• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I'd like a party size increase... from 3 companions to at least 4.
I want to bring 2 mages so I can have a healer and a damage dealer.

I'd like usable horses... the ones in DA:I were kind of pointless.

I'd like them to keep the idea of an upgradeable and customisable home base. I liked Skyhold... but I don't think it was customisable enough, and there were too many loads going between areas of it.

I didn't mind the War Table, but having to go out to change regions was a ridiculous pain in the arse.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
> Return to Dragon Age Origin Dark-fantasy tone

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Fucking yes.

You've typed in a short sentence all I want from a Dragon Age sequel.

I will also add: a focus on story with a wide-linear approach. Full open world doesn't suit BioWare and their type of storytelling. And Dragon Age: Origins was basically a plot-rich game in a wide-linear world that was cut up into smaller pieces due to the constraints of the technology at the time.

BioWare, get this about Dragon Age: it has incredible lore that was so amazingly presented in DAO as a dark fantasy epic. That's what everyone fell in love with at the most basic level. Because you could say the characters are what people fell in love with, but they live within the constraints of that universe. You could say it was the plot, but the plot works as a reflection of that universe. Wherever you turn to, it was the bloody and scary dark fantasy world you created with DAO and the lore that accompanies it that nurtured the love for this series that so many fans feel, myself included. At the very least, merge Origins and Inquisition with sprinkles of II. But mostly Origins. Especially the art style, for god's sake.

If there's one thing I hope for, its the return of a darker tone and atmosphere- Inquisition seemed oddly sanitized as a Dragon Age game. Like the Fade didn't seem as disturbing and seemed like a more generic "other world", the racial prejudice aspect was downplayed, it lacked that gritty medieval atmosphere.

One thing I am exited about is Solas as the antagonist, this series has lacked a really good villain since Loghain.

And another great post. Again, I agree with the entirety of its contents.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

Fucking yes.

I will also add: a focus on story with a wide-linear approach. Full open world doesn't suit BioWare and their type of storytelling. And Dragon Age: Origins was basically a plot-rich game in a wide-linear world that was cut up into smaller pieces due to the constraints of the technology at the time.

BioWare, get this about Dragon Age: it has incredible lore that was so amazingly presented in DAO as a dark fantasy epic. That's what everyone fell in love with at the most basic level. Because you could say the characters are what people fell in love with, but they live within the constraints of that universe. You could say it was the plot, but the plot works as a reflection of that universe. Wherever you turn to, it was the bloody and scary dark fantasy world you created with DAO and the lore that accompanies it that nurtured the love for this series that so many fans feel, myself included. At the very least, merge Origins and Inquisition with sprinkles of II. But mostly Origins. Especially the art style, for god's sake.

I vastly prefer Inquisition's (and II's, at least when you ignore the endless warehouse tile sets) art style to Origins', honestly, and it was the game that really got me interested in Dragon Age's lore—I thought they did an absolutely fantastic job of weaving the lore into the plot. The revelations about the elves and the nature of the Fade took Dragon Age from, 'a decent fantasy setting that happens to include two games I really like' to 'one of my favourite fantasy settings (that includes two games I really like and one game that I love bits of, but desperately wish had less filler.)'

Last edited:

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing I hope for, its the return of a darker tone and atmosphere- Inquisition seemed oddly sanitized as a Dragon Age game. Like the Fade didn't seem as disturbing and seemed like a more generic "other world", the racial prejudice aspect was downplayed, it lacked that gritty medieval atmosphere.

One thing I am exited about is Solas as the antagonist, this series has lacked a really good villain since Loghain.
I feel that anytime there is a medieval setting in games they are all gritty. (Witcher, Dark Souls, Diablo, the Mordor games.) I'm kind of getting tired of the gritty look personally and I felt that the colorful nature of Inquisition was perfect. Origin by comparison looked for plain and boring, I almost skipped out on playing it because of how plain and generic it looked.

Last edited:

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I vastly prefer Inquisition's (and II's, at least when you ignore the endless warehouse tile sets) art style to Origins', honestly, and it was the game that really got me interested in Dragon Age's lore—I thought they did an absolutely fantastic job of weaving the lore into the plot. The revelations about the elves and the nature of the Fade took Dragon Age from, 'a decent fantasy setting that happens to include two games I really like' to 'one of my favourite fantasy settings (that includes two games I really like and one game that I love bits of, but desperately wish had less filler.)'
Obviously you are perfectly entitled to your preference, but it seems to me that most fans that fell in love with the series by playing the first game consider Origins as the benchmark of what the series and its lore represent. I don't want to speak for everyone, but that's the feeling I get and I certainly share in that. Hence why to me Inquisition feels so sanitized and so lacking in... excitement, after the ruthless, dangerous, menacing world of Origins.

BioWare knows this series has different kinds of fans with different kinds of preferences, especially after 3 rather dissimilar games. So we'll see in what direction they go in. So far, judging by the small bits of art in that amazing teaser trailer, I'm liking what I see.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Fucking yes.

DA: Origins did a fantastic job setting up the world and history of DA. Probably one of their best efforts in the series in that regard, and in their very first entry too! It also helped that it had pretty nice set of characters to help you along. It had a certain magic that neither DA2 or Inquisition managed to nail IMO.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Solas removes the anchor in Trespasser and the Inquisitor's arm is amputated. Inquisitor is still good to fight if you maxed out approval with Sera.

Weird. I thought that the inquisitor was still doomed for some reason.

Fucking yes.

DA:O had an atmosphere of despair to it, for sure. I remember having a feeling of no true "happy" ending being possible given the circumstances going into the end-game.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But mostly Origins. Especially the art style, for god's sake.
Alright I'm going on a rant about this:

ORIGINS IS UGLY AS HELL

IT LOOKS LIKE NOTHING, IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE MODDED A LOTR RTS TO MAKE A RPG

I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THE LOVE FOR THOSE GENERIC ORC LOOKING DARKSPAWN THAT HAD MORE ORNATE ARMOR THAN KING CAILAIN.
alright I'm done.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the racial prejudice aspect was downplayed,
This also kind of annoys me here, Inquistion was about faith and hope so it didn't come off as grim as Origins did but the racism is a lot better integrated than how DAO front loaded it.

The blacksmith having 4 different tones in how he responds to you based on race and gender along with him omitting certain things from his stories and Solas' "You're one of the good ones" felt a lot more authentic than people just calling you a slur in Denerim.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fenris back as well.
He got a good redesign in World of Thedas, lot less anime

latest

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
DA:O had an atmosphere of despair to it, for sure. I remember having a feeling of no true "happy" ending being possible given the circumstances going into the end-game.

I know! One of the many things I love about that game. It walks such a fine line on so many things. The uneasy Templars/Mages structure and hierarchy with the Circles at its centre, the fact that killing Urthemiel requires untold sacrifice, whichever option you go for (I went with the sacrifice of my own character), the oppression of the Elves who do feel like a race that has been completely scattered and stripped of its pride, glory and sense of self-esteem, etc. It's such a wonderful game with such deep meaning to everything it does.

ORIGINS IS UGLY AS HELL

I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THE LOVE FOR THOSE GENERIC ORC LOOKING DARKSPAWN THAT HAD MORE ORNATE ARMOR THAN KING CAILAIN.
alright I'm done.

Ok, now that that's out of the way... I still love it. II made everything a goofier shade of dark, blergh. Inquisition made everything colourful and sparkly and polished, blergh.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inquisition made everything colourful and sparkly and polsihed, blergh.
Eh, this feels a bit unrepresentative but you do at least get that DA:O took place during a Blight right? It can't be that crushing all the time

Like I don't really buy the "sanitized" take, it doesn't hold up really when you play the game. Even if you're talking aesthetics.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

ORIGINS IS UGLY AS HELL

alright I'm done.

Origins looked "bad" because of technical reasons I would argue, but on next-gen systems that "realistic" style + atmosphere + Frostbite engine would be amazing.

And I actually liked Origins darkspawn the most lol they looked the most "humanoid", and seeing as how these things are smart enough to make Armour/swords and are sentient enough to understand behaviors and strategy associated with battle, I preferred it that way. With each passing game they look more and more like mindless monsters that boggles the mind as to how they ever managed to get that Armour on. If anything the more humanoid Darkspawn were more menacing, the DA2 ones especially were kind of goofy.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Odd way to intepret a bald head on a drawing then. :/
Why would Solas be fighting against the Dread Wolf? Red eyes too, is he affected by Red Lyrium?

It's meant to represent his internal conflict. The Dread Wolf on one side and Solas on the other, the Red Lyrium idol standing between them. Solas is obviously conflicted about what he must do in order to restore the Elves of Old.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would be really happy if we got something more akin to DA2, but better executed with a dash of DAI, in terms of plot and world structure. I would love a much more focused story centered around a limited set of highly detailed and reactive locations, rather than a continent hopping adventure with exhaustively huge maps that ultimately don't have a lot to them but space. Where DA2 had too few locations and issues with recycling maps, DAI had an overabundance of locations that were not really utilized to any meaningful degree.

Focus the game around Minrathos and Seheron as the two central urban hubs of the game. Really flesh out those two cities to provide us with a real intimate and detailed look at Tevinter and Qun societies. Then supplement them with much more purpose built open world maps outside the cities that are more like Fallow Mire, large but not exceedingly massive zones, and less like The Hinterlands, Emprise du Lion and so on. And then have lots of traditional dungeon like locals set in temples, forts, manors and the Deep Roads.

Have us searching for Solas, trying to pick up his trail here and there, chasing rumors of him appearing around the two capitols, while at the same time dealing with the more overt conflict between Tevinter and the Qunari, along with their own internal conflicts.

I mean given that the elves are explicitly said to be coded after various oppressed groups (Native Americans, Jews and Roma off the top of my head) the whole "everything is the elves' fault and they're oppressed now but it's okay because they deserve it for being assholes lol" thing is reeeeeeeeally skeevy.
Can't say I agree with this assessment much at all. What was/is done to the Elves by Humans is time and again shown to be quite explicitly wrong and unjustified and is kind of one of the few areas in the games and expanded material that is rarely ever up for debate, unlike the conflict with the Mages where we are regularly given the ability and moderate justification to side with the Chantry/Circles/Templars. That the Elves are ultimately responsible for the fall of their civilization and creation of the Veil really does not factor into this at all. The sole cause of their mistreatment and bigotry they face is due to their race and has little to do with their past actions, least of all those completely unknown actions like the creation of the Veil or fact that some of their "Gods" were total monsters. The hatred for and violence against them is purely race based.

You're always going to have issues when it comes to creating a fictional oppressed group based off of real world marginalized peoples, but I would still say DA is one of the better instances, but certainly can and should improve upon that as much as possible as it's far from perfect. Giving them a more colored and less innocent past shouldn't really be an issue as the game never presents that as a justification for their mistreatment. For me stuff like how their oppression is actually depicted and handled in the series is cause for concern at times as its use can often feel gratuitous and serve little purpose outside shock value, providing no an actual alternative to or commentary on oppression, like the City Elf Origin. While they've improved on this over time, the series still tends to be rather juvenile in its depiction of racism and oppression, characterizing bigotry in rather extreme and cartoonish ways, while often failing to really address or expose the more casual and systemic issues.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

ORIGINS IS UGLY AS HELL

alright I'm done.

Seriously, this.

The art style of Origins almost put me off the series due to it reminding me of all those CRPGs I could never get into because they looked so ugly.

I'm so glad I gave the game a chance, because I ended up falling in love with its universe and characters, but visually it was basically a masterclass in how to paint a game in as many shades of brown as possible.

I need this lady to return:
LyeaaPt.png

And this one:
HKwQUfB.jpg

And especially this one!
KXNWI55.png

Again, this.

Morrigan deservedly gets her share of recognition, but Aveline and Cassandra are honestly two of the best women in RPG history and it's a damn shame they're never really talked about much.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything the more humanoid Darkspawn were more menacing, the DA2 ones especially were kind of goofy.
What?

They look like gremlins in DAO. I'll agree that they were goofy in DA2 but I buy them more as corruptions of the races in DAI

Also why isn't there a collective word for the races by the way?

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Odd way to intepret a bald head on a drawing then. :/
Why would Solas be fighting against the Dread Wolf? Red eyes too, is he affected by Red Lyrium?

It's weird, staring at the image, one second I can see the bald head perfectly fine but the next it looks weird again. It's like my brain is constantly changing its mind about what it thinks it's looking at. It's like an optical illusion lol.
And yeah, good question, idk. Could be symbolic for his inner conflict. Which makes me wonder if this mural actually exists or will exist in Thedas and if it may have been painted by Solas himself like the one in Skyhold. Maybe he decided to make his baldness less obvious, too :P
It's worth noting that in a mural in Trespasser, which is suspected of being a self-portrait according to the DA wiki, though I don't remember where that info comes from(only played Trespasser once when it came out), Solas and the wolf are also depicted as separate.
(You also have the triangles and the white/grey circle here. Have we seen them anywhere else?)

I can't tell if Solas has red eyes, you mean the Dread Wolf though right? For what it's worth, it also has red eyes in Solas' tarot card after he leaves the party.
But if you look between the mouth of the Dread Wolf you can see red lines which could be red lyrium veins I guess, so I don't know. They're also next to his head above the circle.

My general thoughts on the mural: The seven orbs are obviously the old gods, with two still being alive, except Urthemiel who can kinda still be alive but not in dragon form. I can see him not counting for those reasons, but maybe it could suggest that the orbs don't represent the old gods and which ones are dead, but instead the prisons and which ones are empty? idk. There's orbs like that in relation to the titans in a mural in Trespasser, is there a connection? My Inquisition DLC lore is too rusty to attempt to make sense of that.
(Upside down triangles!! But different? I'm most likely way off base but for some reason I'm obsessed with these triangles, what do they mean??? Also is it just me or do these orbs look like the anus on the Greendale flag in Community lol)

The idol might symbolize the blight, or red lyrium, or whoever the idol itself is depicting. It looks like Solas is either trying to free it or to lock it up. The tree might be Mythal? Or an alienage vhenadahl symbolizing elves joining Solas. I think that's all I can think of right now. I don't know what the white cracking circle is, idk what the red one behind Solas is, I'm not 100% sure that even is Solas, idk why some of the fire is gold and some is red, and I don't know why the ground(?) looks that way. What do you guys think?

I honestly think both the Arishok and Meredith were great villains. The Arishok especially was very imposing and quotable. "Fixing your mess is not the demand of the Qun, and you should all be grateful!"
Inquisition is the odd one out with Corypheus who was lame but then Solas kinda was the real villain.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Arishok especially was very imposing and quotable. "Fixing your mess is not the demand of the Qun, and you should all be grateful!"
The Arishok was great and the game really should ended around there, his whole build up as being genuinely more likable and honorable throughout the acts only to have the mask fall off and show him as just as much of a petty failure with too much power just like everyone else in the city was great.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

I highly recommend gamermd83's channel for anything Dragon Age related! I watched ALL of her stuff when Inquisition came out. She posts lots of cool theories and explains a lot of the lore in a highly digestible way.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
I remember watching some of her interviews with voice actors and devs! She's great. If we're recommending Dragon Age youtubers, I wanna give a shout out to Ghil Dirthalen.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
IGN's video on the teaser.

See, this says something early on just makes me sort of mad. "They did the Bioware thing and put a bunch of major lore in the DLC" and that... is just habitually annoying. It's just like, I played your game, enjoyed it for what it was, then moved on to something else because there's always a billion games and then find out later that the shit that really matters came in the DLC, again, for BIoWare.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Where are we thinking the setting will be? In or around the Tevinter Imperium?
Yes definitely Tevinter, and it would also make sense to see the Anderfels, or at least Weisshaupt. Something is going down with the Wardens there, and Hawke/Alistair/Loghain/Stroud are going there. They've been telling us about the current First Warden since Awakening I think, it's time we finally meet him. Also,
I wanna see them Griffons.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Yes definitely Tevinter, and it would also make sense to see the Anderfels, or at least Weisshaupt. Something is going down with the Wardens there, and Hawke/Alistair/Loghain/Stroud are going there. They've been telling us about the current First Warden since Awakening I think, it's time we finally meet him. Also,

Seconding the Anderfels. Tevinter is obvious, and that's awesome, but either give us Weisshaupt or at least make sure to bring that mystery into Tevinter somehow.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

ORIGINS IS UGLY AS HELL

alright I'm done.

I was put off on Dragon Age for the longest time because I thought the Darkspawn looked like an incredibly generic Tolkien rip off and the graphics were very dated and plain looking but when I finally gave the full series a chance I was really impressed with the lore and the games in general, for the most part.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Man Inquisition is such a beautiful game. No question I'd be less interested if it went back to Origins' ugly style. I tried to play Origins but the art style was just...ugh.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
See, this says something early on just makes me sort of mad. "They did the Bioware thing and put a bunch of major lore in the DLC" and that... is just habitually annoying. It's just like, I played your game, enjoyed it for what it was, then moved on to something else because there's always a billion games and then find out later that the shit that really matters came in the DLC, again, for BIoWare.

Whereas I absolutely love that Bioware does this. It's a big reason that I feel like they put out some of the best DLC in the business (Lair of the Shadow Broker, Legacy, Tresspasser, etc).
It's the best game though. I'm sure you can mod it these days to look better.

Eh, Origins doesn't really have an major visual overhaul mods. You can do stuff like give Gray Wardens armor from DA2 and Inquisition, give Sten horns, make Merrill and Isabel match their DA2 models, etc but nothing on a huge scale like you see with Fallout 3 and NV or anything like that.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Keeping the tradition of the old game, the protagonist is probably a new character. Part of me hope we can also choose to play as either Hawke or Inquisitor, but that sounds like too many choices to account for.

We may get to see Grey Wardens riding griffon to the war, fighting 2 Archdemons in the Deep Roads if they really want to bring the Age of Dragon to a conclusion.

I highly recommend gamermd83's channel for anything Dragon Age related! I watched ALL of her stuff when Inquisition came out. She posts lots of cool theories and explains a lot of the lore in a highly digestible way.

Thanks, I will give this a watch.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I would love for it to work out but I have my doubts.

There has been exactly one good Dragon Age game (Origins), and even that seemed at the time like it was only a template for something much better. It never materialized, and I'm not sure anyone actually realized what made it special, considering what came after.

Also, the characters have never been good, save for a few exceptions, and the romance stuff never passed for anything more than a gimmick, they should just get rid of it entirely.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind Dragon Age having color but the Frostbite engine is just so bad for what Bioware tries to do. Anthem does look better but Inquisition and Andromeda's story moments were so undercut by boring facial expressions and awkward body movements.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
when I first played DA:I at launch I didn't like it at all. I played it at hard and felt that I had do all sidequest to level up. There is a ton of bad sidquest in that game. however I actually replayed DA:I a few months ago. At first just because I was bored , but strangely enough I really liked it the second time. So much that I bought the dlc as well. Played on normal difficulty and just skipped all things that wasn't worth my time. I really enjoyed the story and I have always liked the lore.