• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The gods often don't know stuff that others do, that is a non issue. How does he know about it? Who knows, maybe we'll find out.
He's not teaching Goku UI, he's trying to help him figure it out, having a fresh perspective could be what Goku needs to figure it out and Merus being crazy fast is a perfect sparring partner to try to figure out UI since it would help him counter him.

A good example of Gods not knowing stuff is Buu Arc in DBZ with both Shin and Kibito not realizing how powerful Saiyan's were. Especially in regards to their reaction of them transforming super and the Z-Sword stuff.

The Gods in DB may be powerful, but there have been multiple cases that proven that they aren't all-knowing.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Raw out. Hearing rumors from people saying that Merus said that in the ROSAT he can show his true power against Goku and go all out. He's been holding back.
ucMEfWh.gif

Fucking really?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually surprised Toyotaro included the DB Online design for the Yardrats, rather than just going with the Toei ones (although they were still there). I wonder if Toriyama himself even remembers those designs?

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
I love that Toyo is using the DBO designs, modern Dragon Ball should take as much as possible from DBO.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
so Whis couldn't teach Goku how to use UI but some rando galactic patrolman will................. Ok

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Eng chapter is out:

I liked the Yardrat jokes with Vegeta. Vegeta better learn something new, and not just IT.
Seems like Gohan, Tien, Krillin etc are joining. could be cool.

Merus being stronger was setup since early chapters, so I'm not gonna judge that too soon.
He's probably related to GoD stuff or just an angel.

I liked the chapter, it was decent.
Goku and Vegeta being away from each other is great.

I also love that Toyo is using the dbo designs for the Yardrats:
latest
and

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Actually thought it was a pretty good chapter, some of the stuff people were raising a stink about was misconstrued.
However it is now clear that there is way more to Merus than him just being some Galactic Patrol member.
My money is on him being an angel who for some reason is posing as a mortal.
EE6wfDgUwAA3R34
EE6wfDjVUAA5eYQ

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Pretty one. Stupid one. One with weird powers. Not quite but close enough.

Dunno how I feel about Merus. Assuming that he is just some random Galactic Patrol guy I think it would be fine if even at his full power, he's fairly weak but Ultra Instinct makes him an amazing fighter. Like, if he had fought Freeza way back when, I like to think that he would have been able to dodge his attacks and land some hits, but he wouldn't have had enough power to actually do much damage to him. Or maybe there's something more to the guy, I dunno.

Everything else was pretty awesome though. Vegeta is FINALLY doing his own thing that will set him apart from Goku as a warrior and it doesn't seem like BS at all, and it seems like the supporting cast is actually going to get some screentime, which is awesome, seeing Piccolo in action was a treat.

Please get 17 in there, Toyo, it's too good of an opportunity to pass up on.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty one. Stupid one. One with weird powers. Not quite but close enough.

Dunno how I feel about Merus. Assuming that he is just some random Galactic Patrol guy I think it would be fine if even at his full power, he's fairly weak but Ultra Instinct makes him an amazing fighter. Like, if he had fought Freeza way back when, I like to think that he would have been able to dodge his attacks and land some hits, but he wouldn't have had enough power to actually do much damage to him. Or maybe there's something more to the guy, I dunno.

Everything else was pretty awesome though. Vegeta is FINALLY doing his own thing that will set him apart from Goku as a warrior and it doesn't seem like BS at all, and it seems like the supporting cast is actually going to get some screentime, which is awesome, seeing Piccolo in action was a treat.

Please get 17 in there, Toyo, it's too good of an opportunity to pass up on.
The chapter made it pretty clear he's not just some rando, he's actively hiding his powers for some currently unstated reason. At this point I'm pretty sure he's an angel or something.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I didn't even think about that one, lmao.

That was before it was revealed there was more to him. Crazy how new info can change someone's thoughts on something.
Not sure what kind of "got ya!" this was supposed to be.

Anyone who was paying halfway attention didn't need this chapter to figure that out, especially Meerus is/was an angel is at least two months old. That's how transparent it was.

And it wasn't meant as a 'got ya'. I was pointing out that others said for months that Meerus wasn't natural for several different reasons, but you kept insisting that he was only fast. To the point that I honestly not surprised Meerus knows UI in some form. My reaction was, 'of course you do' because Meerus is a badly done OC fanfic character who almost beat from beat follows the same cliches as them.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who was paying halfway attention didn't need this chapter to figure that out, especially Meerus is/was an angel is at least two months old. That's how transparent it was.

And it wasn't meant as a 'got ya'. I was pointing out that others said for months that Meerus wasn't natural for several different reasons, but you kept insisting that he was only fast. To the point that I honestly not surprised Meerus knows UI in some form. My reaction was, 'of course you do' because Meerus is a badly done OC fanfic character who almost beat from beat follows the same cliches as them.
So it's obvious now that he was an angel? Earlier you were saying he was a random galactic patrol member who had a special power.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter ended like I expected. Grrrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttt.

Merus is the most fanficy character to come in this manga in a long time. Dude's trash. You mean to tell me he's all of this and he's still holding back? Yeah, OK. It's like if a fan generated their own story for their custom character, you'd get Merus.

This cool Galactic Patrol guy comes in and he's the star of the entire force. In some panels he looks like Trunks, yeah yeah.
Come to find out that he can do all this cool stuff that Goku and Vegeta couldn't do on an opponent who they can't beat.
Come to find out that even when his back's against the wall he can come up with a plan to get himself out of it like he's done in a few chapters.
Come to find out this guy's ridiculously fast. People try to say he's just fast but we know how this goes.
Come to find out this guy can out maneuver SSj3 even.
Come to find out this guy's got his own ROSAT.
Come to find out this guy's known about UI, has been keeping it from Goku and now he'll teach him how to use it.
Come to find out this guy's been holding back the entire time and now he'll go all out.

He's a badly written character regardless if he's an angel or not. Doesn't take away that he's bad. He's got no flaws.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Merus is the most fanficy character to come in this manga in a long time. Dude's trash. You mean to tell me he's all of this and he's still holding back? Yeah, OK. It's like you if a fan generated their own story for their custom character, you'd get Merus.

This cool Galactic Patrol guy comes in and he's the star of the entire force. He does all this cool stuff that Goku and Vegeta couldn't do on an opponent who they can't beat.
Come to find out this guy's ridiculously fast. People try to say he's just fast but we know how this goes.
Come to find out this guy can out maneuver SSj3.
Come to find out this guy's known about UI, has been keeping it from Goku and now he'll teach him how to use it.
Come to find out this guy's been holding back the entire time and now he'll go all out.

He's a badly written character regardless if he's an angel or not. Doesn't take away that he's bad. He's got no flaws.

He's clearly hiding his strength for a reason, the chapter makes that clear. Without knowing why he is doing so it's kinda dumb to call him a badly written character.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Merus is the most fanficy character to come in this manga in a long time. Dude's trash. You mean to tell me he's all of this and he's still holding back? Yeah, OK. It's like you if a fan generated their own story for their custom character, you'd get Merus.

This cool Galactic Patrol guy comes in and he's the star of the entire force. In some panels he looks like Trunks, yeah yeah.
Come to find out that he can do all this cool stuff that Goku and Vegeta couldn't do on an opponent who they can't beat.
Come to find out that even when his back's against the wall he can come up with a plan to get himself out of it like he's done in a few chapters.
Come to find out this guy can out maneuver SSj3 even.

Lmao having it all listed out here, damn where's the lie

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
So it's obvious now that he was an angel? Earlier you were saying he was a random galactic patrol member who had a special power.

No. I'm saying that it was obvious that something wasn't right with Meerus, so much so that him being an angel is a valid theory. I'm not sure what Meerus is, but I knew for months that he was more than just fast and so did many others.

And I used 'random' because that's what he is. A random person with outstanding power and knowledge that he really shouldn't have like how did he know what happened with Buu? Buu splitting in half isn't common internet knowledge in Dragon Ball along with Buu absorbing the Supreme Kais since that happened millions of years ago. Even if he's an angel, Toyo needs to do a lot of explaining why an angel is posing as a cop in U7 who can't even fly and not dealt with Frieza who's expanding his empire again, and Toyo has given me no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt since he shat the bed almost every time I tried.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
About Merus:
There used to be a handful of other universes out there before Zeno destroyed them, right? Merus was probably the angel from one of those, and now he's stuck passing himself off as a mortal because he doesn't have a universe of his own to preside over.

That would explain why he can't use any of his power beyond a bit of Ultra Instinct normally, since angels aren't supposed be getting involved with the affairs of mortals, and the time chamber would be a place where the Grand Priest and Zeno wouldn't notice if he went all out.

As flawed as he would still be, that would be a decent start at explaining at least some of the problems surrounding him, I think.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
He's clearly hiding his strength for a reason, the chapter makes that clear. Without knowing why he is doing so it's kinda dumb to call him a badly written character.
He's badly written for multiple reasons, just look at everything I wrote there. It's too much. It's not like he did 1 or 2 things but he did all of that to the point where Goku and Vegeta, the main characters right now, looked like crap for such a long time and now in order to win they need help from this dude. Merus has so many feats in such a short amount of chapters, like what? There's no difference between everything he's done and a 13 year old kid writing his own fic. Say the guy's a fallen angel then hey you mean to tell me he's a race that's stronger than the Saiyans too? What next?

I can't think of anything that's more of a fanfic in this series than Merus's entire character. Even the U6 Saiyans, for as much as people got on them, weren't like this.

I also doubt there's a reason that's legit enough to explain why Merus is holding back. You mean to tell me that when Moro, the most dangerous criminal to exist apparently, is zapping planets of their energy this dude's just holding back because he's afraid to let people know who he is?

Come on now.
Lmao having it all listed out here, damn where's the lie
Toyo literally said "fuck it lemme make my own character real quick" here lmao. It doesn't make any sense.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
About Merus:
There used to be a handful of other universes out there before Zeno destroyed them, right? Merus was probably the angel from one of those, and now he's stuck passing himself off as a mortal because he doesn't have a universe of his own to preside over.

That would explain why he can't use any of his power beyond a bit of Ultra Instinct normally, since angels aren't supposed be getting involved with the affairs of mortals, and the time chamber would be a place where the Grand Priest and Zeno wouldn't notice if he went all out.

As flawed as he would still be, that would be a decent start at explaining at least some of the problems surrounding him, I think.

Meerus wouldn't even be activated as noted in the Future Trunks Saga. That and the angels had no problem being with Zeno after their universe was erased as seen in the TOP.

Nov 11, 2017
I'm not really seeing how Vegeta's training on Yardarat is going to be very helpful with fighting Moro. I mean Goku already got IT and making clones and gigantification can't be too helpful against Moro.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
He's badly written for multiple reasons, just look at everything I wrote there. It's too much. It's not like he did 1 or 2 things but he did all of that to the point where Goku and Vegeta, the main characters right now, looked like crap for such a long time and now in order to win they need help from this dude. Merus has so many feats in such a short amount of chapters, like what? There's no difference between everything he's done and a 13 year old kid writing his own fic. Say the guy's a fallen angel then hey you mean to tell me he's a race that's stronger than the Saiyans too? What next?

I can't think of anything that's more of a fanfic in this series than Merus's entire character. Even the U6 Saiyans, for as much as people got on them, weren't like this.

I also doubt there's a reason that's legit enough to explain why Merus is holding back. You mean to tell me that when Moro, the most dangerous criminal to exist apparently, is zapping planets of their energy this dude's just holding back because he's afraid to let people know who he is?

Come on now.
Uh, no? Literally all of that can easily be explained by what he ends up being and why he's hiding his power.
I'm not really seeing how Vegeta's training on Yardarat is going to be very helpful with fighting Moro. I mean Goku already got IT and making clones and gigantification can't be too helpful against Moro.

Those are likely just simple examples of what the Yardrats are capable of, and since Vegeta is a fighter he can likely come up with things of his own with Spirital Control.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, no? Literally all of that can easily be explained by what he ends up being and why he's hiding his power.
You're not understanding the point. It's not about if it can be explained in a storyline, it's about how it makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Having a character do so many feats in such a short amount of time to where it undermines main characters, to where the main characters need said character to where this guy appears to be the coolest guy ever with a race stronger than the heroes race, to where this guy has his own cool things, what?

It's less of a character and more of a "hey let's make this guy the coolest guy in the room" situation. That's what they're trying to do. They just made a cool guy and threw him in rather than make a character who fits in the story well. He's more about "being the cool guy who can do everything" than an actual character.

There's nothing Merus can do or be that would be different than someone's kid brother making a new strong character.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Merus being an undercover angel or god or something would make me feel much better about him. I've been mixed-positive about this arc so far but I think it's really coming along. I will say though that I don't fine Moro to be an interesting antagonist, personality-wise.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
If you want to know how to do a overpowered, inexplicable awesome character well, just look at Whis.

When he's introduced, he shown to be little more than Beerus' butler with Google Staff and isn't until the end of the movie that you learned who he really is. And even then he only has one feat of knocking Beerus out wit ha chop. Which is impressive, but compared to the other feats he's later shown doing it's small fries. Like it took another movie to learn he can rewind time, 82 episodes to learn that he can pop out babies, and another 49 episodes before we learned that he can revived dead people. If Whis was introduced with all these things in a short time period, then he would be a badly done character from that stand point.

Also, not helping Meerus is outside of how awesome he appears to be, he's a nothing personality. There is really nothing to him and he comes off even more dull compared to the far more colorful and interesting Jaco. Which is another trapping of a poorly done OC you find in fanfic. Way too much time spending given them awesome powers and abilities, but given them almost nothing in the personality department. Meerus is supposed to be super cop to Jaco's idiot cop, but he's blander than wallpaper. But that isn't a surprised since Toyo had shown repeatedly that he can't write characters. Jiren was honestly the best he has done in that department.

But complaints aside, Meerus is the least issues I have with this entire arc. I will just put this here since I keep thinking about, but I'm honestly annoyed that Goku didn't even remotely suggests the Evil Containment Wave and not sure how UI is supposed to help him keep his energy from draining outside of allowing him to beat Moro fast, which he honestly should be able to do without UI.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Merus is probably one of the worst OCs I've seen in a long time. Him being
an angel or whatever
would just sour the pot even more. I'm really just tired of that sort of focus after the ToP. Like yeah, getting Dragon Team assembled is cool and all but Toyo's just repeating the same beats we saw with RoF:

Piccolo senses bad dudes
Goku and Vegeta are off-planet training
Bad dudes show up on Earth
Dragon Team assembles.

I'm just bored at this point.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Merus be kinda interesting tho

He's only really interesting on what he might be. Character-wise, there's really nothing to him. He's honestly worse than Jiren in that aspect since Jiren being an asshole who roosts everyone made him somewhat interesting.

Edit: Found this gem on Kanzenshuu:

2sNUnJa.png

Last edited:

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
You know… where is Beerus?

Did Beerus ask Whis to bring an Angel to train Goku & Vegeta and let them fix Moro on their own? I know he is bad at job but surely he would notice someone literally eating planets.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Having read the chapter, there are somethings I'm not sold on, but I'm willing to wait and see.

Honestly, my biggest concern right now is Vegeta is gonna end up using shadow clone jutsu to punch Moro.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Merus is starting, if not already, what some people thought 17 was during the ToP tbh