• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This woman got on tv and implied trump is a genius who understands all the science. She also lied about that google partnership and supported opening too early

don't believe her revisionist BS. I am sure she did think she could do more good from within Trumps inner circle but that really just makes her naive on top of it all

Arctic_Fever

Aug 6, 2018
Just to contrast for those who aren't sure why people don't sympathize much with Birx

Fauci: "It isn't like I took any pleasure in contradicting the president ...I made a decision that I just had to. Otherwise I would be compromising my own integrity ...If I didn't speak up, it would be almost tacit approval that what he was saying was OK."

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So she should have just done what Fauci did?
How would that have changed anything?
All it would have done is sped up drumpf finding another puppet like Atlas.

The difference is that everyone knew that Atlas was a hack. Birx was a respected doctor who went on TV and vouched for how serious Trump was taking the virus. This helped no one other than Trump. She was publicly approving of what he was doing and saying. It doesn't matter what she may have been doing behind the scenes.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Remember, Birx wasn't just complicit in her silence. She actively tried to lend credibility to the Trump admin's strategy and claims. She is a tremendous fuck up who bears much responsibility for the nearly half a million deaths.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that everyone knew that Atlas was a hack. Birx was a respected doctor who went on TV and vouched for how serious Trump was taking the virus. This helped no one other than Trump. She was publicly approving of what he was doing and saying. It doesn't matter what she may have been doing behind the scenes.
I'm assuming
1. that Birx knows she fucked up badly by enabling drumpf
2. that her stances changed because the White House was not getting her to do any media

My argument is invalid if she doesn't care she fucked up or she's still onboard with drumpf.

So assuming she knew she fucked up badly and still wanted to help, what was she supposed to do at that point?
She completely invalidated her public trust and with the media and flip-flopping at that point would just make it even worse.
Could she have done anything after she enabled drumpf to make the situation any better?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming
2. that her stances changed because the White House was not getting her to do any media

My argument is invalid if she doesn't care she fucked up or she's still onboard with drumpf.

So assuming she knew she fucked up badly and still wanted to help, what was she supposed to do at that point?
She completely invalidated her public trust and with the media and flip-flopping at that point would just make it even worse.
Could she have done anything after she enabled drumpf to make the situation any better?

The point we're trying to make is that she should've never enabled him in the first place. As a doctor she had a choice between placating Trump and being honest with people. It's nice that she's saying that he was doing BS now, but it doesn't do anymore good than those who resigned from his cabinet after he lost and incited a terrorist attack on the Capitol.

Oct 25, 2017
Fauci was there too. He didn't speak lies. No excuses.
Him and his family also need bodyguards now and are still receiving death threats. I'm not saying I'm a fan of Birx, but she may have had legitimate fear for her life from Trump's savage base, and I can't say that most of the people responding "why didn't she speak up?!" wouldn't have done the same.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm assuming

Maybe not make excuses for him after suggesting people inject bleach. She was an enabler.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
She bolstered Trumps lies and lent them credibility in the same breathe. Simply no place for this, she failed as a human being. You lose your integrity after this.

Jan 18, 2018
Him and his family also need bodyguards now and are still receiving death threats. I'm not saying I'm a fan of Birx, but she may have had legitimate fear for her life from Trump's savage base, and I can't say that most of the people responding "why didn't she speak up?!" wouldn't have done the same.
Yeah, y'all wonder why she didn't speak up but I'm starting to wonder if y'all knew just how corrupt this man was. Trump's base threatened the life of everyone that didn't do what he wanted. Maybe that's why? I mean, I get it. It's fun to dogpile and hate on people but damn. You sit here and ask why somebody would listen to trump if they didn't want to and there's a topic about the threats on Fauci's family's life. Y'all hate on this woman for being a coward but weren't y'all just talking about escaping America if Trump won?
I'm not saying she's blameless or excused but damn. It's not hard to see.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, y'all wonder why she didn't speak up but I'm starting to wonder if y'all knew just how corrupt this man was. Trump's base threatened the life of everyone that didn't do what he wanted. Maybe that's why? I mean, I get it. It's fun to dogpile and hate on people but damn. You sit here and ask why somebody would listen to trump if they didn't want to and there's a topic about the threats on Fauci's family's life. Y'all hate on this woman for being a coward but weren't y'all just talking about escaping America if Trump won?
Nah, she was a fucking coward. Fuck her, and fuck anyone trying to make bullshit excuses for her.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Unless she comes out and says that and provides visible evidence I'm not going to provide an excuse for her conduct.

And besides it's not like Dems are without their own threats, and somehow they manage to avoid completely burying the lede like her.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I see what most of you are saying, though if she spoke up sooner we would have gotten Dr. Atlas sooner. Definitely could have been worse. She didn't have the reputation like Fauci to resist and not be fired

Having said that, she should have resisted more, especially after Atlas was already in power.

I don't think anyone was listening to her seriously that wasn't already listening to Fauci.
Pretty much how I feel. She (incorrectly) beleived that not pushing back too hard would at least keep her in the room so she could still give sound scientific advice.

Given Trump hired Atlas and then completely ignored her anyhow, it was obviously the wrong plan and she should have seen Trump's future actions from a mile away given his history.

I still appreciate her working on a local level once she realized she had no input any more, but that should have been her plan months earlier.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't she speak up when she was working there? Why did she stay quiet for so long if she saw this going on?

My guess: she waited until Trump was out of the White House and off Twitter. She likely saw what happened to Dr Fauci with his receiving death threats because of Trump's anger.

I imagine if she brought up the graphs, Trump would hurumphed at it and then proceed to attack her on Twitter - "Dr Birx doesn't know what she's talking about!"and then unleashing his supporters on her. Which may include the death threats and calling her personal phone like they did to Dr Fauci.

Cowardly act of self preservation and especially cowardly given that thousands of people died to Trump administration's actions, so there isn't an excuse for her to not say something at the time.

It's amazing something like a pandemic was politicized by Trump and a non partisan doctor like Dr Birx did that to avoid any actual danger, but here we are.

EDIT: I was reminded that she said that Trump could interpret data well which is bullshit. The guy can't fucking read. She was trying to stroke his ego and people died because of her attempt to do so.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I can understand that point.

I'm actually pretty familar with Dr. Birx approach, following the task force recommendations pretty closely.

Basically, Fauci was more of a cautious empiricist, a true scientist. Dr. Birx was an overreliance on her data based models. To be fair, Fauci wasn't anti-models. He just saw them as a tool, along with real world data. Fauci's cautious approach won over in the end and it looks we've sadly surpassed our target number of 250k deaths as best case scenario.

But it will be one of those historic things. Fauci stuck to his guns, while Birx capitulated.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Not sure that analogy checks out at all. Also, Birx could have resigned citing threats. It's not like it was the Trump admin. itself threatening her life and forcing her to do things.

Not to mention her problem was just as much about what she did say as what she didn't.

Here she is at the end of March claiming Trump was attentive to the scientific literature and even managing to throw in a favorite among Trump lackeys: talking about how his supposed business acumen gives him a unique perspective or ability to look at data that has absolutely nothing the fuck to do with business (not to mention we all know he has always been a terrible businessman). Pure Trump sycophancy and appeasement.

Keep in mind this is when he had already spent weeks downplaying the virus, saying it's nothing, claiming it's about to go "down to zero", accusing it of being somehow a plot to damage his political career.

Beyond stroking Trump's ego, this had what I think you can reasonably assume is a tangible effect. Trump is telling people the virus will disappear "like a miracle", that it's basically nothing. Later, the top doctor on his taskforce tells however many millions of people see this clip that he really knows his shit and studies the science. Those people make what is admittedly a fairly logical conclusion: if Trump knows his shit and he says the virus will disappear, it'll disappear. If he's not at all concerned about masks or other mitigation measures, I shouldn't be either.

Birx decided to appease Trump and is arguably responsible for the deaths of people because of that decision. She has no excuses.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Nothing in her job description requires her to trot her ass on camera or before reporters and spend that time bigging trump up as someone who actually fucking knows what hes talking about let alone reads. She did this for a man who told people to use bleach (which some actually did). One thing to be silent which is shitty on its own, but you don't fucking help this man who knowingly is giving garbage advice (in which he has no business giving because he is not a fucking doctor) which lead to highly impressionable people actually dying.

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never forget this is what she was saying at the time-

Inexcusable.
That quote is insane. Just another grifter sociopath I guess.
Well even in the interview in the OP, she states that she thinks he appreciated the gravity of the situation in March. The quote in the twitter post was posted back in March so that lines up with how she thought he felt back in March.

Not trying to excuse her, just pointing that particular thing out.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Go find a toilet to crawl back into. She is just as guilty as the rest of that administration for our deaths being astronomical. Don't give her a voice or platform.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a complete shitbag. Complete coward who legitimized Trump for the sake of her fucking career. Go away and live in disgrace forever

Jan 18, 2018
Not sure that analogy checks out at all. Also, Birx could have resigned citing threats. It's not like it was the Trump admin. itself threatening her life and forcing her to do things.

Not to mention her problem was just as much about what she did say as what she didn't.

Here she is at the end of March claiming Trump was attentive to the scientific literature and even managing to throw in a favorite among Trump lackeys: talking about how his supposed business acumen gives him a unique perspective or ability to look at data that has absolutely nothing the fuck to do with business (not to mention we all know he has always been a terrible businessman). Pure Trump sycophancy and appeasement.

Keep in mind this is when he had already spent weeks downplaying the virus, saying it's nothing, claiming it's about to go "down to zero", accusing it of being somehow a plot to damage his political career.

Beyond stroking Trump's ego, this had what I think you can reasonably assume is a tangible effect. Trump is telling people the virus will disappear "like a miracle", that it's basically nothing. Later, the top doctor on his taskforce tells however many millions of people see this clip that he really knows his shit and studies the science. Those people make what is admittedly a fairly logical conclusion: if Trump knows his shit and he says the virus will disappear, it'll disappear. If he's not at all concerned about masks or other mitigation measures, I shouldn't be either.

Birx decided to appease Trump and is arguably responsible for the deaths of people because of that decision. She has no excuses.

I aint saying she did did the right thing or needs excuses by any means. I'm saying it's not hard to see why she would be on board with Trump. His admin was pretty much a mob. You give a human a choice, do the responsible thing and risk their life or do what your boss wants and keep your job sadly a lot of people will do the latter. She's mad selfish and I'm sure she'll face no consequences (especially being a white woman). Maybe I just don't have any hate left to give. But yall are right and I was just speaking through my thought process at the time.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I aint saying she did did the right thing or needs excuses by any means. I'm saying it's not hard to see why she would be on board with Trump. His admin was pretty much a mob. You give a human a choice, do the responsible thing and risk their life or do what your boss wants and keep your job sadly a lot of people will do the latter. She's mad selfish and I'm sure she'll face no consequences (especially being a white woman). Maybe I just don't have any hate left to give. But yall are right and I was just speaking through my thought process at the time.

I get you but in my opinion this isn't really about "hate left to give." It's not like I feel compelled to pick on her because I want to randomly hate someone. Logically, I think if she really was threatened by a mob-like atmosphere she'd have quit. I don't discount the possibility that she genuinely believed navigating Trump with appeasement and staying on the taskforce was preferable to being replaced by someone really shitty - especially since Fauci was at that point being shunned and left out of everything - but you can't just go and lie to people that the dude who thinks a novel virus will disappear magically knows what the fuck he's talking about, given that it's literally a matter of life and death. She did just that and essentially told people "Listen to Trump about the coronavirus." We know how that has turned out.

What is weird to me is that by every objective measure she was a respected and knowledgeable figure in her field and she took a chance on placating Trump and now her reputation is ruined and she has been forced into retirement. The attraction to people destroying their careers - and in some cases their lives - for this fake tanning loser slob will never make sense to me. I hope she comes to terms with her involvement in this shit show.

Jan 18, 2018
I get you but in my opinion this isn't really about "hate left to give." It's not like I feel compelled to pick on her because I want to randomly hate someone. Logically, I think if she really was threatened by a mob-like atmosphere she'd have quit. I don't discount the possibility that she genuinely believed navigating Trump with appeasement and staying on the taskforce was preferable to being replaced by someone really shitty - especially since Fauci was at that point being shunned and left out of everything - but you can't just go and lie to people that the dude who thinks a novel virus will disappear magically knows what the fuck he's talking about, given that it's literally a matter of life and death. She did just that and essentially told people "Listen to Trump about the coronavirus." We know how that has turned out.

What is weird to me is that by every objective measure she was a respected and knowledgeable figure in her field and she took a chance on placating Trump and now her reputation is ruined and she has been forced into retirement. The attraction to people destroying their careers - and in some cases their lives - for this fake tanning loser slob will never make sense to me. I hope she comes to terms with her involvement in this shit show.
I wonder how many of them actually believed he would stay president no matter what. I'm interested to see what comes to light about the mentalities and actions behind the scenes in the coming months.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
If you're too afraid to say something to the president or call him out publicly, then she should have stepped down. Then again as she said, if he was getting fake news from someone, the he would have installed nothing but a straight up crony in her place.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I wonder how many of them actually believed he would stay president no matter what. I'm interested to see what comes to light about the mentalities and actions behind the scenes in the coming months.

Yeah that's the other thing which you reminded me of. My feeling is that a fairly significant portion of her calculation was he's going to be president for another four years and that means I have a significant role/s. Obviously, that doesn't say anything good about her motives but since there's no concrete evidence of this I will reiterate it remains just my feeling.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

this.

never fucking forget.

IMO, her medical license should be suspended. Violation of the Hippocratic Oath.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017

If she had any integrity she would have either told the truth or she would have quit because she sure as hell wasn't doing any good giving validity to Trump and the task force.

Oct 27, 2017
We decided that 'just following orders' isn't a valid excuse decades ago. If she chose to give Trump good PR and also remain silent, then she chose to live with the consequences of >400k deaths. She's a collaborator and she can get fucked. Telling the truth and putting herself at risk was the only ethical choice she could've made.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
We decided that 'just following orders' isn't a valid excuse decades ago. If she chose to give Trump good PR and also remain silent, then she chose to live with the consequences of >400k deaths. She's a collaborator and she can get fucked. Telling the truth and putting herself at risk was the only ethical choice she could've made.
Almost like that, as a doctor, she swore some kind of Oath.. or something.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
For those questioning why some of us are being hard on her, here's a good nearly 11m takedown of her with receipts

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The simplest explanation is that she is getting tough time being on good graces of Biden admin or the medical corporate world at large. She is looking at how Dr Fauci is being treated like a hero and wishes she was that as well. But Fauci never went full sycophant like Birx. Pushed back hard on idiotic statements from Trump. Whereas Birx here defending Trump's bleach comments.

"When he gets new information, he likes to talk that through out loud and really have that dialogue — and so that's what dialogue he was having. I think he just saw the information at the time immediately before the press conference and he was still digesting that information," Dr. Birx told host Jesse Watters, during a preview of the interview shown by Fox' chief White House correspondent John Roberts on Friday.
Why you gotta defend that? Why?

She was either a coward scared of Trump or a two faced opportunist. Either way, she does not deserve to hold a single public office, no matter how small.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine seeing work made in your name being used to justify their atrocious approach and remaining silent. She is not fit to practice medicine.