• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, the Freeza and Boo spellings have always felt way too on the nose to me. It's like if Beerus was Beers.
Believe it or not Beerus is more accurate than Beers, it's why Kanzenshuu coined that spelling. The name isn't written like "Beers" in Japanese because the original pun before Toriyama came on board was on Virus.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
No jokes here, just the truth!
So while I couldn't find any examples of her being called Kafla (admittedly just a quick Google search and two wikis), "Kafla" does make more sense as a name than Kefla does. The wiki even says "Kefla's name is derived from Kale and Caulifla". Ok...

Oh, speaking of the wiki, it was changed back to "Buu". It's been a few days and it's already changed again, I shit you not (This is the article I noticed on).

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So while I couldn't find any examples of her being called Kafla (admittedly just a quick Google search and two wikis), "Kafla" does make more sense as a name than Kefla does. The wiki even says "Kefla's name is derived from Kale and Caulifla". Ok...

Oh, speaking of the wiki, it was changed back to "Buu". It's been a few days and it's already changed again, I shit you not (This is the article I noticed on).
Dragon Ball Wiki sucks hard. Always has.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I pretty much use all of the dub spellings except Freeza>Frieza and "Tien" feels really silly.
Yeah, your way is probably correct and more accurate to the og language. Still wild to me since none of the games, dvds or books I own use "Freeza" and I never see/hear anything but Tien until I dive into forums or read translated online manga.

I never read the Viz manga. Are those the spellings they use?

Dragon Ball Wiki sucks hard. Always has.
Lol maybe some internal squabbling amongst the administrators?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah, your way is probably correct and more accurate to the og language. Still wild to me since none of the games, dvds or books I own use "Freeza" and I never see/hear anything but Tien until I dive into forums or read translated online manga.

Lol maybe some internal squabbling amongst the administrators?

I think it's mostly that "Frieza" just seems exceptionally arbitrary because it's basically pronounced the exact same.

Edit: I guess thats true with Buu too.

Tien just seems weird to me that Tenshinhan became Tien Shinhan. Idk, it just personally seems like something 4kids would come up with.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Viz does use Freeza, Tenshinhan and Boo, but they have lots of weird shit too. Saibamen are Cultivars for example. They also changed "Majin" to "Djinn".

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Viz does use Freeza, Tenshinhan and Boo, but they have lots of weird shit too. Saibamen are Cultivars for example. They also changed "Majin" to "Djinn".
Funny, I have a Masako X video (DBZA Goku voice) on in the background. He's doing a Tier list of every saga in DB, DBZ, DBGT and DBS. He uses mostly Funi/US spellings and pronunciations but I've started noticing he often uses the full "Tenshinhan" and he just did in this video.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly that's the writing they use for Beerus in the German translated Bamco games to this day. No other piece of media uses friggin' "Bills" here, I just don't understand why they insist on keeping that mistake. Consistency, I guess?

On the positive side, we're finally getting Broly dubbed on July 30th, and with the legendary voice actors of our DBZ dub at that! Kazé redeemed.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly that's the writing they use for Beerus in the German translated Bamco games to this day. No other piece of media uses friggin' "Bills" here, I just don't understand why they insist on keeping that mistake. Consistency, I guess?

On the positive side, we're finally getting Broly dubbed on July 30th, and with the legendary voice actors of our DBZ dub at that! Kazé redeemed.

Ui. Will have to buy now.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Ui. Will have to buy now.
I would've bought it anyway because I really like the Super cast, especially Stefan Bräuler. He does a great Goku, so I hope nothing changes for the series at least.

But anyway, it's nice that Kazé listens to fan demands once in a while. One can only hope that the sound mixing is better compared to the series, because the dub is done by TV+Synchron again. It's my only gripe with the dub. But I heard they improved their mixing, so there's still hope. We'll see next month when the FT Arc drops.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Caught up to the manga. This story definitely has potential, but it also definitely needs to be told in a better manner. Unfortunately with it being a monthly manga it's kinda forced to follow a fairly speedy pace, but Moro as a villain definitely could use some of the same type of "slower" tension that Freeza and the Androids used. A known threat that takes it's time to make any move, but when it does it causes mayhem.

The Buu stuff is interesting but also a bit of double edged sword as I can see them reverting it when the arc is done.

Still, so far so good. Can't say I expected much and yet I'm enjoying what we have.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
How do you jerk off about how the series looks then put movie 12 at the bottom

Yeah that's what surprised me. He loves Broly and constantly (and rightfully) shits on resurrection f because of how terrible it looks but puts BoG top tier.... even though it looks just as bad.

BoG has a fun story but being sandwiched between the classics and now Broly places it squarely into "old man Yams ruins everything" tier at the bottom. I mean, it was always ugly but now it ESPECIALLY doesn't hold up.

I'd legit watch a Shintani led remake of that movie and probably enjoy it a whole lot more.

Oct 25, 2017
It's so much more than that tf. The visuals in hell make up half the movie and are awesome.

Weird ass floating blood pond. Spike ball mountain. Chrome land. Giant jelly beans

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to rank them I'd go...

S Tier - Broly, Battle of Gods
A Tier - Resurrection F', Wrath of the Dragon
B Tier - Bojack Unbound, Dead Zone, Tree of Might, Fusion Reborn, Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan, Path to Power
C Tier - World's Strongest, Cooler's Revenge, Return of Cooler, Super Android 13, Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
D Tier - Broly - Second Coming, Lord Slug, Mystical Adventure, Curse of the Blood Rubies
F Tier - Bio-Broly

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Movie 12 is gorgeous but it's like a 45 minute fight scene lol, I can see not being that into it.

The 2nd Broly movie being above World's Strongest is insane to me though

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
battle of gods and super broly are the only great dragonball movies. Sleeping Princess in Devils castle is decent too because it's not just fighting or a retelling