ceiling is just so high and at a literal multiverse/deity level that unless they mess around with alternate timelines/universes then Goku/Vegeta are the only ones going forward who can be featured, but I feel like that's all anyone cares for anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to ignore the Moro arc entirely and just to give me a announcement that the next series is in development. Especially since their movie plans have probably been derailed thanks to the Coronavirus.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Regarding the future of Super and Dragonball in general, do people even want to see a time skip and have characters like Goten, Kid Trunks, Pan, Buu, Uub (is he even canon anymore?) etc. have story arcs and develop into more pronounced roles?

The way it is now, the power level ceiling is just so high and at a literal multiverse/deity level that unless they mess around with alternate timelines/universes then Goku/Vegeta are the only ones going forward who can be featured, but I feel like that's all anyone cares for anyway.

Ubu was mention a lot.

May 26, 2018

I kinda had an idea of... you could have one or two arcs where Goku keeps doing Goku things and breaking his limits, and eventually is fighting Angel-level threats, and after that's over Zeno is like "'y'all are too fucking powerful. DESCALE!" and everyone's back to DB power levels :P

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally they'd move the timeline to a point where you don't already everything will be fine because of the epilogue, but I think the setting of DB is just too narratively poisoned at this point to really tell an engaging story beyond what it is now.

Oct 25, 2017
We will eventually reach a point where either the main cast gets nerfed hard, or just retires. The ToP felt like it was scaled well enough, until Jiren got hyped up to the fucking moon.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect Toei to do a reboot for Z and make their own continuity where they wouldn't be beholden to the manga/anime before they ever get rid of the main cast.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I kinda had an idea of... you could have one or two arcs where Goku keeps doing Goku things and breaking his limits, and eventually is fighting Angel-level threats, and after that's over Zeno is like "'y'all are too fucking powerful. DESCALE!" and everyone's back to DB power levels :P

Yeah, could be a possibility, or the reverse where they make all the low power players super strong which could be fun.

If they want to stay on track they could just show Goku/Vegeta going to Universes 1, 5, 8, and 12 for fights/arcs which were supposedly even stronger than 11 since they were exempt from the ToP.