• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
Never bothered with Auto Chess in the Dota 2 client but I'll give this a go, first impression is every hero is now as low poly as Morphling. :)

I'm curious what this is running on. The fact that there's an iOS and Android version right off the bat makes me doubt that it's Source.

A quick glance at the game folder and it very much looks to be standard Source 2 stuff.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm confused, is it out now? Or after a week in open beta?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
not the biggest fan of some of the look, although it will probably look much better and be more readable on a small screen because of it

it's still ten times better than the awful art of that mobile version

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
bxGIcwY.gif

I think this is an underlord. A Dota Yoda, visible in the background of https://underlords.com/

PkvIelc.png

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The race to clone this game has been insane. Feels bad for the og devs, they didn't get much time to profit from their creation.
Yes and no. They actually did profit even from the days when it was just a mod. From what I've heard they're very well off to the point that money wasn't too big of a concern for them + now they of course have epic's backing.

But yes it's a rough business and if your idea is gold it's no going to be easy to compete against elite teams of seasoned devs with the backing of a big publisher.
-------------
Honestly seems like a bit of a premature release to me UI looks ROUGH but I guess their hand was forced. But it seems to follow the mod very closely(outside of lessening the item rng) + lots of quality of life controls so that's not a bad start for people used to the custom game itself.

Chunchun

Jun 9, 2019
Even tutorial isn't ready... Valve made this game in 4-5 months, not much to except from it.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The look and feel of the game is pretty good imho. And it got Pudge which makes it a default win.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly seems like a bit of a premature release to me UI looks ROUGH but I guess their hand was forced. But it seems to follow the mod very closely(outside of lessening the item rng) + lots of quality of life controls so that's not a bad start for people used to the custom game itself.
I think the reason the UI looks how it does is because the mobile version is being released soon and it was probably easier to make a UI that works on both then later reiterate on the PC version. The UI looks very mobile friendly.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason the UI looks how it does is because the mobile version is being released soon and it was probably easier to make a UI that works on both then later reiterate on the PC version. The UI looks very mobile friendly.
Checks out. Hope the main game shapes up well in a decent time (without killing devs of course).
But I would love for them to focus on maybe providing a somewhat decent solo experience in the future.
Looking at the revamped item system I can easily imagine a slay the spire solo run game mode version of this.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Anyone else like the UI? I know it's tailored for mobiles and all that but I honestly really like the look on PC and would be completely fine with them sticking with it. Obviously offer options and all that jazz but anyone else in this boat?

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Even the mobile version is out soon? This auto chess race sure is fascinating to watch. Never expected that from Valve.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else like the UI? I know it's tailored for mobiles and all that but I honestly really like the look on PC and would be completely fine with them sticking with it. Obviously offer options and all that jazz but anyone else in this boat?
It's definetly more readable and easer to get into than the mod version, so there's that.

Oct 27, 2017
Even the mobile version is out soon? This auto chess race sure is fascinating to watch. Never expected that from Valve.

Artifact team has expressed a great interest in Auto Chess back in December. The damage control is there, "Plans for Artifact", but I think it is safe to assume that Dota Underlords will decapitate the corpse of Artifact.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I like the less bullshit item rng here, next week I'll probably jump over to this as my permanent auto chess fix.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's definetly more readable and easer to get into than the mod version, so there's that.
Yup. Jumped into the Purge stream and the first thing I noticed was how clear and legible the UI was compared to the mod. Makes a world's difference imo.

Real excited to try this out later.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Valve is madman. Making it exclusive to Battle Pass for a week is genius.
Prizepool gonna skyrocket.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Won my first game with 9 Warriors + 2 star Gyrocopter. There are some great new features such as hero item swapping and you get to choose from 3 rewards after each creep round. There seem to be a lot of new items and I don't believe you have to do any combining.

I'm not a huge fan of the UI. It's obviously intended to look the same across all platforms including mobile. I'd like to be able to chat. Also no mini-map and courier is kind of a bummer. You don't need a courier really with their drag-n-drop system but having an animated avatar to represent your life total is charming in AutoChess.

Overall I think it's a very solid product for being so early in development. Excited to see where this goes.

3D7796596A26E01ADB340DF26A602EFD6C4ADAAD

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. Jumped into the Purge stream and the first thing I noticed was how clear and legible the UI was compared to the mod. Makes a world's difference imo.

Real excited to try this out later.
It really does. The mobile version with the crappy artstyle already has so many improvements over the mod, but this looks really good in that aspect. I find the lessening of RNG elements with the item system the most promising change. Shit got ridiculous sometimes in the mod, and less is more sometimes. What I'm not happy about though is having to ditch my Bishop5 account from the OG mobile version when this comes out lol.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine they'll implement some sort of courier avatar eventually? It seems like that's an easy way to add cosmetic customizations to the game.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Won my first game with 9 Warriors + 2 star Gyrocopter. There are some great new features such as hero item swapping and you get to choose from 3 rewards after each creep round. There seem to be a lot of new items and I don't believe you have to do any combining.

I'm not a huge fan of the UI. It's obviously intended to look the same across all platforms including mobile. I'd like to be able to chat. Also no mini-map and courier is kind of a bummer. You don't need a courier really with their drag-n-drop system but having an animated avatar to represent your life total is charming in AutoChess.

Overall I think it's a very solid product for being so early in development. Excited to see where this goes.

3D7796596A26E01ADB340DF26A602EFD6C4ADAAD
the auto combining and item trading are almost worth ten bucks alone

I also trust valve on balancing more than some randos so I expect a better game in the long term

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Not too bad, much smother than the Dota mod althought its been a 1/2 months since Ive played it.

Im guessing they will add new tilesets and maybe custom hero sets to make money off this instead of couriers.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Interested in giving this a try next week to see what auto chess is all about.

Valve put out Artifact last year, Underlords this year and and they're planning on putting out a VR game this year (probably Half Life VR). They seem to be moving back into game development pretty aggressively (Or at least as aggressively as a company of 350 people that does a bunch of other stuff can).

monkyrez

Oct 27, 2017
Would have been nice if Valve gave pre-open beta access to all of us suckers who bought Artifact, but I'm still excited to try this next week. I'm still not sure where my Auto Chess allegiance is gonna lie after this, the LoL, and the EGS ones are all out. Though I will say that Valve having cross-play and progression out of the gate is really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.