• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Do Twitch even have to give a reason?

Yeah they should be giving him a solid reason seeing as he had an exclusive contract and was easily in the top 5 content creators on the platform (in terms of viewership and money, not necessarily quality). If you are cancelling a contract like that they definitely owe you a reason. Otherwise why even have a contract to guarantee yourself anything?

I also feel like Doc is playing dumb a bit too. I bet he has a decent enough idea but wants to hear it from Twitch directly and hasn't yet.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just looked up this guy. WTF. I really do not understand streaming culture. He seems like a total douchebag. Not really surprised he got banned. Why do people watch shit like this guy?

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah slasher loves doing that shit. But he usually does have scoops

Just feels very tabloid-y to me. "Heheheeee, I know the secret!! Follow me on social media or watch my stream and you'll be the first to know!! ;) ;)"

Maybe... but then pretty much everyone went back to Twitch anyways.
Ninja and Shroud, the two who most are talking about, haven't gone to any platform yet. Gothalion went to Facebook Gaming.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Ninja and Shroud, the two who most are talking about, haven't gone to any platform yet. Gothalion went to Facebook Gaming.

Ninja and Shroud are set for few lifetimes and generations.

Goth most likely took FB deal because starting over on Twitch could be extremely hard for him, so guaranteed FB cash is good business choice.

All small and mid tier streamers from Mixer are flocking to Twitch or abandoning streaming.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just looked up this guy. WTF. I really do not understand streaming culture. He seems like a total douchebag. Not really surprised he got banned. Why do people watch shit like this guy?

Can't speak for others here, I agree that he seems a total douche. I don't know how much of that is the character and how much is the man behind the character but he's done some questionable shit in the past for sure...

What I will say is that I give him a lot of props for offering something completely unique stream wise and in leagues above any other streamer I've seen in terms of production value. His streams are always entertaining too. I figure that's why a lot watch him.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft and their infinite money couldn't make it happen with Mixer, ther eis no chance in absolute hell a handful of high-profile streamers can make it work. That rumor is absolute bogus.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
If he was moving to a new platform Slasher would have leaked it. That's not important or sensitive.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people think Spotify wants to get into game streaming suddenly? Post something besides this doc situation.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
My immediate reaction when reading almost anything on the internet is pure skepticism and this is ringing alarm bells. His last stream, with the worried attitude and the double-take at the end, just came across as SUPER fake. This tweet in the OP is so vague there's almost no reason to have posted it, and seems like he just wants attention.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Makes the most sense. A random account that is said to be launching a new streaming platform with information releasing on Monday that's followed by a bunch of streamers and devs. There was the Doc graphic that said "Prepare for the 29th" which is Monday. Other streamers seem to be hinting at something.

I know 4chan is not a valid source so no one here has to believe it but its become to much of a coincidence:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Makes the most sense. A random account that is said to be launching a new streaming platform with information releasing on Monday that's followed by a bunch of streamers and devs. There was the Doc graphic that said "Prepare for the 29th" which is Monday. Other streamers seem to be hinting at something.

I know 4chan is not a valid source so no one here has to believe it but its become to much of a coincidence:

Spotify is not under Google. And Google already has a streaming platform which is moneyhatting streamers called... Youtube Gaming.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that tweet from Courage indicates absolutely nothing. i dont understand

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people think Spotify wants to get into game streaming suddenly? Post something besides this doc situation.
This will be Google's attempt of basically rebranding YouTube Gaming into its own platform. My theory with Spotify is that all partners on the service would be granted a music license to avoid DMCA as long as Spotify is being used/that song is in Spotify.

Edit:
My intitial thoughts was that Google owned Spotify but that doesn't seem to be the case. I still think there is a partnership there

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Spotify is owned by Google. This will be Google's attempt of basically rebranding YouTube Gaming into its own platform. My theory with Spotify is that all partners on the service would be granted a music license to avoid DMCA as long as Spotify is being used/that song is in Spotify.
Except the part of Spotify not being owned by Google.
And the whole "partners on Spotify will gran music license" is a bit of a LOL taking into account the TOS of Spotify dont allow that.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
All I can say on the YouTube Gaming rumor is I've been streaming on YT during the last few weeks doing a development stream with a small audience, and a week ago randomly YT Streaming got a ton of new features it didn't have before. It literally happened in the middle of one of my streams.

If the rest of that has any merit? I have doubts, but I can say YouTube's own streaming service got a random big feature update about a week ago. And weirdly they haven't really talked much about it, officially announced the new features, nor has this been noticed by most. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been streaming on it recently.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017

Besides the Spotify BS, these streamers can't keep a secret. All this would be out in the open by now.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
This whole Brime thing is... Bizarre.

On one hand, 90% of that obviously fake 4Chan post is invalidated by the fact that Google Does Not Own Spotify.

On the other hand, for some reason, the Brime Twitter account is being Followed (Not Following, Followed by) several High-Profile streamers, including DrD and Ninja.

Nope, forget that, it's all BS. I misread the way that Twitter page was formatted.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Good lord, talk about "reading tea leaves" with that tweet from Courage. Some of y'all need to just... not read into things so much 😂😂

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
So much this. People online think Ninja actually cares he was streaming to a couple of thousand people on Mixer down from ~25k before he left Twitch. The guy got between $30-$50 million from MS alone ignoring all his sponsors and other marketing / appearance deals. And after it all he'll probably end up back at Twitch.

Streaming services seem to have become the new system wars online.

The argument is that it would be hard to convince investors to finance a new competing streaming service, especially considering Mixer has demonstrated for the past few years that it's not easy to do. Even YouTube Gaming and Facebook Gaming aren't that successful. This is why the "he's moving to a competing service!" story doesn't seem likely.

He also wouldn't be permabanned for launching a competitor.

It's not about whether a streamer should sign a contract or not.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
The only way a competing streaming site makes sense is if it's something different than Twitch. Maybe a curated service or something. I dont see why the big streamers(who know perfectly well that you arent going to make a direct competitor to Twitch) would risk their necks on just making Mixer 2, especially when there is still the chance of Twitch moneyhatting them if Facebook or Youtube ever starts actually gaining ground(on top of the truckloads of money they will make from normal Twitch streaming)

this all still doesnt mesh with the ominous wording around the reasoning for Docs ban from those who claim to know, although I'm not gonna be surprised if that winds up being a bad game of telephone

Jun 1, 2018
One of the worst things is those twitter people saying "big things are coming, you are not ready" pretending to be an insider and knowing everything whats going on

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.
If anything, these sites would pay a bit for a lot of small and medium streamers. Grow out their content.

Thats how they grow their market share.

Ironically enough, Mixer did that too. They bought out tons of smaller streamers like Renee about a year before they tried their hand at the big names. Didn't work, either.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
What if it's all just bullshit PR stuff? That includes even his weird sign off from his last stream.

That would only make sense as a possibility if he weren't actually permabanned. But even then, would seem like a pretty audacious marketing strategy in the current climate where everybody is immediately going to think the worst happened.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically enough, Mixer did that too. They bought out tons of smaller streamers like Renee about a year before they tried their hand at the big names. Didn't work, either.
I think one approach for a new platform would be to straight up get the few biggest streamers from one or two entire section like just chatting, irl, a certain popular game. That way it becomes the new home for those sections and grows from there to other areas.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.digitalmusicnews.com

Google/Alphabet Acquiring Spotify In $43.4 Billion Cash, Equity Deal

Google/Alphabet is announcing its acquisition of Spotify in a deal valued at $43.4 billion in cash and equity. The acquisition will be signed on Wednesday.

People are linking this article here as proof that Google/Alphabet are acquiring Spotify. I just want to make everyone aware that this is an April Fools article from 2019. The link at the end of the article literally directs you to the Wikipedia page for April 1st.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
That would only make sense as a possibility if he weren't actually permabanned. But even then, would seem like a pretty audacious marketing strategy in the current climate where everybody is immediately going to think the worst happened.

I don't mean for Twitch, I mean for him. If he was trying to strike a deal on his own and Twitter found out and canceled his contract, which makes perfect sense especially considering his past transgressions. Look at how much attention he's getting right now, who cares if it's negative if I'm a few days the "truth" comes out and it's that he's going to some new platform or something.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Wow these threads are really revealing how easily unfounded rumors can spread even on a community like ResetEra. Sometimes if you don't know something it's better to just not say anything instead of making stuff up or spreading unsourced 4chan and twitter rumors...

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are like only 6-7 streamers that have a twitch exclusivity contract, he was one of them. So yea they have to give a reason.
Every single Twitch Partner has to sign an exlusivity deal with Twitch. So it's not just 6-7 streamers but more in the range of 30000 to 40000.

Chris_Rivera

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems clear to me it's at least partly based on his covid/conspiracist misinformation bullshit. I'm sure they told him to stfu about it and he went and said something again. It may have been an indirect comment, so I can see twitch providing a generic reason for this and doc playing dumb. They don't want a big streamer spouting that shit and politicizing the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.