• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Can we get Trump to sign a printout of today's results?

Edit: Beaten by like 5 people lol

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
steady on everyone. Stick to your plan, continue on with repeating contributions, don't dump stock that's already lot 20% of its value. Unless you're retiring in the next 5 years this will just be a blip on the graph to your eventual retirement savings

Gonna be honest I'm sick of reading this. I'll retire in about 30 years and who knows what state the world will be in by then if we don't take drastic measures on climate change.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
Looking at historic drops - what the fuck is up with that '87 drop? It's like 10% higher than any other drop in history! But I don't hear about a huge economic collapse around then, at least not until the Bush era a few years later. Like, was there a sudden recovery right after? How did HW win in 1988 if not?

People who existed in the 80s, I need context!

The '87 drop was more constrained to the investing class, so while it still caused a recession, the economic effects were less widespread. In comparison, the great recession reduced home values for nearly everyone and tens of thousands of people suddenly owned houses worth less than their value of their mortgages. The flow of money nearly halted during great recession.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Looking at historic drops - what the fuck is up with that '87 drop? It's like 10% higher than any other drop in history! But I don't hear about a huge economic collapse around then, at least not until the Bush era a few years later. Like, was there a sudden recovery right after? How did HW win in 1988 if not?

People who existed in the 80s, I need context!

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Gonna be honest I'm sick of reading this. I'll retire in about 30 years and who knows what state the world will be in by then if we don't take drastic measures on climate change.
If that's your stance then you shouldn't be investing at all. Go blow your money in the present.

No one has ever lost money on a diverse portfolio in the market in a 30 year span.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad thing but i cant help but be happy this is happening during trump's presidency and so close to the election

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Dems please use this as ammo. Please no more " they go low, we go high."

Attack attack attack.

Blast it as the "Trump Drop". Best 'deal maker' in history destroys economy. Wow.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
If that's your stance then you shouldn't be investing at all. Go blow your money in the present.

No one has ever lost money on a diverse portfolio in the market in a 30 year span.

And therefore it will never happen. I'm not saying people shouldn't keep investing or that it likely won't keep going up. I'm just annoyed at the blind optimism behind capitalism that things will always look that way. Over the next few decades the world is going to face some serious challenges and I don't think things are as guaranteed as many make out.

Also no that doesn't mean I should just go out and blow all my money. I don't really invest other than the super I have to pay because I live in Australia.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Three fucking days ago...

mIZfuTj.jpg

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we are looking for 10k Dow in a couple of months. This crisis is barely just getting started and already such a big drop.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is literally no reason to vote for him now right? The "bu bu bu mah economy" people can't say shit...right?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
"The fundamentals of our economy are strong."

The ghost of McCain?

It was W actually. He would come out completely clueless and unprepared on TV, just like Trump, and say that phrase over and over as simultaneously the market tanked. Just like Trump. I can't believed they came out and said that phrase because it's synonymous with meaning the opposite. We in trouble.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was around this time in 2008 when I set my investments to autopilot and started doing other things instead of looking at them.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Serious take, but who the fuck learns Econ in HS?

I took Econ in high school, micro and macro in college.

Never was taught anything about how the Fed can inject money into the economy via short term loans or whatever is happening. The banking system in general didn't come up as often as I would have liked in accounting either since that was more of a finance concept.

So basically I'm not surprised people are getting confused about how "we" can spend trillions on X but not on Y. The concept of the Fed and how it's technically independent is probably niche knowledge for most of the population.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
People like a shit show so it's really hard to say.

Anytime he has a speech or announcement they play it here at work and the offices laughs at him.

Makes me wonder how many of them voted to put him there.

I mean the polls haven't been updated because we are still in primary, but look to 1932 or 2008 to see what happens.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Indeed. I wish the motherfucking Dow would stop existing. Same with all the other stock-markets.
All that stress just because people are greedy as fuck.

I didn't quite mean it that way. I feel you, but this is just a macro scale of people supporting companies. Obviously it becomes more complicated, but it is also tied up in a number of people's lives.

My comment was more toward Trump and our corporate overlords.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't quite mean it that way. I feel you, but this is just a macro scale of people supporting companies. Obviously it becomes more complicated, but it is also tied up in a number of people's lives.

My comment was more toward Trump and our corporate overlords.
Ah okay. I can't stand the focus on these stockmarkets and i can't stand its influence on the world. People act like it's a religion. Money being God here. But my hate is completely irrational, i realize that much. Sometimes i think we should should let all the banks and stockmarkets die to show the world it's all a lot of nothing and we can be fine without them. No actual clue how that will end though.