• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad. Could use better reversal options because Ive never seen any game like this able to hold you in block string for so long. And did they implement the under night meter or something? Upper middle of the screen had a new bar that swayed left to right like the one that awards player buffs in under night.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
You talked about Capcom. This is the business model they used for SFV
Answer my question which was the whole point of my post because it sounds like you're capping right now. If you wanna say "well no that's wrong but I'll not talk about your main point" then you can do that but it looks like you're skipping the main thing I'm saying.

You really telling me that a new season will get more eyes, push, support and new fans for it compared to a sequel? It's a yes or no answer.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This may come as a shock, but there are people in the world who don't enjoy multiplayer against randoms. Like, I love Smash Bros, but I only enjoy playing it with people I know. I like actually interacting with my opponents.

It's not fun to get shunted up against some random person from the internet you can't even talk to.
And you don't have to do that. Doesn't mean that there's no point in doing it, or that the people you come across should be described as "random assholes".

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't expect a sequel until the next Dragon Ball show starts airing. Having FighterZ air concurrently with Super really helped FighterZs success and pushed a lot of DLC for the new characters I imagine.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Street Fighter V launched in 2016 and is still supported, DBFZ launched in 2018. I don't understand what you're trying to say here.
Actually, we might be nearing the end of SFV's run. But yeah, this seasonal structure is basically the norm now. Even Smash is doing it.

Are you telling me that a new season is going to get more eyes, push and support behind it compared to a sequel?

That's what I'm saying. It's common sense. I'm not talking about SFV.
But at this point, it's better to keep a fighting game supported for the duration of the console generation than to put out a sequel, especially this close to the end of the console generation. ASW & Bamco are better off saving DBFZ2 for next-gen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok old man. I'm 30, so I can't imagine our generations are that different. SF2 started with 8 characters. SF3, Tekken, many, many fighting games started with a much smaller roster than DBFZ's starting roster ever did, and only matched even just the starting roster through updates and sequels. Also, production values increase with games over time! Could you imagine a game that looks and plays as good as this game when you were 10? No. Because it was impossible and the industry couldn't support it.

A few fighting games have done better than others in offline content, if anything they've gotten better these days through things like MK and Injustice. The only fighting games that I remember having truly interesting outside content besides shit like arcade during these "old times" were SF Alpha 3 and Tekken 3. And they were still nothing groundbreaking.

Like sorry, fighting games have always been made to fight other people. Period. The idea that "they used to be better" is generally ridiculous. Go play Final Bout dawg. You'll have a blast and only have to pay for the shitty game, an OG PS1, and one of those weird translate disc. It'll only cost you like 80 bucks!

My fighters were games like SC2 and 3, GGXX and Rival Schools/Project Justice. Almost without fail, my favorite installment of a fighting game series was the middle installment where there was a ton of content and a ton of characters to choose from, rather than the initial installment with a tiny roster.

Nowadays, all of my friends have bailed on the genre, so I have no one to play with, and I loathe playing games online against randoms. So my options are kind of dried up these days.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
A Super Dragon Ball FighterZ with UI Goku, SSB Gogeta and DBS Broly front and center would make a lot of sense right about now.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
But at this point, it's better to keep a fighting game supported for the duration of the console generation than to put out a sequel, especially this close to the end of the console generation. ASW & Bamco are better off saving DBFZ2 for next-gen.
Given the lineup and upcoming season that's going to be a hard sell for people. We're already getting MUI Goku so then you factor in the rest of the season. I'll actually go on and say that with the rest of the lineup there's no use for a sequel nor will there be as big of an incentive to get it given this season will likely provide the rest of the roster.

It'll likely end with FighterZ rather than FighterZ2 otherwise they're going to be scraping the barrel for sequel characters.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Given the lineup and upcoming season that's going to be a hard sell for people. We're already getting MUI Goku so then you factor in the rest of the season. I'll actually go on and say that with the rest of the lineup there's no use for a sequel not will there be as big of an inventive to get it given this season will likely provide the rest of the roster.

It'll likely end with FighterZ rather than FighterZ2 otherwise they're going to be scraping the barrel for sequel characters.
Let's just say that Season 3 is UI Goku/Kefla/Ribrianne/Top[po]. You still have Raditz, Roshi, Caulifla & Kale individually, Cabba, Bojack, King Piccolo, Tao Pai Pai, the Trio of/de Danger, & a number of others you could add (plus Bulma if ASW becomes more willing to deviate from the source material with existing characters).

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm an old person, but I used to enjoy fighting games because they had tons of modes to play around with and huge rosters of characters to play as. I'm not a big fan of this new trend toward tiny starting rosters that the developers expect players to pay to expand coupled with anemic offline modes you can blaze through in a day before being forced to spend the rest of your time grinding endless versus matches against random assholes online.

You're getting shit for this, and I probably wouldn't have put that last bit as...bluntly as you did, but I agree with you. Most fighting games these days can't even throw us a basic survival mode, something which can greatly extend the offline/solo replayability of a game. Story modes are held up as shining examples of "good singleplayer content" when they're really just one-and-done things. Give me a good survival mode (preferably a REALLY good survival mode like Xrd) or World Tour mode or Weapon Master mode. Something I can play repeatedly and sink a lot of time into. Literally the only reason I've held off from buying Soul Calibur VI, even when the deluxe edition is on sale for ~$20, is the lack of a survival mode.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge fighters for going the eSports route, if that's where the money is. I just miss good singleplayer content.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're getting shit for this, and I probably wouldn't have put that last bit as...bluntly as you did, but I agree with you. Most fighting games these days can't even throw us a basic survival mode, something which can greatly extend the offline/solo replayability of a game. Story modes are held up as shining examples of "good singleplayer content" when they're really just one-and-done things. Give me a good survival mode (preferably a REALLY good survival mode like Xrd) or World Tour mode or Weapon Master mode. Something I can play repeatedly and sink a lot of time into. Literally the only reason I've held off from buying Soul Calibur VI, even when the deluxe edition is on sale for ~$20, is the lack of a survival mode.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge fighters for going the eSports route, if that's where the money is. I just miss good singleplayer content.

I will never, ever forgive Square Enix for Dissidia NT. Dissidia/012 were amazing games full of player customization and tons of modes to play through, and NT is just...online versus matches and paid DLC and nothing else. What a joke. Absolutely insulting to the fanbase.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just say that Season 3 is UI Goku/Kefla/Ribrianne/Top[po]. You still have Raditz, Roshi, Caulifla & Kale individually, Cabba, Bojack, King Piccolo, Tao Pai Pai, the Trio of/de Danger, & a number of others you could add (plus Bulma if ASW becomes more willing to deviate from the source material with existing characters).
Those characters aren't enough incentive for people to cop a sequel and especially compared to MUI Goku, Kefla and Toppo. Those are "end of a game let's throw out a season" characters rather than "new game so let's give them something worth it" characters.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Those characters aren't enough incentive for people to cop a sequel and especially compared to MUI Goku, Kefla and Toppo. Those are "end of a game let's throw out a season" characters rather than "new game so let's give them something worth it" characters.
Also, we might have a new DB show by the time the next DBFZ game comes around, so there's gonna be material to pull from. Plus there's the manga that's still ongoing.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Better late than never, but call me when rollback netcode is announced.

*skeletonbyphone.jpg

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
If you pay full price for a game and half the character select screen is locked off to you unless you spend $30 or $40 more, yes. Why even invest in the game at all at that point?

That's become my primary issue with modern fighting games - extremely light amounts of offline content, and HUGE swathes of DLC-only playable characters (virtually none of which are factored into the offline modes) breeds the impression that these games expect you to do nothing but play online versus matches for months/years while throwing money at the developers every couple of weeks to unlock a new character.

Maybe I'm an old person, but I used to enjoy fighting games because they had tons of modes to play around with and huge rosters of characters to play as. I'm not a big fan of this new trend toward tiny starting rosters that the developers expect players to pay to expand coupled with anemic offline modes you can blaze through in a day before being forced to spend the rest of your time grinding endless versus matches against random assholes online.
Um idk about you but when I bought the game at full price ($60) it had a full roster of 23ish characters. There was no paying $30 extra for a complete roster. If you buy the game today, sure you won't have a full roster but you won't be paying full price either. The game is not $60 anymore. The game is 20 bucks now. Add the $30 for both character passes out now and you have every character for less than a full priced game.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Also, we might have a new DB show by the time the next DBFZ game comes around, so there's gonna be material to pull from. Plus there's the manga that's still ongoing.
The new show is the only hope right now given Moro and whatever this new Vegeta will be are the only 2 worth it from the manga. It's just not enough based on current material. It really looks like they're just going to extend the game and ride that out rather than do a sequel. If that's what they wanna do then they can do that but with that said this game series has already reached its peak years ago.

Jun 22, 2019
Well, I'll return due to the assists, and then probably drop out a month later because the backbone of the game is frustrating at intermediate levels of play.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Answer my question which was the whole point of my post because it sounds like you're capping right now. If you wanna say "well no that's wrong but I'll not talk about your main point" then you can do that but it looks like you're skipping the main thing I'm saying.
Just don't use Capcom as an example, your argument doesn't make sense otherwise. As for your main point, you underestimate greatly the ressources needed for a new entry VS long term support via DLC. In the end, those companies do what is in their best interest, and Tekken producers already stated that the business model they used for T7 is much more profitable than what they used for Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Neoxon already stated that it makes more sense to wait next gen to do a sequel, so that's also that.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My fighters were games like SC2 and 3, GGXX and Rival Schools/Project Justice. Almost without fail, my favorite installment of a fighting game series was the middle installment where there was a ton of content and a ton of characters to choose from, rather than the initial installment with a tiny roster.

Nowadays, all of my friends have bailed on the genre, so I have no one to play with, and I loathe playing games online against randoms. So my options are kind of dried up these days.

I can feel ya to a certain extent. Especially that last point. I spent plenty of years in training rooms/arcade modes by myself. Especially before online. Not playing randoms and such.

But really, the bottom line is fighting games have evolved, and generally in the right direction. Capatilizing on their competitive aspects which is and always will be their strongest factor, and refining those aspects over time. And that means you're either going to evolve with them by either by helping getting your friends back into them, playing randoms, or by supporting your local communities. Or check out and wait for the next fighting game that's more offline oriented like NRS games. It sounds more like fighting games might just not be your jam anymore

Saying they "used to be better" is kind of insulting to the genre and the countless developers and communities that have worked together to attempt to make them stronger than ever. And also simply not true in many ways.

People still replying to PlanetSmasher in 2020?

I know but I've spent enough time with him in discords that I've kinda came full circle and kinda love im'

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just don't use Capcom as an example, your argument doesn't make sense otherwise. As for your main point, you underestimate greatly the ressources needed for a new entry VS long term support via DLC. In the end, those companies do what is in their best interest, and Tekken producers already stated that the business model they used for T7 is much more profitable than what they used for Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Neoxon already stated that it makes more sense to wait next gen to do a sequel, so that's also that.

The problem with waiting until next gen for a sequel is that it'll mean another trimmed-down roster, another tiny single-player offering and a huge swathe of "new" DLC characters, many of whom will have also been DLC in this version. That doesn't really solve anyone's fundamental issues with paid DLC.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is superb news and much needed!

2 caveats:

* I hope this leads to the erasure of the "support" character archetype and that every character is designed to be strong on point. Otherwise there will be larger gaps in tier list when people just pick the best point characters who also happen to have great assists.

*A lot of homogenous beam assists in the game which is going to create situation where every team will have at least one beam assist (since a lot of characters have beams). Hoping for nerfs on beams and improvements on other assists.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017

At this point I don't think we're getting a sequel anymore for it. If they just want to keep pushing this game, maybe port it to next-gen consoles I can see that and I've got no problem with that but I don't think we're getting a new sequel from it. Say with this next season. Say they give us MUI Goku, Kefla, Toppo, I mean then some other characters. That's most of the ones who people really want for it and given the lack of a new series, given the manga doesn't have much besides Moro and whatever Vegeta's new stuff will be that'll pretty much be it.

I'm just not expecting a FighterZ 2 at this point unless they really start scraping the barrel or switching things around with how this game is because no matter how the game might be with MUI Goku, Kefla, Toppo and a lot of the other characters in the previous seasons, there's no need for people to want to get it.

The problem with waiting until next gen for a sequel is that it'll mean another trimmed-down roster, another tiny single-player offering and a huge swathe of "new" DLC characters, many of whom will have also been DLC in this version. That doesn't really solve anyone's fundamental issues with paid DLC.
Yeah, there's really not going to be a need for it.

Say season 3 has MUI Goku, Kefla, Toppo and I don't know say somebody random even from the ToP.

A sequel announcement with new characters just can't compete with season 3. There's no way.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's really not going to be a need for it.

Say season 3 has MUI Goku, Kefla, Toppo and I don't know say somebody random even from the Top.

A sequel announcement with new characters just can't compete with season 3. There's no way.

They had an opportunity to do Super DBFZ and it looks like they decided not to. So now whenever it happens, the sequel is going to be like GG Strive where they strip everything down and do a "back to zero" approach so they can justify selling everyone the same characters as DLC all over again.

It's a shame, because man DBFZ could've been fleshed out with some good offline modes and they just...clearly don't care at all about anything but online play and pro tournaments.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If you pay full price for a game and half the character select screen is locked off to you unless you spend $30 or $40 more, yes. Why even invest in the game at all at that point?

That's become my primary issue with modern fighting games - extremely light amounts of offline content, and HUGE swathes of DLC-only playable characters (virtually none of which are factored into the offline modes) breeds the impression that these games expect you to do nothing but play online versus matches for months/years while throwing money at the developers every couple of weeks to unlock a new character.

If you're that old, you will surely remember than SFII had 8 playable characters, SF Alpha had 10, SFIII had 10, Smash had 12 (counting secret ones / clones), etc. New fighting videogames have always had "anemic" playable rosters, it's just what it is.

What they need to add is some new freaking stages, though. The base game was already lackluster in this regard, but three years and two full seasons of content later it's getting downright ridiculous to keep playing in the exact same handful of stages.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
They had an opportunity to do Super DBFZ and it looks like they decided not to. So now whenever it happens, the sequel is going to be like GG Strive where they strip everything down and do a "back to zero" approach so they can justify selling everyone the same characters as DLC all over again.

It's a shame, because man DBFZ could've been fleshed out with some good offline modes and they just...clearly don't care at all about anything but online play and pro tournaments.
While I don't think they're going to bring it back to zero, I think they'll just bring everybody over from FighterZ, improve the graphics and then give us some characters in the game that they hope fans will grab onto.

Like say FighterZ has all the FighterZ characters but maybe 10 new ones. Say season 3 of FighterZ gives us MUI, Kefla, Toppo, you know, 3 other characters.

Those 10 for FighterZ 2 will probably be Super Buu (with an absorption mechanic), SSBE Vegeta, Trio De Dangers or whatever they're called, Kale by herself, Caulifla by herself, Cabba, Roshi, Hercule, SSj Stage 3 Trunks from the Cell Saga and Ribrianne if she's not in season 3.

Just those level of characters. They feel more like DLC rather than new game.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
*A lot of homogenous beam assists in the game which is going to create situation where every team will have at least one beam assist (since a lot of characters have beams). Hoping for nerfs on beams and improvements on other assists.

With how often SSJ Goku was picked this season, they have to know ... I hope.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately curious about this. What single player/offline modes should a fighting game have that can't be done with within a month or so? I can only think of something like MK's Living Towers where completing them gives you new cosmetic items, and the Towers themselves often have different or random elements to the fights (although they eventually repeat). I really don't know what could be done to keep single player people entertained for years. We have arcade modes, and story modes, combo trials, missions, etc. and even now, an RPG mode in GBVS - but what's going to keep the single player person coming back every week? Any new mode is just going to take up a few hours of time and then what?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you're that old, you will surely remember than SFII had 8 playable characters, SF Alpha had 10, SFIII had 10, Smash had 12 (counting secret ones / clones), etc. New fighting videogames have always had "anemic" playable rosters, it's just what it is.

What they need to add is some new freaking stages, though. The base game was already lackluster in this regard, but three years and two full seasons of content later it's getting downright ridiculous to keep playing in the exact same handful of stages.

I do remember that. I also remember my favorite of the Alpha games being Alpha 3 and my favorite GG game (by far) being GGXX. That's why I've been hoping for a Super DBFZ or a DBFZ 2, because my favorite fighting games are always the ones with the biggest rosters and the most side content to play around with.

I didn't even buy Soul Calibur 6 this gen because I'd rather just wait and see if there's ever a full edition. And I love the SC series (well, except for V...) but it just doesn't feel like a good investment.

I'm legitimately curious about this. What single player/offline modes should a fighting game have that can't be done with within a month or so? I can only think of something like MK's Living Towers where completing them gives you new cosmetic items, and the Towers themselves often have different or random elements to the fights (although they eventually repeat). I really don't know what could be done to keep single player people entertained for years. We have arcade modes, and story modes, combo trials, missions, etc. and even now, an RPG mode in GBVS - but what's going to keep the single player person coming back every week? Any new mode is just going to take up a few hours of time and then what?

Towers are a good example. Survival modes, Guilty Gear's M.o.M. and associated modes, something like the [insert title here] Master modes from the SoulCal franchise before Namco stopped giving them budgets...

Obviously, all single player content has a lifespan. But a meaty, substantial offline mode that offers players things to do beyond just slamming their head against an online mode is a great way to keep people invested for longer than the standard story mode (aka "Arcade Mode with some cutscenes, maybe") in a lot of recent fighters. A lot of modern fighting games' story modes feel like they're being made out of obligation rather than because the developers are proud of them. Dissidia NT feels like this for example - they have a "story mode" but it's just cutscenes you unlock...from winning online fights. The game has zero content.

I might hate NetherRealm's core combat mechanics and character designs, but they definitely feel like the one fighter developer that's really invested in making sure every game they put out is packed with content for people who aren't interested in just playing online.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

I played the crap out of World Tour for months precisely because I could make different builds of the same character that played quite a bit differently from each other let alone other characters. The only thing that limited me was the lack of money to keep buying extra memory cards. That could be part of it, a side mode that lets you change up the feel of a character which I find a lot of these RPG modes in fighters dont do. Thats kind of why I didn't get hooked on MK11 towers. You're not really getting wild differences, you're getting shit like incremental stat changes that barely make the character feel any different at all. Casuals do not give a fuck about getting that item that allows a move to have less recovery or have more hitstun, they likely wont notice it. Whereas in alpha 3's world tour, I could suddenly do super cancels, or have a build that can do air chains or have access to ISM's that don't exist in normal mode...something that didn't exist at all in the base game. To put it short, MK11 is too focused on making players grind for nothing most players would even notice outside of a costume part rather than letting them have fun.

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
To this day I feel Alpha 3's World Tour Mode was probably the most fun I've had with single player modes in fighters in anything not called Smash Bros. Smash Bros is known for that stuff which is why I've got hundreds of hours in those games. Just the idea of playing a single player fighting game mode that you level up in a way similar to an RPG is really helpful.

Me, around say 2007-2014 I was always playing fighting games online, it was fun but eventually I tapped out because I just didn't enjoy it anymore. With that said I always had some single player stuff to do on the side.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To this day I feel Alpha 3's World Tour Mode was probably the most fun I've had with single player modes in fighters in anything not called Smash Bros. Smash Bros is known for that stuff which is why I've got hundreds of hours in those games. Just the idea of playing a single player fighting game mode that you level up in a way similar to an RPG is really helpful.

Me, around say 2007-2014 I was always playing fighting games online, it was fun but eventually I tapped out because I just didn't enjoy it anymore. With that said I always had some single player stuff to do on the side.

World Tour was definitely something else, even if it started to overrely on Shin Bison a bit too much as you went on.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you telling me that a new season is going to get more eyes, push and support behind it compared to a sequel?

That's what I'm saying. It's common sense. I'm not talking about SFV.
I can't be the only guy who was put off by ASW's annual/bi-annual retail updates even before SFV was a thing. I ended up skipping out on five(?) Blazblue games, P4:A Ultramax and Xrd Revelator because it felt like by the time I was just starting to get genuinely invested in a ASW fighting game, I'd hear about loc tests for the next version and it's like, what's the point?

I'm not saying that means anything, but I absolutely do not want to go back to that ASW anytime soon.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I do remember that. I also remember my favorite of the Alpha games being Alpha 3 and my favorite GG game (by far) being GGXX. That's why I've been hoping for a Super DBFZ or a DBFZ 2, because my favorite fighting games are always the ones with the biggest rosters and the most side content to play around with.

I didn't even buy Soul Calibur 6 this gen because I'd rather just wait and see if there's ever a full edition. And I love the SC series (well, except for V...) but it just doesn't feel like a good investment.

OK, but your comment was about modern fighting games having anemic starting rosters, and I was pointing out how that's always been the case. This isn't Alpha 3, this is Alpha 1. The fact that there's DLC characters doesn't mean they're not making a FighterZ II at some point, exactly the same as DLC characters and expansions didn't prevent SFIV, Smash 4, GG Xrd, etc. from having actual sequels.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
OK, but your comment was about modern fighting games having anemic starting rosters, and I was pointing out how that's always been the case. This isn't Alpha 3, this is Alpha 1. The fact that there's DLC characters doesn't mean they're not making a FighterZ II at some point, exactly the same as DLC characters and expansions didn't prevent SFIV, Smash 4, GG Xrd, etc. from having actual sequels.

Given how much DLC they've put out, I can only assume that whatever sequel they make for DBFZ will NOT be a "complete" version of the base game but with more content, but instead a complete "back to 0" sequel where they start over with an entirely new fighting framework like Guilty Gear Strive and drill the roster back to a "basic" level before starting to sell an entirely new carousel of DLC characters, many of whom were already playable in the current version of Fighterz.

Street Fighter will almost definitely do this next gen as well.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
World Tour was definitely something else, even if it started to overrely on Shin Bison a bit too much as you went on.
It also made me realize that I needed to play more characters but shit then again that was Alpha 3 as a whole. That's still one of the greatest fighting games to date from an overall presentation standpoint. Shit was just fun! Not that this game isn't fun. It is but for me I sort of tapped out earlier than I wanted to. I love Dragonball, I still play Dokkan, I've got Kakarot, I've loved it for decades but something about this hasn't really kept me on like I wish it did.

I checked my account and realized that I hadn't even bought Broly, Gogeta and Janemba yet. Just need something that makes me wanna get in again.
I can't be the only guy who was put off by ASW's annual/bi-annual retail updates even before SFV was a thing. I ended up skipping out on five(?) Blazblue games, P4:A Ultramax and Xrd Revelator because it felt like by the time I was just starting to get genuinely invested in a ASW fighting game, I'd hear about loc tests for the next version and it's like, what's the point?

I'm not saying that means anything, but I absolutely do not want to go back to that ASW anytime soon.
Yeah, I'm not saying that their constant updates was good because it's not. With this game we're on the third season of DLC so it's like alright, this is where I think we're going to end it before a sequel. I don't see another season afterwards especially with new consoles about to drop.

But if we get the characters I think we'll get then who do I get a sequel for? That's my biggest issue.

The gameplay is fun, I love the new assists, all the extra dare ok but I'm thinking of what I'd wanna get a sequel for outside of it just being a new DB game and I can't think of anything because one of the reasons (MUI Goku) is coming to this title. I just don't know.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Given how much DLC they've put out, I can only assume that whatever sequel they make for DBFZ will NOT be a "complete" version of the base game but with more content, but instead a complete "back to 0" sequel where they start over with an entirely new fighting framework like Guilty Gear Strive and drill the roster back to a "basic" level before starting to sell an entirely new carousel of DLC characters, many of whom were already playable in the current version of Fighterz.

This is not a wise assumption to make. SFV went the full reset route, leading to a very problematic first year. Smash went the fully additive route, to resounding acclaim and sales.

GG has a lot more justification than FighterZ for this due to:
- Strong focus on ongoing, original story.
- Character redesigns.
- Animation improvements.
None of the above applies to FighterZ: story is absolutely not a focus at all (for better or worse), characters obviously won't be redesigned, and the animation in FighterZ was actually scaled back from even Xrd's quality to better match the anime. There is really no incentive for a do-over, especially not this close to the original.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. They need to offer players who didn't buy the season passes an affordable pathway back into the game or they need to just cut it and move on to a sequel that includes these improvements as a base update.

"Hey, pay us $120 if you want to play our game" isn't really a good marketing strategy.
Good thing I waited to get the game. I bought the Ultimate Edition digitally on sale this past Christmas for $21.99

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is not a wise assumption to make. SFV went the full reset route, leading to a very problematic first year. Smash went the fully additive route, to resounding acclaim and sales.

GG has a lot more justification than FighterZ for this due to:
  • Strong focus on ongoing, original story.
  • Character redesigns.
  • Animation improvements.
None of the above applies to FighterZ: story is absolutely not a focus at all (for better or worse), characters obviously won't be redesigned, and the animation in FighterZ was actually scaled back from even Xrd's quality to better match the anime. There is really no incentive for a do-over, especially not this close to the original.
Most of SFV's complaints were regarding the lack of modes, not so much the roster. That's not to say that there weren't complaints about the roster size, but they weren't anywhere near as prevalent. With that said, DBFZ could hit the reset button to bring the character designs more in line with Shintani's art style.

1e57f95d965287900a52d8be67df1b9bea967785r1-1172-750v2_uhq.jpg

Imagine Shintani's take on Gohan, 17, 18, Goku Black, Gotenks, Videl, & a number of other characters.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It's kinda baffling they didn't add a Free Run mode of FighterZ's story with a few changes. Seemed like a no brainer.