• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
That'... a contradiction, is it not? How can you keep supporting a device without releasing new software for it? Unless you're speaking about Virtual console, online stuff etc.

Just wait for the next Direct with "News on upcoming Switch and 3DS titles."

Not even kidding, this could easily mean they have nothing to announce right now, even if they're planning something for the holidays.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Incredible library and it's given me some great memories but it's one of the only pieces of hardware that genuinely takes me out of the games.

I've had to go through three revisions of the hardware to finally be somewhat satisfied with the screen and ergonomics. My 3DS XL genuinely strained my eyes, cramped my palms and then broke apart within months anyway.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Also decided to get 2 white 3DS XL's from ebay last month because I knew the end was coming.

Gh8n75R_d.jpg

Last edited:

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
Aw that's a shame, I prefer playing on the 3DS than trying to play handheld on the Switch. It's far too clunky.

There's good reason why they skipped it, Bowser inside story heavily relies on the duel screen set up and can't be realistically be remade without redesigning the game to work on a single screen. Plus it was the best selling Mario and Luigi game.

Partners in Time, however doesn't really use the whole duel screen set up. So it can be remade on the Switch, should they ever opt to do it.
I know about the double screen situation, but it still bugs. Like why the hell go from the fisrts straight to the third? Like, they should go by order, it's the logical thing lol

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how many people, after the announcement of Sword and Shield, still believe in an unannounced 3DS successor.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
The n3DS is my favorite machine for homebrew and emulation. Portable access to SNES and GBA games is fantastic. I even collected some Japan exclusive faceplates when I bought the Pokemon 20th anniversary version.

Contrary to others in this thread, it's one of my favorite Nintendo handhelds. It still makes me wonder how awesome the DSi could have been if it maintained GBA support.

Oct 26, 2017
It was a damn fine system but, yeah, the writing was on the wall at this point. Outside of maybe some random late releases from some Japanese studios, the systems major support was concluded a year or two ago. Still, a shame that traditional handhelds are done. The 3DS gave me more fun than the Wii U or PS4, tbh, even if it wasn't quite as good as the DS but, at this point, I'm all in on the Switch, save for maybe a release or two I wanna pick up on the 3DS before its too late

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Switch mini most likely. I don't see the point of another hardware platform.

Maybe something small and inexpensive that comes with 30 or so built-in NES/GB/SNES games and has a digital download store for more. Maybe GBA, DS, and others. Just to have another source of revenue since the Classics line has seemingly ended and amiibo has mostly dried up.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe something small and inexpensive that comes with 30 or so built-in NES/GB/SNES games and has a digital download store for more. Maybe GBA, DS, and others. Just to have another source of revenue since the Classics line has seemingly ended and amiibo has mostly dried up.
That sounds absurdly pointless. Built in games would solely be for the Classics line. If you're gonna include a built in store, you might as well just put them on the Switch

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how that system launched, it has faired quite well. See you on the other side old friend.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe some folks want to play Super Mario Bros. but don't want to drop $300 to do so.

But they would drop $50 to do so.
Making a built in store for just one niche system with built in games is pointless. The audience for that isn't as big as you'd think it is. That and most people seem to be just fine with dropping $300 for a Switch and, once revisions and price drops hit to make it more appealing, more people will buy it than before

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Making a built in store for just one niche system with built in games is pointless. The audience for that isn't as big as you'd think it is. That and most people seem to be just fine with dropping $300 for a Switch and, once revisions and price drops hit to make it more appealing, more people will buy it than before

You're probably right, but we're talking about Nintendo, and Nintendo is anything but predictable.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
what else is he going to say... "well we'll ride it out to the ground with some extra pokemon and mario kart money, parents won't know all the better til swich mini . we've still got a pulse on it"

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It was a great console but thank fucking god we are finally out of the 240p ghetto.

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand why so many ERA users absolutely despise the 3DS. It's a great system with an amazing library. It's not as technically advanced as other handhelds, but... what's the issue with that?

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I will never understand why so many ERA users absolutely despise the 3DS. It's a great system with an amazing library. It's not as technically advanced as other handhelds, but... what's the issue with that?

I think the issue is that the screens are low resolution even for a 2010 device. That's the main issue.

3DS was cool for awhile but its doesn't have as good a library as DS and at this point, with Wii U releasing in 2013 and Switch in 2017, looking at that screen is kinda harsh.

Been thinking about going back to some of the games I missed though.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Lately, I've only seen bundles at that price, too. So it's $79 with a game. A friend got one yesterday at Target and it came with New Super Mario Bros. 2 and A Link Between Worlds. Great value. I'm really looking forward to a Switch revision with a new Nintendo Selects lineup.
Wtf, those games cost $59 together

That's a $20 2DS

Oct 25, 2017
It is a fantastic legacy platform for the old GB and GBC titles that are on there. Can play every generation of handheld but GBA on there :(

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It is a fantastic legacy platform for the old GB and GBC titles that are on there. Can play every generation of handheld but GBA on there :(

If you were an ambassador you can play some select titles.

Also!, if you install custom firmware you can run all GBA games natively. Not emulated but actual hardware backwards compatibility. It's pretty amazing.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that Bowser is a villain. He's just waiting to drop that Metroid 5 on 3DS bomb on all of you.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, easily one of the best Nintendo systems ever made.

So many quality titles that I can easily see myself replaying for years to come.

Goodnight sweet prince. May your slumber be eternally peaceful.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
The 3DS came out when I was still in High School, and I'm now wrapping up my Masters... the thing needs to die already.

That being said, being able to jump in at $80 is a fantastic deal. Say what you want about overpriced games on Nintendo's end, but they really hit the nail on the head with their budget-priced 2DS model. A great way to introduce casual gamers, kids, and families to the backlog of games on it. Not everyone can afford a $300+ system.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I need to pick up a 2DS XL... hoping for a sale on them at some point. What are the chances of retailers blowing these out to clear stock at some point?