• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deathbysound

Oct 27, 2017
WARNING

This thread contains extremely disturbing material. Please remember to take breaks and post responsibly.

Ubisoft

YongYea - "Top Ubisoft Execs Resign After Awful Work Environment & Creative Practices Are Exposed"
Nightengale - "[Liberation] Sexual harassment at Ubisoft: "We knew". (>100 cases from harassment to rape, half were known to HR, toxicity tolerated with results)"
Jim Sterling - "Ubisoft Spent Years Protecting Mental And Physical Abusers (The Jimquisition)"
Jim Sterling - "Ubisoft's Spineless CEO Dodges Accountability For Widespread Company Abuse"

Bonus

Voyboy - "Standing with the victims"
Amelia Mary-Justice - "The gaming community still doesn't "get" sexual violence"
Amandabb - "Why is it so HARD to just believe women..."
The Black Hokage - "Rant: Our Queens could use more empathy"
Mew2King - "My Thoughts"
Asmongold - "Regarding Streamers/Orgs and Sexual Misconduct..." (click the link for the full video)
Jim Sterling - "A Truly Fucked Up Industry (The Jimquisition)"
Maximilian Dood - "Real Talk: EVO Online Cancelled & The Future of the FGC"

Summary

DanGr123_ - "Dozens of women have levied sexual assault allegations towards several Twitch streamers, YouTubers, gaming/esports personalities, and gaming industry personnel"

Synopsis

__Hello_my_name_is__ - "From what I can tell, this began in the UK professional wrestling Twitter sphere of all places. All kinds of women have spoken up about various wrestlers and other people in the scene, which has led to multiple high-profile firings, suspensions and bans in various places (WWE: Jack Gallagher fired, Impact: Joey Ryan, Dave Crist fired, Michael Eglin suspended. AEW: Sammy Guevara suspended (for a rape joke) NWA: Pretty much the entire league went bankrupt after one of the founders was accused and stepped down, though COVID-19 certainly played a role here too.). There's way too many threads to link here and too many accusations to mention, basically all of r/SquaredCircle is nothing but this one topic right now, and has been for the last week. This (I presume) then sparked similar twitter threads in the Twitch community. Y'know, video game streaming and whatnot. Plenty of callouts, too. Which in turn led to Dota2, as OP describe. And also Starcraft 2.

TL;DR: This is a full-blown second #metoo movement of sorts, spanning several genres and communities.

Edit: It's also possible that it started out in the comic book community instead, or that the Chris D'Elia accusations were the first instance of this new movement."

JessyQuil - "Yeah I've been backing up all call-outs and responses given to me off site. In multiple places" (second link includes compilation of "Survivor Stories of Harassement/Abuse/Assault within the gaming live-streaming industry").

Slasher - "Over the last 48 hours, dozens of women from within the gaming and streaming industry have levied sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, and sexual assault allegations towards several major Twitch streamers, YouTubers, gaming/esports personalities, and gaming industry personnel. Included in the allegations are Omeed Dariani, CEO of OP Group (OPG), a content creator management company. today Omeed has stepped down as CEO and over a dozen Twitch streamers and YouTubers including Dodger, CohhCarnage, Strippin, and Towelliee have now dropped OPG."

Omeed Dariani, CEO of OP Group (OPG) - "I am no longer the CEO of OPG. OPG is a special company. It has created opportunity where none existed before. The talented women and men who work there pour their hearts into it daily. Give them a chance. Please don't destroy it because you're angry at me."

Context

DanGr_123 - "It seems like it all started in the Destiny game community with allegations against SayNoToRage...A lot of the stories of the allegations in this thread on twitter."

Twitch's first response

Twitch - "We take accusations of sexual harassment and misconduct extremely seriously. We are actively looking into the accounts concerning streamers affiliated with Twitch and will work with law enforcement where applicable. We're thankful for the bravery shown by those who have come forward to speak about their experiences, and we are commited to working to make the streaming community safer for everyone."

Backlash against Twitch's response

Samantha Wong - "These are empty words considering you, as a company, minimized and dismissed my sexual harassment and continued to let the predator attend your events and gave him live segments at E3 on your official channel."

Justin Wong - "I was a VP at Twitch and I reported this to the relationship-owning VP, the head of HR, and the CEO. All assured me it would be handled. Next year he was in the same VIP space at the same Twitch event. I was told he was the VP's uncle and an "important" initiative launch partner."

Starling - "I'm sick of being quiet. The CEO of @Twitch, @eshear was asked in an All Hands meeting about partners using their platforms to abuse women- specifically using my case as an example. He chuckled, said "wow, the things that go on on our platform, can't really comment," & moved on."

Twitch's secondary response

Twitch - "We want to provide an update on our investigations into the recent allegations of sexual abuse and harassment involving Twitch streamers and actions we're taking. We are reviewing each case that has come to light as quickly as possible, while ensuring appropriate due diligence as we assess these serious allegations. We've prioritized the most severe cases and will begin issuing permanent suspensions in line with our findings immediately. In many of the cases, the alleged incident took place off Twitch, and we need more information to make a determination. In some cases we will need to report the case to the proper authorities who are better placed to conduct a more thorough investigation. For those who've come forward and would like to share additional information, and to anyone who hasn't shared their experience and wants to do so, you can report confidentially through the reporting tools on each streamer's channel page.

We're also committed to continuing our efforts to make Twitch a safer environment with more tools to combat harassment and hate. We have work underway including a review of our Hateful Conduct and Harassment policies, enhanced offensive username detection, improvements to AutoMod and our Banned Words list, and other projects focused on reducing harassment and hateful conduct.

Those who have come forward have shown incredible strength, vulnerability, and bravery. We acknowledge that we can't singlehandedly tackle pervasive issues across the gaming and broader internet communities, but we take our responsibility as a service for our community seriously. We will continue to assess accusations against people affiliated with Twitch and explore ways Twitch can collaborate with other industry leaders on this important issue."

Twitch Staff

Zerothian - "Accusations against Hassan Bokhari"
AllyBooop & Chantel - "Accusations against Daniel Green" (paraphrased)

Reddit's Reaction

Strong pocket Sandbag - "Allegation Megathread (hopefully) temporarily taken down due to an automated response by the Reddit admins. Trying to get this resolved with the admins asap."
RIPDODGERSBANDWAGON - "Ban Wave: Party 2"
Vice - "Ban Wave: Part 1"

League of Legends

DBS - "Hashinshin, a League of Legends Esports personality and streamer, admits to sexting 13 year old girl among other minors"

Falcom Community

No Context Falcom - "[THREAD] There will not be a No Context post today. It has been made clear today that a problematic individual in this community has been harassing multiple women for the last few months. I will be making a thread compiling the various statements made by the victims."

Dota 2 Esports

Lonerwithboner - "I don't think there has been much discussion about this in the Dota 2 subreddit. Over the last few hours, several prominent female Dota 2 esports personalities have come forward and have made allegations of sexual harassment." (click the link for the full thread)
Leafeator - "Lifting from /u/reinessa to provide context for anyone coming in blind to this post, or wanting to refrence older threads. It's long. Sorry." (click the link for the full thread)

Fighting Game Community

Banard's Loop - "EVO staff is incompetent and mistreated & exploited its seeding teams at least as far back as 2016"
Sky Williams - "The house of Nightmares"
SalvaPot - "LoL and Smash personality Sky Williams housed several of the Smash players involved in scandals, with access to alcohol, drugs to underage guests."
blade430 - "Summary of Pedophiles, sexual assaulters, rapists, and groomers exposed in r/smashbros"
Male Corrin (Smash 4) - "Summary of sexual and non-sexual allegations"
RobotPirateMoses - "Summary of FGC-related sexual harassment/abuse/assault, racism, homophobia, transphobia and similarly vile incidents."
Jisu - "The truth about Zero, Katie, and Sky" (64 pages of disturbing material)
Cavemold582 - "Joey head of EVO being accused of sexual abuse to minor. EVO be over for good."
Hinata2000100 - "EVO Online has been fully cancelled, Mr Wiz has been fired from working with EVO, Tony Cannon is new CEO"
GoldenFate17 - "This was said about Wizard back in 2018."

World of Warcraft Community

Flair Tamer - "As I am sure many of you are aware, there have recently been several allegations of sexual misconduct made against prominent members of the World of Warcraft community (and others in the wider video-game world). As was the case with the Blitzchung event last October, discussions around this topic do not fall within the scope of our subreddit rules. However, we recognize that sometimes circumstances arise where those rules should be laid aside for the greater benefit of the community. This is clearly one of those times." (click the link for the full thread)

Esports Casters

LiteralGrill - "MacD Sexual Assault Alligations (And how my career was destroyed in esports)"
Forbes - "Paul 'Redeye' Chaloner Leaves Esports After Assault Allegations"

Media Coverage

Kotaku - "Ubisoft Employees Have 'Grave Concerns' Over Toronto Studio's Misconduct Allegations"
VGC - "Splinter Cell creative resigns following sexual misconduct allegations"
Esports Heaven - "Jacob Wolf on recent sexual misconduct in Esports:"Sexism, misogyny and sexual abuse isn't new in esports, nor was it ever a secret, but it's always been hard to get people to speak on-the-record against powerful abusers in fear of recourse, especially professional career impact".
ESPN - "Sexual abuse allegations surface in fighting game community."
Gamesutra - "Ubisoft CEO sanctions formation of 'multidisciplinary working group' to tackle abuse."
Business Insider (FR) - "On vous résume l'affaire Ubisoft dans laquelle des haut placés sont accusés d'harcèlement et d'agressions sexuelles."
Forbes - "Paul 'Redeye' Chaloner Leaves Esports After Assault Allegations."
CNN - "Gaming world faces one of its biggest #MeToo moments yet as Fedmyster is removed from OfflineTV"

Last edited:

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope that something good comes out of this in the end. I've never been one of the folks who felt that victims deserve to be believed without proof, but every single one of these folks deserve to be hear, cared for and treated with the respect and understanding that the situation deserves. Feels gross that all this is allegedly going on while many of use frequent Twitch and Youtube on a daily basis for hours on end.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think it goes without saying that these allegations should be believed, and are being covered in a number of threads.

However I can't believe that the person picked to quite about dota esports is called lonerwithboner.

Regardless whether they are a good or bad person, names like that are no actively welcoming, or inclusive...

I don't want to derail the thread but it just seems so ironic that even in a thread about the huge problem of sexism and abuse, there are problematic names in the quotes and commentary. (not aimed at OP but whoever the spokesperson is being picked out by dota).

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
One thing id like to see is an agreed upon discourse on how we should move forward when listening and dealing with accusations, violators and accusers. The responses here often feel fractured and spiral into arbritatry discussions on what is and isn't.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Asmongold - "Regarding Streamers/Orgs and Sexual Misconduct..." (click the link for the full video)
I only learned about this guy like a couple of weeks ago because YouTube started reccomending me his videos, and to be honest at first glance I kind of got a "bad" first impression by the way he was acting in the streams I saw. So I'm kinda positively taken aback by this.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
That Asmongold video is actually pretty surprising to me. Not as in I suspected him to be one of the dudes doing it, but him talking about it like this is surprising. Nice.

Fuck these scumbags up.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
I only learned about this guy like a couple of weeks ago because YouTube started reccomending me his videos, and to be honest at first glance I kind of got a "bad" first impression by the way he was acting in the streams I saw. So I'm kinda positively taken aback by this.

Yeah same, most I saw of him was him being an asshole but at least, he is not that type of asshole.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
That Asmongold video is actually pretty surprising to me. Not as in I suspected him to be one of the dudes doing it, but him talking about it like this is surprising. Nice.

Fuck these scumbags up.
He's definitely a pretty suspect dude about a lot of stuff but he also dated a popular female streamer from twitch so he's seen a bunch of harassment to him and even more to her because of it

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Of course.

This was BOUND to happen. You've got wider industry that never really had a reckoning and arguably was the hotbed for nasty shit that's reverberating in the mainstream (gamergate).

We kinda shrug away chat trolls, not realizing those chat trolls also grow up to be part of the industry themselves

Top it all off, since personality goes a long way in many aspects its shocking how many 'good' guys in the industry are absolutely shitty allies at best, abusers at worst.

And the sad thing is that gaming as a hobby appeals to people who feel socially awkward or ostracised. So in this one refuge you either get shitted on the same, or get radicalized that when you get your smidgen of power (popular streamer, indie game dev, etc) you pass on the abuse.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Watching OPG lose more or less all their major clients yesterday was something else

Although seeing Twitch put out a statement then seeing Witwix go live and teardown and doxx the people accusing him was fucking gross and shows Twitch ain't going to do FUCK ALL

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

Asmongold has changed a lot in the last few years. He started out as your typical WoW edgelord but he's much different now. He was pretty much one of the first to ban many of the perceived racist emotes on his channel. He signaled Trump support pretty hard in his first year streaming but these days he says he likes Bernie and thinks Trump is a dumbass. There is another video he made on his channel on advice to Twitch on how to stop racist chat(of course they didn't do any of it.) So ya he still not perfect but he actually seems like he's maturing. He's also a big advocate for female streamers and bans incels pretty fast in his chat.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The list on Reddit has been updated with more names.

Biggest standout is Cryaotic admitting he groomed minors. Didn't know the girlfriend he had on his channel for a while was fuckin' 16.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time theres a new wave of implications, I always wonder who the snakes are, those who still strike fear into women making them not speak out against. I'm sure theres more to come, name and shame.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Good. It'd be easier to list who isn't trash when it comes to YouTubers/streamers.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Fuck these scumbags up.

Asmongold is the odd example of somebody who leans right being pushed Left by his awful Twitch chat and interactions of all places. His relationship with Peach being on Onlyfans and that ending due to internet vitriol resulted in him taking 1-2 months off from Twitch for a while.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cohh is probably the nicest streamer I've watched over the years - he genuinely seems like a great guy *in before something comes out of a past controversy with him*

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Witwix is a giant piece of trash and spent his stream going over the accusations with his chat, getting them completely against the women who came out against him, including saying their first names and then monetized the whole thing by running ads during all of it? Just a completely disgusting person.

This was, of course, the same day twitch put out that "we take accusations very seriously" bs.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Buddy of mine into Warcraft was into him, I always just had this feeling about the guy that didn't sit well.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of this news is not surprising. Especially the dota casters. It would be easy to say: "I knew they were scumbags!" and write them off completely.

But I think the problem is more then that. Bunch of young people hanging out with alcohol involved and slimy dudes taking advantage is a story as old as time, part of the "culture" (not just esports culture) and that's the real fucking problem.

This shit needed to stop 20 years ago, and it seems to only get worse.

Teach your kids

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Shit. I watch him on the regular, dropped frames etc. Love Cohh too.
I posted this on the other thread

From a year ago, on Itmejp unofficial subreddit.
Overrustlelogs
[2018-07-28 06:05:41 UTC] kaitlyn: yes JP sexually harassed me and groomed me
[2018-07-28 06:05:47 UTC] kaitlyn: and doesn't care that someone who sexually assaulted me is on rollplay

Various Tweets

From former GM's that work with JP

Koibu
Steven

Last edited:

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's proper thrown me. JP seems an abrasive personality at times but never would have expected this. I will be interested to see how this progresses. Dropped Frames is my Wednesday go to and has been for some time and I'll be gutted if I have to drop it.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
That's proper thrown me. JP seems an abrasive personality at times but never would have expected this. I will be interested to see how this progresses. Dropped Frames is my Wednesday go to and has been for some time and I'll be gutted if I have to drop it.

Yeah same here. I love watching Dropped Frames
I'm waiting for Jp's replies to this

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cohh is probably the nicest streamer I've watched over the years - he genuinely seems like a great guy *in before something comes out of a past controversy with him*
Big bummer because I love watching the Dropped Frames podcast with Cohh and JP. But with the recent news about JP... ugh :(
Yeah same here. I love watching Dropped Frames
I'm waiting for Jp's replies to this

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet or not but, having asked his chat just now, Cohh addressed everything at the start of his earlier stream today. A link to the VOD is below, he speaks about it from 06:45 to 12:30.

A summary basically:

- Says its critical that people are believed when they come forward with these things
- Equally its important to get all the facts before mobbing people
- His management company, who he has been with since he started streaming, have been implicated and he has severed all ties with them
- In regards to JP he simply states he doesn't know anything at all right now

OP
OP
Deathbysound

Deathbysound

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Will update the OP accordingly in a couple of minutes.

I find it quite interesting that the same thread that was re-posted on r/Games, a sub-Reddit community with 2.4m members, with the slogan "Quality Gaming Content and Discussion" was removed due to and I quote,
Removed: Rule 7.3

Sorry, this post has been removed by the moderators of r/Games. Moderators remove posts from feeds for a variety of reasons, including keeping communities safe, civil, and true to their purpose."

The aforementioned rule 7.3,

7.3 No content focusing on non-gaming related details of Games Industry Figures
Games Industry Figures are those individuals or companies who primarily work in either the creation of games and/or their critical analysis. Content regarding such figures is only allowed when it is directly related to a game or to major life events (e.g. company move, death (or terminal health issue), retirement, acquirement, business closure, sponsorships, "Gabe is the new CEO of Activision" or "Microsoft buys the PlayStation brand for $10 and a pack of Oreos"). Direct accusations, litigation or other serious matters must have a demonstrable impact on the related game or company. Posts that focus on non-gaming related details (e.g. "CliffyB thinks Donnie Darko defines him as a person, insists that it's not a phase, mom" or "Does anyone else think that Valve should stop providing free junk food for their employees?") are not allowed.

I find it quite interesting since it shows dismissive attitude, non-affirmative action and poor effort of censorship and silencing information that should be encouraged, should be embraced and should be supported to be spread. Like, why exactly you would not want your community to be informed about online streamers, online content creators, professional players and every single individual who is related and directly or indirectly involved with the gaming community that conduct themselves or participate as a bystander in a situation that should be universally condemned and checked on? How exactly are you keeping your community "safe" by preventing information on at least de facto cases of sexual misconduct, sexual harassment and sexual assault?

What a fucking joke.

Anyhow, here is a list that has been compiled by JessyQuil under the title of "Survivor Stories of Harassment/Abuse/Assault within the gaming live-streaming industry. June 2020" in which she states "Yeah I've been backing up all callouts and responses given to me off site. In multiple places".

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Edit: Will update the OP accordingly in a couple of minutes.

I find it quite interesting that the same thread that was re-posted on r/Games, a sub-Reddit community with 2.4m members, with the slogan "Quality Gaming Content and Discussion" was removed due to and I quote,

The aforementioned rule 7.3,

I find it quite interesting since it shows dismissive attitude, non-affirmative action and poor effort of censorship and silencing information that should be encouraged, should be embraced and should be supported to be spread. Like, why exactly you would not want your community to be informed about online streamers, online content creators, professional players and every single individual who is related and directly or indirectly involved with the gaming community that conduct themselves or participate as a bystander in a situation that should be universally condemned and checked on? How exactly are you keeping your community "safe" by preventing information on at least de facto cases of sexual misconduct, sexual harassment and sexual assault?

What a fucking joke.

Anyhow, here is a list that has been compiled by JessyQuil under the title of "Survivor Stories of Harassment/Abuse/Assault within the gaming live-streaming industry. June 2020" in which she states "Yeah I've been backing up all callouts and responses given to me off site. In multiple places".
r/games is basically a sub for some news, articles or trailers. Anything else will get downvotes or deleted, I wouldn't expect to get this sort of thread going there.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
This all disappointing but not surprising. Especially as the same thing is going on wrestling. Seeing a lot of mentions of TI and twitchcon and I'm not surprised. My wife and I went to Blizzcon together and the second she was alone, there was instantly a man coming over to hit on her. She then went on a great patch hunt for me at different booths and had less issues at least. She also talked to staff to avoid talking to random guys a few times as well. It kinda seemed like they understand. Just because you see a woman alone doesn't mean that you should go instantly hit on her.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'm currently watching the Check The Wire podcast (with Dan Gheesling and Northernlion), and it's good to see two of the main streamers I follow take this seriously, talk seriously about the situation, and so on. Dan himself also dropped OPG.

It's always been obvious that Gaming/Streaming/Twitch culture is toxic, but usually, you think about the gamers, the viewers, the chat, when you think about toxic elements.
Fucking awful to have to see that this shit is in the back channels as well, though not surprising.

I used to watch a bunch of JPs stuff, and even though I stopped because he was a bit too (for lack of a better word) salty/aggressive for me too often, I am shocked that he'd be one of the names appearing in this context.
Good that shit like this isn't staying buried, but horrible that this is how things are.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Cohh is the only streamer I watch regularly. Really really hope something bad doesnt come out about him

V_Ben

Larian Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
St Albans, UK
Kate is my friend, and I believe her about EscoBlades. It's fucking horrifying and disgusting what she had to endure.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
It should be pointed out that all these stories coming to light are also hitting hard in the wrestling community (about damn time), naming many names. I'm hoping that all of this leads to some strong positive changes to remove what has been sadly allowed to embed into the culture. There's NO place for any of it.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
This shit has been happening for years. Big streaming corporations like Twitch and professional esports leagues just don't want to talk about it because they care more about public image and money than doing the right thing. It's shameful that these stories didn't come out sooner, and I really hope these absolute pieces of human garbage see significant jailtime.

As a woman I've experienced harassment online in games even when a streaming platform wasn't involved. This is a gaming culture problem that is exacerbated by the comfy blanket Twitch and others provide for abusers as well as the "boys club" mentality that many online communities support.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Also for what it's worth, really nice to see such a big streamer like Asmongold step up and publicly support victims and women.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Fuck these scumbags up.
Yeah the Asmongold video caught me off guard. I have always known that who he is on stream is more or less an exaggerated character that he plays up for his chat, but I never really expected that kind of video to come from him.

It's amazing to see though. And this is just me guessing, but I'm willing to bet a lot of his feelings on the subject come from the harassment that he and his girlfriend received awhile back when their relationship was made public.

Oct 25, 2017

Asmon gets shit sometimes and at a certain point on his stream I think he likes hearing himself talk but he's a good dude.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately Twitch turned into its own version of Hollywood. Big streamers have the power to make careers on twitch with just a raid or two. At the same time some of those big streamers have an ego the size of the Moon. That is a recipe for disaster especially when in many of the cases you are dealing with Young Teen Girls who are struggling in their own ways in just day to day life. Then they get these Predators showering them in attention and "affection" promising to make them famous etc. Every story starts almost the same. There have been men sexually abused as well who are reluctant to speak out but yeah Twitch needs to come down on this hard and send a strong message.