• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Why?! Mortgage rates are cheap, that makes no sense.

I disagree. While I put money most of my money into 403b to my max and the index stocks after that, I also carve out a chunk to put toward my mortgage (at 3.75). While I know it is not the 100% best use of the money from a pure min/max perspective, the sense of freedom I get from knowing I will be somewhat young and have a paid off house is well worth it.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
Time in the market > timing the market

If you have money you "can't afford to lose" you need to rethink your risk allocation.

Stay the course, keep doing what you've been doing. If you're close to retirement, you should have been more heavily invested in bonds anyway and you were gambling.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is largely in part to the Coronavirus, right?
Yep.

The problem is
A) The leaderships and response to the virus are...lacking
B) China and its economic timebomb are still looming over all of us
C) Brexit fallout.

All three of those could lead to a meltdown. Emphasis on could.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree. While I put money most of my money into 403b to my max and the index stocks after that, I also carve out a chunk to put toward my mortgage (at 3.75). While I know it is not the 100% best use of the money from a pure min/max perspective, the sense of freedom I get from knowing I will be somewhat young and have a paid off house is well worth it.

Fine. Nothing wrong with paying off your house, but his comment is "market is down, guess I'll make payments on the house." That's the worst time to do it.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Time in the market > timing the market

If you have money you "can't afford to lose" you need to rethink your risk allocation.

Stay the course, keep doing what you've been doing. If you're close to retirement, you should have been more heavily invested in bonds anyway and you were gambling.
I was talking to women I work with today. Her dumb ass boyfriend put all his eggs in one stock and that was his retirement plan. Long story short he lost 300K so that plan is out the window..which means he had 300K and never took any gains at one time or another...just total incompetence.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think we still have further to drop and as I said in the other thread a further breakout in China or a breakout in the US would send the market tumbling.

I'm curious if this all blows over whether things will rocket back to where they were or if there will be some residual effects. I know at least here in Australia some businesses will be lucky to survive and there may be some lingering effects even it there is no pandemic and it all summers straight down.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it probably isn't healthy for news media to be panicking over stock market. not so long ago, they were panicking over the inverted yield curve

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Or not. The market could collapse tremendously in the coming weeks/months, which would present a much better investment opportunity than now.

You know, quite literally, nothing more than I do on the matter.

I don't care what the market is at, if you have money to invest, you should invest and doing otherwise would be stupid, simple as that. The fact that the market is a on a downswing is a bonus and if the market continues to downswing that is fine too for anyone investing responsibly.

I know that timing the market is a fool's game so maybe I do know more than you on the matter.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm kind of dumb on this stuff, I thought a shock kicked in at -1000 and trading was halted, did that happen here? I think there's like 3 different thresholds for it or something.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
LOl. He might as well have tweeted "Get out now everyone! There's blood in the water. NOW!!"

People who know is this the start of another great recession? Is it wrong that I want it to be just to fuck Trump?
Were still only at about August 2019 levels. This isnt 2008 territory yet. The stock market has been skyrocketing the last few months, a correction was inevitable. Not this fast though, so we shall see what happens.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm kind of dumb on this stuff, I thought a shock kicked in at -1000 and trading was halted, did that happen here? I think there's like 3 different thresholds for it or something.
-7% is the first threshold (then 13 then 20). 1000 points these days is only about 4%, which is why points vs percentage should be pointed out. And also it's based on the sp, not the dow, so the equivalent is about 1/10 of the dow, roughly.

Oct 27, 2017
Were still only at about August 2019 levels. This isnt 2008 territory yet. The stock market has been skyrocketing the last few months, a correction was inevitable. Not this fast though, so we shall see what happens.
Losing six months in a days trading seems bad tho. Part of me hopes it doesn't all crumble again cause that shit affected me first go around BUT...

... having nothing means I have nothing to lose! Sorry everyone but I hope it all burns so that orange turd gets properly fucked!

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Losing six months in a days trading seems bad tho. Part of me hopes it doesn't all crumble again cause that shit affected me first go around BUT...

... having nothing means I have nothing to lose! Sorry everyone but I hope it all burns so that orange turd gets properly fucked!
Not all today, it's been since the start of last friday but yes that point still stands. Too fast. We saw a similar fall in December 2018, we'll see if we can recover like we did in Jan 2019. Difference being an unknown of a virus vs something controllable like a trade deal.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Yep.

The problem is
C) Brexit fallout.

We're in the dystopian future I always dreamed of.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The DOW has climbed over the past 135 years from lows of $29 to nearly $30 000, people need to stop referencing points. As the number grows, it takes less and less percentage to drop more and more points.

not even in the top 20 for percentage drops.

Wikipedia has it as the 8th largest percentage drop.

Oct 27, 2017
Not all today, it's been since the start of last friday but yes that point still stands. Too fast. We saw a similar fall in December 2018, we'll see if we can recover like we did in Jan 2019. Difference being an unknown of a virus vs something controllable like a trade deal.
Ah I see.

IMO the actual severity of the virus has been overblown but I suppose the market doesn't actually care about reality per se. If everyone thinks they're in a tinderbox and someone lights a match...

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The DOW has climbed over the past 135 years from lows of $29 to nearly $30 000, people need to stop referencing points. As the number grows, it takes less and less percentage to drop more and more points.

Wikipedia has it as the 8th largest percentage drop.
Today? No way it's the 8th largest day drop ever. I would doubt it's in the top 50...

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Bruh

Just saw this thread

Immediately checked my small stock/tradings account and saw how close it was to shutting down

Had to inject a couple grand to keep it afloat.

This fucking virus, I swear to goddddd

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already pulled out and lost $5 total on investments. Going to gauge the dip tomorrow and Monday and make the decision to buy in bulk and play it out.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

The problem is
C) Brexit fallout.

It's kinda important having a competent president that can properly react to things and inspire confidence in case something does happens. Which is everything Trump is not capable of.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
A few months ago I started working at a new employer. Did a rollover for about 60k and decided to put it all into a stability fund. Gonna start DCA into stocks tomorrow.really glad I made that choice! Only lost $2 today.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
I took out a 401k loan to help pay for part of my house down payment, knowing it would be paid back in the short term. This was about 4 months ago and I am paying it off tomorrow with my annual bonus. I was at +28%, but it went down to -16% since Monday. So....perfect time to throw all this money at it?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to invest in stock, but I am thinking that we will have these issues and uncertainty for at least another few weeks to months