• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is amazing.. any word on a steam release? Arc System Works is pretty active in Steam.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Were the Japanese-only games in English?
They are not. They use some English where they did originally (player 1, start, etc) but they are not fully localized. The game descriptions, options, all menus, etc, are all perfectly done though. Even the Switch icon is localized. It's worth noting that in some cases the English version is available right alongside the Japanese one, but it would definitely be cool to have the Japan-only releases fully in English. Which is maybe what they're doing here?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
They are not. They use some English where they did originally (player 1, start, etc) but they are not fully localized. The game descriptions, options, all menus, etc, are all perfectly done though. Even the Switch icon is localized. It's worth noting that in some cases the English version is available right alongside the Japanese one, but it would definitely be cool to have the Japan-only releases fully in English. Which is maybe what they're doing here?

that's what i'm curious about.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So these are all NES ports? Not arcade?
Yup. Arguably the DD NES versions are better than the arcade in many aspects. I'd argue most people's fond memories of DD2 are from the NES rather than arcade. DD3, in particular, is a huge piece of shit in arcades and the NES game, while lambasted by most, is at least different an interesting.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Arguably the DD NES versions are better than the arcade in many aspects. I'd argue most people's fond memories of DD2 are from the NES rather than arcade. DD3, in particular, is a huge piece of shit in arcades and the NES game, while lambasted by most, is at least different an interesting.

This is probably the case for most of the games for most people (I prefer the arcade games in a few cases and the NES games in others), but it's disappointing a collection that goes this far wouldn't go the extra steps to provide a complete history.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
A number of these games are dear to me, and I always seem to love playing Kunio games. My first thought of course was "Is this on Switch too!?" but a lot of these games are already in NSO. I wonder if these versions will be different.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
This is probably the case for most of the games for most people (I prefer the arcade games in a few cases and the NES games in others), but it's disappointing a collection that goes this far wouldn't go the extra steps to provide a complete history.

yeah. the contra collection did it right, even if everyone in the universe prefers the NES games.

does anyone actually prefer the NES original DD to the arcade?

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Oh wow this would be amazing if they actually go in and localize the kunio stuff! I'm buying it regardless but here's hoping.

Everyone needs to try jidaigeki/kunio's period piece, it's actually river city ransom 2 imo. Ranks up as probably the best or second best beat em up in the series for me, and I've played most of them.

Not worried about arcade releases. On kunio's side it's slim pickings outside of super dodge ball neogeo but idk if that can even be released? And for double dragon arcade those are readily available elsewhere already no? My preferred way to play them is the fan made Double Dragon Reloaded.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
Yo I legit just bought the Japanese version of this for switch last week. Watch it be just my luck it gets localized and released on switch too!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
yeah. the contra collection did it right, even if everyone in the universe prefers the NES games.

does anyone actually prefer the NES original DD to the arcade?
*raises hand*

As much as I do like the arcade DD, I have far more fond memories of the NES game and, frankly, find that it plays better. Hit detection isn't shitty, the enemies are at least a little less annoying about hitting you while you attack and it just feels more "fair" overall even though it's still tough as nails.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to bemoan the fact that NES only meant no arcade version of Renegade.

Then I remembered that it's available already on Switch in one of the Hamster releases.

I'm an idiot.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Huh, bought this on XBOX Digital last year, hopefully it'll update to my region when/if it gets released.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
*raises hand*

As much as I do like the arcade DD, I have far more fond memories of the NES game and, frankly, find that it plays better. Hit detection isn't shitty, the enemies are at least a little less annoying about hitting you while you attack and it just feels more "fair" overall even though it's still tough as nails.

isn't it single-player?

i had the Master System DD as a kid and all my friends were thrilled to play it over the NES one.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I really need a Switch release date. Got eshop credit burning a hole that I'll never be able to hold on to!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Kunio seems like such a difficult series to get into because there's so many releases that are either re-releases, remakes, or somehow sequels. It seems that this collection appears to feature arcade and NES era games so it largely avoids that, but it's a thing I've noticed with later entries.

Very cool to see a stronger focus on such a brand in the last few years or so.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
isn't it single-player?

i had the Master System DD as a kid and all my friends were thrilled to play it over the NES one.
Yup, good old alternating multiplayer, which is essentially just single player anyway. I'm fine with the game being that way, though, because I didn't play a lot of co-op games back in the day (and still barely do).

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The original DD was an awesome and influential arcade game and the NES version - while technically inferior - was a great game too even if it was different than the arcade.

DDII in the arcade felt a bit clunky; the NES version felt snappier in terms of gameplay and enjoyed better level design.

DDIII flatly sucked as an arcade game and was marginally better on the NES.

Super Double Dragon and Double Dragon Advance - both console/handheld exclusives - are widely considered to be the apex of the franchise so DD really has enjoyed an interesting trajectory in terms of where the series found its best iterations.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was about to bemoan the fact that NES only meant no arcade version of Renegade.

Then I remembered that it's available already on Switch in one of the Hamster releases.

I'm an idiot.

That game is so fucking hard. You can't pop in credits to keep yourself alive so if you can't clear out the areas with the lives provided by one play, you have to start all over.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The original DD was an awesome and influential arcade game and the NES version - while technically inferior - was a great game too even if it was different than the arcade.

DDII in the arcade felt a bit clunky; the NES version felt snappier in terms of gameplay and enjoyed better level design.

DDIII flatly sucked as an arcade game and was marginally better on the NES.

Super Double Dragon and Double Dragon Advance - both console/handheld exclusives - are widely considered to be the apex of the franchise so DD really has enjoyed an interesting trajectory in terms of where the series found its best iterations.
Yup.

Then we got Neon which was amazing.
Then we got IV which was... dammit, why?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
No clue.

I'm waiting for Arc to give us a REAL DD experience. I want it as much as I want want that new Streets of Rage.
I know I'm crazy, but if ASW still makes it and they don't farm it out to another developer again (go with WF again maybe? They've essentially done two of them, now) I'd be fine with doing something out there like Hard Core Uprising. Just make it super fast and snappy and do weird stuff. Anime it up. Make it HARD ROCKIN'

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Crash N The Boys Street Challenge?! Fuck yes!!

Wait, does this mean that we're getting the cancelled USA port of Crash N The Boys Ice Challenge too? I'm curious if the Japan only releases will be in English.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
That Kunio samurai game getting an official English release after all these years is nuts!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's no effin way they're going to translate all those Kunio Beat'em Up RPGs. It would be amazing, but there's no way.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Crash N The Boys Street Challenge?! Fuck yes!!

Wait, does this mean that we're getting the cancelled USA port of Crash N The Boys Ice Challenge too? I'm curious if the Japan only releases will be in English.
As far as we know, no translation work was ever completed before it got cancelled. The only NES ROM anyone has ever found was completely identical to the Japanese.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
That game is so fucking hard. You can't pop in credits to keep yourself alive so if you can't clear out the areas with the lives provided by one play, you have to start all over.
Lol. I haven't played it for decades, so I have no recollection of the difficulty at all. I suck at everything, so it probably didn't stand out to me as any harder than anything else!

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Wow! 11 Never before translated NES games! I wonder if they used fan translations.

Does anyone with the Japanese version know if the NES emulator they used clears up sprite flicker and slowdown? This could be one of the greatest compilations ever if it does.