• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i sure do wish it was more urgent to get those two girl saiyans in. i want to buy the game pls

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, a character saves another character in a show who is getting their ass kicked! I am APPALLED! SEXIST! DISGUSTING!
You are just being delebretaly fucking obtuse at this point.

Who else has being saved by someone else as part of their fucking moveset?!!?

Generally if you have a character in a fighting game their moves are supposed to be a showcase of how badass they can be unless there a joke fighter.

But if you seriously don't see why one one of the only female fighters in the game has being a damsel in distress be part of her fucking move set I don't think I can even help you.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
its a wake up super. You see her get knocked down
15486377942220669.gif

Also guessing S is the (S)aiyaman button

lemonade

May 8, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns of Representation and Sexism Across a Series of Posts
Yep you just keep on ignoring the greater issues with that scene in the context of the series as a whole.

Videl, a human, got beat by a magic juiced villain. Gohan, her potential boyfriend and a Saiyan, was pissed and tried to save her.

SEXIST ! !

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The scene itself isn't sexist in Dragon Ball Z. It's actually progressive since Toriyama actually had a female get a beating that usually the men get. Most manga artists tend to cubbled their good female cast members, looking at you Oda.
The videl vs sopovich scene is sexist?
Seems more brutally harsh to me

The problem is more of her moveset rather than her herself
It's not sexist in a vacuum but that is Videl's only fight and she gets brutally beaten in it. She never fights again after it. I don't think it was Toriyama's intention but it's a bad look.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like some people in here think Videl is way stronger than she actually is....

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Videl being added is a huge Surprise. Love that they paired her with Great Saiyaman. Gonna be a fun character.

Cannot wait for Broly and Gogeta too.

Jun 12, 2018
You are just being delebretaly fucking obtuse at this point.

Who else has being saved by someone else as part of their fucking moveset?!!?

Generally if you have a character in a fighting game their moves are supposed to be a showcase of how badass they can be unless there a joke fighter.

But if you seriously don't see why one one of the only female fighters in the game has being a damsel in distress be part of her fucking move set I don't think I can even help you.
Frieza.
Captain Ginyu.
Goku(in the sense that krillin getting his ass kicked is what makes him go super saiyan, but you're more than welcome to not include that)

That's off the top of my head.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I would also add Hercule never fought anyone for real and was a fully fledged character. They turned his gag with Buu into his super lol.
He can't fly in a game with flying.
So they game him a jetpack.

so it's not crazy
Now, that is a better example, but Hercule was always a joke character on Dragon Bal games and it shows with his moveset doing a ballet spin in one game or a photo shot in another. Yes, they can do the same with Videl but as past games has shown her moveset potential isn't much. Look at Budokai Tenkaichi where all her specials where rushes; and the developer didn't want to fall into the same trap with her lacking ki attacks.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
The scene itself isn't sexist in Dragon Ball Z. It's actually progressive since Toriyama actually had a female get a beating that usually the men get. Most manga artists tend to cubbled their good female cast members, looking at you Oda.
Having one of a handful of female characters being viciously beaten up in order to be saved by her love interest is not progressive.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
So is Videl like her and Gohan together simultaneously fighting the whole time? That's really sick I gotta get back into this game.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yeah 17 is a different kind of beast.

Android arc 17 probably would have needed 18 but while 18 hasn't improved much since then 17 is a different story. For some reason 17 can go against Blue God Goku and have a decent chance

Yet, 17 has far more team-up battles than 18. In the TOP, he teamed up with 18, Goku, 18 and Goku, Gohan, Vegeta and Goku, and Frieza and Goku. So why does he get to be solo when some of his best fights have him in a team-up?

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people dismissed Jiren as not having a moveset? lol

Jiren and especially Videl look badass!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Videl is one of the most boring additions imaginable. Fight me. They literally had to put Gohan in her moveset because that's how little she brings to the table. But if they're willing to add her, then I feel like the likes of Dabura and Janemba can't far behind.

Glad to see Gogeta and Broly though.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm disappointed it doesn't seem they're taking much from Jiren's battle against true UI Goku. Most of his movements seem to be from earlier in the tournament. Videl also is a disappointing choice at this point though. She made sense as an addition when they needed scraps for a female character, taking any small bit from the source material, but nowadays she isn't really necessary.

I guess 17 must be super duper special then since he is apparently perfectly capable of fighting on his own.

17 was heavily pushed by Super during the ToP, even getting to fight side by side with Super Saiyan Blue level fighters, and was the last man standing by the end. 18's big hyped episode was defeating a girl who previously had been left crying after getting beaten up by base Vegeta (and with 17's help anyway).

Oct 27, 2017
The real problem is that dbz treats most of its female characters like shit that it's just going to trickle down to media like this.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, it doesn't matter. But what I replied was him saying they were weak characters too, which is not case. Maybe in comparison to the big guns, but in general no.
They ARE weak, dude. It doesn't matter that they're way more powerful than regular humans, they canonically would be bodied 100 times over by most fighters in the series. That is why the argument of Videl being weak is disingenuous. It doesn't matter that Yamcha is stronger than Videl when he can't fucking beat anyone, yet he's a full fledged solo fighter in FighterZ roster.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Videl was all on her own instead of with Great Saiyaman, yet another female character that can't fight on their own. They could've made it work without him or at least made her Great Saiyawoman instead. She looks good though.

Anyways, I hope the other 2 are UI Goku and Roshi. If not one of them, then maybe Kefla.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking give up.

Fine there is nothing wrong about having one of your only female characters have being a damsel in distress be a part of her move set.

Having her be best within an inch of her life and then have her only roll be popping out Gohans kid is fine.

Why not have this be a part of Kefla's move set while we're at it?
Screenshot_2019-01-16-11-54-52-1.png

It's from the manga which means it's instantly ok right?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's not sexist in a vacuum but that is Videl's only fight and she gets brutally beaten in it. She never fights again after it. I don't think it was Toriyama's intention but it's a bad look.

That's unfortunate Implication, not sexism. In terms of execution and what was going on, Videl's beating was on a similar level to many fights in Z like Gohan vs Recoome or almost any Vegeta fight. It even had the same 'pride before the fall' setup that is used when a character's head gets too big.

But the main problem here is how the game chose to used it. Like they could have used the scene when Videl got her second wind and twisted the guy's neck.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Videl and Gohan are the GOAT couple, though she should have just been Saiyawoman with Saiyaman in this game tbh.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'll mention here what I said in another thread on it's own, Videl with Gohan as an assist character makes sense, but when you combine that with the lack of playable female characters (only other ones being 18 and 21) and 18 sharing her roster slot with 17 to boot, it really makes it stand out.

TBH, 17 and 18 should have been individual characters from the start, and characters like Caulifla and Kale should've been on the Roster or at least Season 1.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they copied one of the most sexist scenes.

That's a problem.
It's a very brutal and uncomfortable scene but I wouldn't even say its cracks the top 100 most sexist DBZ moments. Gohan vs Recoome, Krillin vs Anyone, Yamcha vs Tien, Vegeta vs Frieza. The list goes on. Toriyama always has a super one sided fight where one character gets washed. Videl did great with unbeatable odds. It's literally the Apolo vs Ivan Drogo fight except if Rocky and Apolo were dating. I'm honestly surprised Toriyama let Videl finish the fight instead of making Gohan save the day after the first punch.

Clearly it's a controversial fight so I don't expect everyone to view it the same way especially with Toriyama's track record.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a horse in this race and I would actually rather have either 18 or Videl be a solo character for sure, but:

hqdefault.jpg

Frieza does calling Sorbet to save him
Fair enough point but you have to admit it's a much worse look to have it be a major part of Videl's moveset when she already has a heavy reliance on Gohan and the lack of female fighters.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Videl should've been a season 3 character imo and have Kefla be released with Jiren.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They ARE weak, dude. It doesn't matter that they're way more powerful than regular humans, they canonically would be bodied 100 times over by most fighters in the series. That is why the argument of Videl being weak is disingenuous. It doesn't matter that Yamcha is stronger than Videl when he can't fucking beat anyone, yet he's a full fledged solo fighter in FighterZ roster.

He could probably beat Nappa since Gero thought that he was Goku by his power reading.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I feel like some people in here think Videl is way stronger than she actually is....

This. Videl's training consists of working out in a gym and then getting a week crash course on how to fly. The only reason she's ever been in these fighting games is because Dragon Ball's cast is full of guys, but now that Super exists, there's actually stronger characters to choose from like the Saiyan girls, Ribrianne and the Kamikazes, Helles, and Vados and her sister angels. Plus, in the expanded universe, there's Towa and the rest of those demons and mages from Heroes.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Me after reading the title
"Videl?, are you kidding me? It's a awful choice"

Me after saw the trailer
"I need this"