• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
got called "sand n****r" at my first job at IKEA selling hotdogs, chalked it up to the retail experience.

just a couple years ago in the professional game industry a "teammate" called me a "sand n****r" and then the inner circle iced me out because I wasn't willing to entertain "the joke." people that were supposed to be on my TEAM were upset that I would besmirch Tyler's "obviously not racist" honour. People I thought would be lifelong friends. now that circle moved to the biggest game in town and I can't even get a call back for interviews. fuck em.

and fuck anyone who says this shit doesn't exist here, we still have lots of work to do.

Last edited:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I've lived in Canada and have visited several times. I'd say about 80% of the homeless, alcoholics, drug addicts, down on their lucks that I saw were indigenous people of Canada. It was quite a shock. Whenever I tried to talk to people about it they'd just look at the floor and shuffle their feet.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
For anyone interested in the Highway of Tears disappearances, I came across this video recently:

The only reason law enforcement officials started looking into this was when a white woman disappeared. It is heartbreaking.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Our racism is a lot more subtle, more subdued. It's also very much there and aboriginal groups receive the brunt of it.

It's also a clusterfuck of a mess stretched out over a century and I don't think there will ever be a solution at this point. I've read interesting documents like the Reclaiming Power and Place (the missing indigenous women's report) for their perspective and the amount of recommendations in there are daunting.

I'd imagine most Canadians view themselves as being less racist than they actually are, too, especially by region. Having spent a lot of time in both BC and Alberta, I'd say BC is probably worse for racism but people living their love to point to AB as a way to deflect from themselves.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
I am from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, can confirm people can be super disgustingly racist towards First Nations.

Hell it feels like that racism is pact of the social contract: "Join us in shitting on First Nations and you minority person won't get it (as bad)".

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck Ford, obviously. Any country created through colonialism has problems with racism.

This is gross. Ontario NDPs need to step up next election...

If the NDP couldn't do it last election, I;m not sure if they can pull it off. It could still happen, of course but it is going to be tough. Ford is going to have to lose all his good will he gained from Covid and then some. Del Duca seems pretty bland and unpopular but he is still a fresh face, so I feel like Ontario Liberals are going to get a bump no matter what. Plus, they are polling really well currently because the Federal Liberals are polling well.

Oh and no matter what Horvath does, public perception of the NDP is poisoned by the ghost of Bob Rae because Ontarians are fucking morons.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
I shared my views on racism in Canada earlier in the thread, but wanted to add a recent experience of subtle racism towards me and my wife. We went to a B&B a few months ago a couple of hours outside the city around Canada Day. We were hungry and this was past the time the B&B was offering dinner. They offered us leftovers which are normally fine, however because it was our last day we wanted to make it a date night. We went to a local Chinese restaurant in the town as it was the biggest non-franchise one in town and we thought hey let's taste what their Chinese food will taste like.

The subtle racism we experienced was they kept us segregated in the restaurant from everyone else. We were the only minorities we saw at the restaurant other than the cooks and the restaurant was busy. We had full view of who entering and leaving the restaurant. Everyone else was seated in the main area of the restaurant or the patio section. We got the section that was dimly lit with no other customers ever seated near us. We didn't make a big deal as we kind of expected it based off earlier experience when we were visiting the smaller shops in town. Food as shitty as well btw, not even close to authentic Chinese food.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off Doug. Tell me there's no racism when I more often than not get swabbed at Pearson, was forced to go to ESL when English is my first language, my family has had the cops called on them multiple times cause we had played different music or cooked different food, have been told to clean up my skin, shunned because I'm West Indian but listen to rock music, been told by friends they can't be friends anymore, get numerous microagressions to this day, and way more shit that I had to deal with because I was reminded I'm brown. We have our fucking problems. Don't fucking forget it.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, can confirm people can be super disgustingly racist towards First Nations.

Hell it feels like that racism is pact of the social contract: "Join us in shitting on First Nations and you minority person won't get it (as bad)".
Hey fellow Saskatonian.

Yeah, you really hit the nail on the head of one of the uniquely disgusting aspects of Indigenous racism, how immigrants and other PoC are frequently incentivized into joining white people in their racism towards the Indigenous as though it was some sort of bonding experience. Most don't take the bait, but some sadly do. It happens to black people in North America as well, but I can't say it's nearly as pervasive. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I think (but can't confirm) it's why many Indigenous activists in Canada use the term "settlers" to describe their aggressors, to signal that their aggressors are anyone who benefits from colonialism in Canada while disregarding or degrading Indigenous existence and humanity.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

I am from Southern Alberta and I can attest that racism against First Nations has always been a thing here. Heck my parents still are racist towards them.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
Hey fellow Saskatonian.

Yeah, you really hit the nail on the head of one of the uniquely disgusting aspects of Indigenous racism, how immigrants and other PoC are frequently incentivized into joining white people in their racism towards the Indigenous as though it was some sort of bonding experience. Most don't take the bait, but some sadly do. It happens to black people in North America as well, but I can't say it's nearly as pervasive. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I think (but can't confirm) it's why many Indigenous activists in Canada use the term "settlers" to describe their aggressors, to signal that their aggressors are anyone who benefits from colonialism in Canada while disregarding or degrading Indigenous existence and humanity.

Hello to you too. Nice to see other people from Saskatoon online who aren't racist shit heads.

I am from Southern Alberta and I can attest that racism against First Nations has always been a thing here. Heck my parents still are racist towards them.

So are my parents. My mom experienced a very violent childhood with abusive parents, so it always confuses and saddens me that instead finding solidarity with the First Nation experience, she always mocks them and makes it about her: "My parents beat the shit outta me, where's MY money", "They don't know how lucky they where to be taken from their parents, because I WISHED that happened to me", "They lost, we won, so they should shut up". I could go on. Whole family is like that, even the non-Canadians who married into the family, almost like they get brainwashed.

Funny, her being over the top racist is what made me look into history in general, then the history of the First Nations. Because I couldn't believe anyone could be that bad.

Oct 26, 2017
Ford is the personification of the memes of Canada on the internet where everything is just right, and everyone else is the one with racism problems.

Zero reflection. Zero accountability.

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Beaverton: Country responsible for the Indian Act, Chinese Head Tax, Komagata Maru, Africville, "None Is Too Many," Japanese Internment Camps, Sixties Scoop, Residential Schools, Oka Crisis, and MMIWG declares itself not racist

OTTAWA – In the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests in the U.S. and Canada prominent politicians, columnists, and people on twitter have stepped forward over the past few days to declare that Canada, home to the Indian Act, Chinese Head Tax, Africville, "None Is Too Many," Japanese Internment Camps, Sixties Scoop, Residential Schools, Komagata Maru, the Oka Massacre, and MMIWG, is not a racist nation.

"Aside from a few thousand incidents over many years that coincidentally reveal a clear pattern, Canada has no embedded history of racism or systemic discrimination whatsoever," said former Jet-Skier Stockwell Day. "This is all just part of a revisionist history that focuses on the bad parts of our history instead of the good ones, like Terry Fox or that time we beat the pants off the Ruskies at the ultimate diverse sport: hockey!"

"Oh yeah and that Underground Railroad thing!" he added. Day did not make mention of the 1911 government order that made it illegal for Black people to immigrate to Canada, or the century of anti-Black racism which followed.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Saskatchewan in the 1920's had the highest number of KKK members per capita in all of North America. In fact it was the single group with the highest membership in all of Saskatchewan at the time. That kind of hatred and bigotry doesn't just die out in a couple generations.