• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

ENZGAy9.gif

This theme is just perfect.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I also took the opportunity of those Winter Steam sales in order to buy DAO and DLCs (Awakening included) as well as all DA2 DLCs (already had the base game), because I'm still holding onto the hope that I'll finally play both of them and not actively hate it.
I'll probably need to mod the shit out of it to make it a pleasant experience though. But yeah, I can't really wait for BioWare to make a remaster/remake of them both, probably gonna be ages before that happens (and probably not before DA4 gets released), so I'll just have to go through those and hope for the best.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I also took the opportunity of those Winter Steam sales in order to buy DAO and DLCs (Awakening included) as well as all DA2 DLCs (already had the base game), because I'm still holding onto the hope that I'll finally play both of them and not actively hate it.
I'll probably need to mod the shit out of it to make it a pleasant experience though. But yeah, I can't really wait for BioWare to make a remaster/remake of them both, probably gonna be ages before that happens (and probably not before DA4 gets released), so I'll just have to go through those and hope for the best.
Actually this makes me wonder how long it's taking them to remaster the ME triology? I imagine alot of the work is outsourced to not take away from the main BioWare projects? Just if we know how long that took we could maybe work out when they could release DA remaster because I'm assuming now EA is doing more remasters it would be the next logical step (and I really really want it, the lighting is really bad in DAO and DA2, and I have become too snobby now and find it hard to deal with :P) Also the noble clothing is truly bad, they look like court jesters.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I might be wrong, but I think the Mass Effect remasters were possible largely because all of them were made on the Unreal Engine. I suppose it's less of a hassle for them to move stuff from UE3 to UE4 and add new graphical features to the games. DAO and DA2 were both on BioWare's old ass Eclipse engine, which hasn't been updated since 2011, and barely worked with DirectX 11 back then. So they would need to go back to that engine and completely overhaul it to add all the things we'd expect from a current-gen game (which UE4 has but Eclipse does not). That sounds like a lot of work. Sadly, I don't see it happening, though I would absolutely love to see it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
photo_2021-01-07_00-06-46.jpg

Female Elf created. Now I just need to play 40-50 hours of Inquisition for the third time to get to Trespasser DLC.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I really hope Trevor Morris is back for the soundtrack of the next game. His work on Inquisition brought a much bigger identity to the series. Also, this is fire:

I have a feeling Inon Zur is actually composing (Dragon Age Origins)

This tweet might be referring to DA4 or something from Bethesda.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This will be me in about an hour. I actually started a file last night as a human (I've only ever finished as a dwarf) but figure for LORE reasons, an elf inky may be in order.
Nice.
I've been playing for half an hour and I had forgotten how fun the character interactions are. I really wish Inquisition wasn't so bloated. It could've been such a great game.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
photo_2021-01-07_00-06-46.jpg

Female Elf created. Now I just need to play 40-50 hours of Inquisition for the third time to get to Trespasser DLC.

You've done well with the customization tools, does she look good ingame as well?
I remember spending hours each time I'd create a new character, and feeling proud of it, only to be disappointed as soon as the opening cutscene would play out and I'd realize the animation looks weird on them. I still have beef with the DA:I character customization tool, tbh.

I have a feeling Inon Zur is actually composing (Dragon Age Origins)

This tweet might be referring to DA4 or something from Bethesda.

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss Trevor Morris a lot, if it turns out they're not handling DA4's OST.
But I'm also open to whatever Inon Zur will have to bring though.

I've been playing for half an hour and I had forgotten how fun the character interactions are. I really wish Inquisition wasn't so bloated. It could've been such a great game.

Please have the strength to persevere and go through the Hinterlands without giving the game up, you can do it!

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You're done well with the customization tools, does she look good ingame as well?
I remember spending hours each time I'd create a new character, and feeling proud of it, only to be disappointed as soon as the opening ctuscene would play out and I'd realize the animation looks weird on them. I still have beef with DA:I character customization tool, tbh.
Thank you.
I used this video as a reference with some small changes here and there. I like how she looks in the game thus far. The worst part has been the "worried/scared" animation. I don't think any of the characters that I've made in DAI have managed to pull off that expression without looking weird lol

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm BEGGING Bioware to rework their animations for DA4. someone on tumblr said Bioware's animations look like they did one one-hour mocap session in 2001 for KOTOR that cost $11 and they've used it for every single game since and like... yeah that tracks. they look sooooooo bad, and it's especially noticeable on Frostbite

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
On my very first playthrough, I spent a long time on the character creator tool, and felt quite proud of it, it felt good enough. That is, until I launched the game and saw her speak. Oh lord, why.

mK3V8HV.png

She looked fine while not speaking. (yes this is the moment when I turned Solas down and then proceeded to spend the rest of the game regretting it)
But then, as soon as she'd open her mouth, she'd look like this:
NPmcTWC.png

I cry, what is this, nooo!

On my 2nd playthrough, I paid extra attention to recreating my original Lavellan's face as closely as possible, while also fixing the mouth problems I'd encounter way too often.

gFtMnpm.jpg

HCQBPR1.jpg

And a comparison between the two of them:
R2dQmv3.jpg

As one can see, she's not that different from my 1st one, but the fixes I made worked wonders. Also, I made her look more angulous/defined and also stern-looking, and I love her better that way.

I also remember enjoying creating my human archer, even though I didn't play her much, as well as my SO's warrior!

9Y3fI6m.jpeg

Screenshot-Win32-0603-Final.png

Overall, once I got the hang of it, I really started to enjoy creating characters. But boy wasn't it easy at times, especially knowing I wasn't using any mods. Might cave in and use mods on my next playthrough though.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On my very first playthrough, I spent a long time on the character creator tool, and felt quite proud of it, it felt good enough. That is, until I launched the game and saw her speak. Oh lord, why.

mK3V8HV.png

She looked fine while not speaking. (yes this is the moment when I turned Solas down and then proceeded to spend the rest of the game regretting it)
NPmcTWC.png

On my 2nd playthrough, I paid extra attention to recreating my original Lavellan's face as closely as possible, while also fixing the mouth problems I'd encounter way too often.

gFtMnpm.jpg

HCQBPR1.jpg

R2dQmv3.jpg

As one can see, she's not that different from my 1st one, but the fixes I made worked wonders. Also, I made her look more angulous/defined and also stern-looking, and I love her better that way.

I also remember enjoying creating my human archer, even though I didn't play her much, as well as my SO's warrior!

9Y3fI6m.jpeg

Overall, once I got the hang of it, I really started to enjoy creating characters. But boy wasn't it easy at times, especially knowing I wasn't using any mods. Might cave in and use mods on my next playthrough though.
Mods for character creation are great and truly offer you a lot of options. The ones I'm using (list was posted here last week) are most parts of packages of cosmetic mods. For example, the hair texture they replace is the same (hair 52), so you just choose the one you want from a package of hair mods.

The best one is definitely the Enhanced Character Creator, used on top of texture mods. It adds a bunch of new options the original doesn't have, and so you can spend hours in there.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm BEGGING Bioware to rework their animations for DA4. someone on tumblr said Bioware's animations look like they did one one-hour mocap session in 2001 for KOTOR that cost $11 and they've used it for every single game since and like... yeah that tracks. they look sooooooo bad, and it's especially noticeable on Frostbite
tumblr_inline_o5cntnxI1e1r3u2af_540.gifv

Hopefully. :P

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They showed that they were using motion matching for DA4 in that dev diary style teaser that they released at Gamescom. So fingers crossed.

mK3V8HV.png

NPmcTWC.png

gFtMnpm.jpg

HCQBPR1.jpg

R2dQmv3.jpg

9Y3fI6m.jpeg

Your characters look really good! DAI has a fun CC, I just wish it was a bit more polished and had more options. I was looking at pics I had from my previous playthroughs, and I was reminded of how much I liked the character that I had created for my second playthrough,
Dragon_AgeTM__Inquisition_20170109065351.png

Mods for character creation are great and truly offer you a lot of options. The ones I'm using (list was posted here last week) are most parts of packages of cosmetic mods. For example, the hair texture they replace is the same (hair 52), so you just choose the one you want from a package of hair mods.

The best one is definitely the Enhanced Character Creator, used on top of texture mods. It adds a bunch of new options the original doesn't have, and so you can spend hours in there.
I wish we could use mods on consoles as well :(

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it'd be impossible to rework all the animations. They already said they have a library of those that constantly gets updated. Big, more obvious ones do change more often, but if it's just one scene using it, it's an unnecessary cost.

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
I fucking hate how everyone in DAI walks, or perhaps more accurately, stalks around, and with their shoulders all concave like they suffer from some bone disease.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
Doing a series replay, starting with DAO City Elf Rogue rampage. With the right light mods, the PC version holds up really well in the looks department!

Keen to eventually get through Awakening to Inquisition. I must admit I fell off the series over the years based on gameplay changes... Inquisition's banter bug was the final straw. But damn, is the lore and story still so good.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Doing a series replay, starting with DAO City Elf Rogue rampage. With the right light mods, the PC version holds up really well in the looks department!

Keen to eventually get through Awakening to Inquisition. I must admit I fell off the series over the years based on gameplay changes... Inquisition's banter bug was the final straw. But damn, is the lore and story still so good.

I am doing the same thing. I started DA:O with an Eleven Mage and I will be heading in to finish up Redcliffe today because I really want to unlock the Blood Mage specialization. I have also been watching a shit load of Dragon Age Lore videos to brush back up on the amazing lore this journey, it is going to take a while but I am looking forward to it...

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I am doing the same thing. I started DA:O with an Eleven Mage and I will be heading in to finish up Redcliffe today because I really want to unlock the Blood Mage specialization. I have also been watching a shit load of Dragon Age Lore videos to brush back up on the amazing lore this journey, it is going to take a while but I am looking forward to it...

Which ones are you watching? I'm watching the Ghil Dirthalen videos. Just curious to see if there's someone else I should also be watching.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I said this in the "do you play humans in fantasy games" thread but like... playing Origins and Inquisition as a non-human (especially an elf or qunari) is rly just getting fantasy slurs hurled at you for 100 hours lmao. call me vanilla or boring but I'm not interested in that. I love elves but always play humans :/

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I said this in the "do you play humans in fantasy games" thread but like... playing Origins and Inquisition as a non-human (especially an elf or qunari) is rly just getting fantasy slurs hurled at you for 100 hours lmao. call me vanilla or boring but I'm not interested in that. I love elves but always play humans :/
Honestly and I would imagine this is true of all marginalised communities tbh, to play a human character that is like you and is a power fantasy we're you don't get treated like trash is rare. Like how many games actually let me be a human woman (it's getting better but still not that equal)? And it's even worse if you are a PoC or LGBT. Playing a marginalised human that just gets to exist is a rare different experience, so I don't actually think it is that boring a choice at all. I still always pick f Cousland as my pick for DAO canon and will always have a soft spot for that reason.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly and I would imagine this is true of all marginalised communities tbh, to play a human character that is like you and is a power fantasy we're you don't get treated like trash is rare. Like how many games actually let me be a human woman (it's getting better but still not that equal)? And it's even worse if you are a PoC or LGBT. Playing a marginalised human that just gets to exist is a rare different experience, so I don't actually think it is that boring a choice at all. I still always pick f Cousland as my pick for DAO canon and will always have a soft spot for that reason.

yeah I totally get you. I always play a mage because. well. mages. I like being able to shoot fireballs out of my ass lmao. they get shit too but obviously human mages less of it (plus you can actively work to make shit better for them in a way you can't for elves as much)

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In all of my playthroughs, I think I've only ever had Loghain in Inquisition once.

I usually kill him off in Origins. :P

Oct 28, 2017
Loghain is a great character past the Landsmeet. He's just such an evil bastard before that it's hard not to go chop chop every time.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Loghain is a great character past the Landsmeet. He's just such an evil bastard before that it's hard not to go chop chop every time.
Yeah. I think I remember the writers saying it was purposely written where you can kill Loghain as your standard evil villain if you want.

I'd say he's my second-favorite antagonist after the Arishok. He used to be my favorite, but I startet putting the Arishok ahead due to better consistency. Loghain has issues with writing inconsistencies from the rewrites in Origins.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Usually, in games, I prefer to play humans too. Except if I can play elves, then I'd probably play elves (that's also majorly depending on their design, tbh).
And I'll also always play Mage/Wizard/Witch/Sorcerer/the-little-annoying-asshole-who-throws-powerful-fireballs-from-afar-but-also-dies-quick.

That been said, as a marginalized person who also does not enjoy discrimination in real life but has suffered and will keep on suffering through it in some way or another, I understand not having the time of day for suffering through that in a video game as well. When a video game allows me to play as a queer woman without making me feel like I'm an alien every three seconds, it is incredibly refreshing. But also, in the case of DA:I, I don't know, it also feels good to just be able to prove people wrong and beat them at their own shitty discriminatory game, and live out my power fantasy of the power imbalance being ever so slightly fixed thanks to my actions and existence.

Last edited:

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Usually, in games, I prefer to play humans too. Except if I can play elves, than I'd probably play elves (that's also majorly depending on their design, tbh).
And I'll also always play Mage/Wizard/Witch/Sorcerer/the-little-annoying-asshole-who-throws-powerful-fireball-from-afar-but-also-dies-quick.

That been said, as a marginalized person who also does not enjoy discrimination in real life but has suffered and will keep on suffering through it in some way or another, I understand not having the time of day for suffering through that in a video game as well. When a video game allows me to play as a queer woman without making me feel like I'm an alien every three seconds, it is incredibly refreshing. But also, in the case of DA:I, I don't know, it also feels good to just be able to prove people wrong and beat them at their own shitty discriminatory game, and live out my power fantasy of the power imbalance being ever so slightly fixed thanks to my actions and existence.
One game I thought did this really well was the original Mount & Blade, where playing a female character was genuinely harder because people thought less of you - but you could prove them wrong and skip one of the most annoying portions of the game by doing so. Plus it was a setting in the menu you could turn off. I'm kinda sad it's not back for the sequel.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Usually, in games, I prefer to play humans too. Except if I can play elves, then I'd probably play elves (that's also majorly depending on their design, tbh).
And I'll also always play Mage/Wizard/Witch/Sorcerer/the-little-annoying-asshole-who-throws-powerful-fireballs-from-afar-but-also-dies-quick.

That's pretty much the exact reason I like being an elf in DAI as well. Maybe it's cus you become Inquisitor very quickly? Cus even though you are a marginalised person in game, there really does feel like the power to change it and it feels nice. Especially when it's historically anit elf organisation like the Chantry, Leliana As Divine for the win.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
best world state is bhelen ruling orzammar, hardened alistair ruling ferelden, briala ruling orlais through gaspard and softened leliana as divine. no i don't take constructive criticism.