• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
gohan in the funi dub sounded like an old habitual smoker

Kai actually did him good with the recast, he actually sounds like a kid
I generally like the english dub quite a lot despite not having grown up with it, but one of the few voices I find unbearable is funi Gohan. I remember first hearing it in Budokai 1 and I was so baffled and confused, why would a kid sound like that lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
gohan in the funi dub sounded like an old habitual smoker

Kai actually did him good with the recast, he actually sounds like a kid
Not trying to convince you, just saying why I'm not into it. Of all the times I tried to watch Kai, if it wasn't something else, Gohan was the thing to make me go "yeah, I can't".

Also annoyed they went with new Gohan in Fighter Z, but I can overlook it there at least.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
I'm not defending it. That voice is awful, but we had this exact conversation literally a week ago in the last OT where we all shared clips and dissected and compared voices for several pages. Am I really supposed to do this again?

I pretty much summed it up here
"There's a lot that I forgive when watching the OG dub, A LOT, but Kai does nothing for me when comes to Z's highest highs.

Like that's a problem. A big one."

When I don't like Kai Gohans voice period, how am I supposed to watch the show that prominently features it. When a lot of my enjoy from Z comes from Gohan, how am I supposed to enjoy it when I don't like the voice. AND THEN we get to the music and other things.
It's fine haha just found it funny that one of your complaints was related to the OG Dub
A question...

why bar universe 11 the other universes knew that it was 17 aka universe 7 who wished them back? Or at least U6?

The angels have still been with GP
Cabba assumed it was Vegeta (lol when he finds out the guy who tortured him was involved in the win), I guess both he and Champa just believed in them. I assume the Angels will tell their Universes what's up when they return. Maybe GP will upload everything to GodTube.
I generally like the english dub quite a lot despite not having grown up with it, but one of the few voices I find unbearable is funi Gohan. I remember first hearing it in Budokai 1 and I was so baffled and confused, why would a kid sound like that lmao.
Freezer was the worst voice of them all lol

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gohan SS2 is a better scene in the OG dub if only for Cell. The way he taunts Gohan and 16 sounds so much worse in Kai.

But that scene in the OG dub was a travesty? Not saying that Kai did it perfectly but just the fact that i can stand to listen to it and not turn the volume all the way down is an improvement.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Chris Ayers is my favorite Frieza, i really like jp frieza too, but Ayers is my favorite

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I also hate the Japanese Gohan SSJ2 scene. Insert songs in DB always sound so dumb to me, whether it's Spirit vs. Spirit or the Frieza song in Resurrection F or the Ultra Instinct song from the first Jiren fight (the vocal-less version in 131 was way better).

edit: wait, was it vocal-less? or did I just block them out? :lol

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You really can't get much worse than the old Freeza dub voice. I saw yesterday a clip on twitter of the dub where Freeza ask Vegeta to give him a countdown before he transforms for seemingly no reason. The acting was incredibly bad and the script did it's part to ruin the scene even further and the music was bad as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I also hate the Japanese Gohan SSJ2 scene. Insert songs in DB always sound so dumb to me, whether it's Spirit vs. Spirit or the Frieza song in Resurrection F or the Ultra Instinct song from the first Jiren fight (the vocal-less version in 131 was way better).

wait, was it vocal-less? or did I just block them out? :lol
I feel the same way normally but I freaking loved it in Ressurection F because it was so weird.

I'm in the theater like
"The hell is this ... wait this sounds familiar ... no they did not ... holy shit they did"
Call that movie Frieza Homecoming.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like to trash other dubs because I'm sure ours must sound pretty weird to anyone not used to it too but... Yeah I remember his being the most shocking voice to me lol, I don't like any of the english Freezas at all.

Cell is wonderful and much better than ours tho, IMO.

edit: wait, was it vocal-less? or did I just block them out? :lol
I don't hate them but yeah almost all insert songs are awkward haha. The only one I truly like is Ultimate Battle.

Trunks' Seinfeld song tho.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You really can't get much worse than the old Freeza dub voice. I saw yesterday a clip on twitter of the dub where Freeza ask Vegeta to give him a countdown before he transforms for seemingly no reason. The acting was incredibly bad and the script did it's part to ruin the scene even further and the music was bad as well.
As someone who generally loves the OG Funi dub, I agree their Frieza saga dub was pretty bad. There are some good scenes here and there, but overall it's a mess, like they still hadn't really gotten a handle on either the show or what they were trying to do with it. They improved a lot by the Android saga and really hit their stride for the Buu saga.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Uub has a great design and I like the idea behind the character. I hope they do something with him.

I hope they don't, he's a boring character with little to expand upon. They have all these new characters from the different universes with great potential. The possibilities are endless

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
I wonder who thought that Freezer was a good idea lol
I don't like to trash other dubs because I'm sure ours must sound pretty weird to anyone not used to it too but... Yeah I remember his being the most shocking voice to me lol, I don't like any of the english Freezas at all.

Cell is wonderful and much better than ours tho, IMO.
New Freezer sounds better but I still prefer Jap and LatAm

Hmmm not sure I agree there. Sometimes their Cell sounds like Eng Plankton in the videogames so I can't take him seriously lol I like how our autotune makes him sound like a monster, much more intimidating

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
I prefer the original dub voice for kid Gohan but Nozawa is still better than both.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I hope they don't, he's a boring character with little to expand upon. They have all these new characters from the different universes with great potential. The possibilities are endless

Canon Uub has like 2 episodes of screentime. I don't see how you can say he's a "boring character" when we've barely seen him.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Uub is nobody in EoZ. The writers could take his character in any direction, or completely rewrite his personality. They don't need to stick to GT's characterization.

Oct 25, 2017
Canon Uub has like 2 episodes of screentime. I don't see how you can say he's a "boring character" when we've barely seen him.
That's a completely fair thing to say. 2 episodes, especially the last 2 episodes of the series is not nothing.

I was never convinced as to why Goku flew off with him at the end of the series in terms of strength and personality. Goku just kept telling us he was strong, but I didn't see it.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Uub has lots of potential and they can go any way they want with the character.
It'd also be great to have a main character in the cast that is a person of color.
GT fucked up with Uub really bad, as well as Pan. They've already made Pan a better character as a baby in Super, so I'm sure they'll do fine with Uub.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
That's a completely fair thing to say. 2 episodes, especially the last 2 episodes of the series is not nothing.

I was never convinced as to why Goku flew off with him at the end of the series in terms of strength and personality. Goku just kept telling us he was strong, but I didn't see it.
So you wanted them to develop this deep backstory and motivations for a character introduced right at the end of a series that was never planned on continuing? For a character that would only be in two episodes and then never seen again (canonically)? For the "victory lap" episodes of a series where it's just winding down and finishing?

He was supposed to be strong because he was the reincarnation of Kid Buu. That's what you need to know why Goku is interested in him, he asked for Kid Buu to be brought back but good and that is Uub. Kid Buu = strong so his reincarnation = strong.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
i'm sorry but Coleen's Gohan is superior in every way

Oct 25, 2017
So you wanted them to develop this deep backstory and motivations for a character introduced right at the end of a series that was never planned on continuing? For a character that would only be in two episodes and then never seen again (canonically)? For the "victory lap" episodes of a series where it's just winding down and finishing?

He was supposed to be strong because he was the reincarnation of Kid Buu. That's what you need to know why Goku is interested in him, he asked for Kid Buu to be brought back but good and that is Uub. Kid Buu = strong so his reincarnation = strong.
"Deep back story." Fuck off. No one said that. You are straight up putting words in my mouth to exaggerate my point. That is one of the most annoying things people do on this forum.

I even said he did not come off as strong, the show just told me he was. Pan is in two episodes and made a stronger impression in Z.

Future Trunks has the best intro in the series. We were hooked before we learned about him.

I'm just saying, they could've done a better job than they did have. If your Last shot of the series is Goku abruptly leaving to train with Uub, make me like Uub. Is that asking a lot? I said "an ounce of confidence would've gone a long way" and from that you got "Deep backstory".

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I will admit that Colleen was not a very good fit for 18. However, literally every other performance in Kai is miles better than the original, especially Goku and Vegeta.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
"Deep back story." Fuck off. No one said that. You are straight up putting words in my mouth to exaggerate my point. That is one of the most annoying things people do on this forum.

I even said he did not come off as strong, the show just told me he was. Pan is in two episodes and made a stronger impression in Z.

Future Trunks has the best intro in the series. We were hooked before we learned about him.

I'm just saying, they could've done a better job than they did have. If your Last shot of the series is Goku abruptly leaving to train with Uub, make me like Uub. Is that asking a lot? I said "an ounce of confidence would've gone a long way" and from that you got "Deep backstory".
That was in reply to you agreeing that "he's a boring character with little to expand upon." was a fair thing to say. Of course there was little to expand upon because he's in two episodes at the literal end of a series.

Oct 25, 2017
I will admit that Colleen was not a very good fit for 18. However, literally every other performance in Kai is miles better than the original, especially Goku and Vegeta.
Okay.

It's not like we're trying to get each other to pledge allegiance to the other's preferred dub. Funi DBZ is why I'm here. That's MY shit. I've given Kai it's fair shake.

I've acknowledged the MANY issues with my dub. But looking past the voices and music, some of my favorite DBZ moments aren't even in Kai so ... what are we arguing?

Status
Not open for further replies.