• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Edit: Coming on February 20th for PS4 and Switch. All titles are confirmed localised into English!

This was already released in Japan as 'Kunio-kun: The World Classics Collection' but now a listing on PSN shows it's coming to the west under this title.

2WvEumr.jpg

(thanks to gematsu)

Last edited:

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Wow if same as JP lineup with localizations

(holy shit it looks like there are english localized titles on all the famicom boxes... good god)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Been waiting for this, though I'd thought it was just Kunio-kun games. As previous collections released on other platforms as well, hoping it'll pop up on Steam and other platforms soon as well.

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Didnt notice until now they're giving these titles new English names (I think) and updated the cover art, pretty cool

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i hope they ditch most of the japanese only titles for some of the 16 bit double dragon

dream: 2 player gba double dragon

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Super Dodge Ball ?!

I'm probably in for that alone. Full stop.

I remember trying River City Ransom when I was a kid, but I was just too young to figure out how to progress. I must have rented Super Dodge Ball like 5 times though.

Definitely down to try RCR again after River City Girls last year though.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
This is awesome.
Hopefully it has Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer. The western version should be impossible, though...

220px-Nintendo_World_Cup_Cover.jpg

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lineup should be the same. Japanese home screen background for comparison (has all the same games):

b9YJJua.gif

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
Shout out to them for going all out and (apparently) localizing some of these titles for the first time, despite knowing this isn't something that will sell a ton.

I'll probably get this to try some of those sports games I've never played. I love the dodgeball ones.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Playing up the Double Dragon games for the western release is a good move.

Really curious to see if any of the games get new localizations. It's not unheard of these days (Monster World 4, Kid Dracula, Trials of Mana) but still pretty uncommon. Even just a few getting localizations would be amazing.

(Also I'm loving ArcSys's new focus on Kunio and Double Dragon, even if they've almost overloaded us with new releases lately)

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I only played Double Dragon NES for the first time when it came to Switch NES Online... surprisingly awesome and holds up really well gameplay wise. I'm interested!

Nov 1, 2017
Hell yeah, even includes Renegade. I played that on NES and later on wondered why Double Dragon and River City Ransom was so like it. Wasn't until a few years later learned the connections.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
(Also I'm loving ArcSys's new focus on Kunio and Double Dragon, even if they've almost overloaded us with new releases lately)

I definitely do, as well, but I dare hope that maybe it'll lead to something a bit more...profound, I want to say?

I still personally hope that one day ArcSys will just go for it and give us a proper DD + Kunio crossover fighting game. At least all this exposure, plus appearances in new games like that 8-bit thing and the Smash spirits, is all serving to remind people who these great characters are.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
the period piece Kunio one is pretty fun-- first time in english i think.

too bad the SNES Kunio game isn't on here, it's probably the best in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't fucking believe it! I just got the platinum for the Asian version last year (It was my most played game according to the New Years stats)

Still. I'm a sucker for these games. Here's hoping for a physical version. I wonder if River City Girls had anythimg to do with this...

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that they used "Kunio-Kun" name in West instead of "River City". I kinda liked that they were referred as River City series in West.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I don't see how anyone was surprised it was coming over, considering it was released on the Xbox One in Japan.

Iceman2343

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see official translations of the games that never came out here originally. I imported the japanese version last year and had been picking through some of them slowly, as language for some of the games was a barrier for me due to the menus. The Kunio-kun/River City games have always been my favorite.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I am legit shocked at them localizing the untranslated Kunio-kun games. I hope that's the case at least, but I can't wait to get my hands on this even if they didn't.