• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Just watched the last Summerfall stream, so again here's some tidbits that stood out to me:

-There were some things David Gaider had planned for the future of Dragon Age that horrified Patrick Weekes and they might not happen now (00:52:00)
-Sandal wasn't planned to be anything important or special but they made him into a bigger thing after they saw the fan speculation (00:54:22)
-Before the game was called Dragon Age the Archdemons were not supposed to be dragons but something closer to illithids (01:16:45)
-Ostagar wasn't supposed to be an intact fortress, which is why it wasn't used in the battle. The map ended up being three times bigger than anticipated and they had to fill it with content. (02:04:22 - 02:07:20)
-The prologue (meaning Ostagar, not all the origins) was written completely by David Gaider (02:05:29)

Also, this is probably nothing but David talks a bit about Solas at 00:44:24 and how he was planned to be "the Big Bad". It almost sounds like he means the Big Bad of the whole franchise but I'm probably reading into it.

This blog did a much more in depth transcript again:
https://felassan.tumblr.com/post/63...on-age-development-insights-from-david-gaider

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
Just watched the last Summerfall stream, so again here's some tidbits that stood out to me:

-There were some things David Gaider had planned for the future of Dragon Age that horrified Patrick Weekes and they might not happen now (00:52:00)
-Sandal wasn't planned to be anything important or special but they made him into a bigger thing after they saw the fan speculation (00:54:22)
-Before the game was called Dragon Age the Archdemons were not supposed to be dragons but something closer to illithids (01:16:45)
-Ostagar wasn't supposed to be an intact fortress, which is why it wasn't used in the battle. The map ended up being three times bigger than anticipated and they had to fill it with content. (02:04:22 - 02:07:20)
-The prologue (meaning Ostagar, not all the origins) was written completely by David Gaider (02:05:29)

Also, this is probably nothing but David talks a bit about Solas at 00:44:24 and how he was planned to be "the Big Bad". It almost sounds like he means the Big Bad of the whole franchise but I'm probably reading into it.

This blog did a much more in depth transcript again:
https://felassan.tumblr.com/post/63...on-age-development-insights-from-david-gaider

The stuff about Ostagar is awesome to know about.

I did Always wonder why Cailan fought the horde that way, makes sense if the Castle was originally going to be Greek.

Mar 9, 2018
Interesting, always like hearing about this. They're such big games with such a rich world and characters, and the creative process can be so messy, interesting to learn how things developed. The human commoner origin sounds not so good I think.

From the Felassan Tumblr:
There was a lot of conflict because 'fantasy' conjures so many different things for different people. So they talked a lot about how "blood" would be a theme. DG would be like "How can 'blood' be a theme?" and they would be insistent. They said the Wardens weren't "dripping in blood" and tried to get the Wardens' name changed. Other Warden name candidates were the Blood Knight Brotherhood, the Lords of War and the Disciples of Pain. These names were thought to "drip with blood". They put it to a vote, those 3 names between them got like 2 votes, and everyone else voted for the Wardens.

Disciples of Pain. I lol'd.
Imagine all the times Grey Warden has been used in conversation replaced with that.

"FOR THE DISCIPLES OF PAIN!"

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Blood as a theme is really funny, and it speaks to how edgy the higher-ups wanted Dragon Age to be even during development, it wasn't just a marketing thing. Definitely puts trailers like this one into context. Kinda interesting how even though Dragon Age moved away from the "dripping with blood" aesthetic with Inquisition, that old directive still has a lasting impact on the franchise because of how David Gaider incorporated the "theme" of blood into the lore with things like darkspawn blood, dragon blood and blood magic.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The BioWare book is out and I can confirm that the below is accurate as Amazon delivered mine early too:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly are The Evil Gods? I think this is the first time I've heard of this in Dragon Age.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
What exactly are The Evil Gods? I think this is the first time I've heard of this in Dragon Age.
Probably the Evanuris as Solas alluded to in Trespasser. I'm getting serious Horrors of Hormak vibes from the pic, you'll notice the monster is actually coming out of water, probably something to do with Ghilain'nain.

There's also a concept art that mentions the Deep Roads - "The Deep Roads teem with evils both new and old, known and unknowable" Old Gods? Titans?

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
EgsQVLwWoAAuUWj.jpg

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the Evanuris as Solas alluded to in Trespasser. I'm getting serious Horrors of Hormak vibes from the pic, you'll notice the monster is actually coming out of water, probably something to do with Ghilain'nain.

There's also a concept art that mentions the Deep Roads - "The Deep Roads teem with evils both new and old, known and unknowable" Old Gods? Titans?
Maybe the remaining Old Gods or the Forgotten Ones? Could also be another faction or the Maker (personally would like to see some ballance after what the Elves went through past game).
Yeah, I figured it could be those, though it's interesting that BioWare seems to be giving them a brand new title. I suppose this is how people will start calling them, I suppose they could be a lot more present rather than a force working behind the scenes like Corypheus.

This does look like something that could be from the Horrors of Hormak, though Dragon Age does have giant sea creatures, so it could be something like that too (or maybe the giant sea creatures are creations from Ghilan'nain, who knows at this point lol). Either way, I'm so happy to see this. Slaying dragons in Inquisition was one of its best parts, so I'd love to have some optional monsters to slay in the next game as well.
Seems to be a trend with BioWare games now too, as ME Andromeda also had the Architects.

EDIT: Yeah, giant sea creatures are her creations, indeed:

Ghilan'nain kept herself apart from the People. She used her power to create animals none had ever seen. The skies teemed with her monsters, the land with her beasts. Andruil hunted them all, and after a year of killing, approached Ghilan'nain with an offer: the gods would share their power with Ghilan'nain, but only if she destroyed her creations, for they were too untamed to remain among the People. Ghilan'nain agreed and asked for three days to undo what she had made.

On the first day she struck down the monsters of the air, except those she presented to Andruil as a gift.

On the second day she drowned the giants of the sea, except those in deep waters, for they were too well-wrought, and Pride stopped her hand.

On the third day she killed the beasts of the land, except the halla, whose grace she loved above all else.

This is how Ghilan'nain was made youngest of the gods.

—Story of the elven god Ghilan'nain, author unknown

So... Pride - with a capital P - stopped her hand. I guess Solas is going to use them as weapons?

Last edited:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I figured it could be those, though it's interesting that BioWare seems to be giving them a brand new title. I suppose this is how people will start calling them, I suppose they could be a lot more present rather than a force working behind the scenes like Corypheus.

This does look like something that could be from the Horrors of Hormak, though Dragon Age does have giant sea creatures, so it could be something like that too (or maybe the giant sea creatures are creations from Ghilan'nain, who knows at this point lol). Either way, I'm so happy to see this. Slaying dragons in Inquisition was one of its best parts, so I'd love to have some optional monsters to slay in the next game as well.
Seems to be a trend with BioWare games now too, as ME Andromeda also had the Architects.
This is a codex entry of how Ghilain'nain ascended to Godhood:
Ghilan'nain kept herself apart from the People. She used her power to create animals none had ever seen. The skies teemed with her monsters, the land with her beasts. Andruil hunted them all, and after a year of killing, approached Ghilan'nain with an offer: the gods would share their power with Ghilan'nain, but only if she destroyed her creations, for they were too untamed to remain among the People. Ghilan'nain agreed and asked for three days to undo what she had made.

On the first day she struck down the monsters of the air, except those she presented to Andruil as a gift.

On the second day she drowned the giants of the sea, except those in deep waters, for they were too well-wrought, and Pride stopped her hand.

On the third day she killed the beasts of the land, except the halla, whose grace she loved above all else.

This is how Ghilan'nain was made youngest of the gods

And it capitalises the Pride like a name and Solas means Pride in elhven.....

I also think they deliberately called them Evil Gods in the book cus they don't want to currently reveal what faction they are? Maybe this will be the game where they show the Evanuris and Old Gods are linked? I do have the theory they are the same.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This is a codex entry of how Ghilain'nain ascended to Godhood:

And it capitalises the Pride like a name and Solas means Pride in elhven.....
Yep, I was just editing my post when you replied haha
This is all very interesting. The Dragon Age lore gets even better the more you immerse yourself in it. The next game is shaping up quite nicely, plot-wise.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
man I still can't decide on my canon Inquisitor. I like my Trevelyan best but idk. playing as a human in Dragon Age feels so... vanilla lol. I'm playing Adaar atm but I can't get into her the same :/

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Inquisition really wants you to be an elf.

lmao I hate playing Lavellan because the whole game shits on your culture & religion (haha your gods are fake!! Loser) and putting a Jewish/Romani/Native-coded character at the figurehead of a fantasy-Christian organisation that decimated your culture as a kind of messiah figure is.....................OOF. It's confirmed that the Inquisitor was initially supposed to be human-only like Hawke and they only added the other races later, and you can tell.

Oct 26, 2017
lmao I hate playing Lavellan because the whole game shits on your culture & religion (haha your gods are fake!! Loser) and putting a Jewish/Romani/Native-coded character at the figurehead of a fantasy-Christian organisation that decimated your culture as a kind of messiah figure is.....................OOF. It's confirmed that the Inquisitor was initially supposed to be human-only like Hawke and they only added the other races later, and you can tell.

Personally the human character feels the most detached from the story for me.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Personally the human character feels the most detached from the story for me.

I absolutely agree here. The human Inquisitor definitely feels the least interesting to me, by far.
The most interesting Inquisitor being a female Lavellan romancing Solas, without a doubt.
Which works for me, I really wanted to play a female Elf. And I ended up falling for Solas despite aiming for Sera & Josephine first. I just couldn't escape his pull. And gods did it make the whole game even better for it. Brilliant writing all around.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely agree here. The human Inquisitor definitely feels the least interesting to me, by far.
The most interesting Inquisitor being a female Lavellan romancing Solas, without a doubt.
Which works for me, I really wanted to play a female Elf. And I ended up falling for Solas despite aiming for Sera & Josephine first. I just couldn't escape his pull. And gods did it make the whole game even better for it. Brilliant writing all around.

I wish I could relate lmao...........I hate him sm rip. Blackwall tho... i'm a lesbian but thats A Man

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
There's also something about being a non-human inquisitor, especially where you end of with Leliana as Divine, where it's like an f-you to the normal Orlesian Chantry which has treated all non-humans as second class , I quite like an elf as the first inquisitor was also an elf and they were also fundamental in starting the Chantry to begin with, the idea that it's humans only is a revision that needs swept away. No more cutting elves ears off murals so to speak. Even as a Dalish I like them honouring their past and showing elves contributions to Thedas.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I always enjoyed the apparent heresy of having an "offensive" character as the Inquisitor. Any character that isn't human or is a mage, it sets such a disruptive precedent, lore-wise. Specially because the game gives you freedom to treat the Inquisition as nothing but a military force with no "divine quest" and to have complete disdain towards the Chantry. As someone who always plays a human mage first and foremost, being able to not give two shits about Andraste in this game was really refreshing.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
There's also something about being a non-human inquisitor, especially where you end of with Leliana as Divine, where it's like an f-you to the normal Orlesian Chantry which has treated all non-humans as second class , I quite like an elf as the first inquisitor was also an elf and they were also fundamental in starting the Chantry to begin with, the idea that it's humans only is a revision that needs swept away. No more cutting elves ears off murals so to speak. Even as a Dalish I like them honouring their past and showing elves contributions to Thedas.

Yes, ABSOLUTELY! I liked being the underdog nobody wants nor respects, and then become THAT BITCH™ where I do what I want, shape things in a way that are meant to be progressive enough to initiate meaningful long-term changes for people who have been treated as second-class all their lives, and make haters seethe at it all in silence cause they know they don't have the power to do anything about it. It's pretty satisfying, not gonna lie.

Mar 9, 2018
So Solas will unleash the evil gods on Thedas? Or the evil gods break free because of Solas' dumb sh*t behavior and also oppose him? They can't be happy with him for sealing them away in the first place. But I imagine they support his goals of tearing down the veil while being against him specifically, sort of like Never Trump Republicans.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018

EDIT: Yeah, giant sea creatures are her creations, indeed:

So... Pride - with a capital P - stopped her hand. I guess Solas is going to use them as weapons?
Yeh the dragon fights and architects were awesome, hope that this big boss is also a fight or one of the world bosses

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that Bioware book was even a thing, is it worth getting?
I just got mine in the mail today. It's excellent. It's basically a complete retrospective of the company, along with smaller sections for each game, including Agent, which was cancelled. There's all kinds of crazy little trivia facts sprinkled throughout, too. Like the fact that Knights of the Old Republic's E3 demo was actually a prototype made in MDK2.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
I just got mine in the mail today. It's excellent. It's basically a complete retrospective of the company, along with smaller sections for each game, including Agent, which was cancelled. There's all kinds of crazy little trivia facts sprinkled throughout, too. Like the fact that Knights of the Old Republic's E3 demo was actually a prototype made in MDK2.
Awesome, thanks!

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking a out trying to play inquisition for the fourth time. But I fall off because of how bad the combat is every time. Are there any good mods for DAI that actually fix the combat?

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
So everyone knows that Thedas stands for The Dragon Age Setting but if I'm understanding this correctly it was some rando on the BSN who actually coined it???

That's so funny to me. Idk if this is common knowledge but I've never seen anyone mention it. If it's not known who it was it's probably impossible to find out now sadly since I believe the BSN was only partly archived.

Full transcript on this blog as always. This stream was more informative than the last few imo so I'd say it's worth reading. The only other thing I want to highlight is this funny story David Gaider tells about the credits song I Am The One (he actually tells it about Leliana's Song but corrects himself later, at 30:00):

They also said they're going to upload the VODs to youtube so I guess I can stop downloading them lol. Unfortunately they don't have the BG2 VODs which really sucks.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I will never not be impressed by how the Solas twist was planned since Origins. I love reading behind the scenes stuff about these games, Inquisition specially, since it's my favorite.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Getting excited about DA4 was all a big mistake... Getting Isabella on that art getting me all hopefull for the future I should had knew shit was coming.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not ready to doom and gloom just yet. I'm worried, sure, but... All the creative leads are still there.

Mar 9, 2018
I have seen the throne of the Gods. And it was EMPTY.

anditwasemptye2k0g.png

Actually, I don't know the consequences of this but I wanted to post that image anyway.

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
All we can do is wait and see. Darrah definitely did a lot of work to help get games out the door and that's what makes me the most nervous out of all of the news. Not the best feeling going into DA day tomorrow, but I'm hoping games like DA4 which have been in development for a while won't be wildly affected..but who knows.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
With the news of Darrah leaving Bioware today is a sad day for DA :(

Darrah is one reason I still have hope for DA4.

D':

All we can do is wait and see. Darrah definitely did a lot of work to help get games out the door and that's what makes me the most nervous out of all of the news. Not the best feeling going into DA day tomorrow, but I'm hoping games like DA4 which have been in development for a while won't be wildly affected..but who knows.

I would be less worried if DA4 is 2021 title...

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
I would be less worried if DA4 is 2021 title...

Yeah that's fair, part of me feels the same way along with the fact that both of them left at the same time. I'm just trying not to despair since games are made by so many people. At least we won't have to wait long for some new game info, because of tomorrow and all. I think the fact that we still don't know too much about their vision for the game makes it easy to fall into a rabbit hole of drawing conclusions.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
My worry isn't that the team is actually in trouble; Mark Darrah and Casey Hudson are good people who are clearly skilled but they are only two people in a company with hundreds of people. There's a lot of very talented people at BioWare who are very passionate. Just the game community ( and games journalism is part of the blame for this tbh) act like games are mainly responsible from one or two people, and so this is going to cause a lot of drama and even more scrutiny and nit picking by the gaming community. The devs don't deserve the doom posting they are going to get in the next few days nor do they deserve all the hard work they do be given credit to both Casey and Mark which is what the gaming community is going to do the next few days as well :(

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
C'mon, y'all. Have some optimism. That recent artwork looked phenomenal.

Just the game community ( and games journalism is part of the blame for this tbh) act like games are mainly responsible from one or two people, and so this is going to cause a lot of drama and even more scrutiny

FWIW, if I end up handling this article at RPGFan I won't pen it in such a fashion. And I don't think anyone else there would either.

Not a bizarre site plug or anything. Just like. Yeah. I agree. I try to avoid piling on to that.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
My worry isn't that the team is actually in trouble; Mark Darrah and Casey Hudson are good people who are clearly skilled but they are only two people in a company with hundreds of people. There's a lot of very talented people at BioWare who are very passionate. Just the game community ( and games journalism is part of the blame for this tbh) act like games are mainly responsible from one or two people, and so this is going to cause a lot of drama and even more scrutiny and nit picking by the gaming community. The devs don't deserve the doom posting they are going to get in the next few days nor do they deserve all the hard work they do be given credit to both Casey and Mark which is what the gaming community is going to do the next few days as well :(
This is very much true. Though it's also true that changing directors often has a negative impact on projects. You only need to look at Halo Infinite, though this also isn't nearly as bad (like, this isn't the third director leaving the project...). But we won't know how things will play out just yet, so it's too soon to get that worried.

Every BioWare thread here eventually goes to shit with the usual "lol BioWare is going down", sadly. People here have only one joke.

I find it funny how they only mentioned Christian Dailey was "ex-Blizzard", which is nice... I guess they just forgot the guy actually was Studio Director at BioWare Austin up to this point, responsible for Anthem 2.0 lol

Anthem really is a cursed name, they won't even mention it.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
This is very much true. Though it's also true that changing directors often has a negative impact on projects. You only need to look at Halo Infinite, though this also isn't nearly as bad (like, this isn't the third director leaving the project...). But we won't know how things will play out just yet, so it's too soon to get that worried.

Every BioWare thread here eventually goes to shit with the usual "lol BioWare is going down", sadly. People here have only one joke.

I find it funny how they only mentioned Christian Dailey was "ex-Blizzard", which is nice... I guess they just forgot the guy actually was Studio Director at BioWare Austin up to this point, responsible for Anthem 2.0 lol

Anthem really is a cursed name, they won't even mention it.
Honestly think I'll just avoid the non community threads about BioWare here now, it just goes to a very nasty place, like people want BioWare to go under just so they can say they were right?? To punish them for not making games exactly the way they want??? I dunno, it's weird and pretty horrid and I'm too exhausted to deal with it anymore. Seeing people egg on the loss of hundreds of jobs is horrible anytime, but in this economic climate is even worse.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly think I'll just avoid the non community threads about BioWare here now, it just goes to a very nasty place, like people want BioWare to go under just so they can say they were right?? To punish them for not making games exactly the way they want??? I dunno, it's weird and pretty horrid and I'm too exhausted to deal with it anymore. Seeing people egg on the loss of hundreds of jobs is horrible anytime, but in this economic climate is even worse.
That is literally it, and it's exhausting. You see people who never even talked about any BioWare game here pretending they know what "old BioWare" is just so they can get in on the fun doom and gloom. It's tiring.

There's an actual DICE dev in that thread who is appalled by the posts over there and I'm just embarrassed to see it.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's a BioWare thread there's a high chance of that EA/BioWare meme image being one of the first 10 posts in the thread.

I've been seeing that image for a long time now and the studio is still here so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Posting here because it seems the less toxic/reactionary place to talk about the news.

While I believe none of the Bioware projects are dead now, and I believe Christian Dailey will work as hard as he can to deliver DA4, I can't help to worry about the IP's longetivity. From what I gather Mark Darrah seems to be the higher up who has been pushing for Dragon Age when EA had no plans with it. Darrah's twitter profile also didn't inspire confidence with its all black banner. Both Darrah and Hudson are big names.