• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Speaking of necromancers, I really hope if we see Dorian in DA4 he won't be trying to rationalize slavery anymore.

Also this bump reminds me I haven't read the most recent comic yet, gotta get on that. Knight Errant was the best one yet imo, and I think Deception is from the same writers so I'm looking forward to it.

I just wish Weekes would write another novel, would make the wait for DA4 much easier.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with all of the times I've played through Inquisition, I still haven't done a necromancer playthrough. I just love Knight-Enchanter and Rift Mage too much.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
At this point I have zero faith in this game. Origins was great, 2 sucked and BioWare is pretty much done.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Holy bump!

And yeah I suspected those bits were in reference to a possible DA. Hopefully whatever they're cooking will be awesome! :)

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Wew, huge necronbump again yeah!
I'm working on the DA Community thread as well, we really need a place to talk about all things DA-related.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I was bummed the warden disappeared after the mass effect precedent, but I don't necessarily miss the character now. Would rather have the Inquisitor back with a cameo like Hawke did.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was bummed the warden disappeared after the mass effect precedent, but I don't necessarily miss the character now. Would rather have the Inquisitor back with a cameo like Hawke did.
I don't know why people want the Warden back when they made it clear as soon as the EXPANSION to Origins that they didn't want to bring them back.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Warden back? well well well if it happens color me surprised, i would not think he would ever be back.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Don't think it's a good idea for the warden to be back, just because of the voice, I mean, if they make it work I guess, or maybe they can make the warden mute, like the blight is fucking up the body, it has been a long time since they have saved Ferelden.

Edit: My english took a hit today wow

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I don't know why people want the Warden back when they made it clear as soon as the EXPANSION to Origins that they didn't want to bring them back.

I think it's partially because the Warden was the most "OC-able" hero, as well as the first one, so long time fans have a lot of attachment to them. There's also the fact that Inquisition reveals they are working on something that could have major repercussions for the lore.

However, given how varied the outcome for the Warden can be in Origins, I never expect them to come back in any meaningful way. Granted, they have said "screw it" to that before with outcomes Origins could have.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Leiliana is a different case.

From a story perspective, sure. From a writer's perspective it's very much the same. They wanted to use a character that could have different outcomes, so they made it so she's around regardless of what happened. They could theoretically come up with a reason why that is the case for the Warden as well. I wouldn't want them to, but the precedent is there.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I don't see how they could satisfyingly wrap that plot up without bringing back the Inquisitor.
Every epilogue leaves them active for a reason.

They mention again and again that that certain character knows everything about your Inky, knows how to manipulate them and infiltrate them and
Can find people in their dreams they know and kill them from anywhere - was also checking up what the Inquisition was doing in that book too
, it's why they say they need to find someone else who that certain character doesn't know about. It wouldn't surprise me if the next protag however has contact with a representative of the Inquisitor, personally it sounded to me from the slides with the long distance communitive device and his location being Tevinter that it's probably Dorian, also could see Charter being a Lelianna replacement. But I'm one of those weird people that thinks DAI's story of discontructing the chosen one trope works better if it turns out the Inquisitor isn't the one in the next game that can fix everything and needs someone else to do it while they help.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I think it's partially because the Warden was the most "OC-able" hero, as well as the first one, so long time fans have a lot of attachment to them. There's also the fact that Inquisition reveals they are working on something that could have major repercussions for the lore.

However, given how varied the outcome for the Warden can be in Origins, I never expect them to come back in any meaningful way. Granted, they have said "screw it" to that before with outcomes Origins could have.
Yeah, that's pretty much it for me. It felt the most "my character" of them all. Not that I disliked the rest but the Warden definitely has some nostalgia points going for them, for sure!

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
They mention again and again that that certain character knows everything about your Inky, knows how to manipulate them and infiltrate them and
Can find people in their dreams they know and kill them from anywhere - was also checking up what the Inquisition was doing in that book too
, it's why they say they need to find someone else who that certain character doesn't know about. It wouldn't surprise me if the next protag however has contact with a representative of the Inquisitor, personally it sounded to me from the slides with the long distance communitive device and his location being Tevinter that it's probably Dorian, also could see Charter being a Lelianna replacement. But I'm one of those weird people that thinks DAI's story of discontructing the chosen one trope works better if it turns out the Inquisitor isn't the one in the next game that can fix everything and needs someone else to do it while they help.
Well yeah they don't need to be the main character again but they definitely should at least be there.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The Inquisitor absolutely HAS to be in the next game.They also absolutely HAVE to not be the main player character or the one who saves the day. Saying they do is like saying Hawke has to be the main character of DA3 because of the Legacy DLC. This series is about the world moving forward, not any particular character. It's not Mass Effect.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Well yeah they don't need to be the main character again but they definitely should at least be there.
Would you prefer more of a Hawke cameo like in DAI or having an advisor who has been talking to the Inquisitor but the Inky doesn't speak directly? I kinda would prefer the later to be honest as it leaves what the Inky is doing in the background or how they are living their life more able to be headcanoned for players.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Would you prefer more of a Hawke cameo like in DAI or having an advisor who has been talking to the Inquisitor but the Inky doesn't speak directly? I kinda would prefer the later to be honest as it leaves what the Inky is doing in the background or how they are living their life more able to be headcanoned for players.
The latter would be fine for the most part but they should make a physical appearance and have a conversation with that character just for closure's sake.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
The Inquisitor absolutely HAS to be in the next game.They also absolutely HAVE to not be the main player character or the one who saves the day. Saying they do is like saying Hawke has to be the main character of DA3 because of the Legacy DLC. This series is about the world moving forward, not any particular character. It's not Mass Effect.

Yeah i mean the end of Trespasser pretty much tells us that DA4 will have a new main character.
That's the whole point since Solas pretty much knows how the Inquisitor thinks and the Order works, that's why going to Tevinter is the next step.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Still think going to Tevinter is a catastrophic mistake.

Nothing in Bioware's history has shown me that they can write slavery, and players don't *really* want to play a slave, and should not want (who am I kidding)to play a slave master.

And "My family didn't keep slaves/ freed all my slaves" is insulting.

They did it to themselves, but Tevinter is a place we should dip our toes into at best. Making a whole game about this place is going to be impossible without massive hand waving/southern propaganda nonsense of their society.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
One of my biggest issues with Inquisition is how quickly and easily they sweep up the Mage/Templar War, a plot that was the focus of the entire previous game and built up significantly in the Asunder novel. I think that is the biggest misstep in the entire DA series. I don't want to see the leftover plots from Inquisition be given the same treatment. Even if DA4 ends up not going the exact way we all assume it will, I think in order for the Dread Wolf plot to go anywhere satisfying, the Inquisitor has to make a physical appearance, have dialogue, and play a role as an at least semi-important NPC.

But ultimately, I want DA4 to be it's own story, with it's own hero, and not be "Dragon Age Inquisition 2", so it's a fine line to walk of not stealing the spotlight. I just really hope the Dread Wolf plot isn't wrapped up in the prologue with little fanfare and you get a letter from the Inquisitor later saying thanks, ya know?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still think going to Tevinter is a catastrophic mistake.

Nothing in Bioware's history has shown me that they can write slavery, and players don't *really* want to play a slave, and should not want (who am I kidding)to play a slave master.

And "My family didn't keep slaves/ freed all my slaves" is insulting.

They did it to themselves, but Tevinter is a place we should dip our toes into at best. Making a whole game about this place is going to be impossible without massive hand waving/southern propaganda nonsense of their society.
You don't have to be a noble in every DA game. The 'middle class' in Tevinter can't afford slaves.

EDIT: You could also just be an outsider in a horrible place, that's what DA2 essentially was.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
You don't have to be a noble in every DA game. The 'middle class' in Tevinter can't afford slaves.

EDIT: You could also just be an outsider in a horrible place, that's what DA2 essentially was.
I don't think they can make plucky outsiders for every race if they retain the much desired Origins and Inquisition choice of choosing your own race.

No one wants to go back to DA2 you can only be human nonsense. That is half the reason that game was trashed from the get go.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they can make plucky outsiders for every race if they retain the much desired Origins and Inquisition choice of choosing your own race.
I don't think it's all too hard: Qunari aren't welcome in Tevinter society, Make the elf PC Dalish, Make the Dwarven PC from Kal-Sharok, Make the human PC from Seheron or something.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it's all too hard: Qunari aren't welcome in Tevinter society, Make the elf PC Dalish, Make the Dwarven PC from Kal-Sharok, Make the human PC from Seheron or something.
Too much lore and history from those regions to stick on a create a character and then have that character know things from that region and then still have things explained to them so the player learns about that region too. It's too much work. Not to mention diving into the form of slavery the Qun is is a whole other headache.

I mean stay optimistic I guess but I don't see it happening.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
Too much lore and history from those regions to stick on a create a character and then have that character know things from that region and then still have things explained to them so the player learns about that region too. It's too much work. Not to mention diving into the form of slavery the Qun is is a whole other headache.

I mean stay optimistic I guess but I don't see it happening.
Why is it to much lore to explain? In Inquisition every player character was from or operated in the Free Marches, Trevelyan was noble/mage from Ostwick, Lavallen was from a clan near Wycome, Cadash is in the Carta smuggling between Free March cities and Adaar is part of the Valo-kas mecenaries who work in the Free Marches and Nevarra; DA 4 could be the same, most likely the PC is going to be from outside Teveinter so as to provide reason why they don't know what, how or who anything or anybody is in Tevinter. The PC backgrounds will likely be only really useful in certain situations i.e. a Southern Mage might be looked down on but they might be able to get in to a Tevinter circle easier then a Southern Thedas Elf, who might have to sneak or bribe their way in etcetera.

If you've read Tevinter Nights it introduces the group who I think we'll be initially working for: the Lords of Fortune. There basically the classic RPG Adventures guild, dungeon diving for artifacts, monster hunting, stealing artifacts etcetera. My guess would be that the first third of the game will be doing jobs for somebody who has hired you, there will be a mission where it goes massively wrong and you then find out that you've been hired by Charter of the Inquisition and that you've going up against Fen'Harel the entire time

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it to much lore to explain? In Inquisition every player character was from or operated in the Free Marches, Trevelyan was noble/mage from Ostwick, Lavallen was from a clan near Wycome, Cadash is in the Carta smuggling between Free March cities and Adaar is part of the Valo-kas mecenaries who work in the Free Marches and Nevarra; DA 4 could be the same, most likely the PC is going to be from outside Teveinter so as to provide reason why they don't know what, how or who anything or anybody is in Tevinter. The PC backgrounds will likely be only really useful in certain situations i.e. a Southern Mage might be looked down on but they might be able to get in to a Tevinter circle easier then a Southern Thedas Elf, who might have to sneak or bribe their way in etcetera.
Yeah, this is how I assumed they would do it as well. Making the PC an outsider is the easiest way of introducing a new culture.