• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 9, 2018
Good luck to him. And wishing everyone still on the project good luck.

We're rooting for you.

We also demand the return of Shale and the Architect.

But most importantly, we're rooting for you!!!

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even IF they don't close Bioware, they're at least going in a direction old devs don't like, kinda what happened with Valve but worse.

At least give us ME Remaster please...

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
For those doom sayers EA/BioWare leased a larger office space recently.

People leaving companies happens all the time. It's actually fairly common near the end of a generation as people want to move onto new projects instead of doing another gen of sequels to the series they've been working on.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It's something a BioWare associate said to Jason Schreier in irritation.

It just seems so crazy that EA would want to take another shot at an Anthem like game after the last disaster and a hyper competitive GaaS market.

Like you'd think letting Bioware what they're good at (SP party based RPGs) would be the much safer option.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
giphy.gif

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Hopefully he goes to do great things that makes him happy! :) DA4 will still sell bonkers whoever the game turns out. Got a bunch on friends that excited for the game despite they knowing (or not knowing) of the development and end product of Anthem and ME: Andromeda. The BioWare name still have a strong legacy

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, one could say the project was already dead when Gaider left and was even more dead when Laidlaw followed.

Dragon Age was theses two dudes. Plain and simple. So this departure doesn't change much in my eyes.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like the game could need some Bioware Magic™.... on steroids

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are gonna be so happy when that fucking EA/Bioware strip finally become true. It's been posted with sadistic anticipation for ten years now.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
After both Anthem's and Andromeda's issues were squarely placed on poor upper management decisions, I think it's good to see these changes happening early in DA4's dev cycle. Let some new blood take over that will genuinely care about creating a "new" Bioware now that their backs are against a wall.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I feel like after the release of Anthem, there is the conception that Bioware is not a great studio to work: to many problems, for too long and without a proper management by EA.

Leaving the ship before it sinks? (Defines my thoughts right now.)

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like after the release of Anthem, there is the conception that Bioware is not a great studio to work: to many problems, for too long and without a proper management by EA.

Leaving the ship before it sinks? (Defines my thoughts right now.)
I'd say that this particular case is more primal than that. I'd speculate that this guy has been working on DA4 for a while, and if we taking reporting seriously, the entire DA4 project has been retooled into a different game, this guy probably only stuck around long enough to help transition whatever could be salvaged from the previous incarnation of DA4.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like Mass Effect, Dragon Age's quality is all about the characters and writing first, gameplay second. Good gameplay is important (spreading DA:I's gameplay over way too many MMO-like quests was detrimental to its fun), but people can tolerate so-so gameplay if they get a good Bioware story experience out of it.

If DA really is a live service game, I fear for it big time. Bioware's reputation is in a terrible place right now. If the next DA is bad, then Bioware as a brand will go from "tragic shell of its former self" to "good lord, it's dead, it's just dead". And I think that's the generous point of view.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Would be funny if there wasn't a realistic chance of it actually becoming the truth. If this Dragon Age game flops we should definitely fear the worst.

It's inevitable that it becomes the truth. That's the whole point of the comic. EA unceremoniously pops every studio it acquires in the back of the head.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I have a feeling in the next few weeks we going to be hearing about BioWare... or at the very least they'll get renamed and become a support studio for dice or something.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
they are probably closing in a few months or it's so uncertain that these guys that can are moving on.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Won't be too long before PapEA does his thing. Can't really blame EA this time for once.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
At this point BioWare is a sinking ship and people are leaving before it gets really messy.
I hope I'm wrong though.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Eh, I'd be more worried if Weekes or Darrah left.
Same. To be fair I've heard from an ex-BioWare developer and also supported by views over on Glassdoor.com that historically BioWare's projects have always been struggling with the amount of middle management, and I think that increased under EA. I do wonder with Ben and Melo leaving so closely, and then Mike Gamble no longer being a producer at the company if they have been doing a shakeup and removing the "producer" focused structure.
And Dragon Age 4 was set up to have one of BioWare's best antagonist in quite some time.
That's why I hope they get it done. The core creative leadership on that project is still going strong, short one David Gaider but that decision was made as soon as Dragon Age Inquisition wrapped. Patrick Weekes owns Solas and the current storytelling about spirits and the fade, the old gods and that stuff. The other writers and designers involved are also veterans of the franchise. I think the game could be quite good, and I just hope it won't get ruined by people departing and EA chopping up the studio. At least get the game out and THEN accept that the studio is going down.
Anthem was not a good swan song.

EDIT: I had a thought: As long as they don't put Mac Walters on as a producer-ish figure, I think it'll be okay...!

Last edited:

Lt-47

Dec 1, 2017
It's doesn't look good. But I would be a lot more worried seeing lead go if bad management hadn't been pointed as big problem for both Andromeda and Anthem. Maybe that big shakup will actually help them survive to make a good DA we'll see.