• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
At least he's not Bethany. I feel people don't even remember Bethany, despite showing up in two of the three possible class choices lol

I have a little sister so Bethany to me is like sad dad games that evoke parenting and parents are into it regardless of whether the subject matter is interesting. It was a sad big brother character for me, haha.

As for Sera, I loved her before, but after her VA went on to voice Y'shtola in FFXIV I can't help but feel even more strongly towards her character.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
To me a lot of his stuff with the Iron Bull is kinda the same as he is with the Inquisitor, it's the "you're one of the good ones" mentality that they are some how different and apart from the rest of their group. Part of it he does have to dehumanise these people if he is going to do what he does, but it's not just guilt causing it, Solas does have an underlining arrogance to him. He kinda reminds me of Morrigan in that way. He assumes that he knows everything and more than those around him. And like with Morrigan, I think he's going to be wrong. Like Morrigan acts like she is always right and has multiple times been wrong and misunderstood what's going on, and she has somewhat fallen flat on her face due to it but it kinda depends on your choices. I think similar thing will happen to Solas, that's he's going to be wrong, that he doesn't know everything and I actually suspect he's being manipulated or playing in to someone elses plan
I don't think Mythal is as goody two shoes as he says
. I think Morrigan still is young enough to learn from her mistakes and not think she knows everything. Solas? I suspect he's spent too much time thinking he's right to come round. I think if he was going to, that the closest he would get to it is during the Inquisition. That was he's big choice on how to proceed. And he has chosen his path and I think he will follow it until the bitter end. I don't think it's just happenstance that
his name Solas literally means pride. And according to Tevinter Nights it wasn't his first name, but a name he became. But I find it interesting that both the Qun and Spirits name beings after their jobs as it were and could go down a rabbithole with that alone

Welp, if your analysis turns out to be true, I guess I'll just
cry all the tears while stopping his awful plans and killing his stupid stubborn arrogant (but lovable) ass.

LnkNDOt.gif

Like I said, true Greek Tragedy material right there.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
He says insulting stuff about the Qunari before Trespasser. And about dwarfs. About all races really, but Qunari he's incredibly cruel about. It's how he views the races is why I don't trust his arrogance that he knows what the best choice for the future is, he "dehumanises" (maybe not the best word for lol) other races way too easily.
Indeed. I think his main problem with the Qun comes from how Solas values free thinking and freedom in general, which makes sense given what we learn in Trespasser. And the Qun, well... Freedom isn't really a word I'd use to describe anything about the Qun, no matter how The Iron Bull tells me otherwise.

I have a little sister so Bethany to me is like sad dad games that evoke parenting and parents are into it regardless of whether the subject matter is interesting. It was a sad big brother character for me, haha.
Yep, I have a little sister too, so I can relate. My main hero is always a mage, so I didn't fully know Bethany until my second playthrough as a Warrior, and I gotta say, I felt so so bad when I came back from the expedition and found out she was conscripted into the Circle. DA2 is such a sad story overall, that just made it worse..

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Welp, if your analysis turns out to be true, I guess I'll just
cry all the tears while stopping his awful plans and killing his stupid stubborn arrogant (but lovable) ass.

LnkNDOt.gif

Like I said, true Greek Tragedy material right there.
It's BioWare, you know no matter what it'll be heart wrenching. And I'll be there crying right by you, passing the tissues lol. I think I can handle it as long as they don't pull another Mordin.

Indeed. I think his main problem with the Qun comes from how Solas values free thinking and freedom in general, which makes sense given what we learn in Trespasser. And the Qun, well... Freedom isn't really a word I'd use to describe anything about the Qun, no matter how The Iron Bull tells me otherwise.
That as well but he also refers to them as animals at one point so there's something a bit more too it? I'm really hoping we find out more about the history of Qunari and humans origins in DA4, the lore is incredibly, and porb quite deliberatly, vague on it all.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That as well but he also refers to them as animals at one point so there's something a bit more too it? I'm really hoping we find out more about the history of Qunari and humans origins in DA4, the lore is incredibly, and porb quite deliberatly, vague on it all.
For sure. I think Inquisition is the game in which each answer bred even more questions. Since I'm avoiding doing Halamshiral while I read The Masked Empire, I decided to do The Descent instead, and remembered how that DLC alone seems to shake the entire lore to its core. I really, really hope DA4 elabores on that as well. Biggest takeaway I had from finding out the truth about lyrium is that
technically, every magic is blood magic. And Valta using magic after being hit with raw lyrium? Titans? Pure dwarfs?
It's a lot. It's a whole lot.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
i play every da game as a human mage which I know is boring but honestly playing Lavellan/Adaar at the winter palace gives me psychic damage lmao

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
It's BioWare, you know no matter what it'll be heart wrenching. And I'll be there crying right by you, passing the tissues lol. I think I can handle it as long as they don't pull another Mordin.

I sincerely honestly believe that not all hope is lost re: Solas though.
But maybe I'm just a delusional fool, only the future will tell us!

zLWOFbm.gif

Last edited:

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re Solas.

Solas doesn't view the Qunari or anyone else as sub-human because of what they did to him, or anyone else. He views all the current races as effectively the living dead. His actions split mortal races from their connection to the Fade, resulting in (as he sees it) a non-existence. He literally says, from his perspective everyone else in the world is already Tranquil. They aren't really alive to him fully
This reminds me, DA needs a word for humanoid. PoE used kith, which is pretty good

Mar 9, 2018
Today's the day, thread where 85% of people are attracted to Solas! TODAY WE FEAST! Maybe. And if it's just more of a snack, that's OK, too.

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
Any ETA on the new DA?

EA earnings calls said not to expect it until after fiscal year 2022 so anytime after April 2022. Though I would honestly expect Fall 2022 at the earliest.

Today's the day, thread where 85% of people are attracted to Solas! TODAY WE FEAST! Maybe. And if it's just more of a snack, that's OK, too.

I'll be okay with just a little nibble of Solas ;)))))) lol

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
i'm a lesbian but like. alistair is hot. dorian is hot. nathaniel is hot. fenris has a rancid personality, but mod him right and he's hot. blackwall is hot in a daddy kind of way. solas tho...........i respect u solasmancers but i do not get u at all

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
THIS. I love Sera so much. Actually DAI might have my fav companions of any BioWare game. The only thing I would disagree with is the idea tha most BioWare romances don't have drama, all my canon ones has so. much. drama to work through. But then I romance Alistaiir in DAO and I died do he wouldn't, romance Anders in DA2, Solas in DAI and Malavai Quinn in SWTOR, Carth in KOTOR. My least dramatic romance in a BioWare game was Kaidan and we had an entire game where we were broken up on on a break. Basically what I'm saying is whoever I pick to romance in DA4, if you want a nice drama free romance, don't pick that person. I apparently have terrible judgement

Oh you're right, those all do involve some pretty dramatic elements. Carth especially had a lot of conflicts with working past his trust issues. Sera just struck me so specifically since I think she's coded as a bit neurodivergent and it felt so much more about being supportive and understanding of the other person than just being generically 'nice'. It's a very 'low' kind of drama rather than huge sweeping stakes and that appealed to me a lot.

I also prefer the more complicated romances haha

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
i'm a lesbian but like. alistair is hot. dorian is hot. nathaniel is hot. fenris has a rancid personality, but mod him right and he's hot. blackwall is hot in a daddy kind of way. solas tho...........i respect u solasmancers but i do not get u at all

But he's got a ~great~ personality in a "#damaged and i'm gonna end the world" kind of way. Guys like that are not my bag in real life, but boy oh boy do I love the mess my poor Inquisitor is in lol.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Re Solas.

Solas doesn't view the Qunari or anyone else as sub-human because of what they did to him, or anyone else. He views all the current races as effectively the living dead. His actions split mortal races from their connection to the Fade, resulting in (as he sees it) a non-existence. He literally says, from his perspective everyone else in the world is already Tranquil. They aren't really alive to him fully
Dang, now that you reminded me of his motivations, Solas has quite a bit in common with a certain villain from Final Fantasy XIV. Both are written very well and view most of the living populous as...well, technically not alive. And I want to kick both in the butt lol. Oh, and if I can, I'll probably roll a Qunari again in DA4.

I wonder if we'll get a pre-rendered something from TGA today...

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
But he's got a ~great~ personality in a "#damaged and i'm gonna end the world" kind of way. Guys like that are not my bag in real life, but boy oh boy do I love the mess my poor Inquisitor is in lol.
I like living out my bad choices in video games so I don't repeat them in real life. Honestly both Anders and Solas would be gaslighting manipulators in real life teritory. Fun to have as a virtual romance, terrfying in real life

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, now that you reminded me of his motivations, Solas has quite a bit in common with a certain villain from Final Fantasy XIV. Both are written very well and view most of the living populous as...well, technically not alive. And I want to kick both in the butt lol. Oh, and if I can, I'll probably roll a Qunari again in DA4.

I wonder if we'll get a pre-rendered something from TGA today...

I know exactly who you're referring to and let me just say that when I saw that character in FFXIV I couldn't stop drawing comparisons between the two implementations of a very similar motivation since I had played DA:I first.

I like living out my bad choices in video games so I don't repeat them in real life. Honestly both Anders and Solas would be gaslighting manipulators in real life teritory. Fun to have as a virtual romance, terrfying in real life

Yeah that's where I'm at too lol

in a live action adaptation he would be played by benedict cumberbatch in a bald wig

Impossible since Solas kicks Cumberbatch's ass in the lips department 👄

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I went Googling for DAI shiny beards and found this

14f0f2145783c154c33c1b7badba0369.png

Had to share the curse of a beardless Blackwall with you all u welcome

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be fucking furious if this game doesn't use new Frostbite hair tech.
It would be one hell of a missed opportunity for Dragon Age to finally have hair that goes beyond the shoulders. But given how this game is so far out and even FIFA 21 already has this implemented, I have hopes that it's going to be in Dragon Age too.
Sorry wasn't being clear. Was asking about the new DA title/news
We're getting an "early look" today at The Game Awards. What it's going to be, however, is anyone's guess.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to give Inquisition another play to refresh myself. It's been a few years since I touched it. IIRC my first playthrough was a dagger dwarf tempest, then a human knight enchanter and then a bow tempest, I think an elf. The playthrough I dropped was a 2h templar, which I found pretty boring, but IIRC i was choosing a build bound to be sort of boring.

I recall rift mage being pretty fun. I played around with some assassin in some modded save files so that's an option, too. IIRC bow assassin was completely broken.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

He kinda fit my type for men, if I have to be honest. Nerdy, intelligent, passionate, kind, compassionate, sensitive, a good listener. I like the flower boy type, and he kinda fits the bill in a way, not displaying traditional signs of masculinity. In terms of body-type as well, right up my alley, sorry but buffed bearded guys have never done anything for me. Also, this :

mN1sgQ2.gif

STILL, honestly I was surprised I fell for him at first, truly. He's not bad-looking, but he's not exactly good-looking either, he's an acquired taste I guess, and when I started to interact with him, I initially thought nothing of him much (heck, I was already romancing Sera then, she was the one having all of my attention at the time), until I found him more and more fascinating and I realized I just enjoyed all of my interactions with him, by then it was too late for me, I was deep in Solavellan hell. The sad puppy eyes got me deep.

Some people just grow on you while you never expect them to, and he has THAT power.

I also prefer the more complicated romances haha

You and me both! I couldn't stay with Sera and that broke my heart a bit, but I feel like she's one of those romances that feels "earned" in a way, and real? I tried the Josephine romance just after, and it bored me to death. Just like I tried the Cullen romance on my 3rd playthrough just after having my heart broken by Solas (2nd playthrough, after romancing Sera & Jo on my 1st one), and holy hell was I bored out of my skull, could never finish that playthrough, yikes!
I'm here for the drama, please stomp on my heart, thanks!

in a live action adaptation he would be played by benedict cumberbatch in a bald wig

AI0pV3F.png

Last edited:

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I went Googling for DAI shiny beards and found this

14f0f2145783c154c33c1b7badba0369.png

Had to share the curse of a beardless Blackwall with you all u welcome
Is this one of those weird mods that no one really asked for, like the one that turns Vivienne into a blue-eyed white woman (I believe there was a similar one for Isabella in DA2, as well)?