• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
If I'm not mistaken this person must've been playing with 3.0.4:
ghd2jge.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, I saw that. Ugh, I want to romance Morrigan as a woman but also want many of the fixes that Qwinn's Ultimate DAO Fixpack has. If only Bioware had the made the game well in the first place.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to orient themselves more onto inquisition I hope they'll look at xenoblade 2 for world design philosophy. It's smaller very opens maps that had for me by far the most intrigue of any other game going on a similar route. Inquisition maps have been pretty boring in comparison. The only thing that made inquisition maps fun was cheating yourself infinite uses of that mage teleport slide and then cruising around.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to orient themselves more onto inquisition I hope they'll look at xenoblade 2 for world design philosophy. It's smaller very opens maps that had for me by far the most intrigue of any other game going on a similar route. Inquisition maps have been pretty boring in comparison. The only thing that made inquisition maps fun was cheating yourself infinite uses of that mage teleport slide and then cruising around.
Xenoblade was the same shit to me, they just need more villages and involved quests and such. Life.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade was the same shit to me, they just need more villages and involved quests and such. Life.
I'm not talking about the content in the levels I'm talking about like the design of the map being insanely boring in Inquisition hence the only joy you get out of traveling it is cheating a mobility spell that makes you feel like you're playing a infamous second son knockoff mechanic.
Xenoblade 2 maps are designed with way more intrigue and more interesting nooks and crannies. Quest content wise monolith games have always been at the bottom as far as I'm concerned like MMO level snoozefests.

Like I really don't get the obsession with fantasy world settings trying to emulate reality with their environments(honestly reality is often more interesting than the map/world design of fantasy games). Please get more wild.

Last edited:

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about the content in the levels I'm talking about like the design of the map being insanely boring in Inquisition hence the only joy you get out of traveling it is cheating a mobility spell that makes you feel like you're playing a infamous second son knockoff mechanic.
Xenoblade 2 maps are designed with way more intrigue and more interesting nooks and crannies. Quest content wise monolith games have always been at the bottom as far as I'm concerned like MMO level snoozefests.
Do you mean things to discover or ways to move around?

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Has anyone here read Blue Wraith? I finally got around to it today and found it pretty underwhelming. I liked the other comics from the same writers, especially Knight Errant, but I think the quality has been going downhill.

Blue Wraith kinda felt like filler where nothing really happened except Fenris joining the crew. The setup with the red lyrium weapon didn't really go anywhere. Is the implication that since the sarcophagus needs a sword to activate it for some reason, they're gonna use Meredith's sword to make a red lyrium boi out of Shirallas? Speaking of the sarcophagus, that shit is weird. It contradicts WoT2, which is fine I guess. But it's just a classic case of explaining something that didn't need to be explained. And it actually causes more questions, like if the sarcophagus works so quickly, why didn't Danarius have a whole army of Fenrises? Fenris mentioned it broke, I guess that happened when it was used on him? And it couldn't be repaired, but now they repaired it. Idk it's not a big deal, it's just weird.

I just didn't feel like there was enough payoff given that they've been looking for the red lyrium for like two comics now. I've found the whole situation surrounding Meredith's sword so fascinating ever since Inquisition, and it's clearly important for DA4 since we saw the idol in that teaser, but these comics keep blueballing me lol.

It definitely didn't help that I only faintly remembered Francesca from Deception, who's pretty much the main character in this. But I guess that's kinda on me.

It was all worth it for this though:

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
I do not buy that they asked him to read that for the reasons that he thinks they asked him to read that.
lmao

ahhhh Fenris

Man Dragon Age 2 still had the best romances - DAI is good, but nothing compares to sheer Angst of a Rivalry romance
I tried rivalmancing Isabela once, because I liked the idea of helping her become a better person instead of enabling her, and I just ended up feeling like she didn't even like me lol. From what I've seen, that's kinda what most rivalmances are like. I like the concept but in practice they're a little too angsty for me I guess^^

Actually I think that was my most recent playthrough, and I didn't even make it to Act 3. I should go back to that sometime to see the rest of the rivalmance.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Dragon Age 2 is definitely a game I need to revisit
I remember playing it twice in quick succession when it first came out and really liking the character work, but for one reason or another I don't think I ended up revisiting it again after that

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi I like DA, Iron Bull, Fenris slaying slavers, dreaming of cracked eggs, Dorian living his best mustached life, and Iron Bull.

Hopefully at least a couple of these happen in DA4~
Yes I know Iron Bull's possible fate makes it unlikely and they can't all be the Maker's favorite like Leliana but let's not speak of such hurtful things.
Gonna have to do a series replay eventually, but I've kinda been hoping we'll get an updated collection at some point... It sounds like Mass Effect is getting that first though and they've decided to never announce that so for now I wait.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi I like DA, Iron Bull, Fenris slaying slavers, dreaming of cracked eggs, Dorian living his best mustached life, and Iron Bull.

Hopefully at least a couple of these happen in DA4~
Yes I know Iron Bull's possible fate makes it unlikely and they can't all be the Maker's favorite like Leliana but let's not speak of such hurtful things.
Gonna have to do a series replay eventually, but I've kinda been hoping we'll get an updated collection at some point... It sounds like Mass Effect is getting that first though and they've decided to never announce that so for now I wait.
IB showing up really seems like it'll come down to budget and Weekes.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect The Iron Bull to appear in the same capacity as Zevran in DA2 at least. Part of some side quest or whatever. He's either dead or Tal-Vashoth, so that's not a lot of variation.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I finally finished up Dragon Age Inquisition, I beat the base game a long time ago and played on pc at the beginning of this year. People were not kidding Tresspasser was really good. I never played it before so it was still new.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished up Dragon Age Inquisition, I beat the base game a long time ago and played on pc at the beginning of this year. People were not kidding Tresspasser was really good. I never played it before so it was still new.

Trespasser finale is easily the highest point in the series for me, beating even Origins's "Ultimate Sacrifice" ending.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trespasser is easily one of the best things in the entire series and probably one of my favorite pieces of DLC ever, and now we just have to see what follows after it.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't already, chase it down with Tevinter Nights. A great book that (I hope) sets the mood for DA4. Eldritch horror abounds!

Side note: The Horror of Hormak is IMO one of the most fucked up things I've seen in this series, it's reminiscent of DA Awakening in mood.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Hey, it's me, I'm back from Portugal. I browsed Tumblr a bit earlier today, in order to quench my DA thirst, and I come bearing gifts, I hope you'll appreciate (some of) them, hopefully! They're very Solas-centric cause he still is so very interesting to me, sorry not sorry!

I just learned that Solas made a cameo in one DA:I trailer centered on Varric. For some reason I still didn't know about it. The trailer is located in Haven, right before the breach opens. I don't know, it's bit of information that I think is very funny and exciting to discover even 6 years after the fact!

One user analyzed the way Solas reacts to the different ways Lavellan acts right after breaking up with her. It gives some more extra insight into his personality and psyche, and quite frankly, the very last one kinda breaks my heart a bit, not gonna lie. I usually only see the first one though, and I always interpreted his cold demeanor exactly like this user did.

Some pictures I gathered along the way:

And last but not least, Matt Rhodes released some HQ pictures of DA4 concepts seen in the latest video on his ArtStation! No need to tell y'all which I chose as new desktop wallpaper, although I have to admit that Raven Girl was a close second, she looks damn fine!

m32zWvY.jpg

Uc5kAgz.jpg

pNHReYk.jpg

Currently reading The Horror of Hormak from Tevinter Nights, and holy hell this is getting quite dark. I quite enjoyed Three Trees To Midnight (here's to hoping Strife is a DA4 companion) and it took me a bit of a while to get into Down Among The Dead Men, but when I did, it was pretty good too (and here's to hoping that Myrna is also a DA4 companion, or makes some kind of appearance somewhere!). So far, really enjoying those stories, developing the DA world in rich and interesting ways!

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Would you guys say that 2 is worth playing through again? I waned to play through the games again and have been debating on playing through all of them or not. I have origins and inquisition on steam already.

Oct 26, 2017
Would you guys say that 2 is worth playing through again? I waned to play through the games again and have been debating on playing through all of them or not. I have origins and inquisition on steam already.

Honestly, no. The way the game plays on PC is really irritating and the level design will break you sooner or later.

Deleted member 34881

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Honestly, no. The way the game plays on PC is really irritating and the level design will break you sooner or later.
The last time I played it was on ps3. I already have a saved world state of it on dragon age keep. Just been having a ton of Da2 videos pop up a lot and lore videos too. 2 is the one that I only played twice I think and thats it.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only place where DA2 is worth playing is on PC imo where you get to use cheats to get through the waves of enemies.

Oct 26, 2017
The last time I played it was on ps3. I already have a saved world state of it on dragon age keep. Just been having a ton of Da2 videos pop up a lot and lore videos too. 2 is the one that I only played twice I think and thats it.

Ah PS3 will play better. Still have to deal with the repetitive levels getting to you though. Why this game has no controller option on PC despite clearly being 100% designed for one I'll never know.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Dragon Age 2, it took me a while to realize the enemies in DA2 reuse Origins animation/battle system...so you have your character swing their weapons multiple times by the time enemy finished doing a single attack. It was super jarring.

Inquisition is better, but the way it divide human enemies into archetype, regardless of their background, leads into stuff like Templar or Grey Warden being no different than normal bandits.

I'd love of DA4 go back to using universal ruleset for everyone, tho not sure if it work if DA4 goes full action lol.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Currently reading The Horror of Hormak from Tevinter Nights, and holy hell this is getting quite dark. I quite enjoyed Three Trees To Midnight (here's to hoping Strife is a DA4 companion) and it took me a bit of a while to get into Down Among The Dead Men, but when I did, it was pretty good too (and here's to hoping that Myrna is also a DA4 companion, or makes some kind of appearance somewhere!). So far, really enjoying those stories, developing the DA world in rich and interesting ways!
The Horror of Hormak was for sure one of my favorites from Tevinter Nights, and it looks like it might be very relevant for DA4. Definitely let us know what you think of the rest of the book!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I plan on playing Dragon Age Origins for the first time. Any tips I should know?

I played and beat Dragon Age 2 a long time ago, and don't really remember much.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be playing the 360 version through BC on my Xbox One X. Are their cheats for that version?

Don't listen to them. Their gameplay holds up well, and both have among the best AI customization ever.

As for tips, well, the games are quite approachable as long as you read tooltips and such. It's easy to make your own builds, and anything can work outside of Nightmare difficulty.

In DA:O, mages are OP, to the point where each mage you have in your party will lower the difficulty. Dual wielding is also powerful, whether you're a warrior or rogue, while 2H requires some knowledge to make great, and bows are just bad.

DA:O is more of a tactical experience, while DA2 is noticeably designed for button mash-y console play.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't listen to them. Their gameplay holds up well, and both have among the best AI customization ever.

As for tips, well, the games are quite approachable as long as you read tooltips and such. It's easy to make your own builds, and anything can work outside of Nightmare difficulty.

In DA:O, mages are OP, to the point where each mage you have in your party will lower the difficulty. Dual wielding is also powerful, whether you're a warrior or rogue, while 2H requires some knowledge to make great, and bows are just bad.

DA:O is more of a tactical experience, while DA2 is noticeably designed for button mash-y console play.
Thank you.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh man I just remembered that DA:O had that one thing you could do where if you put a character in the stasis spell thing they would draw all of the aggro.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Just finished The Horror of Hormak and holy hell, that spider with hands seen in the latest video (and on ShiftyCow 's avatar) makes a lot of sense to me now! Wew, that's gonna be interesting for sure!

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I actually support a closed open world approach like Inquisition, as long as it has fewer dumb fetch quests.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Can you explain a bit more??? Kinda interested what is the lore for spider hands lol
sry for taking so long to respond to this^^
So in that story a couple Grey Wardens discover this ancient elven ruin in the Deep Roads that's full of all kinds of fucked up mutated monsters, and a pool full of liquid that's causing the mutations. My elven lore is rusty but I think the consensus is that it's all Ghilan'nain's doing. The surviving Warden collapses the cavern, but the murals there suggest that there are eleven more such places, at least one of which we'll probably find in DA4, judging by the spider with hands and the concept art with the giant centipede. Also here's a much more thorough synopsis if you wanna know more^^

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
sry for taking so long to respond to this^^
So in that story a couple Grey Wardens discover this ancient elven ruin in the Deep Roads that's full of all kinds of fucked up mutated monsters, and a pool full of liquid that's causing the mutations. My elven lore is rusty but I think the consensus is that it's all Ghilan'nain's doing. The surviving Warden collapses the cavern, but the murals there suggest that there are eleven more such places, at least one of which we'll probably find in DA4, judging by the spider with hands and the concept art with the giant centipede. Also here's a much more thorough synopsis if you wanna know more^^

No problem :) thx for that.

So essentialy Ghilan'nain was a mad scientist, i guess that explains why it's said she created a bunch of creatures. Also explains why Andruil hunted and kill her creations.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
No problem :) thx for that.

So essentialy Ghilan'nain was a mad scientist, i guess that explains why it's said she created a bunch of creatures. Also explains why Andruil hunted and kill her creations.

I'm sorry I had not replied quick enough, but ShiftyCow made a pretty good summary of the story. It was very suspenseful, filled with horror and deadly grim. It was a really good story, really! I'm just also gonna share a link to a post about this story, explaining what it means in terms of lore, and of potential things we'll have to do in DA4 related to it!

The Vir Dirthara

The Horror of Hormak fucked me UP. and also Ghilan'Nan?! That story was really great, so suspenseful/creepy and then horrifying. A solid build-up with a dramatic payoff replete with looming threat for...

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
I'm just also gonna share a link to a post about this story, explaining what it means in terms of lore, and of potential things we'll have to do in DA4 related to it!

The Vir Dirthara

The Horror of Hormak fucked me UP. and also Ghilan'Nan?! That story was really great, so suspenseful/creepy and then horrifying. A solid build-up with a dramatic payoff replete with looming threat for...

Wow, I don't remember those codexes. I probably read them and dismissed them as unimportant when they were actually apparently written by fucking Ghilan'nain herself. That woman gives me the creeps. Also all those mentions of enchantment remind me of a certain someone whose writings we also find in Trespasser but I'm not sure what the connection would be.

I feel like Dragon Age does this kind of thing a lot, seemingly mundane things turn out to be super important or brilliant foreshadowing. It feels worth it to analyze every codex or mural or statue because Bioware actually puts thought into these details. I gotta replay Trespasser, I only played it once when it came out and don't remember it that well, it's probably full of juicy lore, beyond the obvious stuff.

That other post linked at the end of this one proposing that the Executors are sea people created by Ghilan'nain is fucking mind-blowing, too. That's some real good tinfoil. Makes me wonder if in a future game Bioware is going to pay homage to that part in Baldur's Gate 2 and let us visit an underwater city of the Executors. (Don't read that post yet btw, some spoilers in there for Tevinter Nights chapters you haven't read yet.)

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Just fyi, Summerfall studios is doing a playthrough of Dragon Age Origins and that's with David Gaider, former lead writer of Dragon Age ( now co-founder of summerfall studios and they are making a game which is a role playing musical game based off greek myythology which hopefully you guys will be interested in cus MUSICALS!!!) Only watched the first ten mins or so but some interesting development tid bits like how the game wasn't actually in full development for 6 years and how a lot of the different teams for a long time had very different ideas of what type of game IP Dragon Age was going to be which suddenly makes a lot of sense as there are some parts of DAO that feel a bit tonally out mismatch, especially compared to later games.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Holy shit nice! Thanks for sharing this, I watched some of their BG2 playthrough but they don't seem to archive their streams anywhere which is super annoying. I'm gonna try not to miss anything from this playthrough.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Oh neat, a community thread.

Currently 45 hours into Inquisition, decided to finally play it now that it's on Steam. Just finished the Wicked Hearts and Wicked Eyes quest, loved how different it was.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, a community thread to talk about my favorite IP from Bioware.

I think I may be done playing the games until the next one comes out. I played Origins, Dragon Age 2, and Inquisition so many times. I'm going to start reading the books tomorrow. I haven't read any of the books and I don't know why, but I am ready for more Dragon Age. Stolen Throne here I come!