• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Just a daily reminder that TOEI was the same company that didn't take advantage of the Dragon Ball Renaissance that happened due to the American localization of the series when the games were million-sellers and merch in general was doing big business for literally over 10+ years. TOEI's inaction on the franchises was so apparent that the very thought or concept of even a non-Toriyama series ever happening - despite it being big money for TOEI - didn't exist. If you told devout fans of the franchises such as myself and many in this thread that there would be a new anime written by Toriyama and takes place between the Boo arc and the End of Z even as soon as 7 years ago you'd be laughed off.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Just a daily reminder that TOEI was the same company that didn't take advantage of the Dragon Ball Renaissance that happened due to the American localization of the series when the games were million-sellers and merch in general was doing big business for literally over 10+ years. TOEI's inaction on the franchises was so apparent that the very thought or concept of even a non-Toriyama series ever happening - despite it being big money for TOEI - didn't exist. If you told devout fans of the franchises such as myself and many in this thread that there would be a new anime written by Toriyama and takes place between the Boo arc and the End of Z even as soon as 7 years ago you'd be laughed off.
Even if you're going to continue to be stubborn or skeptical about the heavily sourced leaks your point still doesn't mean anything in the current situation. Toei didn't want to do another DB series without Toriyama after GT because of that show's failure, by 2005 the merch sales of DB were already pretty low, Toriyama isn't done with the series right now, there is a manga currently running with new story with at least some involvement from Toriyama (whether that story will be adapted in the anime remains to be seen), Shuiesha set up an entire division dedicated to managing the brand and coming up with new stories, Toei started selling new episodes of Super months ago despite trying to cover it up, Dragon Ball is making more money now than it ever has, Nozawa said this was a small break for the show and finally Toei set up an entire division dedicated to Dragon Ball planning, something they've not done for any other franchise and which would be a waste of resources if they didn't plan to have year round DB productions.
This situation is in no way comparable to the gap between GT and BoG.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you're going to continue to be stubborn about the heavily sourced leaks your point still doesn't mean anything in the current situation. Toei didn't want to do another DB series without Toriyama after GT because of that show's failure, by 2005 the merch sales of DB were already pretty low, Toriyama isn't done with the series right now, there is a manga currently running with new story with at least some involvement from Toriyama (whether that story will be adapted in the anime remains to be seen), Shuiesha set up an entire division dedicated to managing the brand and coming up with new stories, Toei started selling new episodes of Super months ago despite trying to cover it up, Dragon Ball is making more money now than it ever has, Nozawa said this was a small break for the show and finally Toei set up an entire division dedicated to Dragon Ball planning, something they've not done for any other franchise and which would be a waste of resources if they didn't plan to have year round DB productions.
This situation is in no way comparable to the gap between GT and BoG.
It isn't comparable because Toriyama pushed for new Dragon Ball content after the failure of Evolution and it ended up being a massive success for everyone involved.

As for the rumors I have no idea why you would bring that up when I wasn't even discussing that. I just wanted to point out that TOEI as a company has no problems with sitting on the Dragon Ball franchise even if it's making them more money than they ever were or could potentially do so.

If this was done sooner the results would've been the same. Maybe not directly after GT, but Dragon Ball has been hot for years even after it's end and nobody did anything about it.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't comparable because Toriyama pushed for new Dragon Ball content after the failure of Evolution and it ended up being a massive success for everyone involved.

As for the rumors I have no idea why you would bring that up when I wasn't even discussing that. I just wanted to point out that TOEI as a company has no problems with sitting on the Dragon Ball franchise even if it's making them more money than they ever were or could potentially do so.

If this was done sooner the results would've been the same. Maybe not directly after GT, but Dragon Ball has been hot for years even after it's end and nobody did anything about it.
Toriyama didn't push for new Dragon Ball content, Toei was going to do BoG without him, he only became involved because someone asked him for an opinion on the script and then he rewrote it and redid the designs. Toriyama is approached for new Dragon Ball stuff, not the other way around.

I brought it up because you made this post right after the post about leaks being fake. Toei didn't just drop the series, GT existed because they knew DB was hot and they wanted it to keep going but due its failure they put the franchise on ice, not only that but they aren't in total control, there are other holders of the IP that push for new content. Back when Heroes first hit it big Bandai tried to get Toriyama to come on board for a Heroes anime but he refused and thus Bandai had Toei make Kai.

The long gap between GT and BoG is a massive reason as to why DB has come back so big, the franchise was given time to rest.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Toriyama didn't push for new Dragon Ball content, Toei was going to do BoG without him, he only became involved because someone asked him for an opinion on the script and then he rewrote it and redid the designs. Toriyama is approached for new Dragon Ball stuff, not the other way around.

I brought it up because you made this post right after the post about leaks being fake. Toei didn't just drop the series, GT existed because they knew DB was hot and they wanted it to keep going but due its failure they put the franchise on ice, not only that but they aren't in total control, there are other holders of the IP that push for new content. Back when Heroes first hit it big Bandai tried to get Toriyama to come on board for a Heroes anime but he refused and thus Bandai had Toei make Kai.

The long gap between GT and BoG is a massive reason as to why DB has come back so big, the franchise was given time to rest.
So you honestly believe that the biggest anime/manga franchise in the entire world wouldn't have been successful if it came back in 2006 after the English dub of Dragon Ball GT aired it's last episode on TV? You know from a fandom that literally believed and corroborated ever fake rumor in existence in a massive misinformation campaign that continues to taint this fandom till this day? Believe what you may on this, but I highly disagree with this sentiment.

I do agree the break made the nostalgia for it stronger, but I genuinely feel more money was left on the table than not in waiting so long to do something with Dragon Ball. Of course we would never truly know cause it never happened, but what we do know is that TOEI DID sit on this franchise because they didn't think it would make them enough money to produce a brand new anime due to the failure of GT for over 10 years which I find silly.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So you honestly believe that the biggest anime/manga franchise in the entire world wouldn't have been successful if it came back in 2006 after the English dub of Dragon Ball GT aired it's last episode on TV? You know from a fandom that literally believed and corroborated ever fake rumor in existence in a massive misinformation campaign that continues to taint this fandom till this day? Believe what you may on this, but I highly disagree with this sentiment.

I do agree the break made the nostalgia for it stronger, but I genuinely feel more money was left on the table than not in waiting so long to do something with Dragon Ball. Of course we would never truly know cause it never happened, but what we do know is that TOEI DID sit on this franchise because they didn't think it would make them enough money to produce a brand new anime due to the failure of GT for over 10 years which I find silly.
It probably would have been a success, but it might not have been as big as Super. Also 2006 isn't far off from when Bandai tried to get a Heroes anime made, but at the time all parties involved were still afraid that the lack of Toriyama would be a death sentence for a DB series.

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The 2nd half of Broly movie is more fucking nuts than when I watched it in IMAX. My god, what a glorious barrage of action.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Is it true that Toriyama decided to do the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F movies solely because of the abomination that was Dragonball Evolution? I was watching Chris Stuckmann's hilariocity review on it and he mentioned this and I thought he was joking but apparently it's true? If so that is hilarious.

God, what a dogshit movie that was. I also have that as the worst movie I have ever seen but if it gave us Super it was a necessary evil to exist.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that Toriyama decided to do the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F movies solely because of the abomination that was Dragonball Evolution? I was watching Chris Stuckmann's hilariocity review on it and he mentioned this and I thought he was joking but apparently it's true? If so that is hilarious.

God, what a dogshit movie that was. I also have that as the worst movie I have ever seen but if it gave us Super it was a necessary evil to exist.

It's an old rumor, I've never seen the source for it

And if there is a source I'm sure people have exaggerated or extrapolated his words

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The original BoGs sounded like a rip-off of the Baby arc from GT, which is just odd doesn't matter how you look at it for a big revival movie that's avoiding GT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's still weird to me that they've not released any of the original BoG designs from before Toriyama came on board. I want to see the old Beerus and Super Saiyan God. Would have been great for one of the many artbooks that came out around and after BoG.
The original BoGs sounded like a rip-off of the Baby arc from GT, which is just odd doesn't matter how you look at it as the big revival movie that's avoiding GT.
I don't know if they were original going to ignore GT with BoG, Yamamuro described the old Super Saiyan God as being kind of in between SSJ3 and 4, though I think he specifically meant the hair for that. Still, seems kind of odd that they'd design the hair to seem like it fits between those two if they were going to ignore GT, idk though.

Last edited:

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Evolution was a necessary evil to further the series. It gave us toppo dabs, beefcake orphan alien in tights, the football head twins, hit's demise, and most importantly super sparkles vegeta which is hands down the best transformation in the series.

And I guess UI goku🚶🏾‍♂️

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if they were original going to ignore GT with BoG, Yamamuro described the old Super Saiyan God as being kind of in between SSJ3 and 4, though I think he specifically meant the hair for that. Still, seems kind of odd that they'd design the hair to seem like it fits between those two if they were going to ignore GT, idk though.

It'd still take place before GT at least, since the party was supposed to be for Kuririn and 18's marriage. I'm just saying that if they acknowledge that GT is controversial enough they'd better stick with the Z era, it's odd they'd then just write something that seems clearly inspired by GT.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I have a question- why is "Boo" now the accepted spelling of his name among a large majority of the DB fan community?

I know I'm not crazy and this isn't a "Berenstain" thing. I'm a 1999 Toonami DBZ fan who has re-watched multiple dubs and cuts of the series, pushed through GT twice, watching the dub of Super despite having seen it already in it's original airing.

Every piece of Dragon Ball memorabilia I own spells it "Buu". Every video game I own, books, toys and multiple dubs all spell it this way. The fans used to mostly spell it this way because, well, in the US it was all we knew. But now, even though people generally use English translated names like "Krillin", I'm noticing here on Era, places on Reddit and elsewhere people have started using "Boo" in a larger majority. Even the Dragon Ball wiki, which I was aware of and used, now uses "Boo" in all articles referring to the character.

I basically fell off of Dragon Ball stuff for nearly ten years so this could have become the accepted spelling many years ago. I also realize this was likely the intended spelling and the English spelling was possibly Funimation's doing. I also recognize the origins of the Cinderella naming pun.

It's such an unimportant thing but I figured someone could provide some context to why and when the shift happened.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question- why is "Boo" now the accepted spelling of his name among a large majority of the DB fan community?

I know I'm not crazy and this isn't a "Berenstain" thing. I'm a 1999 Toonami DBZ fan who has re-watched multiple dubs and cuts of the series, pushed through GT twice, watching the dub of Super despite having seen it already in it's original airing.

Every piece of Dragon Ball memorabilia I own spells it "Buu". Every video game I own, books, toys and multiple dubs all spell it this way. The fans used to mostly spell it this way because, well, in the US it was all we knew. But now, even though people generally use English translated names like "Krillin", I'm noticing here on Era, places on Reddit and elsewhere people have started using "Boo" in a larger majority. Even the Dragon Ball wiki, which I was aware of and used, now uses "Boo" in all articles referring to the character.

I basically fell off of Dragon Ball stuff for nearly ten years so this could have become the accepted spelling many years ago. I also realize this was likely the intended spelling and the English spelling was possibly Funimation's doing. I also recognize the origins of the Cinderella naming pun.

It's such an unimportant thing but I figured someone could provide some context to why and when the shift happened.
Like "Freeza" it makes more sense all around. Though the official spelling for both is still "Frieza" and "Buu" even Japanese merch uses the localized names.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky

It was Boo in the Viz translation of the manga too. Always found it odd.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Basically just because it's more accurate and it's easier to learn things like that online now. I still use Buu out of habit.
Also fun fact, "Dabura" is "Dabra" in Japan, as in "Abra Kadabra".

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, the Freeza and Boo spellings have always felt way too on the nose to me. It's like if Beerus was Beers.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Thank you for the explanations, sounds like it was just a gradual transition but many people still use the official translations of Buu, Krillin and Frieza.

The Dabra name is kind of cool, I didn't know that.

I've literally never seen "Kafla" though, unless that's a joke that went over my head.

The only one I've never gotten used to is that one guy on Team Fourstar who pronounces Goku as "ga-KOOOO". I know he explained in the AMA that it's the correct pronunciation that he learned from imported Japanese VHS tapes in the 80's, but even when I watch subbed I still don't hear Goku that way. Probably because I've already been predisposed to hearing Goku pronounced as "GOH-ku" for 29 years.