• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
In this house, we stan Strife, he's a good one, hope he'll make an appearance in DA4!
The fact he's in both Tevinter Nights and in the short story they released today really makes me think they will! Just like I think the crow cousin guy will appear. I agree, Strife is awesome and I want more. Do you think possible companion?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm delighted to see Greg Ellis FINALLY getting dragged by BioWare. It's been a long time coming. Also please no Cullen in DA4. Society has progressed past the need for Cullen. I hate him so much lmao

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
Cullen's story seemed pretty buttoned up in DA:I so he was never someone I saw as coming back in DA4. He could easily be substituted with another character, especially now with all of this happening.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Cullen's story seemed pretty buttoned up in DA:I so he was never someone I saw as coming back in DA4. He could easily be substituted with another character, especially now with all of this happening.
Yeah, he can either be dead or retired. I like how Cullen's arc with his trauma and addiction evolved and ended, I don't think he needs more

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm delighted to see Greg Ellis FINALLY getting dragged by BioWare. It's been a long time coming. Also please no Cullen in DA4. Society has progressed past the need for Cullen. I hate him so much lmao
Right?
I hated him in Origins and 2, then they made him more tolerable in Inquisition with all that "I wasn't good company back then" talk. I still talked the motherfucker down like nobody's business lmao
Templar/Chantry supremacist can die in a ditch for all I care.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cullen's story is pretty wrapped up at the end of Inquisition, even more so if the Inquisitor ends up with him.

I doubt we'll see him in 4, though it would be the first DA game to not have Cullen in it.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
The fact he's in both Tevinter Nights and in the short story they released today really makes me think they will! Just like I think the crow cousin guy will appear. I agree, Strife is awesome and I want more. Do you think possible companion?

I think he then might have very high chances to become a companion indeed! Not like he'll be able to make me forget Solas (sobs) but he can definitely try!

Finally something we both agree on, we shall bond over our common intense distaste of Cullen, yes!

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age 4 is not only experiencing a healthy development and will reach its release with no further complications, it will be a fun hack 'n slash romp and a fantastic conclusion to the Solas plot line and will more or less offer a satisfying book end to the series as a whole with reveals about the nature of the Darkspawn, Fade, the old/elven gods, and the Qunari that will answer all of our questions over the years.

....or it will be none of that. *shrug*

Listen, there's no harm in dreaming, ok?
But... I don't want a hack and slash?

I just want a tactics heavy party based RPG with tons of character interactions, branching storylines/ character outcomes, and tons of more good lore. Or, basically just do what Trespasser was on a bigger scale/budget, which was basically like Origins in terms of structure.

That's just a huge part of the problem with DA- every game has kind of been so different from the last that its hard to pin down where BioWare might go with it. Especially in light of how tumultuous the personnel/ leadership situation looks right now. We already know they had something brewing that was cancelled when Laidlaw left and who knows whatever DA4 looks like now and how it might change yet again with Darrah gone.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Honestly, I kinda liked how they showed his growth throughout the series, like he was an example of how templars can be good people and can break their addiction.

But good god was he boring. And tumblr was just fucking nuts over him for no goddamn reason.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
EA has officially said the short stories will help paint the future of Dragon Age, as well as some insight into the TGA reveal, so I think the characters in these short stories are at least prominent parts of the plot. I noticed all of them had a very strong focus on a specific character, so I have a strong feeling they're companions.

Also, kind of indicates the reveal is going to mostly feature the plot, which is always a good thing.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
EA has officially said the short stories will help paint the future of Dragon Age, as well as some insight into the TGA reveal, so I think the characters in these short stories are likely to be companions or at least prominent parts of the plot. I noticed all of them had a very strong focus on a specific character, so I have a strong feeling they're companions.

Also, kind of indicates the reveal is going to mostly feature the plot, which is always a good thing.
Yeah they confirmed it wouldn't be a behind the scenes. Think we might get a proper title?

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
EA has officially said the short stories will help paint the future of Dragon Age, as well as some insight into the TGA reveal, so I think the characters in these short stories are at least prominent parts of the plot. I noticed all of them had a very strong focus on a specific character, so I have a strong feeling they're companions.

Nice. I liked the Minrathous Shadows story. Interested to see where that goes.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they confirmed it wouldn't be a behind the scenes. Think we might get a proper title?
Hopefully, I believe at this point they must have settled on a title. They're already recording voice acting, so that at least indicates the story is already a lock.
Nice. I liked the Minrathous Shadows story. Interested to see where that goes.
I think they were all great, but that one was a highlight for me.
If I had to bet, I'd say Tarquin, Teia, Evka and Strife are all companions.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Hopefully, I believe at this point they must have settled on a title. They're already recording voice acting, so that at least indicates the story is already a lock.

I think they were all great, but that one was a highlight for me.
If I had to bet, I'd say Tarquin, Teia, Evka and Strife are all companions.
funny, out of the crows I thought it would be illario, mainly because he's in a down place and has the most to grow. I think Teia most likely to be a major NPC, she seems too high up in the crows to be a constant companion

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
funny, out of the crows I thought it would be illario, mainly because he's in a down place and has the most to grow. I think Teia most likely to be a major NPC, she seems too high up in the crows to be a constant companion
That's a good point. Deep inside I just hope she is a companion, though. She just looks so cool lol

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this thread for this:

Looks like we're actually about to see in-game footage.

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
i'm so excited!!!! 0: there's just something about dragon age that gets me excited like no other game series can. i've definitely felt a void in the time since DA:I. the comics/books have helped for sure, but i can't wait to see something of DA4 after all this time. a title too, i'm guessing!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of have this feeling that this game might be further along than we expect. I wouldn't be too shocked if this game turned out to be a late 2021/early 2022 game.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I kind of have this feeling that this game might be further along than we expect. I wouldn't be too shocked if this game turned out to be a late 2021/early 2022 game.
I'm thinking late 2022 myself but I defo don't think it's the three years some are saying. In saying that most of their major marketing starts about a year or a year and a half in advance, and this feels like the start of it. It's not like they had to show Dragon Age either, they could have shown the Mass Effect remaster instead

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know Ellis was so insufferable until that Mark Darrah response tweet.

Wasn't there an EA exec that said to not expect DA4 until after 2022 fiscal year (so after March 2022)?

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017

During an EA earnings call they said the game likely wouldn't come out until after fiscal 2022 so I was thinking fall of that year. Like rras1994 said, I'm expecting this TGA stuff to be the kick-off of their marketing, and throughout 2021 we get some more info here and there. When DA:I was in the lead up to coming out they did a lot character profiles for the different companions and I remember they had some YouTubers play a section in the Emerald Graves. I foresee that happening later, but I'm excited to see some information trickle out more consistently.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Ellis was so insufferable until that Mark Darrah response tweet.

Wasn't there an EA exec that said to not expect DA4 until after 2022 fiscal year (so after March 2022)?
During an EA earnings call they said the game likely wouldn't come out until after fiscal 2022 so I was thinking fall of that year. Like rras1994 said, I'm expecting this TGA stuff to be the kick-off of their marketing, and throughout 2021 we get some more info here and there. When DA:I was in the lead up to coming out they did a lot character profiles for the different companions and I remember they had some YouTubers play a section in the Emerald Graves. I foresee that happening later, but I'm exciting to see some information trickle out more consistently.
Yeah, I had the earnings call date in mind when I said it might be further along than we expect (because we expect it after March 2022). I mean, things could change. It's just a feeling, though, of course.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not sure, I'm thinking 2022 with a probable chance of it being delayed into 2023.
It very much depends on what the pandemic does to their development schedule. In saying that I'm not sure there's been many games or dlc or stuff from EA that has been delayed, they seem to have taken the move to working from home as a publisher pretty well

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had the earnings call date in mind when I said it might be further along than we expect (because we expect it after March 2022). I mean, things could change. It's just a feeling, though, of course.

Lol trust me I would love for it to be sooner rather than later. Straight into my veins. I would love for them to maybe release another series of comics or something too since it was nice to have those to look forward to to sate my need for DA-related lore.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I will temper my expectations in case we get another "exciting trailer" like last time.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Lol trust me I would love for it to be sooner rather than later. Straight into my veins. I would love for them to maybe release another series of comics or something too since it was nice to have those to look forward to to sate my need for DA-related lore.
Yeah, I'd love that too. I'm thinking about reading the other books (only read Tevinter Nights), but they're not bridging the gap between Inquisition and DA4, so I feel that won't be as fulfilling.

At this point, even if they don't show much Thursday, I'm just glad to see anything. I wasn't expecting them to show the game this year at all.

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd love that too. I'm thinking about reading the other books (only read Tevinter Nights), but they're not bridging the gap between Inquisition and DA4, so I feel that won't be as fulfilling.

At this point, even if they don't show much Thursday, I'm just glad to see anything. I wasn't expecting them to show the game this year at all.

I definitely recommend reading the other books - at the very least Asunder, The Masked Empire, and The Last Flight. Asunder and The Masked Empire add some nice flavor to the world even though those are pre/leading up to the events of Inquisition. I do highly recommend The Last Flight, though. It splits it's focus between 9:41-9:42 with a group of Grey Warden recruits at Weisshaupt (with a really cool lore discovery at the end!) and a group during the Exalted age during the Fourth Blight. It was really good, I loved it. You get to understand how brutal the blights are and the toll of the blight on Grey Wardens.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Read the Last Flight, it happens during Inquisition and there's some stuff in it that will affect future games (I love asunder and the masked empire too - masked empire kinda has some interesting stuff at the end with insight into Solas character when he's against you - but honestly they'll just syke you up for another Inquisition playthrough :p )

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Read the Last Flight, it happens during Inquisition and there's some stuff in it that will affect future games (I love asunder and the masked empire too - masked empire kinda has some interesting stuff at the end with insight into Solas character when he's against you - but honestly they'll just syke you up for another Inquisition playthrough :p )
I might go for The Masked Empire first then and then read Last Flight. I'm already doing an Inquisition playthrough anyways, so I might as well get that out of the way first lol

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I might go for The Masked Empire first then and then read Last Flight. I'm already doing an Inquisition playthrough anyways, so I might as well get that out of the way first lol
Try to read The Masked Empire before you do the Halamshiral ball, to me it give me a complete new insight into the characters and changed what I considered the "best" options for it.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

QIFghty5DsU74B1pez98NtNK09YJt9AenYqevRMLb8VwAuOgaEVSf-Yes-YvIjAg0QmfK4BCB7Yvi23tXy8gz5vTVcMUvwiYE3PYMPoER3QxRD69EIGOyuwexjPzJUYuLa0O=w220-h220

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Try to read The Masked Empire before you do the Halamshiral ball, to me it give me a complete new insight into the characters and changed what I considered the "best" options for it.

Yeah, that definitely changes the context of the ball a good chunk - though it depends on your 'read' of the characters involved as to what then becomes the optimal outcome.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that definitely changes the context of the ball a good chunk - though it depends on your 'read' of the characters involved as to what then becomes the optimal outcome.
I have just finished Adamant Fortress, so I will put my playthrough on hold until I finish reading TME then. Thanks for the tip!.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
The Masked Empire was definitely a great read for me, I enjoyed every bit of it.
It didn't change my best outcome for the Halamshiral ball though, but that's just me. I know it did for others.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The masked Empire just made me dislike all of them at the ball. There's no real good choice because all three of the players are terrible, horrible people. So i stick with empress + lover joint ruling as it's the best chance anyone has.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
The masked Empire just made me dislike all of them at the ball. There's no real good choice because all three of the players are terrible, horrible people. So i stick with empress + lover joint ruling as it's the best chance anyone has.

I tend to believe the same as you do indeed. I stick to Celeste + Briala. I know both of them can be horrible people, so they kinda deserve each other, but I still prefer the both of them over Gaspard, without a doubt. Some might not like it that way, because of Celeste's abusive behavior, which I understand as well.

Last edited: