• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising. Both from him and Legault. Just waiting on Kenney and his prairie pals to jump on the train and we'll be set.

Oct 25, 2017
The%20Scream.JPG

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I won't lie, half expected this statement to come from Quebec first.

globalnews.ca

Systemic racism exists in Quebec, Premier Legault: expert | Globalnews.ca

Quebec Premier François Legault admitted on Tuesday that “there is still work to be done” when it comes to combating racism in his province, but argued that Quebec should not compare itself to the United States as it has “not experienced slavery, and the history of the U.S." when it comes to...

"We have this discussion very often. I think that there is discrimination in Quebec, but there is not systemic discrimination," he said. "There's no system of discrimination, and it's a very, very small minority of people doing this discrimination."

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ford is white fucking trash and does not speak for me or Canada. He's as much a yahoo as those clowns protesting Covid.

Canada was built on racism and the backs of the oppressed. Our entire history of a country is predicated on systemic genocide. Fucking idiot.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the only reason Kenney hasn't joined in on this idiocy is because no cares what he has to say.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the only reason Kenney hasn't joined in on this idiocy is because no cares what he has to say.

Alberta surprised me today with the percentage of people who said this province would be better off with someone else as Premier. Kenney probably wanted to join in on the circus of stupidity, but then was left shook at how Alberta for once looked like the sane province.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Oh god, every European country has a problem with institutional racism, some countries are trying to deal with it more than others but it's still there.

The UK are guilty but I have to at least say I don't think it's at epidemic proportions of the United States currently. There's no denying it from my perspective on the UK, and I'm sure Canada is guilty of it too.

Last edited:

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Alberta surprised me today with the percentage of people who said this province would be better off with someone else as Premier. Kenney probably wanted to join in on the circus of stupidity, but then was left shook at how Alberta for once looked like the sane province.
Unfortunately it's for selfish reasons so I wouldn't give my province too much credit. It's amazing how quickly Albertans turn on their party when they can't afford their toys.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Infuriating and incredibly disrespectful. Unfortunately, many white Canadians are all too happy to just continue to live this disgusting lie. That this piece of shit could say this now, with everything going on, just goes to show how fucking racist this country and its power structures are.

I hope that some of that defiant fire raging through the streets of the US finds a welcoming hearth in Canada. We need it. Help burn out the ignorance of this WASP infestation.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, every European country has a problem with institutional and systematic racism, some countries are trying to deal with it more than others but it's still there.

The UK are guilty but I have to at least say I don't think it's at epidemic proportions of the United States currently. There's no denying it from my perspective on the UK, and I'm sure Canada is guilty of it too.

Canada is a settler colonial country. Systemic racism is how they got the ball rolling. Also Canada's first PM was so fucking insane with his indigenous hatred, that even some of his contemporaries thought the fucker was too much.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Canada is a settler colonial country. Systemic racism is how they got the ball rolling. Also Canada's first PM was so fucking insane with his indigenous hatred, that even some of his contemporaries thought the fucker was too much.

I obviously knew that it was a colonial country didn't know about your original PM!

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

Undoubtedly if they followed up on that poll and asked who they would prefer to replace him it would be another UCP premier.

This province sucks ass

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
didnt canada at one point sterilize natives?
Yes, among many MANY other things.

This is white Canadians' favourite lie to tell themselves
It's because of this...
As a Canadian here, I think there's a wide tendency to not even think about indigenous people when thinking or talking about racism in Canada.
... and it's a fucking travesty. Every colonized nation does this to its Indigenous peoples, too, so if you're from any one of those countries and patting yourselves on the back for not being racist like the US, you need to get your high horse lowered post-haste.

Guess douggy is going back to his old dumb ways.
... back to? That implies he stopped.
The fact that some Canadians don't even see the correlation to how Indigenous people are treated in Canada and how black people are treated in the US, proves how wilfully ignorant we are as a country.
That's sadly by design. Canada and the US have a long history of borrowing from each other's racism playbooks. The residential school system idea was seen as such a good "solution" that it was exported to the US. It was bad enough when we did it, but we just HAD to share it?! It's revolting, like much of our country's history. We use racist tactics to differing ends, but we still use them.

While stories of police violence and racial injustice flood the world, we shouldn't wait for another senseless tragedy inflicted upon the Indigenous to stand with them. Do it now. Donate, give material support and show them you're listening and will act on their words of suggestion for how you can be part of the solution. #DecolonizeCanada #IdleNoMore

On behalf of Ontarions, we apologize for Doug Ford.
Don't apologize, remove him.

Last edited:

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Well, that's a lie.

I've experienced racism here in Canada, I've gotten "You're the reason 9/11 happened" , "You're a foreigner so you can't make mistakes here", " "Oh, it must be the language barrier between us (I was speaking perfect English)", "Where are you from? (Tells them I was born and raised in Canada) No but where are YOU FROM?".

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissive commentary around racial issues across multiple posts, prior ban for sexist rhetoric
That is just factually wrong, but they certainly have (for the most part) grown out of it while America clearly has not. Every major city in Canada is a beautiful melting pot in my experience. Francophones vs Anglophones in Quebec like honestly tends to be the bigger issue there.

There are of course individuals that are exceptions to this, but broadly speaking Canada is doing a superb job considering how multicultural it is. Like, considerably better than every other multicultural country out there.

Support for their first nation peoples is still the most major area they could improve, but I'd argue that it is still leaps and bounds ahead of where America is with its own native population.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of australians (which is just hot canada) think the same too, just no.
Having lived in both countries for extended periods of time, I can tell you that Australia is absolutely not even close to Canada in this regard. The country does have a lot of non-whites but they aren't nearly as well integrated and racism is absolutely rampant.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
As a white Canadian... get real, Ford.

No, it isn't as... I want to say "loud" (but that's not really it...if we were as on the world stage as the US was, the protests earlier in the year probably would have been as "loud"), as the US, but it's here, it's real, and it's both overt and insidious.

Edit: I don't like the word "loud" here because it has negative connotations in this sense (and right now, the POC in the US, and the world, should rightfully be SCREAMING), but I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts.

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Ford needs to read a history book.

With that said support for Indigineous people in Canada has grown a lot, one of the biggest problems are the Bands themselves. The Chiefs and councils in a lot of the bands horde a lot of wealth that is given by the government, which keeps the members of the tribe in poverty.

Luckily the band I'm a part of uses their money to support people. An example of this is paying for post secondary education and giving full time students monthly allowances. Allowing the members to have access to education they otherwise wouldnt of been able to get.

Make no mistake First Nations people still are discriminated against, but I hope the tribes themselves and government continue to work together to solve the issues that plague so many indiginous people in Canada.

At least where I went to school a large portion of history in high school was all about the various horrible things that have been inflicted upon minorities in Canada throughout its history. Canada doesn't have the cleanest past, but I feel like we don't shy away from it in our education curriculum.

Last edited:

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Support for their first nation peoples is still the most major area they could improve, but I'd argue that it is still leaps and bounds ahead of where America is with its own native population.
Having lived in both countries for extended periods of time, I can tell you that Australia is absolutely not even close to Canada in this regard. The country does have a lot of non-whites but they aren't nearly as well integrated and racism is absolutely rampant.
I legitimately don't even know where to start with all this, so I'll just say that you're wrong and hope someone can be more verbose in response while my brain recovers.

Ford needs to read a history book.

With that said support for Indigineous people in Canada has grown a lot, one of the biggest problems are the Bands themselves. The Chiefs and councils in a lot of the bands horde a lot of wealth that is given by the government, which keeps the members of the tribe in poverty.

Luckily the band I'm a part of uses their money to support people. An example of this is paying for post secondary education and giving full time students monthly allowances. Allowing the members to have access to education they otherwise wouldnt of been able to get.

Make no mistake First Nations people still are discriminated against, but I hope the tribes themselves and government continue to work together to solve the issues that plague so many indiginous people in Canada.
Someone once explained to me that part of this was due to the fact that the relationship between the federal government and the Indigenous bands was/is as opaque as it can be. Transparency in how the government and the bands co-ordinate is often not forthcoming and that can encourage bad actors to manipulate that fact for their own gain, sadly.
But what would resolve a lot of that is some autonomy. I've heard stories about how wealthy Indigenous people want to grow the prosperity of the bands they left in order to go make prosperity for themselves and were shut out completely by the government. The federal and provincial governments seem dead-set on dictating a LOT of terms regarding what can and can't happen on a reserve, so it very effectively turns Indigenous reservations, the small carved-out chunks of Indigenous ancestral homelands, into permanent welfare states, whether the people living there like it or not, and the only way to expect better is seemingly through assimilation into white-majority Canada. It's an insidious and vicious cycle: stay and suffer at the hands of the government, or willingly accept the erosion of your culture and relinquish your ties to your own home. Either way, the Indigenous always lose.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
This isn't just Doug Ford. It feels like most Canadians don't care about right or wrong, only that we're better than the Americans. This inferiority complex really allows us to put our head in the sand and ignore problems here.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't just Doug Ford. It feels like most Canadians don't care about right or wrong, only that we're better than the Americans. This inferiority complex really allows us to put our head in the sand and ignore problems here.
It's been a Canadian problem for decades, if not longer.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately don't even know where to start with all this, so I'll just say that you're wrong and hope someone can be more verbose in response while my brain recovers.
Imagine bragging about being less racist than someone.
Look, I understand how dumb or naive it might come across. No country is perfect on this, or probably ever will be.And it doesn't mean that Canada doesn't still have room for improvement -- of course it does. But modern day Canada is probably the closest you're going to get a country that is truly multicultural and relatively accepting of all peoples.

If you can name me a country that handles it better, I'm all ears.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Look, I understand how dumb or naive it might come across. No country is perfect on this, or probably ever will be.And it doesn't mean that Canada doesn't still have room for improvement -- of course it does. But modern day Canada is probably the closest you're going to get a country that is truly multicultural and relatively accepting of all peoples.

If you can name me a country that handles it better, I'm all ears.
Dude, you were claiming that certain Indigenous groups in other countries had it worse than Canada's.
I come from Saskatchewan, which is the Canadian heartland of Indigenous racism. And I can tell you with absolute certainty that you're wrong.
Listen to the Indigenous peoples of this nation, please, instead of concocting a false narrative for yourself on anecdotal evidence.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Minorities always get short end of the stick. Only difference between Europe/Canda and US is that Europe/Canada has less black people so their wants and needs are easily brushed off. Canada can make the case of having less troubling history with slavery and racist laws that came after slavery ended, but they still have same problems as US... Just in smaller scale since there are less black people.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I'm thinking a lot of national leaders need to either show solidarity or just shut the fuck up right now. Lot of dirt done by all nations. Glass house, stones and all that shit.

Sorry I disagree with take.

Some nations closets are filled with far more dirt on foreign policies that span for centuries compare to the rest of world.

It's not even close of a comparison

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
As a Canadian here, I think there's a wide tendency to not even think about indigenous people when thinking or talking about racism in Canada.
"Shite white people say."

Unfortunately, most history completely and totally steamrolls over the indigenous or aboriginal communities to make the colonization of a native land have legitimacy.

It's absolutely bullshit.

"Let's hand wave the fact that people lived here and we totally killed them!"

As a white Canadian... get real, Ford.

No, it isn't as... I want to say "loud" (but that's not really it...if we were as on the world stage as the US was, the protests earlier in the year probably would have been as "loud"), as the US, but it's here, it's real, and it's both overt and insidious.

Edit: I don't like the word "loud" here because it has negative connotations in this sense (and right now, the POC in the US, and the world, should rightfully be SCREAMING), but I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts.
I would use the word tension or tense.

I am a POC, and while I also want to say things like loud, putting anything like that comes off wrong, because it is used against us. So I am double-edge sword code switching.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
what has been insane to me as these bullshit stories get shared on twitter, is just the vast amount of white canadians who are down right INCENSED at the idea that Canada also suffers from racism. no sense of irony or self-awareness, which is to be expected but man it's so deflating having grown up with these experiences and having them all routinely brushed aside

"Canadians burnt down the white house ya know! ;) "
has the same energy as
"I would've voted for Obama a third time if I could"

or maybe it's worse? fuck.