• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I really like'd this chapter, my only real complaints are than 17 and 18 aren't mentioned once when talking about fighters and it's weird that Piccolo didn't use telepathy to contact Tien, though to be fair his telepathy has always been weird and could have been used a million times in the franchise and just wasn't. I would not be surprised if Tien shows up next chapter after having sensed the fighting.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
I liked this chapter, the fight was pretty cool.
73 is a cool henchmen, got to see more of the rest.

The best part of this month's chapter is that Goku and Vegeta barely had any screen time.

Also did Toyo forgot his own ToP?
Goku activated UI when he remembered Roshi's teachings... this sounds like the anime.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

The best part of this month's chapter is that Goku and Vegeta barely had any screen time.

Goku activated UI when he remembered Roshi's teachings... this sounds like the anime.
Could be that he's been told to write the arc to work as a sequel to both the anime and manga. What Merus said is just vague enough that you could kinda make it work with the manga ToP.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Could be that he's been told to write the arc to work as a sequel to both the anime and manga. What Merus said is just vague enough that you could kinda make it work with the manga ToP.

Yeah, I read the UI chapters again and I guess it kinda fits with the manga.
But it felt more like Goku could activate UI on command in the manga.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017

I'll say it again: Goku and Vegeta are the worst part of the manga.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really hate those character designs for the mooks and for the alien races.

On another note how can the Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot artwork renders for the characters look perfect yet in game turn out so awful.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I guess I will be different here and just say, I didn't really care for this chapter.

The whole, 'we need every fighters we can get' is undermined by 17, 18, and even Goten and Trunks literally never being mentioned. 17 is the most annoying since freaking Yamcha is mentioned before him and he's one of the strongest people on the planet. Second only to Gohan going by this chapter (personally think 17 is stronger even going by the manga, but whatever). 18 makes no sense since she lives with Krillin, but didn't even get 'stay with Maron' like Resurrection 'F'.

How the criminals got to the Lookout is a little too contrived for my taste. Like how did they arrived exactly on the Lookout instead of some random desert. All they knew was that they were supposed to go to Earth. That and them robbing some random planet who just happened to have someone with a warp ability is a little much.

Piccolo's fight has some interesting moments, but was overall boring to me since Toyo took the most boring route for a mirror match. Namely, most of it was just Piccolo and 73 doing the exact same moves at the same time and Piccolo looks like a noob being unable to counter his own techniques. Which is really annoying since a similar gimmick was used in Rurouni Kenshin and the person who was the copier got his ass handed to him because copying something wasn't the same as mastering and he was fighting the person who invited said technique, so they knew all the weakness and flaws in it. So for someone who is as smart as Piccolo being unable to really do anything is just eye-rolling. And I'm not asking for Rurouni Kenshin's level of writing here, just that Piccolo shouldn't have been so helpless to his own techniques and movements.

How Goku got UI doesn't matched how he did it in the manga. When he got it, he got it by thinking of his past masters and what a meat head he was being, not because he was pushed to his limits and was about to die. That was in the anime. And what funny is when Merus said that they needed to recreate how Goku got UI, I told someone that they needed to get Roshi so he could flexed to Merus.

Overall, this chapter wasn't bad, but it failed to do what it was supposed to in my eyes. Build tension since Goku and Vegeta aren't there, when the Z-Fighters didn't even try to invite someone who is within the same league as them in 17, nor other powerful fighters like 18. That and Piccolo having trouble against his own fighting style really doesn't make 73 look dangerous so much as making Piccolo appear as a mediocre fighter.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Fucking hell Toyo, stop making Piccolo look incompetent. If he doesn't get some kind of W here I'm going to be pissed.

Krillin and Gohan getting involved is a nice touch though, but where the hell are the Androids? Just call your wife, Krillin jfc.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sucks that Goku is training with random angel that appeared out of nowhere like Meerus honestly. At this point in the game they should be making Beerus an active participant or make him Goku's teacher or something before jumping into the angels.

Goku at least has some history with him and it would nice to see Beerus used as something other than comedic relief.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
It's kinda odd how Beerus and Whis are not around at all. Not saying they need to get involved but it feels like they are being saved to the end arc or something

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Kinda sucks that Goku is training with random angel that appeared out of nowhere like Meerus honestly. At this point in the game they should be making Beerus an active participant or make him Goku's teacher or something before jumping into the angels.

Goku at least has some history with him and it would nice to see Beerus used as something other than comedic relief.

To be fair, we actually don't know if Merus is an angel. At this moment, it's just a popular theory.

On you other point, this is actually a major peeve with this arc.

Beerus barely survived the TOP where his universe would have been erased because he did such a piss poor job at doing his job. You would think after such an event where a bunch of mortals had to save his ass that he would try to take his job more seriously. And so far, he hasn't done anything about Moro and even was happy someone was destroying a planet because he didn't have to, which is how his mortal ranking is in the toilet. Heck, we haven't even gotten commentary from Shin nor Elder Kai on this, which is weird since Grand Supreme Kai came back, sorta. Which makes Manga Black's statement of Beerus being the most 'troublesome' god even more bullshit than it already was.

As for Beerus being a teacher, Beerus would just be a worse version of Whis.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
To be fair, we actually don't know if Merus is an angel. At this moment, it's just a popular theory.

Beerus barely survived the TOP where his universe would have been erased because he did such a piss poor job at doing his job. You would think after such an event where a bunch of mortals had to save his ass that he would try to take his job more seriously. And so far, he hasn't done anything about Moro and even was happy someone was destroying a planet because he didn't have to, which is how his mortal ranking is in the toilet. Heck, we haven't even gotten commentary from Shin nor Elder Kai on this, which is weird since Grand Supreme Kai came back, sorta. Which makes Manga Black's statement of Beerus being the most 'troublesome' god even more bullshit than it already was.

Beerus already failed at that by letting Freeza run free and destroy planets again.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell Toyo, stop making Piccolo look incompetent. If he doesn't get some kind of W here I'm going to be pissed.

Krillin and Gohan getting involved is a nice touch though, but where the hell are the Androids? Just call your wife, Krillin jfc.
How is Piccolo incompetent? Because a dude literally teleported behind him?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Beerus already failed at that by letting Freeza run free and destroy planets again.

Frieza at least saved everyone in the TOP and even Frieza don't destroy planets willy-nilly, unlike Moro who is literally eating the planets and sucking their life.

I don't think he teleported since I didn't see a warp. It isn't Instant Transmission.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Jaco: "Don't let this guy grab the back of your neck"

Piccolo: "Okay."

*5 seconds later*

Piccolo: "Oh shit, he got my neck!"

It would have been better if Piccolo hadn't received Jaco's warning beforehand. And on top of that, he got his ass kicked by his own moves, which is just lame.

Hopefully, Piccolo will get a cool moment in taking out the little guy that's harassing Jaco, Krillin will actually manage to beat the bear dude, and Gohan will get to show off against copy bot.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Jaco: "Don't let this guy grab the back of your neck"

Piccolo: "Okay."

*5 seconds later*

Piccolo: "Oh shit, he got my neck!"

It would have been better if Piccolo hadn't received Jaco's warning beforehand. And on top of that, he got his ass kicked by his own moves, which is just lame.

Hopefully, Piccolo will get a cool moment in taking out the little guy that's harassing Jaco, Krillin will actually manage to beat the bear dude, and Gohan will get to show off against copy bot.
He was focused on stopping Shimorekka, not that big of a deal.
Frieza at least saved everyone in the TOP and even Frieza don't destroy planets willy-nilly, unlike Moro who is literally eating the planets and sucking their life.

I don't think he teleported since I didn't see a warp. It isn't Instant Transmission.
I assume the fact that it showed his jewel with the image of one of those hedgehog dudes meant he did warp.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
I actually want Jaco to beat that small guy on his own. Considering jaco is 'small fry' etc would make sense. Jaco needs a win!

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Found the situation being set up interesting enough but I just don't find a single character in the manga interesting to watch

Oct 25, 2017

Well maybe not a teacher, but they should definetely do a fight or spar session just to see where and Goku and Vegeta are at. It would be more interesting to see him more active in any case.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, this storyline is kinda boring. Sure Toyo throws people a bone by getting other characters involved, but when everything about it all is just so bland it's like a waste. After having characters like Zamasu and Jiren who were relatively complex compared to the usual DB antagonist, Toyo went back to the just evil boring villains. There's not much going on in this arc right now.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Heck, we haven't even gotten commentary from Shin nor Elder Kai on this, which is weird since Grand Supreme Kai came back, sorta. Which makes Manga Black's statement of Beerus being the most 'troublesome' god even more bullshit than it already was.

It's pretty clear by now that it was just referencing his power, since Beerus is either the strongest or second strongest GoD according to the manga.

I can't remember at the moment, what excuses did Toriyama come up with at the time?

It wasn't quite an excuse. When Vegeta mentions the Dragonballs, Goku thinks that it's about bringing Gotenks and Gohan to help in the battle, but then Vegeta mentioned the Genki Dama plan, to allow Earth to protect itself, and so they never talk about them again.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda odd how Beerus and Whis are not around at all. Not saying they need to get involved but it feels like they are being saved to the end arc or something
They appeared earlier. Whis was watching what was happening on Namek and told Beerus but he didn't care because Namek doesn't have any food he likes. Maybe if Earth starts getting threatened he'll pop in but I took that as the author writing them out of this arc.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This was my favorite chapter this arc. I'm all for side characters getting time to shine. Gohan being confirmed to be the third strongest was dope, it's what we expected but the fact they had to outright say it was cool. 73 is ok. Nothing special to him as in a character arc given he's got no emotions or feelings, he exists just for a fight. Overall I mostly liked it due to the stuff away from the whole major character stuff.

And again, fuck Merus man. I'm sick of dude.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Found the situation being set up interesting enough but I just don't find a single character in the manga interesting to watch
Yeah, this storyline is kinda boring. Sure Toyo throws people a bone by getting other characters involved, but when everything about it all is just so bland it's like a waste. After having characters like Zamasu and Jiren who were relatively complex compared to the usual DB antagonist, Toyo went back to the just evil boring villains. There's not much going on in this arc right now.

That's where I'm at with it. It's like, alright, we finally got what a lot of us wanted, which is the side characters actually having non-fodder opponents to fight... but the execution just ain't doing it for me.

I'm bored.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's pretty clear by now that it was just referencing his power, since Beerus is either the strongest or second strongest GoD according to the manga.

It wasn't quite an excuse. When Vegeta mentions the Dragonballs, Goku thinks that it's about bringing Gotenks and Gohan to help in the battle, but then Vegeta mentioned the Genki Dama plan, to allow Earth to protect itself, and so they never talk about them again.

Except even that makes no sense either since because of how ungodly lazy Beerus is, he would be the easiest to kill since Shin wouldn't be protected. Unlike the other Supreme Kais who work with their Gods of Destruction. Like we directly see Ro and Shidra trying to work together and their universe sucks.

That and Black was such a weakling that any God of Destruction could kill him and what would Black even know of Beerus' power.

Problem isn't really Moro being an evil prick for the sake of being an evil prick. Toriyama showed with his writing that even villains with really shallow motives and personalities can be fun to watch. I mean, look at Frieza.

The problem is, Toyo can't write villains. His take on them is very bland and seems to follow the Dragon Ball villain handbook to a T with none of Toriyama's charm. Which is why Manga Black felts so shallow and lackluster compared to his anime counterpart.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018
Something I'd like to see that others might not:

Broly being pulled into a battle late in an arc to fight a big bad enemy force, and briefly teaming up with Kale as they both go Berserker SSJ. Lots and lots of sakuga. That'd be fun to watch.

Nov 2, 2017
So I'm getting art done for a redesigned SSJ concept, attempting to incorporate SSJ4 and God into one line, along with better foreshadowing for SSJ4 (obviously I understand that there was never foreshadowing for it since its noncanon shit). Trying to make it more cohesive.

vksgyoW.png

SSJ1 - SSJ2 (featuring Ikari eyes, probably yellow as well) - SSJ3 (featuring tail regrowth, fierce eyebrows rather than brow and Broly-like skin tearing along with greater muscle mass) - SSJ4 - Saiyan God

Any thoughts? Things you think would make it smoother, more interesting? It's hard to get changes later, so taking this to other DBZ fans before I can't ask for the artist to change stuff.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
So I'm getting art done for a redesigned SSJ concept, attempting to incorporate SSJ4 and God into one line, along with better foreshadowing for SSJ4 (obviously I understand that there was never foreshadowing for it since its noncanon shit). Trying to make it more cohesive.

SSJ1 - SSJ2 (featuring Ikari eyes, probably yellow as well) - SSJ3 (featuring tail regrowth, fierce eyebrows rather than brow and Broly-like skin tearing along with greater muscle mass) - SSJ4 - Saiyan God

Any thoughts? Things you think would make it smoother, more interesting? It's hard to get changes later, so taking this to other DBZ fans before I can't ask for the artist to change stuff.

One thing I've thought about the original Super Saiyan form is that the hair shouldn't be fully spiked. It makes telling the difference between the first 2 forms too difficult. You can tell that Gohan's SS and SS2 forms were probably designed at the same time because SS Gohan doesn't experience much of a hairstyle change - the spikes are saved for SS2. Once Toriyama had to make the form for characters for which it wasn't originally planned it looks way too similar.

I think the Super Saiyan form should have gold hair but either keep the character's normal hairstyle, or at most go with the Ultra Instinct hairstyle.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm kinda starting to think the new movie that we know is in development may have been fast tracked and we'll see it next winter and the show won't come back until 2021.

Nov 2, 2017
One thing I've thought about the original Super Saiyan form is that the hair shouldn't be fully spiked. It makes telling the difference between the first 2 forms too difficult. You can tell that Gohan's SS and SS2 forms were probably designed at the same time because SS Gohan doesn't experience much of a hairstyle change - the spikes are saved for SS2. Once Toriyama had to make the form for characters for which it wasn't originally planned it looks way too similar.

I think the Super Saiyan form should have gold hair but either keep the character's normal hairstyle, or at most go with the Ultra Instinct hairstyle.
Yeah, SSJ2 being such a minor change really does bite the whole thing in the butt.

In terms of redesign, it just makes it something of a quandary, because ideally, I'd want SSJ1 to be the closest to how it is originally, due to its iconic status, but then it's too samey to SSJ2. That's why for this concept, I gave SSJ2 the "Ikari" eyes. Both to distinguish it further from SSJ1, and also to add Oozaru elements earlier.

That, and adult Gohan's standard hair already basically being SSJ style makes it obnoxious from a style perspective.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Honestly I'm kinda starting to think the new movie that we know is in development may have been fast tracked and we'll see it next winter and the show won't come back until 2021.

If that is true, makes one wonder what was up with Geekdom and Ajay's sources, even more than now. Although, it would lampooned others who kept insisting that it was Stampede's fault that Super was 'delayed'.