• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm genuinely curious why voice actors seem notably more prone to this sort of conservative weirdness than other "creative" professions.
Totally talking from my ass here so maybe this isn't on the money, but maybe because it's a more isolated practice? Occasionally you get bonds between the cast members (some Western cartoons have all the actors in one room, for example), but especially for stuff like anime and video games, it's usually just you in the booth with the director, a technician and no one else.

My experience working in theatre is that it's extremely hard for people holding anti-LGBTQ+ views to get work, because... well, a lot of the talent identifies as LGBTQ+, loudly and proudly. For many it's their safe space. And boy, nothing shatters that faster than finding out your co-star thinks you're a sinner destined for Hell because of who you love or how you identify. And there's zero slack given (rightfully so, I should add) to people who are like "well I support gay people, but I also like Trump because of tax cuts!" because that doesn't help anyone who's impacted by his (or other Republicans) homophobic, transphobic etc. agenda. At most you'll get some libertarians who claim to just hate both sides.

I imagine movies and television are similar, and it ends up being a lot easier to be a right-wing shithead in a field where everyone is more or less left to their own devices. Another possible reason is that live acting could put you in compromising sexual positions, or playing someone who identifies differently than yourself. Might be easier for conservative voice actors to build a wall between themselves and the content - thinking of Vic Mignogna saying stuff like "every character I play is a heterosexual Christian" despite the fact that several of his characters canonically are not (Ed Elric is an atheist, I think there's also a CLAMP character he played who has a male lover).

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
From what I know, as someone who's dealt with the studio a ton over the years (I live nearby) and has friends who used to work there, the idea that losing Mark is somehow a positive comes from Ellis' head - nowhere else.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Flemmeth and Morrigan VA's all good right?
Claudia Black seems cool, posts a lot of quasi leftist, and pro-BLM stuff.

Kate Mulgrew idk, wasn't she involved in some weird conservative docu a while back?

edit: it was a flat earth documentary and apparently she was tricked into it

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I'm genuinely curious why voice actors seem notably more prone to this sort of conservative weirdness than other "creative" professions.

As if standard actors werent the same.

Voice acting is an isolated profession in general and proud for its tradition

While salaries are low too and one cant live from voice acting alone.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
He claims to be the voice of Anders and Cullen for ten years, but what does that even mean when the last game was released six years ago?