• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Personally, I don't give a shit because the stock market hasn't helped me one bit. But this is going to have some pretty big ramifications, potentially impacting the election.

The Dow (INDU) dropped 1,191 points, or 4.4% in its worst one-day point drop in history. The index has fallen more than 10% below its most-recent peak, putting it in correction.
The S&P 500 (SPX) closed down 4.4% and finished the day below the 3,000 point mark. The index is also in correction territory.
The Nasdaq Composite (COMP) ended down 4.6%, more than 10% below its latest peak.

www.cnn.com

Dow falls 1,191 points -- the most in history

US stocks again sold off sharply on Thursday as worries about coronavirus mounted. The S&P 500 posted its worst day since August 18, 2011, and the three main indexes fell into correction territory. Stocks are on track for their worst week since the financial crisis.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Someone post that old Trump tweet about shooting the president out of a cannon if the DOW dropped 1000 points.

Dec 13, 2018
Oddly my 401k didn't take as bad a hit as I expected , bad but not that bad

it's definitely going to get worse though, I've been traveling a lot recently and the airports are relatively dead

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Last I looked we were about to clear 30k. Now we're back to two years ago. Our very honest and humble president will no doubt tweet about this and owe up to it since he brags and takes credit every time there is green....

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is brexit adding to the fears as well? Anything else adding to it besides Corona virus?

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This includes the buy up that happened mid day with the fed repos. This day could have been waaaaay worse.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_mm8opmBBPD1soyza9o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Is brexit adding to the fears as well? Anything else adding to it besides Corona virus?
Brexit hasn't appeared to have any affect on the market. I guess it could long term, but this is definitely not as a result of it in anyway. Just concern over the virus and the repercussions of it (consumer spending, manufacturing losses, etc.).

I would imagine everyone knowing that since Trump's administration is so incompetent that if it gets here in any meaningful way that we're completely fucked is playing a role.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I maybe should look into buying at this point. It will probably jump up again after a while.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
It's dropped a lot but depending on your stock it's still at Oct/Nov '19 prices. You should still be up if you invested long term or aren't day-trading. The past three months have just been crazy.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
So will this make Trump look worse? Maybe act as ammo against him? Or not really since it's outside his control?

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Brexit is a known/predictable event so the market had already priced it in. Corona virus was a surprise and no one has a timetable for how long it will be a problem. The market doesn't really drop on bad news, just uncertainty.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
So I am currently looking to buy a house. Do I wait to see the market crash or do I buy now before it gets harder to lend money?

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine how bad it could have been if Trump hadn't steadied the ship at yesterday's presser!

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's say I have a few thousand I could invest right now...any ideas on where it should go?

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Everyone knew a correction would come, and this one is a bit forced by stuff, I've got 30 more years before I pull out, it'll be fine

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
So I am currently looking to buy a house. Do I wait to see the market crash or do I buy now before it gets harder to lend money?

If we experience a 2008 level crash then it won't matter as housing prices, outside of a few areas, will plummet. So any savings you might experience from lower interest rates will be offset by the housing prices.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.aqr.com

The Valuesburg Address

One score and eight years ago Fama and French brought forth on this world, a new factor, conceived in either risk or behavioral effects, and dedicated to the proposition that all portfolios are not created equal. Now we are engaged in a great drawdown, testing whether investors in that factor...

One score and eight years ago Fama and French brought forth on this world, a new factor, conceived in either risk or behavioral effects, and dedicated to the proposition that all portfolios are not created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great drawdown, testing whether investors in that factor, or any factor so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that drawdown, the internet. We have come to dedicate a portion of the internet, as a final resting place for those value managers who here gave up their businesses expecting that that factor would soon revive. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we cannot diversify away from – we cannot time the bottom of – we cannot easily "fix" the pain caused by – this drawdown. The brave value managers who struggled here, have commemorated the drawdown, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget the Tesla they shorted here.