• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you're upset about this for other reasons than what he actually did then, which is fine you do you.

Him doing what he did, and not suffering any consequences for it, directly help exacerbate the issues that user is talking about. They are directly linked.

Link me some cases of a man or woman live streaming from a public bathroom and the punishments dealt out in their personal and work lives, so we can know what SHOULD be the punishment. He did NOT escape consequences, Twitch streamers live off of their subscriber counts.. not having a channel for 2 weeks is the equivalent of these guys losing tens of thousands of dollars instantly.

*rolls eyes* Yeah I'll just go google "person fired for filming in toilet" and search through the thousands of articles that deals with creeps setting up hidden camera to film women taking a shit, so I can try and prove you wrong. Totally what I'm about to spend my afternoon doing.

And please for the love of god stop pretending like these numbers your making up is of any consequences to a person like Disrespect. It might be a lot of money for you and me, but it obviously isn't for him. And any money he lost, he probably made back in donations already.

Last edited:

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Him doing what he did, and not suffering any consequences for it, directly help exacerbate the issues that user is talking about. They are directly linked.
For fun answer me this: If you fuck up badly at your job today, and your employer just took 25% of your salary away for the year, but you get to come back to work in a month, would you consider yourself getting away with zero consequences? I think people just don't understand how Twitch subs work.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
For fun answer me this: If you fuck up badly at your job today, and your employer just took 25% of your salary away for the year, but you get to come back to work in a month, would you consider yourself getting away with zero consequences? I think people just don't understand how Twitch subs work.

25% salary of the year? Twitch "took away" 2 weeks of salary of the 52 weeks.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
People keep saying he's learned his lesson and offer no proof. On the other side we have him in other channels making jokes about it.

Dude broke the law and has shown zero remorse. Why is it so many people come out to bat for these shitty people? Are they imagining one day that they'll have this type of money or something?

Well he did put out a "sorry" video so zero remorse is wrong.

If you believed the words himself that is another story, if you don't would be intresting to hear what he need to do to atone himself.

Oct 27, 2017
Link me some cases of a man or woman live streaming from a public bathroom and the punishments dealt out in their personal and work lives, so we can know what SHOULD be the punishment. He did NOT escape consequences, Twitch streamers live off of their subscriber counts.. not having a channel for 2 weeks is the equivalent of these guys losing tens of thousands of dollars instantly.

At this point this is probably chump change for him. I assume most big streamers also have laid aside some money specifically for the case their channels get put down suddenly..

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fun answer - That's not what happened to dr disrespect, so not sure why you're offering this as the premise. But fucking yes, if I earned what he does I would be absolutely laughing my ass off that I was able to get away with insane shit like this for that kind of "punishment" over getting fired like any normal person would have been.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So this is a common tactic when arguing, propose a hypothetical which in no way represents the discussion, and conclude something based on that. If I did what DrDisrespect did, I would be fired from my position. No question.

Here's a counterpoint: https://www.riftherald.com/culture/2018/1/8/16865894/lol-tyler1-twitch-first-stream-unbanned

Tyler1 a toxic League of Legends streamer seems to have been rewarded for his time away. The problem that you are ignoring is the atmosphere around Twitch. There is a cult of personality. Then there's the fact that DrDisrespect is already incredibly rich by modern standards and we're supposed to believe two weeks is going to do something?

Well he did put out a "sorry" video so zero remorse is wrong.

If you believed the words himself that is another story, if you don't would be intresting to hear what he need to do to atone himself.

I don't believe anything DrDisrespect says because he's all in character. He himself always argues this.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
So this is a common tactic when arguing, propose a hypothetical which in no way represents the discussion, and conclude something based on that. If I did what DrDisrespect did, I would be fired from my position. No question.
Trust me I know, I've responded to like 5 people telling me how they'd be fired from their jobs if they did what he did. It has no relevance to Dr Disrespect's situation at all.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
25%? Where you getting your figures from..

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trust me I know, I've responded to like 5 people telling me how they'd be fired from their jobs if they did what he did. It has no relevance to Dr Disrespect's situation at all.

Right and what you're failing to see, while arguing that you understand Twitch culture around subscriptions, is that if he were a streamer that made Amazon/Twitch a lot less money, he'd be permed. The selective enforcement of the rules based on money is frankly gross. The cult of personality which makes people like yourself stan for him is the reason why Twitch does this!

Hello, no follow-up? I genuinely want a suggestion from you as to what forum I should be posting on instead.

The amount of people that use any random thread to throw out ERA hivemind bashing is pretty damn irritating. Imagine doing it in a thread about a dude filming people in a bathroom. It really just doesn't make any logical sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. Of all the people out there and people are really trying to defend Dr Disrespect lmao. It's insane. There are so many better streamers who aren't assholes.

But the whole appeal of the Slick Daddy is that he IS the asshole. Whether he is an actual asshole, or just the persona, that is why he is popular.

He built the persona and followers by streaming. He isn't a progamer, not the challenger, he isn't educational - just entertainment based on his video edits, commentary and above average gameplay skills.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the whole appeal of the Slick Daddy is that he IS the asshole. Whether he is an actual asshole, or just the persona, that is why he is popular.

He built the persona and followers by streaming. He isn't a progamer, not the challenger, he isn't educational - just entertainment based on his video edits, commentary and above average gameplay skills.

Slick Daddy? Please tell me that you typed that with irony.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
25%? Where you getting your figures from..
Nowhere, its not relevant to Dr Disrespect, it was a hypothetical cuz the guy said Dr Disrespect suffered "zero consequences." 'Is money of no consequence?' was the point I was attempting to make. Not a great example I know.

Right and what you're failing to see, while arguing that you understand Twitch culture around subscriptions, is that if he were a streamer that made Amazon/Twitch a lot less money, he'd be permed. The selective enforcement of the rules based on money is frankly gross. The cult of personality which makes people like yourself stan for him is the reason why Twitch does this!
I don't know of any cases where smaller streamers were banned permanently for doing the same thing, never heard of anything like this personally.

And I don't "stan" anyone. I just think the outrage over this is ... outrageous :D

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I dont agree that he should have been permanently banned, but I don't think the punishment was harsh enough either. 2 weeks seems really weak.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Being as people have already been in his chat since it came back online, without him being live, just to give him subs and gifted subs, I don't think this comparison necessarily holds up. Using your analogy (how you got 25% from 2 weeks is a different conversation, but I'll use it), It's like me being docked 25% of my wages only for the company to give me a 35% pay rise when I got back.

I'm on the side of he fucked up, he knows he fucked up, it was an error in an attempt at "comedy". I think the ban was appropriate, but don't think he should suffer further repercussions. Financially he's probably better off after the whole ordeal.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I dont agree that he should have been permanently banned, but I don't think the punishment was harsh enough either. 2 weeks seems really weak.
A voice of reason in a sea of hyperbole.

Being as people have already been in his chat since it came back online, without him being live, just to give him subs and gifted subs, I don't think this comparison necessarily holds up. Using your analogy (how you got 25% from 2 weeks is a different conversation, but I'll use it), It's like me being docked 25% of my wages only for the company to give me a 35% pay rise when I got back.

I'm on the side of he fucked up, he knows he fucked up, it was an error in an attempt at "comedy". I think the ban was appropriate, but don't think he should suffer further repercussions. Financially he's probably better off after the whole ordeal.
Ya the job example was more of me questioning that one particular dude's exclamation that Dr Disrespect "suffered zero consequences." I'm not sure how losing tons of money is "zero consequence." Bad Example I came up with, I know.

Mar 29, 2018
I think ERA really represents a minority vocal (just like elections). We all dislike something/someone, the masses like them instead. We all wish DrDisrespect would be banned forever, but out there, a majority of gamers like him and can't wait for him to be unbanned. I think the ban did made him even more famous now. Even without going live.. his chat is going nuts now..
Yup. True of basically every opinion on Era, from games to movies to politics. We're fringe, folks.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nowhere, its not relevant to Dr Disrespect, it was a hypothetical cuz the guy said Dr Disrespect suffered "zero consequences." 'Is money of no consequence?' was the point I was attempting to make. Not a great example I know.

It's not clear that he's going to suffer any repercussions because as I edited in my previous post to you, there were other streamers who were banned and came back and got sub after sub after sub.

I don't know of any cases where smaller streamers were banned permanently for doing the same thing, never heard of anything like this personally.

And I don't "stan" anyone. I just think the outrage over this is ... outrageous :D

You haven't explained why. In this thread people have demonstrated even outside this situation, DrDisrespect is a racist dumb fuck. Hell I remember when he defended Ninja when the whole n word thing came out. Meanwhile the real people should be giving their money to (if they need to at all) are people like ProfessorBroman and KingGothalion who put on a charity event that is going to result in StJude getting fucking millions.

You are absolutely stanning for him in this thread. You are ignoring any points that would result in any reflection in an urge to dissemble, deflect and otherwise distract. Your 25% figure is a perfect example of this.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Here's a counterpoint: https://www.riftherald.com/culture/2018/1/8/16865894/lol-tyler1-twitch-first-stream-unbanned

Tyler1 a toxic League of Legends streamer seems to have been rewarded for his time away. The problem that you are ignoring is the atmosphere around Twitch. There is a cult of personality. Then there's the fact that DrDisrespect is already incredibly rich by modern standards and we're supposed to believe two weeks is going to do something?

I don't believe anything DrDisrespect says because he's all in character. He himself always argues this.

But then it would be impossible for him to atone according to you then?

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
No, its a loud Mob, on this forum alone, nothing will come of this and by next week it'll not be mentioned again

Still, I wonder if there are any police charges coming? Its a felony isn't it?
I don't think there will be any due to lack of intent. If law do get involved it'll most likely be making sure any videos are removed and a warning, a more professional version of "Don't be a fucking idiot in future. Don't film in toilets you dickhead".

Oct 25, 2017
You edited your comment and added a question after I initially read it.

I wouldn't recommend being part of any forum, if you have concerns over toxic communities emerging out of them.
Fair enough.

Well, I enjoy discussions and there's a difference between heated debate (which I love) and toxic community behavior a la many popular streamers. I'm not talking about politeness. If you've read any of my posts on here you would know that I couldn't give less of a shit about tone. Doing bizarre stunts that invade people's privacy, making bigoted comments that are later parroted by your viewers for years on end and spread throughout the internet and glorifying literally being an idiot is something else entirely. Equating that to rude posts on a forum is absurd and you know it.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. Of all the people out there and people are really trying to defend Dr Disrespect lmao. It's insane. There are so many better streamers who aren't assholes.
Might have something to do with the fact that we know that the private person is different from his streaming persona. I guess that Guy Beahm is still one of the more liked people that became famous in the gaming industry. Also everyone's tastes are different in regards of entertaining streamers I guess.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might have something to do with the fact that we know that the private person is different from his streaming persona. I guess that Guy Beahm is still one of the more liked people that became famous in the gaming industry. Also everyone's tastes are different in regards of entertaining streamers I guess.

People use this defense for him a lot. He is different in private. And then we see that mess he made of his private life too and I'm left to conclude, he isn't. He just uses the schtick as a way to get away with things other people can't.

Ah I think I missunderstood the answer.

As in, he was not himself but as Dr, correct?

As seen above, people defend him by saying he's entertainment and shouldn't be taken seriously. I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't hide behind the schtick and then come out whenever it's prudent to be 'real'.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
People use this defense for him a lot. He is different in private. And then we see that mess he made of his private life too and I'm left to conclude, he isn't. He just uses the schtick as a way to get away with things other people can't.

As seen above, people defend him by saying he's entertainment and shouldn't be taken seriously. I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't hide behind the schtick and then come out whenever it's prudent to be 'real'.

Yes, 110% agree on that.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I can't even imagine representing my company by filming a child in a public washroom and still being allowed to represent that company 2 weeks later. Absolutely disgusting.

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
I can't even imagine representing my company by filming a child in a public washroom and still being allowed to represent that company 2 weeks later. Absolutely disgusting.

It's weird.

Twitch unbans him, none of his sponsors ditch him and thousands of fans flood back to his chat the second it goes back up.

It's almost as if everyone realized there was no malicious intent on Doc's part and it was just a joke that went bad and it was a mistake.

SoldToIna

Banned
Jun 5, 2019
User Banned (permanent): dismissing racism, account in junior phase
You lot alright with DrDisrespect's racism? Just curious.
He's a character. It's no different to Keith Lemon on ITV2 or Stephen Colbert when he was on Comedy Central, except the latter actually made out that was his personality in real life. The difference here is it's on a stream.

The real guy is way more chilled out. Whilst it doesn't exclude him from being racist, he has a mixed race wife and daughter, where as the character doesn't.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
He's a character. It's no different to Keith Lemon on ITV2 or Stephen Colbert when he was on Comedy Central, except the latter actually made out that was his personality in real life. The difference here is it's on a stream.

The real guy is way more chilled out. Whilst it doesn't exclude him from being racist, he has a mixed race wife and daughter, where as the character doesn't.

All of this is wow.