• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Double Fine's business development VP, Greg Rice, has left the company just months after the studio was acquired by Microsoft.

As spotted by our friends at VGC, Rice confirmed the departure on his personal Twitter account on Friday. He'd been at the studio for almost ten years across a range of positions, but most recently led the company's publishing business, Double Fine Presents.

Concerns about Double Fine's publishing arm surfaced shortly after Microsoft's acquisition back in June, with boss Tim Schafer saying at the time: "How Double Fine Presents will evolve is kind of an unknown," and that "from a business sense, I don't know if it structurally makes sense to have a publisher within [another publisher]. It's a complicated issue".

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they got bought by Microsoft, they're not gonna do any more publishing any time soon.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense, but it's sad. Greg always seemed like a really chill person. Hopefully, it was of his own accord.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Yeah there's probably not much more business to develop now that they're a Microsoft studio.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Greg has always seemed like a really great guy. He's worn many hats over the years, so if he wanted to stay at DF I'm sure he could have switched to a different role. Therefore this seems like he legitimately just wants to do something new, or at least go in a different direction than where DF is heading in the future. I also wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back at DF somewhere down the line.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hope he's going to green pastures, it's been awesome to see his work for us gaming public in the documentaries and chatting to him in person at events. Can't miss the tallest man in gaming.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
The last tweet is most important. He's leaving for something else.

Dude always seemed cool so good luck to him.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Double fine genuinely has always seemed like one of the chillest places to work at in the industry. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Having watched all of the 2 Player Productions vids on DoubleFine, it's clear that Greg is a rad, chill dude. All the best for him wherever he's landing next.