• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I remember making sure I played it BEFORE the Witcher 3 so that it couldn't taint it. And I still fucking hated that game. It's the definition of meandering. It's better than dragon age 2. But not by a lot and kind of represents everything that went wrong with Bioware going forward. Instead of taking inspiration from the great games they've made. They instead seemed to use inquisition as their template for open world busywork on Andromeda and anthem. 2 games that subsequently failed.

It's honestly crazy to think that Bioware was one of my all time favourite developers...that feels like it was a lifetime ago now.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those games where 20% of your time in the game is wortwhile, but the other 80% feels like a waste of your time.

And I say this as someone who beat the game in 'only' 40h.

I did leave the Hinterlands early, but most other areas are the same. Large, most empty areas, filled with bad MMO encounters and bad MMO quests.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Really underrated game around here. It had some bloat but the story, characters, environments, music, etc. were all fantastic. The combat wasn't as deep as the combat in Origins but I still had a blast with it. Trespasser was incredible and I'm so glad that they are continuing on with that story in DA4 instead of abandoning it entirely like they were originally planning to do.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I played it at launch before the switched and thought it was rubbish.
I liked the main story quests but everything else just felt really boring, even talking with characters was really boring in this game which was the first for a Bioware game obviously pretty much every game since then has ha the same problem.
It felt like Skyrim but none of the side quests were actually interesting to do, was pretty disappointed with it at the time.

OP
OP
Ivory Samoan

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Really underrated game around here. It had some bloat but the story, characters, environments, music, etc. were all fantastic. The combat wasn't as deep as the combat in Origins but I still had a blast with it. Trespasser was incredible and I'm so glad that they are continuing on with that story in DA4 instead of abandoning it entirely like they were originally planning to do.
Yeah I'm also in the boat where I'm glad that small scale heist DA4 got canned, in favor of actually continuing the Dread Wolf story.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave this game one more chance last year and it finally clicked with me, after many years of trying to get into it. It's flawed for sure, but I absolutely loved it and almost got the platinum trophy (fuck difficulty trophies). Finished all the DLCs too. It's got a fun combat system, interesting characters and an awesome world to explore. It holds up visually too.

I honestly like it more than the Witcher 3, which I quit halfway through.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I also think the games multiplayer mode was a lot of fun.

I wouldn't. It's a disappointing slog and the writing, which was never more than average, goes to absolute shit in the last act undermining most of the stuff it had built up to that point. If you want to play 2 just start there.

How's the DLC for Pillars 1?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
How's the DLC for Pillars 1?
White March is considered by most the best content in that game. I loved the base game and think it's well worth the time, but WM was a big step up in quality without question. Really good writing, three great new companions, very good encounter design and some great new itemization.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
What really gets me about the game -- and it's a little thing -- is the horrible job they did with hair textures, especially facial hair. Stroud looks like he's got a pound of shoe polish on his face.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a bit. But yeah, Witcher 3 absolutely changed the game shortly after.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It has its problems, but overall I think it was a pretty decent return to form for the series after the dissapointment that was DA2. Especially considering the apparent nightmare it was to develop.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I remember spending like an hour straight holding down a button and watching the same animation performed over and over and over, only to push another button every so often.

Game was utterly dull.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first few games I played on my PS4, and have fond memories of it.

This thread actually has me super confused though, why didn't we ever get a sequel or new entry?

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Despite all the rpgs I've played for the current consoles the one I've gone back to the most is Inquisition, the highs are just very good. If it wasn't for Divinity original Sin 2 I would say Inquisition might actually be my personal favorite rpg this gen.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
It sold great, reviewed well.

EA being EA.

Yea.. i think a sequel could have been something special

Thanks for the share, reading through it now...came across this part, "Perhaps the saddest thing about Dragon Age 4's cancellation in 2017..."

Say whatttttt

giphy.gif

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I think it is a lot of fun but it is extremely exhausting to replay due to the time limits, the collect-a-thon aspect of it, and more. I've tried so many times. It got a bit too much backlash for winning so many GOTY awards, imho. I had a blast playing through it and maybe in the next year or two, I'll finally succeed in beating it a second time.
I modded all of that out on PC. Gave myself unlimited Power and Influence, made the War Table timers set to zero, so every action resolves as soon as you click.

Makes it an incredibly better feeling game if the PC is available to you.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I replayed it last year and picked a qunari as a character. I'm so glad I did, god, it was so much fun.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I never played when it came out, precisely because of The Witcher 3.

Looking at the medieval fantasy genre current landscape, it starts to become the next obvious choice if you are with that itch

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Good to hear. I've always hated the comparisons to Witcher 3, especially since I've always enjoyed Inquisition WAY more. Just picked up TW3 again for the first time since it released and it just reinforced that feeling. In Inquisition (to me), the combat is more satisfying, the characters are more engaging, the visuals are more striking, and the overall lore is just more interesting.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Popular opinion rightfully elevating DA:I back up where it belongs has been wonderful to see.

I've been saying the game was incredible from the start.

Gorgeous environments. Interesting characters with well-written and well-acted conversations. Good party dynamics. Tough, meaningful choices. Really good castle-building metagame.

It's just... all-around excellent.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the goty edition on sale a few months ago and now get "invalid account " from ea whenever i boot it up on Xbox.

Idk what happened, but now I can't play it or Apex. :( Not sure how to fix it either.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Funny this thread popped up I started downloading it last night. Going to once again give it a shot, I remember liking it. Across xbox one and ps4 I'd always get distracted by other mp games so I haven't put more than 3 hours in.

Now that TLOU2 and Tsushima are done it's time to play this.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I actually loved the game, but then my save got corrupted in the desert area and I never went back... Doubt I ever will.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I played it before The Witcher III and really enjoyed it. I honestly think "setting burn out" is definitely possible, but I think they're different enough that they stand on their own merits.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
i think the game was pretty good if you ignored its filler content,which was approximately 50% of the quests.

Thats what I did and enjoyed it immensely. People who bothered doing every task,it felt like an mmo grind

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
I finally played it a while ago, I loved it and I thought the story was good and world was just beautiful, I also loved most of the companions and characters but it sadly got repetitive and dragged a bit too long with all the pointless side quests.
Still a great game and The Trespasser DLC was just amazing!

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I bought it on release, put about 15 hours into it, then uninstalled it. What a disappointing game.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Age 1 is still by far my favorite. I am really sad how they butchered the combat for inquisition.
I even prefer DA2 and that says a lot.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of those games where 20% of your time in the game is wortwhile, but the other 80% feels like a waste of your time.

I did leave the Hinterlands early, but most other areas are the same. Large, most empty areas, filled with bad MMO encounters and bad MMO quests.

Yuuuup, as someone that still considers this game worth playing and "pretty decent", I always refer to it as a really stellar 30 hour RPG trapped up 70 hours of pure MMO fluff garbage. It's a damn shame cause that's a legitimately good 30 hours.

roguebubble

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 8, 2018
Played it on normal on 360 on release and recently started a play through on PC on causal to experience the DLC for the first time with lots of QoL mods so I've got several thoughts (sorry for going on long):
  • Graphics on 360 weren't good, better on PC but I've had noticeable pop-in during cut-scenes. I've also had occasional freezes but that could be mods, my PC or some Origin issue.
  • The main issue I had with combat was trying to get the AI companions to be effective. They don't have very smart tactics so it's like herding cats sometimes and a lot of abilities they just won't use effectively - possibly to the point of killing themselves (looking at you Iron Bull).
  • Dragon Age Keep is a pain to use and if it's used for the next game needs to be revamped.
  • The war table was a cute idea in theory but real world timers ruined it and having to constantly go back to it was annoying with all the loading screens - would be much better if you could access it from the pause menu even when exploring. Removing the timers with mods was mostly good but does somewhat screw up the pacing for a few companion whose quests use the war table.
  • I can only imagine how impenetrable this game must be for a newcomer. You're thrown straight into middle of major conflicts of this world without really being given enough information and while I'm sure the context can be found buried in the codex, the game could of done a much better job explaining upfront. And then there are like characters like Cole and Fiona where meta knowledge is almost required to understand them. Hopefully given the gap between the last DA:I content and DA4 release (earliest is 2022) then they'll have to make more of an effort to onboard new players and those who fell off after DA:I.
  • The pacing pre-skyhold is very odd: your character has little input at the formation of the inquisition but is then suddenly leading a small army, spy network and diplomatic mission (also Josephine could have used much more of an introduction instead of just suddenly appearing the hour the inquisition is formed). If more time was spent explicitly showing you build up the inquisition it could of worked; but that would of delayed getting to skyhold so I'm not entirely sure.
  • I did like the game tracking whether you believe in God or not and changing dialogue options based on that. The tracking of your actions to influence who became the next Divine was also good idea but needed re-balancing since by the time I became aware of the candidates on my first play-through and that I was influencing it there were very few chances left to support a particular candidate. I think it's even possible for one candidate to be so ahead based on your past decisions that by the time you become aware of the candidates it's too late to change the outcome which is frustrating if you try to then support someone else.
  • It is somewhat weird that whole mage-templar war is mostly resolved by who you decide closes the breach which is totally unrelated to the original conflict that started the mage rebellion. I'm starting to think it would been better to have those quests post Skyhold and closing the Breach involved recruiting small amounts of both and so gain a templar and mage representative to give you each their perceptive; with the first post Skyhold quest to choose a side to fully recruit as part of rebuilding in the wake of Corph's attack.
The RPG scene has changed a lot since DA:I release with The Witcher 3, Divinity 2, Persona 5, etc. and that's only looking at video games; DnD 5e with the help of several popular web series has seen tabletop rpgs reach new popularity and the Bioware games of old would have targeted that audience perfectly if made today. If DA4 is another live service game as that Kotaku article indicate then I honestly don't think it would have that have appeal and would be the end of Bioware for good if it's as bad Andromeda or Anthem.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020

That was my impression after recently finishing the game. Interesting story and characters (apart from a couple which really grated on my nerves). I actually didn't mine the combat by the end, certainly want the borefest I was told it was going to be, but nothing great either.

Will check out the DLCs at some point.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably about halfway through the game now. Started playing it for the first time about a month ago. I knew to "leave the hinterlands" but I spent a lot of time there anyway. I think I'm 60 hours in. There's a ton of filler in this game but it isn't much different than assassin's creed, and many other modern games in that regard.

I'm finding it better than DAII but I think I enjoyed Origins more. I played the other two when they were new so waiting so long to play this one has meant that I pretty much forgot the overarching story for the most part. The beginning of this game was pretty confusing, the war table stuff especially was something I didn't get around to for quite some time. Overall I'm enjoying the game but if I decide to do a nightmare run later I'm glad I'll have more knowledge about the game and it's systems and that I'll know what quests to skip.

Also, I feel like DAO had my favourite companions. This game isn't too bad but some of them are just annoying af. Also, I hated Varric in II and that hasn't changed. At least Inquisition has more than just the same map a ton of times like the second one though. That game was so bad. Inquisition is an ugly game but so were the other two so no surprises there.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What are you doing that you aren't getting her as Divine? What choices you making/dialogue?

It's been a bug since the game released that the game will just sometimes not make her Divine.

-I softened Leliana and completed her personal quest.
-Chose to have the mages as allies.
-Supported Gaspard (this one is something Leliana dislikes)
-Told Leliana she'd make a great divine and should reform.
-Discouraged Cassandra to become Divine.
-Did not complete war table mission to support Cassandra.
-Basically preached non-stop about freeing mages and the Chantry being shit.

Yet, I still get Cassandra who I also romanced.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's been a bug since the game released that the game will just sometimes not make her Divine.

-I softened Leliana and completed her personal quest.
-Chose to have the mages as allies.
-Supported Gaspard (this one is something Leliana dislikes)
-Told Leliana she'd make a great divine and should reform.
-Discouraged Cassandra to become Divine.
-Did not complete war table mission to support Cassandra.
-Basically preached non-stop about freeing mages and the Chantry being shit.

Yet, I still get Cassandra who I also romanced.
Weird, though apparently not softening Leliana makes no difference to her becoming divine (stabby murder pope for the win!) , you can try and follow the guide on the wiki but it does sound like your unlucky and bug. What did ya do with the Wardens?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think it may have been the most neutral game I have ever played. It functioned. It had absolutely zero heart. It was a game you could play without having any feelings elicited. The truest 5 out of 10 that ever was.