• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
How far off would people say DA4 is? They said the game wouldn't come out until Fiscal 2023 but that's...actually not that far off right now.
Fall 2023, but with Covid delays who knows.

Absolutely insane to think it will have 10 years between Inquisition and its sequel, a game that I'll remind people was received extremely well. Both critically and commercially.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inquisition was absolutely fucking ridiculous for a game that:
1. BioWare's first Frostbite game
2. Had to run on 512MB (or 256 plus 256MB,) for PS3/360 gen systems

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Last word we got on it is that they're on track for a 2023 launch. Remember the game was originally slated for 2022, so it's more likely that it's now scheduled for the first half of 2023, late 2023 at the latest.
I get it but I guess I've become super paranoid about game delays these days. Late 2023 definitely makes sense.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK, Darrah was pushing for a unified Frostbite tech stack, and was met with resistance insofar as people preferred to reengineer solutions versus iterating on existing ones. Since DA might be built using Anthem's tools but without having to engineer networking/multiplayer features, it might be smoother sailing.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
AFAIK, Darrah was pushing for a unified Frostbite tech stack, and was met with resistance insofar as people preferred to reengineer solutions versus iterating on existing ones. Since DA might be built using Anthem's tools but without having to engineer networking/multiplayer features, it might be smoother sailing.
Didn't Schreier publish an article to say that they decided DA4 will be Single Player only? or am I misremembering that?
Edit: Nope, it's single player only as I thought https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...pivots-on-dragon-age-game-removes-multiplayer

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a miracle that they pulled it off, even with all the cuts they had to make to fit those specs.

I can't wait to see what DA4 is like, given it's next-gen only.

I get it but I guess I've become super paranoid about game delays these days. Late 2023 definitely makes sense.
That's fair, but we do now they've been in full production for around a year and a half now, after 1 ~ 1.5 year in pre-production, so it's been from 2.5 to 3 years of dev time already. Of course, I may be wrong here, but I'll be a bit surprised if the game turns out to be a 2024 release.

Last edited:

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I don't know if this has ever been brought up (in this thread at least), but Sandal gave up the plot of Inquisition/Trespasser and IV in Dragon Age 2. It was a completely random moment.

Sandal said:
One day the magic will come back. All of it. Everyone will be just like they were. The shadows will part, and the skies will open wide. When he rises, everyone will see.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I don't know if this has ever been brought up (in this thread at least), but Sandal gave up the plot of Inquisition/Trespasser and IV in Dragon Age 2. It was a completely random moment.
I don't know about this thread but yeah, it's something the larger DA community has been talking about for a while. It makes you wonder how far ahead Bioware had the broad strokes of this universe mapped out.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Sandal is a funny case, I'm not sure if he's just a running gag by being this unusually powerful/wise person despite his limited mental capacity or if BioWare actually has an explanation for his powers or knowledge of the world. I do appreciate that they've revealed more about him, like how Bodahn finds Sandal in a very specific place...

Bodahn Feddic of the Merchant caste found Sandal when he was five years old while searching for ancient dwarven artifacts in a location past and below the Aeducan Thaig. Sandal was a young boy with hair pale like marble and clear blue eyes and no Blight could be seen in him. The boy was within a chamber that contained a glittering wall depicting ancient tales of heroes and Paragons. Elves, dwarves, dragons and other unknown creatures were also depicted, in a mosaic filled with gold and gems.
From the wiki, and The World of Thedas Vol. 2

So I hope he appears in the next game. Like, I think it would be wild, but also possible if he ends up being another elven spirit in living vessel, like Solas and Flemeth lol

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Sandal is a funny case, I'm not sure if he's just a running gag by being this unusually powerful/wise person despite his limited mental capacity or if BioWare actually has an explanation for his powers or knowledge of the world. I do appreciate that they've revealed more about him, like how Bodahn finds Sandal in a very specific place...

From the wiki, and The World of Thedas Vol. 2

So I hope he appears in the next game. Like, I think it would be wild, but also possible if he ends up being another elven spirit in living vessel, like Solas and Flemeth lol

I'm honestly not sure if this is a reliable source, but they spoke with Yuri Lowenthal who voices Sandal and unless they're recasting him, he said he hasn't been asked to appear in it yet. Could also be swerving so who really knows.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/10/dragon-age-4-sandal-yuri-lowenthal

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
xh12Dxs.png

Honestly, big mood.
But yeah, at least it gives me a good reason to keep on living until DA4 is released!

Absolutely insane to think it will have 10 years between Inquisition and its sequel, a game that I'll remind people was received extremely well. Both critically and commercially.

It's certainly a bit sad, if you think about it. The DA franchise didn't deserve to be put on the sidelines by Bioware like that, it deserves a bit better after all the success it garnered.
On the other hand, taking their time means that, hopefully, the quality will be there as they can work on this game by iterating a lot and having quite the flexibility, and (hopefully but I think I'm naive there?) not crunching a lot. We'll see.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure if this is a reliable source, but they spoke with Yuri Lowenthal who voices Sandal and unless they're recasting him, he said he hasn't been asked to appear in it yet. Could also be swerving so who really knows.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/10/dragon-age-4-sandal-yuri-lowenthal
Welp... On one hand, he probably couldn't confirm either way because of NDAs and such, on the other, it's also something that wouldn't surprise me lol
We know they're recording lines for the game already, apparently, so if Yuri Lowenthal hasn't been called yet, that's a strong sign Sandal won't be in it.
It's certainly a bit sad, if you think about it. The DA franchise didn't deserve to be put on the sidelines by Bioware like that, it deserves a bit better after all the success it garnered.
On the other hand, taking their time means that, hopefully, the quality will be there as they can work on this game by iterating a lot and having quite the flexibility, and (hopefully but I think I'm naive there?) not crunching a lot. We'll see.
This, so much. It's sad this game got caught up in all the Andromeda and Anthem turmoil, which certainly added several years to its development time. I just hope that BioWare is also aiming to streamline their development process as well so they don't need 6 or more years for every new game they make. I sure am glad they're taking the time, but like, I'd be completely fine if, for instance, Dragon Age 5 wasn't a drastic change from Dragon Age 4 like Inquisition was and Dragon Age 4 seems to be. I'd be fine it was a new story in a game that plays mostly the same. They don't need to reinvent the wheel for every title.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Schreier publish an article to say that they decided DA4 will be Single Player only? or am I misremembering that?
Edit: Nope, it's single player only as I thought https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...pivots-on-dragon-age-game-removes-multiplayer
It is. DA built the foundations by which you have have an RPG in Frostbite. Andromeda's development apparently just did everything from scratch which is probably why there was so much bitching about the engine. All I was saying is that since it seems like DA might iterate on top of Anthem's tools, I'm hoping they have an easier time because they don't have to implement/use the multiplayer/networking functions because it's single player.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Absolutely. Replaying Inquisition right now, and the game still looks mosty great - could definitely use a resolution bump on Xbox, but it feels great at 60 fps

Nov 3, 2017
www.resetera.com

List of GeForce games which have a future release dates has been reportedly leaked. Rumor

Take it with a huge grain of salt because a lot are obviously placeholders, but I believe it gives us a good window of release dates. Some interesting stuff in here: The page has been taken down Backup: The backup seems to still be up Some notable games, not all games are included, just some...

From the other thread. 2022 would be an optimistic date.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It is. DA built the foundations by which you have have an RPG in Frostbite. Andromeda's development apparently just did everything from scratch which is probably why there was so much bitching about the engine. All I was saying is that since it seems like DA might iterate on top of Anthem's tools, I'm hoping they have an easier time because they don't have to implement/use the multiplayer/networking functions because it's single player.
I think that Anthem codebase is evident even in the behind the scenes trailer from last year. This doesn't look like the old Dragon Age combat to me:

giphy.gif

The over-the-shoulders camera is very reminiscent of Anthem, just without the shooter bits. Of course, adjusting the camera might be simple, but the fact they were testing this kind of combat gameplay makes me think they are actually attempting a new combat system for the game with Anthem as a starting point.

www.resetera.com

List of GeForce games which have a future release dates has been reportedly leaked. Rumor

Take it with a huge grain of salt because a lot are obviously placeholders, but I believe it gives us a good window of release dates. Some interesting stuff in here: The page has been taken down Backup: The backup seems to still be up Some notable games, not all games are included, just some...

From the other thread. 2022 would be an optimistic date.
And Summer 2022, even. That's extremely optimistic lmao

Maybe that entry is outdated. But damn, can I dream just a bit?

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Since he has mentioned 2023 and next gen stuff, I could see a short DA4 gameplay teaser at TGA. Hopefully we get the title reveal as well.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

Since he has mentioned 2023 and next gen stuff, I could see a short DA4 gameplay teaser at TGA. Hopefully we get the title reveal as well.

Fingers crossed! If there's any chance this game is an early 2023 title - or at least first half of 2023 - it's time for them to start spinning the marketing machine.

Can't wait.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Based on the wording of the email (and some of the comments in the other thread), seems like this might not be a bad thing for the team at Bioware.

Oh, I had not seen the thread about it yet, thanks for letting me know there was one:

www.resetera.com

Dragon Age's Senior Creative Director Has Left BioWare

https://kotaku.com/dragon-ages-senior-creative-director-has-left-bioware-1848114644

And I guess we'll never truly know, but yeah, might be a good thing in the end, we'll see.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
going from inquisition doing very well both critically and in general response, having an excellent finale dlc that set up where the series was going, and apparently being bioware's most successful game in its history

to its sequel potentially coming out a decade later

why-arewe-still-here-mgs-video-game.gif
It's been said before but it bears repeating. EA can't even do capitalism right. When you launch a successful product that is the time to follow up. Not shelve it in favour of other ventures.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's been said before but it bears repeating. EA can't even do capitalism right. When you launch a successful product that is the time to follow up. Not shelve it in favour of other ventures.

They didn't follow up because they had ME Andromed and Anthem in pre-production when they launched Inquisition.

It's not like they had their devs doing nothing and waited 10 years to push another Dragon Age. Anthem took DA4 place in the pipeline.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
They didn't follow up because they had ME Andromed and Anthem in pre-production when they launched Inquisition.

It's not like they had their devs doing nothing and waited 10 years to push another Dragon Age. Anthem took DA4 place in the pipeline.
Yes, and I would argue that having Bioware work on Anthem instead of DA4 (and also letting them dick around for three years on Andromeda prototypes that never went anywhere instead of on a traditional Mass Effect game) is a further example of the whole bad at capitalism thing.

Seriously, people paint EA as this soul-crushing company but apparently, Bioware has been given a decade of leeway to experiment around with other stuff instead of doing something safe and reliable. Which would have been awesome if they had panned out, but they didn't so now Bioware is just getting back to working on the games they probably should have been working on years ago.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
www.ea.com

The Flame Eternal

A pair of necromancers investigate what torments a distressed inhabitant of the Grand Necropolis.
Thirty years ago, in 9:22 Dragon…
Thirty years ago from when? Seems like DA4 is gonna be set in 9:52? Which would be about eight years after Trespasser I think. Biggest time skip yet, it was one year between DA2 and DA:I, four years if you count from the end of Act 3.

Last edited:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
www.ea.com

The Flame Eternal

A pair of necromancers investigate what torments a distressed inhabitant of the Grand Necropolis.

Thirty years ago from when? Seems like DA4 is gonna be set in 9:52? Which would be about eight years after Trespasser I think. Biggest time skip yet, it was one year between DA2 and DA:I, four years if you count from the end of Act 3.
Yeah, especially as the Qunari were invading Northern Thedas, 8 years is a long time and makes me wonder how much land may be taken by them?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
For sure. I think we definitely see something for Dragon age 4, Bioware is always at The Game Awards.
Fingers crossed! If there's any chance this game is an early 2023 title - or at least first half of 2023 - it's time for them to start spinning the marketing machine.

Can't wait.
Well, looks like we are waiting until next E3.

I'm not too disappointed tho. I appreciate that they came out and said that we have to wait until next year to see more. I prefer them communicating these stuff with us, rather then being radio silent and letting us hope that it might show up at x and y event.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Well, looks like we are waiting until next E3.

I'm not too disappointed tho. I appreciate that they came out and said that we have to wait until next year to see more. I prefer them communicating these stuff with us, rather then being radio silent and letting us hope that it might show up at x and y event.
Yeah, at least we can keep our expectations in check.

www.ea.com

The Flame Eternal

This is really interesting. I guess such a time leap could allow them more freedom to create whatever world state is necessary for the story.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I love these short stories. Also, it's rather interesting that both are about love in a dreadful, dark place. I suppose that's also a pillar of the Dragon Age franchise.

Nov 3, 2017
Really curious at the extent of the darkspawn incursions. I think we're close to BioWare revealing at something at least at 2022

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Really curious at the extent of the darkspawn incursions. I think we're close to BioWare revealing at something at least at 2022

Yeah it should be interesting for sure. I wouldn't think we get another Blight so soon, especially with the whole Solas situation unresolved or perhaps he causes the next one? Razikale was mentioned quite a bit in Inquisition so who knows, there are so many different directions Bioware can go with this...

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it should be interesting for sure. I wouldn't think we get another Blight so soon, especially with the whole Solas situation unresolved or perhaps he causes the next one? Razikale was mentioned quite a bit in Inquisition so who knows, there are so many different directions Bioware can go with this...
I've been thinking that maybe there will be a Blight in the middle of everything that is going on with Solas. Inquisition also had multiple simultaneous conflicts, and I think it worked wonderfully. The Grey Wardens have been prominently featured in the promotional art and trailer for Dragon Age 4 - and it's speculated that they're one of the factions the player character can originate from - but it also puts them in a place of importance we haven't seen since Origins - the last Blight.

Or maybe there won't be a true Blight, with an awaken archdemon, but something else controlling the horde. Maybe another old magister, like the Architect.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I've been thinking that maybe there will be a Blight in the middle of everything that is going on with Solas. Inquisition also had multiple simultaneous conflicts, and I think it worked wonderfully. The Grey Wardens have been prominently featured in the promotional art and trailer for Dragon Age 4 - and it's speculated that they're one of the factions the player character can originate from - but it also puts them in a place of importance we haven't seen since Origins - the last Blight.

Or maybe there won't be a true Blight, with an awaken archdemon, but something else controlling the horde. Maybe another old magister, like the Architect.
They have been hinting of the Grey Warden civil war for like 3 games now so it may just be that is going to be prominent? In saying that I do think the Old Gods/Blight are very much linked to the elhven gods so we may be exploring that. And if I remember correctly I think the first Grey Wardens actually did come from Tevinter

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They have been hinting of the Grey Warden civil war for like 3 games now so it may just be that is going to be prominent? In saying that I do think the Old Gods/Blight are very much linked to the elhven gods so we may be exploring that. And if I remember correctly I think the first Grey Wardens actually did come from Tevinter
That's a very good point, yeah. I think this game is trying to feel like there's trouble everywhere. At least that's the kind of feeling I got from the last CGI trailer and the way Varric lists all the things against which he's got your back. I felt that was kind of a hint about the future and not just looking back at what he's faced before.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

I think as the end game of the series we will have both Old Gods awaken. May as well go out with a bang and the fact there's two left and everything that's gone before makes me think we'll see both in play.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I think as the end game of the series we will have both Old Gods awaken. May as well go out with a bang and the fact there's two left and everything that's gone before makes me think we'll see both in play.
The end game of the series? What makes you think the next game is the end game of the series?

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the "civil war" end up being a big pile of nothing in Trespasser? The end of DAI hinted at something happening but Blackwell can join them and come back and tell you that everything is whatever?