• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This relates to the big BioWare news of the day, but I felt it was big enough to warrant its own thread.

www.forbes.com

BioWare Departures Put The Lead Of The ‘Anthem’ Reboot In Charge Of ‘Dragon Age 4’

Some massive news out of BioWare as Mark Darrah and Casey Hudson have both left, and now the Anthem 2.0 head is in charge of Dragon Age 4, somehow.

Paul Tassi said:
Something rather wild appears to have just happened at BioWare, as two massive figures, Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah, have suddenly departed the studio. Mass Effect's Hudson had left once already and returned, while Darrah has been steering Dragon Age for ages now, including the upcoming Dragon Age 4.

The departure of both at the same time has now left the state of pretty much all BioWare's projects unclear, and has created some truly massive shifts that I am still trying to wrap my head around.

The biggest headline is that Christian Dailey is now being put in charge of the new Dragon Age game, someone you may not know, but the person I recognize as being in charge of the ongoing effort to reboot Anthem, posting blog post updates on the status of that every few months. Dailey has seen a meteoric, improbable rise from being in charge of Anthem's live updates after launch, to then the 2.0 reboot of the game, to now apparently leading….the highest profile project the studio has.

Until now, Dailey has been heading the development of the big Anthem update / relaunch. In Tassi's article, he speculated that Dailey being put on DA4 meant Anthem is dead, but a tweet from Dailey seems to indicate otherwise:

@ChristianDailey on Twitter said:
Thank you all for the love and enthusiasm you've shared with me re: Anthem. Wishing my friends @caseyDHudson and @bioMarkDarrah the very best. Big shoes to fill as I join the DA team. Tough decision but made easier because of the talented Anthem leadership and team in place. 🐉🤖

Personally, I'm glad to see that there may still be hope for Anthem. I hope things end up well for both games.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
there may still be hope for Anthem.

tenor.gif

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Dailey has seen a meteoric, improbable rise from being in charge of Anthem's live updates after launch, to then the 2.0 reboot of the game, to now apparently leading….the highest profile project the studio has.
I mean, good for him, but jeez, this does not inspire confidence

Who the fuck is working on Anthem 2.0 now then, the janitor?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Well uuuhh after what happened, I sure hope they have extraordinarily talented leadership there, mostly because there was none almost up until launch

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't made a solid game since ME2. I don't think that's going to change before they're inevitably shut down.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God, this sounds like the studio is just in absolute chaos at this point.

I really don't have a lot of hope for BioWare as a company anymore because their last several games have all been really bad (for me), but I would hate to hear that we're actually losing them. I hope they can pull the plane out of this tailspin before they hit the ground. The world needs some multiplatform WRPG developers now that Microsoft acquired virtually the entire rest of the scene.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hiroyuki Ito, of course.
Oh, so that's where he went

lmao
I'm sure there's enough capable people at Austin to lead the game. At least, make it better than it was at launch
I mean, in theory, yeah, if EA is willing to give it the resources it needs. Given how they didn't the first time around, I'm not hopeful. Can't imagine Austin is super pleased with being treated like shit during the development process and then being told to fix it afterwards

Is Austin still primarily working on TOR? Do we know if it's the full studio behind Anthem 2.0 or if it's being assigned 5 people and a budget of 37 cents? I assumed most of the studio is still on TOR

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Person in charge of fixing anthem is now heading up my most wanted bioware game?

..is it okay that I expect the absolute worst?

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem 2.0....... why........

I still have hope for Bioware based on the IP alone, maybe it's misplaced though.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to let Anthem die, pile all resources into Dragon Age 4

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Is Austin still primarily working on TOR? Do we know if it's the full studio behind Anthem 2.0 or if it's being assigned 5 people and a budget of 37 cents? I assumed most of the studio is still on TOR
As of this past May, there were around thirty people from BioWare Austin working on the Anthem revamp:

blog.bioware.com

May Anthem Update

Hi All, My name is Christian, and I am the Studio Director for the BioWare Austin office that is leading the production of what we are exploring NEXT for Anthem. NICE TO MEET YOU! Prior to this rol…

We are a small team – about 30-ish, earning our way forward as we set out to hit our first major milestone goals. Spoiler – this is going to be a longer process. And yes, the team is small but the whole point of this is to take our time and go back to the drawing board. And a small team gives us the agility a larger one can't afford.

I don't think we know how many are working on it now, but I can't imagine it's a lot of people.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the Anthem update turns out well. I played it last year, and really enjoyed it.
Yeah. If they can iron out the technical issues, make the progression feel better / more engaging, and work on a steady stream of content, I think it'll be a very solid game. Playing it last year disappointed me, but only because I enjoyed the moment-to-moment gameplay a heck of a lot... it was just everything else that bogged it down. I know Anthem is just a joke to a lot of people now, but I still really feel that it can be a great game-- if it makes it out of this shakeup.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
As of this past May, there were around thirty people from BioWare Austin working on the Anthem revamp:

blog.bioware.com

May Anthem Update

Hi All, My name is Christian, and I am the Studio Director for the BioWare Austin office that is leading the production of what we are exploring NEXT for Anthem. NICE TO MEET YOU! Prior to this rol…

I don't think we know how many are working on it now, but I can't imagine it's a lot of people.
That's more than I expected.

I mean, it's not like I want it (or any game, for that matter) to fail, but I don't know how long EA is gonna allow a team to work on a revamp that has little profit incentive. It could be decent if they give it the time and resources it needs, but this is EA we're talking about

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Has Dailey worked on anything else as a lead or director besides Anthem? Because the anthem pull doesn't inspire confidence

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I assume Christian Dailey is from Bioware Austin ?

Anyone playing The Old Republic (I assume he works on this before) familiar with him?

Sep 7, 2020
This signals bad news for Anthem. It already was facing an uphill battle. I hope this doesn't impact Mass Effect and Dragon Age 4 too much.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should take the L on Anthem. Unlike A Realm Reborn, there's not a major brand to salvage and BioWare is just doubling down on their successful IPs otherwise.

Sep 7, 2020
I think Shinobi does have some interesting words regarding the status of Bioware on his Twitter feed. I think his optimism is a great quality to have in today's gaming space. I do think that Anthem ultimately is going to get scrapped due to the massive upswing the game would need to take in order to bring it back. I think the ship has sailed on the possibility of a huge revival. I am also concerned about Mass Effect and DA4 but maybe not as much. I hope that things stabilize there but who knows.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Shinobi does have some interesting words regarding the status of Bioware on his Twitter feed. I think his optimism is a great quality to have in today's gaming space. I do think that Anthem ultimately is going to get scrapped due to the massive upswing the game would need to take in order to bring it back. I think the ship has sailed on the possibility of a huge revival. I am also concerned about Mass Effect and DA4 but maybe not as much. I hope that things stabilize there but who knows.
All these projects are still happening, and all of them very active.