• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
The issue with that rewrite is that... it's a complete rewrite. It's a type of story that Toriyama would never write and it's pretty obvious due to how many changes are added even to the segment of the series where Gohan was the protagonist. Gohan could be kept in the lead position without nearly as many changes.

The point where I think Toriyama had given up on Gohan as the lead is when the Z Sword breaks and elder Kaioshin reveals his ability. It's clear that the Ultimate form without any dramatic stakes or serious build up would never be the plot device that would close the arc.

Maybe the power up still would be there, but Gohan would leave with it incomplete in order to save whoever was left on Earth, and unlock the actual form during battle? Then the epilogue would go back to the fallout of his identity reveal and give bigger focus to Videl's crush on him, rather than swiping aside that entire side of the arc.
Well that's just it. You can adjust a couple things in the existing story without much effort. Even having him at the final fight with Boo would go a long way.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Oh boy there's a lot of power level debate that can be had around this point but based solely on what the manga gives us we can be reasonably sure of this interpretation yes

I figured. I know SS3 Goku was about matched with Kid Buu except for the stamina drain, and my impression was that Ultimate was kind of like "the maximum potential power of the Saiyan (so SS3 level or maybe more) with no actual transformation and therefore the stamina of their base form".

Though I suppose now we should assume "maximum power without God ki".

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Gohan was stronger than SS3 Gotenks who was supposedly a bit stronger than SS3 Goku, I'd assume that Ultimate Gohan would definitely stomp

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
There's even evidence to imply that regular old SSJ Gotenks is stronger than SSJ3 Goku which would make the gap even bigger but that's a whole new discussion lol
lol yeah.

But yeah, Toriyama made up some really dumb reasons as to why they didn't just grab Gohan and bring him there. Really not a fan of that kind of writing.

Oct 27, 2017

I can't remember it entirely but Piccolo is extremely confident after training in the Time chamber that Gotenks would be able to wipe the floor with Fat Buu and he didn't even fathom they might be able to go beyond a regular Super Saiyan.

There's other stuff too that supports this but I don't remember. But anyway by this point Piccolo had sensed Buu's strength face-to-face so unless you believe Piccolo of all people is an inept idiot you kinda end up with the fact that Piccolo confidently rated SSJ Gotenks at about the same level as SSJ3 Goku

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember it entirely but Piccolo is extremely confident after training in the Time chamber that Gotenks would be able to wipe the floor with Fat Buu and he didn't even fathom they might be able to go beyond a regular Super Saiyan.

There's other stuff too that supports this but I don't remember. But anyway by this point Piccolo had sensed Buu's strength face-to-face so unless you believe Piccolo of all people is an inept idiot you kinda end up with the fact that Piccolo confidently rated SSJ Gotenks at about the same level as SSJ3 Goku
Feels good.gif

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe controversial, but perhaps they should have made SS3 Goku, SS3 Gotenks, Ult. Gohan, Super Buu & Kid Buu relatively within same ballpark of level. Then bringing Gotenks & Gohan to fight against Kid Buu might not have been a stomp.

If Goku winning isn't unfair, maybe Gohan & Gotenks could have faired bit worse due less focus on training, which is a thing now thanks to Super and Roshi performing well with that logic. Add giving Kid Buu regen that would force them to use a Spirit Bomb to guarantee the win.

I don't really mind Goku being the MC of Dragon Ball. I don't think changing it is necessarily required. It definitely felt like when they entered Babidi's ship that Goku & Vegeta stole focus from Gohan. That was probably when shift from Gohan as MC changed, or at least started.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really mind Goku being the MC of Dragon Ball. I don't think changing it is necessarily required. It definitely felt like when they entered Babidi's ship that Goku & Vegeta stole focus from Gohan. That was probably when shift from Gohan as MC changed, or at least started.

I don't think so. Gohan is shown in a bad light at that point, but it's mostly building up to him recovering his former power. It's especially noticeable in the manga where Goku vs Majin Vegeta ends up as an oddly brief side-note rather than an actual emotional battle that receives a lot of focus. I think the point where it's clear Goku is taking over is when he arrives on the Supreme planet. He is the one that drives them to break the Z Sword for example, being the active factor in Gohan's story there, then we get Gohan getting a big power up, but in a way that doesn't make any climatic sense for the story, which leads to him losing very quickly after his debut.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so. Gohan is shown in a bad light at that point, but it's mostly building up to him recovering his former power. It's especially noticeable in the manga where Goku vs Majin Vegeta ends up as an oddly brief side-note rather than an actual emotional battle that receives a lot of focus. I think the point where it's clear Goku is taking over is when he arrives on the Supreme planet. He is the one that drives them to break the Z Sword for example, being the active factor in Gohan's story there, then we get Gohan getting a big power up, but in a way that doesn't make any climatic sense for the story, which leads to him losing very quickly after his debut.
Maybe?

After Gohan lost to Buu first time, Goku did get his time again teaching fusion and stalling Buu with SS3. So I think Goku did get much more focus than Gohan after that.

Then again it might have been the Toriyama method, where Goku doesn't show up until late, so maybe he was planning on doing that to Gohan.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe?

After Gohan lost to Buu first time, Goku did get his time again teaching fusion and stalling Buu with SS3. So I think Goku did get much more focus than Gohan after that.

Then again it might have been the Toriyama method, where Goku doesn't show up until late, so maybe he was planning on doing that to Gohan.

Yeah, that's what I think was going on. Goku has more focus than Gohan there, but he also isn't really portrayed as the hero. He says he wouldn't be able to beat Buu and then leaves things with Piccolo to train Goten and Trunks. The one actual direct retcon Toriyama makes in the final battle is Goku stating that he'd have been able to finish Fat Buu before and he made a mistake in not doing it at that point, so it definitely seems like setting up Gotenks wasn't done with Goku as the main hero in mind, in spite of Goku's involvement there.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Technically Goku did want originally to leave earth in care of other people since he was dead.

Maybe that's why he changed his mind, he was alive again lol.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe?

Gohan was in Goku's typical "wait for the hero" role at that point, so the focus for him was waiting for him to come back and save the day.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
There's actually a good amount of fanfics out there that do just that. It doesn't take much, the only limitations are the imagination of the writer.
louisacommie's examples are actually a few I've seen used... Gohan specifically getting SSG seems popular because they'll have Goku reject it either because he stayed dead or because it's not earned power.
My post Z fanfics are heavily Gohan focused. Though I haven't really done Super fanfic stuff, yet.

Oct 25, 2017
My post Z fanfics involved goten and trunks not giving up on fighting even tho it goes against the entire characters up to that point.(no seriously why did everybody give up but goku post Z what a weird way to write that)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
this week in "holy shit 2per might look incredible if they put the same effort into it":

these are random, relatively unimportant moments in One Piece getting the full SAKUGA treatment

important moments in 2per about to look like DBS Broly

Oct 25, 2017
this week in "holy shit 2per might look incredible if they put the same effort into it":

these are random, relatively unimportant moments in One Piece getting the full SAKUGA treatment

Lol fodder kick and filler flashback... we not even in the grove of the things yet. Flexing to flex. 2per gonna look clean

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
sakuga twitter accounts are weird because twitter's ass bitrate completely ruins the scenes lol

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
My post Z fanfics involved goten and trunks not giving up on fighting even tho it goes against the entire characters up to that point.(no seriously why did everybody give up but goku post Z what a weird way to write that)
My post z fanfics had Goten and Trunks find different ways to use their ki, so it wasn't just about them being as stronger or stronger than everyone else.

Goten could create a whip that could slice through anything.
Trunks created portals that he could open or close wherever he wanted, to absorb and then redirect energy attacks back at the enemy.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, Super is going to look great when it comes back. What they were able to achieve on season 1 with a fucked up production and mediocre to poor character designs was impressive in its own right, but now that those won't be issues anymore we should be in for a real treat. I imagine Super will be of pretty equivalent quality to what One Piece is now.
Now it would be nice if they would just fucking announce it. At the very least it'd be nice if they told us if Kitaro is ending in March or June so we'd have a better idea of when we might get an announcement for Super if it does take the timeslot back.
The Dragon Ball franchise turns 35 on November 20th, that'd be a nice time to announce, but I would recommend nobody get their hopes up for that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Here's some Tsuji stuff from a Karaoke thing in Japan, her style has gotten so good after Shintani.
EG6Lh2fU0AA6Fiz

EG6Lh2fUcAApOFj
EG6Lh2fUcAEfBLP

EG6Lh2iU4AE_qLw

unknown.png

Feels good to have some promo animation that totally ignores Yamamuro's style. Hopefully this is a sign that his style will finally start to be phased out.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Here's some Tsuji stuff from a Karaoke thing in Japan, her style has gotten so good after Shintani.
EG6Lh2fU0AA6Fiz

EG6Lh2fUcAApOFj
EG6Lh2fUcAEfBLP

EG6Lh2iU4AE_qLw

unknown.png

Feels good to have some promo animation that totally ignores Yamamuro's style. Hopefully this is a sign that his style will finally start to be phased out.

Nice, that looks good.

Interesting that it's not following Yam's modern style, but it's not really Shintani either.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
color pallet is so much better than the super bright shiny modern yamamuro style

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yardrat outfit Vegeta, Piccolo and Jaco fight the Hit look-a-like and the little dude who cut those Pui Pui race dudes in to pieces and Gohan and Krillin are ready to fight.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
So about those manga spoilers
- I'm glad this new dude is giving the others a chance to fight.
- Gohan is the third strongest on Earth behind Goku and Vegeta which is what we expected, glad he's getting a fight here.
- Merus doesn't have a scratch on him yet. Still can't stand this dude.
- Vegeta's gonna learn this thing quickly, guaranteed.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The Hit lookalike is

73, an artificial warrior created by a dead civilization who can mimic the power of the ones he faces, without needing to absorb them, just touch the back of their neck. He also has infinite stamina like the earth androids.

He suddenly feels like he could have been main villain material.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Hit lookalike is

73, an artificial warrior created by a dead civilization who can mimic the power of the ones he faces, without needing to absorb them, just touch the back of their neck. He also has infinite stamina like the earth androids.

Too late no takebacks

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The Hit lookalike is

With him being the first major henchman to be taken on it makes you wonder what some of the others might have in store.
It's cool that Gohan will likely take down such a major threat.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I remember folks always clamoring for an arc like this, Goku and Vegeta off in space taking care of some crazy cosmic threat while Gohan and the rest take care of shit back on earth