• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Shoutout to Gohan for having the greatest roast in all of Dragon Ball. Wasn't even intentional, but that shit hurt more than ANYTHING Jiren, Frieza, Vegeta or Cell have ever done.

Like how much pain was Yamcha in after that.

...sheesh, the voice acting really didn't get great until the buu saga.

still can't with people saying the VA work is better in Z than Kai. Bulma and Kid gohan Kai are better too. OG has some buu saga speeches and that's about it.

Oct 25, 2017
...sheesh, the voice acting really didn't get great until the buu saga.

still can't with people saying the VA work is better in Z than Kai. Bulma and Kid gohan Kai are better too. OG has some buu saga speeches and that's about it.

I mean, I'm fine with new Bulma, but you're delusional about Gohan. Also, it's the exact same scene, but different. Not much of a quality gap here, just rewritten with two different voices.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The english dub voices got good from about halfway into the Cell arc, but some were good from the start like Future Trunks, 17 and 18, etc.

It's really just Chris Sabat and to a lesser extent Sean Schemmel that had to take 2-3 years just to get good at their roles. Krillin improved pretty quickly into the Cell arc.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My problem with the DBZ voices at this point is after watching all of Abridged their voice acting is so much better I can't unhear it. I just assume Vegeta's dialogue from abridged is his internal monologue we don't hear in Z and his voice actor is perfect. Cell's voice acting is amazing too.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
DTdm1xdVMAEyioG.jpg%3Alarge

The Camel cigarette mascot.

I think the dub got good by the Buu Saga. They ditched the Captian Ginyu announcer, Piccolo sounded less like a monster and they stuck closer to the script. The only massive issue is Fat Buu's voice. Just WTF were they smoking?

Oct 25, 2017
Fat Buu's English voice is garbage and the Japanese one is actually really endearing.

I can't think of a single Goku voice I really like, although the Ocean dub one probably would be the easy best if they had better direction back then.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clip should be mandatory watching for anyone who says Z never looked bad art wise or animation

I never saw anyone ever claim that DBZ never had bad animation or art? The Cell arc had some awful art but on the whole i think most would agree that DB and DBZ were animate nicely overall considering the time they came out but they certainly had issues. Also being fair that shitty Blu Ray footage makes the whole show look like over saturated garbage and not like something DBZ was ever supposed to look like.

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with the DBZ voices at this point is after watching all of Abridged their voice acting is so much better I can't unhear it. I just assume Vegeta's dialogue from abridged is his internal monologue we don't hear in Z and his voice actor is perfect. Cell's voice acting is amazing too.
Abridged Cell should just be Canon Cell at this point. Abridged Piccolo is also good, Trunks isn't too bad. Abridged Goku acts like he has a learning disability. Abridged Vegeta is too one note from what I've seen, it's too centered on being an edge lord so it wouldn't fit Buu Saga and Super era Vegeta.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Current piccolo sounds way worse than sabats older version of piccolo. Same with Vegeta.

But the Japanese actors are better anyways so whatever

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I'd be annoyed at this conversation, having just left the Solo thread, this is actually refreshing.

Like what you like with the voices, but I will always tell you you're wrong if you pull that Kai Gohan > Funi Gohan in my line of sight.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I like Abridged. Some jokes have or will age poorly, but I can always appreciate the effort.

Their Dende/Gohan thing is super creepy though.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
OG Buu saga Vegeta is the best Sabat has ever sounded. Along with the new VA's for Gohan, Bulma, and 18, Sabat's Vegeta is the primary reason why I can't get into Kai.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
OG Buu saga Vegeta is the best Sabat has ever sounded. Along with the new VA's for Gohan, Bulma, and 18, Sabat's Vegeta is the primary reason why I can't get into Kai.
I actually think the opposite with pretty much every Sabat voice. The originals were just him being as gravelly as possible.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a real case for Super's English dub being better than the JPN track. The VAs are really doing a fantastic job so far.

DBZ's is far more debatable, but Super's dub is so solid.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I think there's a real case for Super's English dub being better than the JPN track. The VAs are really doing a fantastic job so far.

It's uncanny how Beerus and Whis' english voice actors literally just sound like the Japanese actors speaking english. If you didn't know they were different actors you could assume they were the same.

Oct 25, 2017
It's uncanny how Beerus and Whis' english voice actors literally just sound like the Japanese actors speaking english. If you didn't know they were different actors you could assume they were the same.
Dub Beerus is great, there's a pitch different with dub Whis that takes me out a bit. He sounds too masculine too me, but it's not a bad performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the old dub. Probably one of the few voice actors who was good at the start was Dameon Clarke. A lot of his voice acting still holds up in comparison to the rest of the old dub.

I wouldn't be surprised if his voice acting was the reason Cell was so popular over here in comparison to Freeza, who got treated far worse script and voicing acting wise.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the old dub. Probably one of the few voice actors who was good at the start was Dameon Clarke. A lot of his voice acting still holds up in comparison to the rest of the old dub.

I wouldn't be surprised if his voice acting was the reason Cell was so popular over here in comparison to Freeza, who got treated far worse script and voicing acting wise.

Yeah despite Cell being pretty boring overall. Cell was one of the few characters who did not get ruined by terrible voice acting and script. Freeza got it the worst out of all of them. I'm surprised his character is popular at all in the states, considering the complete mishandling of his character in the dub.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah despite Cell being pretty boring overall. Cell was one of the few characters who did not get ruined by terrible voice acting and script. Freeza got it the worst out of all of them. I'm surprised his character is popular at all in the states, considering the complete mishandling of his character in the dub.
Probably because of his overall role in the series. Funimation just made sure to ruin him whenever he opened his mouth and I wouldn't even call Freeza that popular here at all.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really think the English dub of super comes close to the Japanese tbh. Super was my first foray into Japanese dragon Ball and I've realized that many of the characters sound better in Japanese to me

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
A lot of people just don't think Cell is boring.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Voice + Theme made Cell work for me.

Never had an issue with old Frieza, but I have no problem admitting new Frieza is so much better, pretty much why I loved Resurrection F, that performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.