• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I just played the tutorial to get a hang of any differences from what I normally play (AC:O) and wow! This is a very clean interface, and smooth-as-butter gameplay. Drodo is gonna have a tough time competing with this thing.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
A battlepass style track has been datamined but what will be in there aside from maps? I see little banners being planted when you fight a human. Portraits seem like a no brainier but I'd like something interactive.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kn2DG1L.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Since auto chess is relatively new, you can probably explore a lot of things. Dances for units when you win a round, sounds, of course portraits and things -- skins seem like they might be slightly hard to do right for a game like this, but I suppose it's not out of the question. Maps should probably be free and global things, but players could place little items on the sides or something... it's pretty open.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Man, even if it's not the best build, I'm in love with Blood-Bound! It's so freaking fun to watch your dudes grow humongous enough to one shot enemies.

Really looking forward to the Android release.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any tips for dealing with shadow fiend? had a guy roll a meat wall in front of a 3 star SF and I couldn't do shit. his ult just disintergrated all my guys

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
2p1bzU5.png

The patch fucked up my interface.

Pieces are now completely misaligned in all three of the aspect ratios forcing me to click in weird places to drag them

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I actually quite like the style and fleshed out feeling of Drodo's mobile Auto Chess but I don't want to commit to becoming invested if Valve are going to hit the ground running with this thing.

Gimmie that mobile version Volvo - can't wait!

Sponged

Oct 29, 2017
So I have a couple hundred hours in both Dota autochess and the drodo autochess on mobile.
While I really like items being less random and appreciating having the Dota characters back after the awful phone version ones. Something just feels off compared to the original and I can't get into it at all. I can't really find what it is exactly but I never find myself wanting to play again on underlords, where I'll play a whole night on auto chess.

Kind of gutted as autochess is heading to the epic store and I would have preferred sticking to the steam one.

Does anyone else feel the same and prefer autochess or is it looking like underlords will come out on top?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I think the balance right now is off. It feels like you fall into the same 3 larger bonus traits (warrior/mage/knights).
Stuff like trolls, beasts, assassins etc a lot of the other synergies just get annihilated. Maybe I'm missing something to make them work but it's so much easier to warriors work as you can branch out easily into whatever else is there while still having good survivability once you hit 3-6.

Autochess to me felt a bit more interesting since frequent balance patches and general balance made more combinations feel more viable.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Does anyone else feel the same and prefer autochess or is it looking like underlords will come out on top?

My guess is that League players/fans will go to TFT, DOTA players/fans will go to Underlords, and then anyone left might go to Drodo but I'm not sure how many would be left at that point. They do have the advantage of being first and establishing a player base but part of me wonders how going to Epic on PC will affect things there (although that shouldn't affect their mobile player base). It's also pretty early with this genre and I expect all three of them to continue to improve their offerings and so what might be best right now might not be the best in a few months depending on how things go.

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
So I have a couple hundred hours in both Dota autochess and the drodo autochess on mobile.
While I really like items being less random and appreciating having the Dota characters back after the awful phone version ones. Something just feels off compared to the original and I can't get into it at all. I can't really find what it is exactly but I never find myself wanting to play again on underlords, where I'll play a whole night on auto chess.

Kind of gutted as autochess is heading to the epic store and I would have preferred sticking to the steam one.

I feel exactly the same way here.

Well, I am completely fine with exclusively playing on Drodo mobile if the PC version is Epic exclusive.

Being the original devs, they do have a better hand on the pulse and I feel balance is tighter here.
There's also a sunken cost fallacy I have to deal with - we're practically at the midway point through the first Drodo battlepass.

Underlords is sorely missing the Always On race-type display that Drodo has. Without hovering over anything in Drodo, I can tell which sets I'm closing to completing.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm just waiting for the mobile version to release. Enjoy Auto Chess way more on my iPad. Great while watching something.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
As a noobie, this or LoL version? I have seen more of this and the OG Auto-Chess... but which one would you suggest?

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm having a blast playing this. It's perfect to relax before going to sleep.

I like the interface a lot, but I think it requires a couple more clicks than the mobile version from Drodo. It's not much of a big problem though and I have got used fairly quickly.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the balance right now is off. It feels like you fall into the same 3 larger bonus traits (warrior/mage/knights).
Stuff like trolls, beasts, assassins etc a lot of the other synergies just get annihilated. Maybe I'm missing something to make them work but it's so much easier to warriors work as you can branch out easily into whatever else is there while still having good survivability once you hit 3-6.

Autochess to me felt a bit more interesting since frequent balance patches and general balance made more combinations feel more viable.
Yep. In my last match I struggled with both my build and economy for 20 rounds while someone else was already on 50 on turn 11 and having not one round lost since start. At the end he had 6 beasts, all druids and something else. I just happened to pick up this brawny bonus with permanent 50 hp on kill and the warrior one with 2 seconds more after death. Went 4 brawny, 6 warrior and 3 hunter. They simply weren't able to kill me. 2 star axe with 3.3k hp and a radiance dealt as much damage as their enigma they just bought to counter me. 2 star disruptor with refresher and also like 900 bonus hp just decimated their entire team. It's not normal to struggle for 20 rounds with others going perfect and still getting first in the end. And I mean struggle, not just going losing streak, but getting completely rekt both in build and eco for way too long.

Balance is super whacky rn. Which is a shame, because the item system in general is a good idea imo. Which makes it weird that I was able to get top 3 in the Drodo version way more consistently than here.
As a noobie, this or LoL version? I have seen more of this and the OG Auto-Chess... but which one would you suggest?
It's really just down to preference. Personally, while I played both DotA and LoL for equal amounts of time (way too much, talking since beta for both here), I don't really like LoL's version that much. The caroussel isn't to my liking, the board feels off and too small and so on. I'd just try out both and decide for yourself. They are both free after all.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. In my last match I struggled with both my build and economy for 20 rounds while someone else was already on 50 on turn 11 and having not one round lost since start. At the end he had 6 beasts, all druids and something else. I just happened to pick up this brawny bonus with permanent 50 hp on kill and the warrior one with 2 seconds more after death. Went 4 brawny, 6 warrior and 3 hunter. They simply weren't able to kill me. 2 star axe with 3.3k hp and a radiance dealt as much damage as their enigma they just bought to counter me. 2 star disruptor with refresher and also like 900 bonus hp just decimated their entire team. It's not normal to struggle for 20 rounds with others going perfect and still getting first in the end. And I mean struggle, not just going losing streak, but getting completely rekt both in build and eco for way too long.

Balance is super whacky rn. Which is a shame, because the item system in general is a good idea imo. Which makes it weird that I was able to get top 3 in the Drodo version way more consistently than here.

It's really just down to preference. Personally, while I played both DotA and LoL for equal amounts of time (way too much, talking since beta for both here), I don't really like LoL's version that much. The caroussel isn't to my liking, the board feels off and too small and so on. I'd just try out both and decide for yourself. They are both free after all.
Honestly after stopping experimenting and just going straight warriors with the goal to hit 6 minimum has gotten me really consistent top 2(6 games in a row). Only thing that beats it is someone that snowballs into mages. Because for warriors the only magic resist you're going to get is medusa/slardar. Another facet that makes warriors strong is you snowball so hard when you get 9 cause what you usually then happens is a lot of warriors surviving with low hp = more dmg to enemies. It's trivial to have 7-9 of them somehow stay alive against anything that isn't full on mage.

But yeah I have similar experiences where I lose with warriors early but as long as I play the economy smart the power spike you get with 6 warriors is insane. Right now it's also the most fun to play in a way because at least you have to adjust the 4 last pieces depending on what you get(which isn't good hope a balance patch is out soon). But honestly a lot of the early compositions need buffs the way they drop off is insane. Really weird that warriors are getting items like the 2 more seconds after death thing when then seems to be like a good rng bandaid to help assassins out. Not really sure I'll trust Valve to get there eventually and there are various ways you could accomplish stuff but I think personally I want to see more tanky pieces that aren't warrior/knight that would help a lot.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Really having fun with this as my first time with auto chess. I agree with everyone though that the balance seems a bit off and you basically end up going warriors every time. I was hoping the mobile client would be out today since I have a slow day at work. Guess I'll try the Drodo mobile version while I wait.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly after stopping experimenting and just going straight warriors with the goal to hit 6 minimum has gotten me really consistent top 2(6 games in a row). Only thing that beats it is someone that snowballs into mages. Because for warriors the only magic resist you're going to get is medusa/slardar. Another facet that makes warriors strong is you snowball so hard when you get 9 cause what you usually then happens is a lot of warriors surviving with low hp = more dmg to enemies. It's trivial to have 7-9 of them somehow stay alive against anything that isn't full on mage.

But yeah I have similar experiences where I lose with warriors early but as long as I play the economy smart the power spike you get with 6 warriors is insane. Right now it's also the most fun to play in a way because at least you have to adjust the 4 last pieces depending on what you get(which isn't good hope a balance patch is out soon). But honestly a lot of the early compositions need buffs the way they drop off is insane. Really weird that warriors are getting items like the 2 more seconds after death thing when then seems to be like a good rng bandaid to help assassins out. Not really sure I'll trust Valve to get there eventually and there are various ways you could accomplish stuff but I think personally I want to see more tanky pieces that aren't warrior/knight that would help a lot.
Yeah, mages or 6+ warriors seems the way to go. Also don't get what the 2 sec warrior buff is doing in there. The brawny one however absolutely helps that comp in lategame if you get the pieces early enough. The hp gain is ridiculous, and it's a great frontline if you have all 4. But I don't think it would work without the added warrior bonus you go for anyway because axe and jugger already share it.

Fully agreed on making earlygame comps more viable. Goblin always was like that with a great endgame mechanic, but others aren't so lucky. I had a 6 undead comp thanks to that perk that gives your humans undead as well, and got fucked really hard lol.

Also we need more pieces. I hate going trolls and have to have that batrider in there just because. Game needs Dazzle and Io asap. And while I guess going warrior nets you good results, in the other version I went all sorts of stuff and was able to catch a top spot. Knight/Troll/Warlock, elemental/assasin/warlock and stuff like that. Pure elusive was neat as well.

Oh and nerf Kunkka.

Status
Not open for further replies.