• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
venturebeat.com

Dragon Age 4 is heading to PS5, Xbox Series X/S without cross-gen releases

Dragon Age 4 will not get a cross-gen release on PS4 and Xbox One. Instead, it's only heading to PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC.

Finally, some real good fucking food. They feel confident in Dragon Age shining on the new hardware and PC.

I for one am really excited to see how Tevinter shapes up, as Inquisition being GOTY only fuels my fire for another character-driven story in Thedas.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huzzah!

giphy.webp

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, after he said it was targeting 2023 I would've been real surprised if they still had past-gen versions planned after Dead Space got announced without them.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like we're reaching that turning point where companies finally start moving on from last gen.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they eventually do a remaster of the first three games, I recently booted up DA:I to finish a Microsoft Rewards quest and the game looked really rough on my series X.

I also wonder far out this game is, if its 2-3 years away it makes sense to target next gen only. Doesn't also preclude a port team backporting it, like in the early days of PS4/xbox when another company would take Destiny or Assassins Creed Black Flag I think and port it back.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
By the time this game actually comes out Era is going to be complaining about how it's being held back by Series S.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of expected, given it's definitely not coming before 2023. But it's good to know nonetheless. Some BioWare devs have gone on record that porting Inquisition to the PS3 and the 360 was a big hindrance to the development of the game, so this is good news.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would love a Dragon Age game that looks as good as the CG trailers for the first one

OP
OP
Ashodin

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
There was also talk about how Jedi Fallen Order allowed the DA4 team to just focus on Singleplayer rather than try to add Multi, so it's gonna be BIG.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Considering this is looking like a 2023 game, not too surprising, but welcome nonetheless.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I mean, I would hope so by the point this thing releases which is looking like 2023 at the earliest. I'm not even a cross-gen hater but at that point it's hard to imagine big productions like that still on PS4/Xbox One

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of expected, given it's definitely not coming before 2023. But it's good to know nonetheless. Some BioWare devs have gone on record that porting Inquisition to the PS3 and the 360 was a big hindrance to the development of the game, so this is good news.

Pretty sure they had to cancel a bunch of plans they showed off because of the PS3/360 versions.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I really don't see many games post 2022 being crossgen. Holiday season at the end of 2022 will be the last try to milk last gen sales. There will be more than enough PS5, Series Xbox and PC players to support next gen only games by 2023.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm surprised that so many people are relieved by this.

Dragon Age 4 isn't remotely close to being released. I always assumed it would be current gen only.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Anything else would have been absurd, but then Inquisition on PS3 / Xbox 360 was clearly a foolish move prompted by an overly cautious publisher so you never know. I replayed Inquisition earlier this year and simply can't wait for the next entry. Two more years? It'll be painful, but I'm pretty sure I'll make it.

Why you got to be so negative?

Disliking DA:I must be required to get into a private club or something. There can be no other explanation. Not that it's without issues, but there's a reason the series is still much beloved.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Thank the Maker. Their insistence on making DAI cross-gen was a massive detriment to that game overall. People can be gloom and doom about BioWare and DA4, but the decision to remove the online stuff and focus purely on singleplayer and now going full next gen only are music to my ears and very reassuring. They've still got a ton of tremendously talented people there working on the game and it sounds like they're making all the right choices, even if somewhat delayed.