• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I find interesting is I've yet to read any gripes with Vegeta having a yellow Galick Gun instead of purple. Would've been cool to see purple mixed in with the blue Kamehameha when they both attacked Broly.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Man the CGI on this blew my mind especially compared to what I'm used to on typically anime showings. Only weak points for me were the rational for collecting the Dragon Balls, felt kinda shoehorned. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first time Broly and Gogeta have become canon? I really loved seeing Planet Vegeta, Earth seemed super boring in comparison. Also I knew Broly was strong but holy cow, I don't think Gogeta really would've stopped him. The movie also makes it clear imo that Super S2 is going to happen, with the talk of the other universes that didn't participate in ToP.

Last edited:

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this last week and really enjoyed it, as somebody that hatewatches Super.

Starting to think my complaints about Super stem from its relatively rushed production. Battle of Gods and now Broly proves that the guys working on Dragon Ball can actually put out a quality product when they put the time and effort into it.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
mid 40s - the seven years he was dead. so 35 somthing
Thanks.

Problem is, except for tournaments where you need multiple fighters, what's the point if Gohan is just a less powerful Goku/Vegeta? You really need a spinoff or a way to sideline Goku (which would never happen) which is the only time Gohan has really shined.

Like he's plenty powerful enough to protect his loved ones. If something huge happens, his father can teleport from anywhere. If his father can't handle it, he can't handle it. He's like in the same boat with the rest of the non saiyan Z-fighters where they're basically sidelined unless you need multiple fighters or some kind of fodder (and that's exactly what he would have been in this movie had they included him). The maddening thing is that he's got the potential the rest don't.

Frieza was fodder in the movie but that didn't stop the writers from having him fight Broly. He does have potential, moreso than Goku or Vegeta so he could theoretically be more powerful than they are.

The point is that Goku and Vegeta have both historically shown themselves to be completely unreliable. Off the top of my head: Frieza on Namek, Imperfect Cell, Fat Buu, Super Buu (Vegito), Golden Frieza. Albeit Gohan is guilty of this kind of thing too, Perfect Cell and Super Buu to name two but at this point its just reckless to leave things solely in the hands of Goku and Vegeta who value a good fight more than getting the job done. (The main cast really needs Future Trunks on the case because he never fucks around)

At some point Vegeta mentioned that Saiyans look youthful until they hit age 80, that's when they start growing old, so that's why they don't look like they are in their 40s/50s

I know the explanation behind their youthful appearance I was just surprised at their actual ages. Then I remembered that Goku had Gohan at like 18 so that explains that.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Thanks.

Frieza was fodder in the movie but that didn't stop the writers from having him fight Broly. He does have potential, moreso than Goku or Vegeta so he could theoretically be more powerful than they are.

The point is that Goku and Vegeta have both historically shown themselves to be completely unreliable. Off the top of my head: Frieza on Namek, Imperfect Cell, Fat Buu, Super Buu (Vegito), Golden Frieza. Albeit Gohan is guilty of this kind of thing too, Perfect Cell and Super Buu to name two but at this point its just reckless to leave things solely in the hands of Goku and Vegeta who value a good fight more than getting the job done. (The main cast really needs Future Trunks on the case because he never fucks around)

I've been rewatching Kai with my son. They're all unreliable (except like you said, future Trunks, who just constantly got the tar beat out of him). Like Picollo scolds Gohan for being too prideful and not finishing people off right away as his flaw in Super. But he did the same thing when he confronts Cell for the first time. That's a storytelling handicap/workaround really, because the whole progression in DBZ is being stronger than your opponent but too arrogant to finish them off, thus allowing them to become stronger than you, rinse and repeat. Like it happens every single time. Otherwise the saga would have ended with Raditz.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
It's the best Super film. Not really much to say since it's Dragonball. Great fights, fun comic relief moments, and the movie looked great.
Besides Broly's theme the music was pretty bad tho, and I can't believe people on this forum were saying New Broly is on another level compared to Old Broly. Lmao smh, they were pretty much the same. I kinda prefer the old Broly's royal design over the new cave man design. And was kinda surprised there wasn't a regular SS form for caveman Broly like how the old Broly had one. Instead the dude just hulked out. It's the first Super film that I liked.

Last edited:

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it yesterday, real good. Cinema was absolutely packed. That little montage/time skip with head cha la tugged at my nostalgia so hard. Really enjoyed it!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this death could easily be seen as either one of the best parts of the movie or the worst. I didn't like it

It was amazing, a shitty dad like Paragus gets the death he deserves. Yet at the same time it happens so quickly that you're in disbelief lol

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Man that whole Paragus death thing was great. That death and Frieza's wish are the silly Dragon Ball moments done at its best.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Even though Goku wouldn't care, I kinda want a time travel arc where he meets his parents and they learn about his future.

matcha pocky

Oct 27, 2017
great movie but nothing on the level of the top finale - though i guess it shouldn't since that had ~40 (?) episodes of build-up

I also wasn't a fan of the music - almost killed the entire movie for me

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i strongly believe they're going to find a way to revive bardock. and it's gonna be real dumb.

they want to play with all of their non-canon toys
you mean like how they did it with that episode of Bardock special, where he was sent in the past and became the super saiyan?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
you mean like how they did it with that episode of Bardock special, where he was sent in the past and became the super saiyan?

that shit was proof of just how desperately they wanted to do something else with bardock

they used their "re-imagine goku's origin story" card, so now there's nothing else for the character unless they revive him... or go further back into the past and tell random bardock stories that have no connection to the modern day story, which is another possibility I guess.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I watched it in the cinema with my girlfriend today. Fortunately it was subbed :) Just how I prefer it.
It was the first time after many many many years, that I went to the cinema. Got anxiety, social phobia etc. but I had to overcome this, and take that chance to watch the movie with Japanese voices that early. Unfortunately, many of the visitors there were assholes, playing around with their smartphones at full brightness, every few minutes. People never could shut up while the movie was running. Many people who came into the room like 30 and even 50 minutes late and much more. It definitely somewhat ruined the overall experience. Cinemas should make rooms for people like them, where they can use their phones, talk about stuff etc. But also rooms where pulling out your phone is forbidden. Same with constant talking etc.

That being said, the movie was very good, and even mind blowing when the fights are starting.
Story part in the first half was interesting and enjoyable for the most part.
The new Broly is muuuuuuuch better compared to the old one. I never liked Broly at all, always thought he was boring, stupid and ugly. Especially hated is jewelry stuff. Now he's got a much more fleshed out personality, a better backstory, a much better design, and he can normally talk instead of just screaming the same name over and over again. And gone is the ugly jewelry stuff. I like Broly now :)

Now to the fights:

Yeah, fuck me, that was some pure next level Dragon Ball Action right there! Those fights were pretty much the most extreme and insane fights in the whole Dragon Ball series/movies. The way they displayed and conveyed speed, power and attacks was absolutely insane. Just freaking WOW!
I would love to know all the key animators involved. I easily recognized Shida, Takahashi, Tate and Ryo Onishi.
But there was also stuff going on there, where I thought I'm seeing freaking Yutaka Nakamura scenes!? Was he involved? I know he does mostly stuff for Bones, but he also worked with other studios before.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I watched it in the cinema with my girlfriend today. Fortunately it was subbed :) Just how I prefer it.
It was the first time after many many many years, that I went to the cinema. Got anxiety, social phobia etc. but I had to overcome this, and take that chance to watch the movie with Japanese voices that early. Unfortunately, many of the visitors there were assholes, playing around with their smartphones at full brightness, every few minutes. People never could shut up while the movie was running. Many people who came into the room like 30 and even 50 minutes late and much more. It definitely somewhat ruined the overall experience. Cinemas should make rooms for people like them, where they can use their phones, talk about stuff etc. But also rooms where pulling out your phone is forbidden. Same with constant talking etc.

That being said, the movie was very good, and even mind blowing when the fights are starting.
Story part in the first half was interesting and enjoyable for the most part.
The new Broly is muuuuuuuch better compared to the old one. I never liked Broly at all, always thought he was boring, stupid and ugly. Especially hated is jewelry stuff. Now he's got a much more fleshed out personality, a better backstory, a much better design, and he can normally talk instead of just screaming the same name over and over again. And gone is the ugly jewelry stuff. I like Broly now :)

Now to the fights:

Yeah, fuck me, that was some pure next level Dragon Ball Action right there! Those fights were pretty much the most extreme and insane fights in the whole Dragon Ball series/movies. The way they displayed and conveyed speed, power and attacks was absolutely insane. Just freaking WOW!
I would love to know all the key animators involved. I easily recognized Shida, Takahashi, Tate and Ryo Onishi.
But there was also stuff going on there, where I thought I'm seeing freaking Yutaka Nakamura scenes!? Was he involved? I know he does mostly stuff for Bones, but he also worked with other studios before.

You like grandma sounding Goku?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Gonna be buying that BR as soon as it drops, it's going to have both English and Japanese audio, right? Also, hopefully there'll be a BR release of the Latam dub because I want that as well.
The OST complaints are, well, I didn't enjoy it that much on my first watch I'll say, but on rewatch the OST felt really epic and completely fitting and I love it now.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Of course. One of the best and most talented, and probably the most iconic voice in anime ever.
I never think about a grandma when I hear and see goku in japanese. It's THE voice of goku. Can't be more perfect.

And I grew up with a dub which most people in my country would consider very good. Even I loved it back then, but not even strong nostalgia can make me look past the issues I have when it's about dubbing Dragon Ball into other languages.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man that whole Paragus death thing was great. That death and Frieza's wish are the silly Dragon Ball moments done at its best.

Plus we got to see Krillin explode on the big screen, that made it worth it alone.

I despise the Japanese voice acting in Dragon Ball. I'm glad I'm not the only one around.

So what was that weird dimension in the Broly-Gogeta fight?

My guess is a plot point for the next season of DBS. New dimension, new bad guys.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The US release will, Japanese release almost definitely won't.
Ah yeah, I was talking about the US release which I expect to have Japanese audio and English subs. I watched both the Japanese dub and Latam dub on theaters and both were excellent so I want to own both versions in BR. Might check out the English dub just out of curiosity, but I expect it to add random lines that were never said in the Japanese version.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was pretty awesome. Don't think you could have wished for much more. Like 40 minutes of almost non stop fighting with great animation. Cg could have been better and was rather noticable but not awful.

Cheelai is pretty likable and given the end of the movie she will probably be around when the next series makes Broly a staple character. Hard to believe that Broly is an actual character now and canon.

Have to hand it to Freeza, surviving an hour minus how long Whis kept him busy is pretty good.

Guess ssj4 is a possibility now in some form with how they explained Broly's power.

Kinda wish Goku and Vegeta would have mentioned Kale.

So Gogeta and Broly straight up went into another dimension huh

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Man, Gogeta was boring. The movie itself was awesome. Can't wait for the next arc.

Whaaat?
I thought he was incredible. Ultra extreme powerful fighting machine who just wants to get this shit done, without playing around.
The final beat down was brutal and the insanely powerful, fast and majestic animation conveyed everything perfectly. Dude did some Evangelion style attacks too, lol.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Choreography was lacking in this film.

It was just a whole lot of ramming into each other at full-speed and energy beam spams, along with copious screaming.

The original Broly film felt way more visceral, and that version of lunatic Broly was so damn sinister too.

6/10

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Choreography was lacking in this film.

It was just a whole lot of ramming into each other at full-speed and energy beam spams, along with copious screaming.
I'll give you that at times the cuts were too damn fast to properly follow the fight, but the choreography was there from the very first second Vegeta and Broly started fighting.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'll give you that at times the cuts were too damn fast to properly follow the fight, but the choreography was there from the very first second Vegeta and Broly started fighting.

The choreography was fuckin awesome!
Especially the stuff made by Ryo Onishi (I assume it was him). There was some really cool, fluid and "bouncy" real life martial arts stuff too. And yes, some scenes were super fast, so you could barely make out what exactly happened. But I already watched/analyzed many scenes frame by frame by now, and there is some really cool stuff to see.
I thought the choreography was top notch. Some of the best fight scenes in the whole series even.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This was great and I am glad I got to see it in the cinema with the Japanese dub before it went away but the sound setup was awful. I kind of hate audio in cinemas anyway but here it was a bit of a mess with the music and the screaming just sort of melding into one blaring cacophony. Can't wait to get the Blu-ray and watch it again with my home cinema setup.

To be honest between the cost, the people (the girl sitting next to me slept through the whole film with her coat over her face) and the consistently awful audio, it was another reminder of why I don't go to the cinema unless dragged along by others.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Awwww snap! We're getting it too! A bit late, but hey, better late than never right? :D

51381275_2272586256087283_6520531486641225728_o.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
I still would prefer not to have Frieza get bodied so hard in this movie and in the show.

Tired Golden Frieza couldn't even get close to Jiren. Got embarrassed.
Then even in Gold, he took the beating nicely. But it still would have been nice to see him at least keep up even a smidgen.
Keep it interesting instead of 100% one sided.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Not gonna lie.

Golden Frieza keeping Broly at bay for ~1 hour, while Goku and Vegeta fucked around with the Fusion Dance, is legit incredible.

Still hate that fucker tho~~~

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I liked the movie, enjoyed the fight scenes but at the same time it feels soooooo lazy.

30 minutes or so were taken up by the whole flashback sequence and it was just unnecessary. The whole father-son narrative didn't really amount to anything besides background furniture. The only father son relationship that they explored was Broly and Paragus.

For everyone else, their fathers have zero effect on their personality or actions in the movie. Broly is the way he is because of Paragus, quiet and prone to raging out. Bardock might as well not even exist to Goku and Vegeta is Vegeta. If they really wanted to flesh it out properly, could have Goku suddenly remember Bardock's final words to him and draw inspiration from them. Show King Vegeta telling our Vegeta (as a kid) how much better he is than everyone, proud prince etc etc. Hell even show King Cold telling Frieza before their ship lands how the Saiyans are inferior, mindless, stupid monkeys who have to be put in their place. That would at least show why the 4 are the way they are (except Goku but you could substitute Grandpa Gohan for Bardock), father figure vs real father.

How can so little happen in a movie that lasted 1 hour and 40 minutes? Chile and Lemo find Broly bring him to Frieza. They go to earth for the last dragon ball. Goku and co. go to the same place for the last Dragon Ball as well. Fights and Fusion. I'm not counting the planet Vegeta stuff because its stuff we've seen before across different media.