• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Do we know if the Pokemon Go $3 billion figure includes the revenue they get from sponsored Pokestops and deals like that? If it's just from people buying items in-game then that's insane.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
The quality of the Waifus and Husbandos are all subpar.

On a serious note the gameplay is far from interesting.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Stopped playing this one pretty quickly, it just wasn't fun for me :S

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Hard to monetize a game where if you're good enough, you can play the entire game for free. Multiplayer is also free so there's not much obligation to spend. Unless you really like the gacha.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
To be honest the only surprising result of Nintendo's mobile ventures remains with Pokemon Go. I thought that the idea was amazing for the IP but I didn't expect to become such a huge hit to be top 10 worlwide about every month.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
when I played it the first thing I tought was that kinda remembered me Puzzle Fighter...

Ppl have enought with Candy Crush random unskilled gameplay to care about this kind of games anymore.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fun time killer but everything that makes the game interesting is included without having to pay. The paid utility options are extravagantly priced.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Had to do some traveling as a passenger today and downloaded it to give it a try. It's ok... picked Bowser as my Dr

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Low budget mobile Mario puzzler not setting the world on fire in 2019 shouldnt surprise anyone.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I still have it but haven't gone back to play it in weeks. There's no real incentive to play as it feels unrewarding with single player and the rng aspects of the game are broken to the point where you can be completely screwed into a guaranteed loss. The game needed a little more play testing and time in the cooker.

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit, those Pokémon Go numbers are absolute insanity. How the fuck is it still doing so well?
All the best to Nintendo, though. I'm really enjoying FE:H and Pokémon Masters.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
To me at least, Dragalia Lost has been their best mobile game (seeing as how I'm a weeb). That ratio of installs to revenue is crazy. Imagine if more people gave it a shot. The gameplay and sense of progression is actually really good.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
All of Nintendo's efforts on mobile are awful. Animal Crossing was so perfectly designed to work on phones and they turned it into an endless, dull grind without any of the real games charm.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Where the clowns at from the other thread saying it was doing really well?

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I'm not too surprised. I downloaded and played it day 1, got pretty bored around level 20 or so and never touched it again. It just didn't really hook me, and the game just felt painfully slow.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the game actually any fun? I feel like the IP itself has never been all that popular. Not sure why they bothered.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I was playing it daily for the first few weeks, but after being victimized by the RNG crap on a few levels and having all of my friends drop off, I put it down last week and probably won't go back to it.

I did the same with Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp last week as well. I got bored with it and was sitting on a stockpile of like 5 million bells and nothing I wanted to spend them on. I'm hoping Nintendo will integrate with New Horizons somehow and let me bring over some of my collected goodies.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It was the first game I didn't have fun and didn't have any hope of having fun at any point.

twothunder

Feb 10, 2018
can't say i'm surprised.
seen very little talk about the game and frankly. Dr. Mario doesn't seem the most popular mario series anymore
will be interesting to see how mario kart will do

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I personally predict Mario Kart won't do well either. Nintendo isn't bringing their A game to mobile, and it really shows.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Make a mobile game for the well remembered if not beloved Dr. Mario that has almost nothing in common with the original. It's like if you made Tetris a match 3 game. It's just not right.

Technoxtic

Aug 30, 2019
I actually am still playing this one.

It's a fun little puzzle game for when I'm bored or in the bathroom for extended periods of time lmao.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
All of Nintendo's efforts on mobile are awful. Animal Crossing was so perfectly designed to work on phones and they turned it into an endless, dull grind without any of the real games charm.
Dragalia Lost is great (and very free-to-play friendly), my main takeaway from this is that I'm glad it's doing well. Maybe not as well as Cygames would like(?) but hopefully good enough for Nintendo to keep it going for a while.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I still play it every now and then. The game is fun.

I haven't played the original game, what's the gameplay difference between the original and this? All I know is that they look similar but instead of capsules floating down, they float upward.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I always wondered how can a mobile game be a bomb? Like, really, how much could've Dr. Mario World have cost to Nintendo to produce? I'm ignorant on the matter, but by the looks of it, 50k downloads would be enough to break even probably lol.
OK maybe I'm exaggerating, but 1.4 million revenue... OK, it's the worst performing one, but is it, like, bad? How can it be bad?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, those Pokémon Go numbers are absolute insanity. How the fuck is it still doing so well?

A lot of people consider Pokemon Go to be the definitive Pokemon experience. They care more about their Pokemon in Go than in the actual games. Collecting, trading, shinies, special event Pokemon, special move Pokemon, high IV Pokemon, etc. Just check out /r/TheSilphRoad to see how massive the community is that takes this game seriously.

Go has a ton of events that take place throughout a given month. Community Days, special Legendary raids, EX raids, Special/Daily Research, shiny events, etc. The game feels really alive.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I've played Dr. Mario World more than any other mobile game. I haven't play many though. I average maybe 15 min a day since early August. I play a couple levels then put it down.

I haven't put a dime into it though and as of today I'm stuck as level 160. I was surprised how far I could get without paying anything.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Dragalia Lost has been carried hard by Cygames. Nintendo does jack for the game, barely a twitter post if that and no presence on the west other than their brand name. They likely gimped it considering the removed guild wars with the datamined content that never made it into the game.

That interview where they claimed they didn't want to make money and people praised Nintendo for not being "greedy" when they have games with awful monetization with Dr. Mario and the upcoming Mario Kart is funny.

Yeah let's see how they react when they shut down games because they can't bring money.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Dr. Mario World is a really fun game, but it has very little of actual Dr. Mario in it. It's a whole different beast.

It feels years too late to the niche it's trying to fill, tbh.

Edit: The revenue/installs ratio for Dragalia Lost really is fucking insane. Nintendo should be fucking ashamed for not pushing that game hard. It's by far their best mobile offering and it's not even close.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Mario was never a good puzzle game and was carried by the Mario brand, while the better Nintendo puzzle franchise, Panel de Pon/Puzzle League, doesn't get the love it deserves.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
As others have said, there's absolutely no need to spend money on this game. Now that they've squashed the infuriating bugs, it's actually a decent, little distraction.

rarewolf

Feb 7, 2019
What a shame. The core vs. gameplay at a high level (2,000+ rank) is some of the best puzzle gameplay ever made IMO. I'm still a daily player. Chomping at the bit for new puzzles, too. But no, I haven't spent a dollar (not that I ever do on mobile games).

I really don't understand all the hate it's gotten, it seems as if people haven't given it much of chance.

With that said, it's still not on the level of Puzzle Fighter iOS that was sadly discontinued 6 months or so after release. RIP

:(

Last edited:

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game sucks and it's monetization is trash. Perhaps this should ring to all out there that even companies you love can release a shitty game.