• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And of course I just got my first win...the very first game after I got home. And it was a wire-to-wire blowout win where I had 91 health remaining!

👍
Link
This week's update will arrive on Thursday. We're currently wrapping up a few experimental features we'd like to get your feedback on, and they require a bit more testing before we put them in front of you.

Features to look forward to on this Thursday's update:
  • Warlock Alliance rework.
  • Warlock Units tweaks.
  • Shaman Alliance rework.
  • Shaman Units tweaks.
  • 3 New Items.
  • Tweaks to the Alliance Items and how they work.
  • Tweaks to Win and Lose Streaks.
  • Large Scoreboard.
  • And some experimental features.

The week after you'll see the release of progression and what we call the Proto-Battle Pass. This beta Battle Pass will let us iterate on the system with you and get your feedback on what works and what doesn't plus what kind of content you'd like the Season 1 Battle Pass to include.

See you all later this week.
hypu getto

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
Looked good a couple of times now, then usually get absolutely stomped by knights with a medusa in the middle

I dont know, this game feels like so much luck

If they group up in a ball, try to get enigma.

Though only thing that screws up enigma are assassins and blink daggers.

Plus it is good vs neutrals but I don't really have any problems with neutrals in this game compared to autochess.

Last edited:

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
The worst is scalies, you need a miracle to get a 3* Slark+Slardar+Medusa to have it even work, and even then I dunno what you can even compliment them with to not lose.

When I get retatliation offered, I usually take it. You just plop a Slardar in the middle front of the board and let him dump a ton of damage into the other team when they try to focus him. Slardar+medusa is a pretty serious anti-knight build because retaliation is pure damage. Demons are also a serious anti-knight comp because they do pure damage as well, meaning it cuts through knight reductions.
okUnBH8.jpg
I had a series of rolls completely screw me three games ago, so I got knocked down to L4. Hopefully will crack Boss rank today or tomorrow.

the two games show how 3*'s can be streaky, and how their value is unpredictable.

In the first game I did not get a single 3* roll to go my way, but the comp was still strong. in the second game, the 3*s were underwhelming, but the double 2* dragon knights did like 15k damage a round. I had the dragon attack damage relic so I stocked gold to get the win.

Last edited:

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I think I'm done with trash ass TeamFight Tactics. Whoever thought of the item rng is an idiot who should be fired. Just played a game where I had only 1 item from the beginning carousel after the 3 starting minions waves and another person had 2 fully completed items and a 2 more items on the sideline. Think Underlords it is from now on.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I think I'm done with trash ass TeamFight Tactics. Whoever thought of the item rng is an idiot who should be fired. Just played a game where I had only 1 item from the beginning carousel after the 3 starting minions waves and another person had 2 fully completed items and a 2 more items on the sideline. Think Underlords it is from now on.

Yeah the item rng in TFT is so rampant that it completely negates any kind of tactical thinking in that game. That anyone would prefer that over Underlords is beyond me. Then again there are people who genuinly enjoy playing Monopoly so I guess I shouldnt be surprised.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I played one more game and I did it!
(I can't imagine many of you care, but I'm pretty pleased with this. I just wanted to hit a high-ish rank! This is my first Auto-chess and I've played maybe 30-35 hours)

I won 3 in a row to get there, I showed the previous two in a post above. This last game was against a 6 knights comp where the opponent had multiple 3*s, including a gyrocopter. My build shows a good example of an anti-knights build and placement.
I'm split becuase the opponent had a level 2 enigma, clumping=death as a result. if they had assassins, tiny or slardar would have been in the back row to draw their fire. The keys to this anti-knight build were:
  1. retaliate artifact (deals 240 pure damage when any enemy attacks a scared unit -- 80/sec. over 3 seconds, not stackable)
  2. Enigma: He deals pure damage which ignores the knight's damage reduction. You can see how easily he tops the damage charts. The opponent did not split his units, so enigma's AOE was very effective. The opponent beat me a couple of rounds before I got my tidehunter up to 2* and split my groups.
  3. status effects. Don't under-estimate tidehunter. Most of his damage was from retaliate, rather than his dps but his ability is a very powerful aoe stun. Tiny's stun is excellent, and lich's slow is a key mitigation tool.
  4. Fall from grace: often one of the best items in the game (turns humans in heartless -- heartless reduces opponents' armor, globally).
Thanks for reading my weird flex post.
(link to album showing a final round damage chart)

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Lvl 2 Beastmaster up to 4.5k HP after 62 kills. He was a monster, I so wanted to get him to lvl 3.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Re: Scalies
Okay, I get it. Use them in a way that they can be considered a counter, perhaps partner them with demons or heartless to truly wear down the enemy. I never got the global item for them, even when O tried to have them in my roster, so perhaps that is why I never understood em.
Screenshot-2019-07-02-11-13-13-836-com-valvesoftware-underlords.png

Finally another full game one with no one rage quitting. Rough start and I finished the game at 30 health trying to figure out what works here(I went hunter cause I rolled so many drow rangers in the beginning it just made sense) and I even tried to get savages/druids into the mix, but it just wasn't happening. Switched Drow Ranger for Windrunner, got Abbadon for the Heartless bonus, worked around the team compisition for a while, and then when the Knights started rolling in things got far better. Beastmaster was my MVP funnily enough, 3* early game brawlies with the global items can't be fucked with, gotta give em that. Also Sniper with brooch of the agressor and Hunter Bonus is a one way ticket to winning, just wow.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still haven't had time to try tft
it can't be that bad

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Screenshot-2019-07-02-13-43-13-629-com-valvesoftware-underlords.png

I am starting to get a hang of this. I was bashing Omniknight the other day, but man oh man is he saving my ass these last few rounds. Mage+Heartless+Knights are fucking broken yo, I'm talking KotL and Dragon Knight one shotting the entire board with this setup.

Oct 25, 2017
i actually think TFT is the deeper, more creative game right now, and they've already rolled out item rng changes to the beta server

DU has plenty of potential though with balance updates and the underlord mechanic, i'm excited to see what they do with warlocks and shamans this thursday

right now, from raw gameplay, i prefer DAC > TFT > DU. i don't play DAC at all because there's so much qol stuff in TFT and DU, but the races and classes are the most compelling. gods and wizards would be very welcome mechanics to underlords

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
I tried picking 3 cooldown reduction items in the first 3 rounds.

Kunkka bringing in 3 ships per round lol.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Morphling and Sand King aren't really good, aren't they? Played a match where I got three stars for them, and they are nowhere as good as a level two QoP.

And the damn Sand King chose to stun a lone hero rather than a group of heroes near him...

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Morphling is something I haven't tried getting to work on any teams yet, but with savage and assassin bonuses active Sand King can do some damage at 2* or above.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
idk its hard to judge the AI but the Aoe nuke/Aoe stun can win u rounds
Yeah, the AI is really unpredictable. It feels like the heroes are controlled by randoms in a Dota 2 pub match lol

I think I'm gonna stick with Qop/Slark/Bloodseeker for the assassins alliance while reserving the rest of the spots for other alliances.
Morphling is something I haven't tried getting to work on any teams yet, but with savage and assassin bonuses active Sand King can do some damage at 2* or above.
Interesting. I haven't tried combining savage and assassin alliances. I think I'll try it next match.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah, the AI is really unpredictable. It feels like the heroes are controlled by randoms in a Dota 2 pub match lol

I think I'm gonna stick with Qop/Slark/Bloodseeker for the assassins alliance while reserving the rest of the spots for other alliances.

Interesting. I haven't tried combining savage and assassin alliances. I think I'll try it next match.
I mean with Sand King its the only real reason to try it but its worth it. I had lost that game, but I had on the board a 3* Sand King boosted by:
-3x Assassin bonus
-2x Savage Bonus
-Savage Global Item

That meant a 1/10 chance for a crit, +10 damage and stackable Bleed damage from the global item. Pocket Sand would have also allowed a 2sec stun, but it wasn't worth it in that match. In any case, Savage and Assassin don't really go well together, and it could have been a fluke on my part.
Screenshot-2019-07-02-18-35-40-145-com-valvesoftware-underlords.png

After this game, I realized that penalization for abandoning is an absolute necessity. The RNG spazzed the fuck out with the hero spread, I was bouncing between a successful troll build to getting walled off from them, to getting knights and then mages and then back to knights before I was able to make a semi decent team, and then getting trolled by the game handing out Witch Doctor's and Troll Overlords like candy after abandoning that particular build. Thankfully I kept the batrider and Shaman otherwise I would have lost. This did help as gold was in abundance thanks to not being able to buy anything useful, and I didn't need to level up as I was eventually mowing down level 9s at level 7. It was an exercise in frustration, and not one I was particularly fond of.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
i actually think TFT is the deeper, more creative game right now, and they've already rolled out item rng changes to the beta server

DU has plenty of potential though with balance updates and the underlord mechanic, i'm excited to see what they do with warlocks and shamans this thursday

right now, from raw gameplay, i prefer DAC > TFT > DU. i don't play DAC at all because there's so much qol stuff in TFT and DU, but the races and classes are the most compelling. gods and wizards would be very welcome mechanics to underlords
Yeah, I agree. Once TFT fixes it's atrocious interface, and the weird pick-your-hero interface...it will have a rock solid hold on the lead.

Both games DESPERATELY need a "hover your mouse over a unit to get additional info" option...way too much right clicking and tons of space on screen used for things you don't need as much (like the scoreboard).

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to play with the brawny global item more, that was a lot of fun. Thinking about it, Beastmaster/Jugg might be the only one that really benefits from it. Axe and disrupter don't kill shit.

its only round 4 and one person already got 2 level 2? lol wow. RNG sometimes.

Not uncommon. Now seeing someone get a lvl 3 like by round 12, that's nuts.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to play with the brawny global item more, that was a lot of fun. Thinking about it, Beastmaster/Jugg might be the only one that really benefits from it. Axe and disrupter don't kill shit.

Not uncommon. Now seeing someone get a lvl 3 like by round 12, that's nuts.
i hate the underdog RNG where they give you shit rolls early on and try to make it up the last 10 rounds if i can even make it there. it took me round 12 to get my first level 2 lmao. and i wasn't even trying to be picky at that point. i wanted to D/C but stuck with it because i was praying 4 other people D/C first so i can make Top 4

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play Dota but this game is really good, I can't stop playing I don't know what's going on. I can see now why the mod got so popular.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree. Once TFT fixes it's atrocious interface, and the weird pick-your-hero interface...it will have a rock solid hold on the lead.

Both games DESPERATELY need a "hover your mouse over a unit to get additional info" option...way too much right clicking and tons of space on screen used for things you don't need as much (like the scoreboard).

yep the TFT UI is a complete joke, it's missing so many nice things from DU, like instant unit recognition when rerolling, clear synergies, flailing animations when picking up units to emphasize that a unit is picked up, clear indicators on skill and attack ranges... it goes on and on. the gameplay is so good that i deal with it, but anyone new to the auto chess genre, i'd probably recommend they play DU solely due to the UI-friendliness

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I don't play Dota but this game is really good, I can't stop playing I don't know what's going on. I can see now why the mod got so popular.
Seriously. I downloaded Auto Chess mobile day 1 and was having fun with it, bit Underlords is on a whole nother level. The global items and items in general not being moba combines, the streamline UI and general QoL improvements, its all so good. Also it was much easier to find what works with which heroes and what doesn't.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
This game absolutely infuriates me how I just can't seem to win, always third or second place only to get beaten by some ridiculous wombo combo team. Think my biggest mistake is getting complacent with the units I have and not grabbing the golden units that pop up at the end. Just got destroyed by a 3 star beastmaster and lvl 1 medusa combo that just destroyed my team in seconds, if I had bought the enigma that popped up I think that would have turned the tide but I was determined to upgrade my other units to 3 star.

Still though, I seem to be getting better every time. Just need to stop getting tilted as soon as I start losing, I panic and start rerolling like crazy then my money just flies down the toilet. Really enjoying the game, but man is it a love/hate relationship.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017

First win for me, 3 star Troll Warlord with full troll and heartless bonus, with the global troll item just melted people. I still had health in the 60s at the end.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
This game absolutely infuriates me how I just can't seem to win, always third or second place only to get beaten by some ridiculous wombo combo team. Think my biggest mistake is getting complacent with the units I have and not grabbing the golden units that pop up at the end. Just got destroyed by a 3 star beastmaster and lvl 1 medusa combo that just destroyed my team in seconds, if I had bought the enigma that popped up I think that would have turned the tide but I was determined to upgrade my other units to 3 star.

Still though, I seem to be getting better every time. Just need to stop getting tilted as soon as I start losing, I panic and start rerolling like crazy then my money just flies down the toilet. Really enjoying the game, but man is it a love/hate relationship.

Medusa is crazy man, I won two games with her shooting like crazy from behind and some good damage items.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC

I will say, something that helped me not get mad while playing any of these types of games, is that top 4 is the goal you should be shooting for. Obviously getting 1st is the best, but consistently placing top 4 is very good and made it more fun for me to play. Makes it way lower stress than lots of other competitive games.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

Just go with the flow. Once you start noticing the hero distribution between players and just rake in cash with the invest bonus, it becomes easier to switch strats mid game.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
I will say, something that helped me not get mad while playing any of these types of games, is that top 4 is the goal you should be shooting for. Obviously getting 1st is the best, but consistently placing top 4 is very good and made it more fun for me to play. Makes it way lower stress than lots of other competitive games.

That's definitely a more healthy way of approaching the game that's for sure, good advice.

Just go with the flow. Once you start noticing the hero distribution between players and just rake in cash with the invest bonus, it becomes easier to switch strats mid game.

Investing is something I definitely don't do enough of, impatience gets the better of me and I start mashing reroll over and over again.

Medusa is crazy man, I won two games with her shooting like crazy from behind and some good damage items.

For sure, one use of her ability can completely change a match if you can protect her well. I had a full team of knights so I definitely should have grabbed her and shoved her in the middle of my units.

It's so strange how a genre like this can just sort of pop up out of nowhere, never would have thought of a game like this in a million years, it's pretty damn genius.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
0xol3oa.jpg

U0x4Heo.jpg

Fourth win in a row. This one went long. I won at 6 hp. Knights continue to be pretty OP unless your opponent builds against them. Nobody had an enigma this game, nobody had retaliation.

The opponent went demons, with a 3* shadowfiend, Terrorblade and antimage. Demons are good, but level 1 scaled alliance is enough to tone down the damage and antimage has terrible scaling. They got overrun by my 2 2* dragon knights, which, with a 6 knight buff is the strongest combo in the game right now, imo. 3* omniknight is also insane. Hit Boss 2 now. feeling like I might try to make Big Boss. I think the difficulty is going to scale way up though.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Don't sweat it, as others have said being able to consistently get 2nd or 3rd place is really good. I was in the exact same situation as you and made a similar post. I would recommend not obsessing over getting three-star lower-tier units. As soon as good 4 and 5-star units appear, try to move towards obtaining 2-star versions of those and slowly replace your current units.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
have they said anything about updates? i guess they are going to hold the mobile patch to fix the can't see ability until later?
speaking of mobile. anyone play on ipad? does it work well with the PC UI?

speaking of PC. does it not show the tier roll % like mobile?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
GgQjbpm.png

look at all that gold. I had the inventor, scrappy and 1g per loss perks. I was going to do lose strat, but I ended up winning a ton only spending money on scrappy or inventor units. I spent most of the game with 6 units down and re-rolling off interest to get the shitty units as big as possible because there is almost no way to complete scrappy until lvl 9 when techies is at a better %.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GgQjbpm.png

look at all that gold. I had the inventor, scrappy and 1g per loss perks. I was going to do lose strat, but I ended up winning a ton only spending money on scrappy or inventor units. I spent most of the game with 6 units down and re-rolling off interest to get the shitty units as big as possible because there is almost no way to complete scrappy until lvl 9 when techies is at a better %.
I try my best to lose when I get that buff. . . but some people afk or leave

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Found a pretty good article on Twinfinite going over the improvements that the game needs to make in order to "win the auto chess wars". The UI stuff is spot on and the quicker games is absolutely something I want to see, although as I play more, I feel like game times are in an OK place currently.

The news of the proto-battle pass coming next week is also a really exciting change. I NEED something to strive for in this game other than just wins.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Found a pretty good article on Twinfinite going over the improvements that the game needs to make in order to "win the auto chess wars". The UI stuff is spot on and the quicker games is absolutely something I want to see, although as I play more, I feel like game times are in an OK place currently.

The news of the proto-battle pass coming next week is also a really exciting change. I NEED something to strive for in this game other than just wins.
uh isn't Valve already working on those 4 things (ui, rewards, updates, shorter gam)?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the battlepass need coming from? I've seen it tossed around but can't find a source.

The week after you'll see the release of progression and what we call the Proto-Battle Pass. This beta Battle Pass will let us iterate on the system with you and get your feedback on what works and what doesn't plus what kind of content you'd like the Season 1 Battle Pass to include.

Status
Not open for further replies.