• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
UPDATE: CANCELLED
toronto.ctvnews.ca

Ontario will not be moving forward with faulty blue licence plates

Ontario's Progressive Conservative government has decided to not move forward with the blue licence plate design for passenger vehicles following readability concerns.

Original post:

toronto.ctvnews.ca

Government looking into reports new Ontario licence plates are unreadable at night

The Ontario government has confirmed to CTV News Toronto that they are looking into reports that the province’s new licence plates are difficult to read at night.
TORONTO -- The Ontario government has confirmed to CTV News Toronto that they are looking into reports that the province's new licence plates are difficult to read at night.

"We have been made aware that some Ontarians are reporting concerns with readability to the naked-eye under certain light conditions," the office of Minister of Government and Consumer Services Lisa Thompson said in an email Monday.

The confirmation follows a number of posts to social media that show photos of what appears to be the new licence plates on vehicles at night, with plate details almost impossible to read.
The apparent flaw has prompted many online to question the design of the plates released earlier this month.

Originally touted as an "effective product that will last longer for Ontarians," there are growing questions over whether the new plates were ever tested in the field before the rollout.

"Wonder what genius decided to change the plate to blue?" one user on Reddit asked. "Another embarrassing blunder from Doug Ford & Co," added another.
In the same statement, Thompson said, "The government consulted with key stakeholders, including our law enforcement partners, to test the readability, reflectivity and functionality of the new high definition plate design."

"We take this feedback seriously, value the input of Ontario drivers and law enforcement stakeholders and are currently looking into this."

All new vehicles in Ontario registered after Feb. 1 are required by law to be equipped with the new plates.

Ontario is also getting a new driver's license design, surely they can't mess that up right?

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, noticed a blue plate last week on the highway, couldn't make out shit until I was a lane or two away and to the side of them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even a "place to grow" since they fucked up the cannabis rollout.

It's almost like the Premier is a dropout, ex-drug dealer or something.

Fuck everyone who voted for these idiots. Launch them into Lake Ontario.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Another Conservative victory!

I am looking for new plates soon, does this means I can do anything I want and not be caught?

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
How much money was and will continue to be wasted on this. But please keep cutting important things so you can do some dumb shit like this

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
RIP Green plates for EVs, then I guess, too, right?

Such an unnecessary thing to change, I'm glad I got my green plates when I got my car a couple years ago. These new ones are hideous and look like a box of Q-Tips.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
Did we expect any better from a government that fucked up gas station government propaganda stickers?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Green plates for EVs, then I guess, too, right?

Those are staying the same.

I keep expecting them to get rid of free HOV lane usage but they haven't.

Gonna renew my sticker for 2 years ASAP before they slap on a massive EV fee for not supporting the oil industry.

Last edited:

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Did you know the slogan "A Place to Grow" narrowly beat out the other contenders, "A Work in Progress" and "It Could Be Worse"?

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

The first one I saw was in daylight and the first thing I thought was that it was hard to read. Nevermind at night.

Stupid waste of money. Change for no reason. Any they didn't consult police? Idiots.

edit: wait, we're also getting new a new driver's license design? How did a miss this??

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UiCbCBO.gif

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
What a dumb obvious oversight.

I'm happy that they're more durable though, as it seems that the surface of the white ones start falling apart after a while. Seemingly around the time they started beginning with the letter B.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

I'm happy that they're more durable though, as it seems that the surface of the white ones start falling apart after a while. Seemingly around the time they started beginning with the letter B.

I've got one of these plates. I was going to swap it with one of these new blue plates but it sounds like theyre going to be recalled any day now

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

Yeah, there was a problem with the B ones. They let you replace those for free.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The only reason this was done is so he can have some long term proof of his terrbile legacy on every car in the province.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
lol are y'all okay up there in Canada?

Could always be better but this one is fucking up so bad that he's not getting another shot and he'll never have another job in politics after his term is done. He's in a huge fight with all the teachers unions right now and his stupid party is tripping over themselves to do stupid things that the media finds out about

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Could always be better but this one is fucking up so bad that he's not getting another shot and he'll never have another job in politics after his term is done

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the average voter, whether it's voting for Ford or just not voting because reasons.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the kind of licence plate I'd want if I was a small time door dealer. Just sayin' .

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
What is it about middle Candadian/American (white) people voting for idiots?

Ford's predecessor was so hated a potted plant could won the election. Would have been better for Ontario too.

As for Canada you are starting to see the same urban/rural division as the US along with right wing voters becoming increasingly more radicalized.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck the license plates, give us back our basic income pilots Ford, you fucknut.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't underestimate the stupidity of the average voter, whether it's voting for Ford or just not voting because reasons.

With the government trying to privatize ow and ODSP, something that will be affecting part of the 30% core that always vote con, he's going to be in trouble

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
With the government trying to privatize ow and ODSP, something that will be affecting part of the 30% core that always vote con, he's going to be in trouble

Owning myself to own the libs is a thing with that base though.

Right now they still think it will be the "freeloaders" who will get kicked off and not them.

Yeah I'm cynical lol.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Owning myself to own the libs is a thing with that base though.

Right now they still think it will be the "freeloaders" who will get kicked off and not them.

Yeah I'm cynical lol.

I understand why you may be seeing the US Republicans fuck themselves, but although stupid here, the right wing voters don't take kindly to their services being cut. When the thought of healthcare going public was passed around, even hardened con supporters hated that

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
What is it about middle Candadian/American (white) people voting for idiots?
There's a huge number of asian, East Asian, whatever conservatives that voted for this fucking moron and his party.
They did the same for that fuckwit Sheer and the PC party too for the federal election. Thankfully they didn't get him a win, but they did enough to get seats in the house.

So fuck these people.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Lets remember this 16 years from now when the nothing of a liberal scandal hits and the Cons try to make themselves relevant again.