• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
man, ea really killed bioware
Killing BioWare would be mercy at this point, allows those people to move on to other stuff within EA. EA will milk that BioWare name until it's literally useless, in terms of making them money. Only then will it be allowed to die, not before.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
man, ea really killed bioware

People always so eager to blame everything on publishers when devs fuck stuff up all the time. As Schreier's work made pretty clear, Bioware blew it entirely on their own with Anthem. Bungie constantly fucked up Destiny on their own, Respawn wanted to launch Titanfall 2 between Battlefield and COD, etc. Bioware's downfall is because Bioware constantly mismanages its own product development cycles.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People always so eager to blame everything on publishers when devs fuck stuff up all the time. As Schreier's work made pretty clear, Bioware blew it entirely on their own with Anthem. Bungie constantly fucked up Destiny on their own, Respawn wanted to launch Titanfall 2 between Battlefield and COD, etc. Bioware's downfall is because Bioware constantly mismanages its own product development cycles.
I mean it's not like EA has a history of killing developers

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
could you translate this post for me and the 89% of gamers who didn't play anthem

Core gameplay mechanics was there especially they nailed the flying around the map (much more fluid and satisfying than Crystal Dynamics's Iron Man) abilities were cool too the magic -while not always present- was there but they forgot the single most important aspect of a loot-based game; the loot and proper questing. No proper character build-up screen, no rewarding loot, nothing to go after you finish the weak story. No proper leveling, meta building, etc, etc. Nothing you see in these basic "menu" screenshots is in the current version of the game it was that barebones aside from some great gameplay mechanics and graphics.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Bringing in a man from Bioware Austin (the MMO studio) and head of revival for Anthem (a Destiny clone)...

Call me a pessimist if you must, but this doesn't sound good for the prospects of a full-AAA single player Dragon Age game...

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I try to be an optimistic person, but idk about this... surely they don't want DA4 to be Anthem 3.0, right... right? ;_;

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Bioware was great?

Mass Effect 1, Dragon Age: Origins....

It is becoming harder and harder.....

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I dont see any possible scenario where Anthem 2.0 doesnt end up being a giant waste of money

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
KOTOR is my favorite game of all time and Mass Effect 2 is one of the best WRPGs I've ever played and an absolute blast of constant discovery for 30+ hours.

I couldn't be more apathetic toward anything they're currently doing if I tried.

Somehow I'm thankful they're NOT working on Star Wars, and man does that just kill my soul.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
I want to keep hope alive as I love their IPs so much but everytime I think things might be ok its like the Arrested Development narrator chimes in that It wasn't.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I hope that both projects eventually result in great games. I do hope that the teams aren't killing themselves to get something out the door. Sending positivity their way.

As for Casey Hudson... I don't understand what's going on there. I wonder if his return helped matters at all? This second departure is not a good look but who are we to say anything when we know jack squat? We really shouldn't be casting judgement or slinging mud when we're just fans on the internet.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I just want a Dragon Age Origin remake. Like Demon Souls is to the original. I miss playing that game so much. I'm holding out hope for DA 4 since Origin had a huge impact on me that I still want to believe the magic is still there.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
i bought anthem last week for $9, they better not give up on it....

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Anthem still has lots of untapped potential. So I am surprised to see people being surprised EA sees that as well and wants to try making money of that.

Like there was a certain hype around Anthem and I very much think they can spark that again. Will it be easy? Hell no. Impossible? Also no.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anthem still has lots of untapped potential. So I am surprised to see people being surprised EA sees that as well and wants to try making money of that.

Like there was a certain hype around Anthem and I very much think they can spark that again. Will it be easy? Hell no. Impossible? Also no.
People like to shit on Anthem, it's just one of those things.

I would rather they put money into that untapped potential and not just yet another DA game.

Nov 3, 2017
I get the feeling that someone at EA or Bioware wants to write an anti-project-management book (what not to do) and is artificially creating examples for it.

"What not to do: you have one troubled project. Remove the project lead at a critical time and put him on another troubled project".

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
I honestly wish they would just give up on Anthem and focus everything they have right now on Dragon Age, Mass Effect and maybe supporting SWTOR (I actually have no idea how alive the game still is). I am all for supporting new franchises, but clearly at this point Anthem is more problematic than anything and the ship has sailed. Absolutely no one I know cares (or hell even remembers) the game. A comeback is just too unlikely.

Reading Casey and Mark leave is basically my final nail in the Bioware coffin. I will always pay attention to what they do but I won't have any expectation from their future projects.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
The time for a better Anthem has long since passed. Why must BioWare insist on flogging a dead horse?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like "Make or Break" for this studio. I really hope whichever of these projects that comes out first is actually good.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Bioware killed Bioware
Nah. Companies just don't last forever. Well, maybe companies and labels do, but the "band" within the company don't.

People treat the EA thing as if music groups never break up. Sometimes people just move on, doesn't have to be some malicious reason. Things just don't last forever, neither will Naughty Dog or Mario.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I think both, Anthem and Jedi: Fallen Oder were a great lesson for EA.

You can't force Gaas onto a studio that's not made for that kind of game and well made singleplayer games still sell a shit ton more than bad gaas games.

I'm sure that Dragon Age 4 will be a return to strength for BioWare.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Bioware is killing BioWare
Naw, this has been a long term decline that really set in after EA took over. I know a ton of ex-Bioware devs and they're all pretty clear that things went way south after the buyout, and while some stuck around a few more years on their legacy "Old Bioware" contracts that gave them much more generous benefits and sabbatical rights, they all eventually bailed. The newer hires under the EA contracts had it much worse from the start.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Bringing in a man from Bioware Austin (the MMO studio) and head of revival for Anthem (a Destiny clone)...

Call me a pessimist if you must, but this doesn't sound good for the prospects of a full-AAA single player Dragon Age game...
Depending on the circumstances of Darrah's and Hudson's departure, EA might be scrambling a bit and just appointed someone quickly, might not have gone in that much thought into it.