• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I've found that the game is a lot more fun (and my results are a ton better) if I completely cash out on rerolls when my XP is at 3/4 and/or 7/8 so that I can consolidate my tier 1 and 2 units before the higher stuff comes into play and butchers their odds.

You'll end up down a unit in mid-game to late-midgame, but your units will be more than strong enough to push through it, and the extra bench space makes it much, much easier to hit your comp goals. Plus, you're much more likely to dodge the worst feeling in the game, which is ditching a unit (often multiple times) only to see it pop up in the next roll. By the start of endgame, I'd say half the time I'll have 2 3-star units, and half the time I'll have 3. Beats having to sweat out rerolls hoping for a lucky pull.

A 3 star Luna, Queen of Pain, or Bloodseeker in the midgame is nuts.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hate the voices they've added in the last update. Since only some characters have them, it's always unexpected, loud and kinda annoying.
I hope they add an option to filter them out.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I wish it wouldn't eat through my battery as fast. Would be great if there was a battery saver mode with minimal graphics, because I mostly don't care about the graphics when I'm playing on mobile.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
There we go
iZzx9Uj.png

First non-bot game, first win

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I've found that the game is a lot more fun (and my results are a ton better) if I completely cash out on rerolls when my XP is at 3/4 and/or 7/8 so that I can consolidate my tier 1 and 2 units before the higher stuff comes into play and butchers their odds.

You'll end up down a unit in mid-game to late-midgame, but your units will be more than strong enough to push through it, and the extra bench space makes it much, much easier to hit your comp goals. Plus, you're much more likely to dodge the worst feeling in the game, which is ditching a unit (often multiple times) only to see it pop up in the next roll. By the start of endgame, I'd say half the time I'll have 2 3-star units, and half the time I'll have 3. Beats having to sweat out rerolls hoping for a lucky pull.

Interesting strategy, I'll give it a shot.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This is "random shit the game" but I quite like it. Feels like a super-dice-based board game where you just hope for the best and making the most out of your rolls/draws.

I'm kinda pissed at the moment. What looked like my first win became a fourth place where my whole army got wiped without killing one enemy resulting 20+ dmg and instant-out. WTF? Like I said: Random Shit, lol.

Fun nonetheless.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seems too risky to cash out
Like if you don't get what you want it's gg

thelostone

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
User banned (3 days): trolling, ignoring a warning for the same behavior
For real this game really blows it's not a chill game. You don't have to think about strategy I close my eyes doing a round and won come on now is were going to now

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Seems too risky to cash out
Like if you don't get what you want it's gg
The pool of possible heroes at that point is few enough that I'm pretty sure that you'd have to win the anti-lottery to not come out of it with the strongest team on the board. Four on the board and one or two potentials in reserve seems to be plenty. Plus, it's early enough that you can pivot to whatever alliances the draws seem to be favoring - just pick up a few that catch your eye along the way as "this'll be good if I also get that", and if you don't get that, sell em off at the end for extra rolls aiming at what you do have.

Chaos Knight and Queen of Pain are godsends in there too, because of the solo Demon alliance. 20g+ worth of rerolls at that point is usually plenty to take one from not-having-it to 2-star, along with whatever else you're picking up.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I hope in season 2 we can see our real rank at any time and have the highest rank be for the public. I'm definitely somewhere in smuggler again, but I don't have a way of knowing for sure where.

You almost have to go Scrappy/Inventor or 1 gold warrior early.

If someone else is doing the same strategy you might not have enough matches to make it out of the early game.
I'm just gonna save it for when I get the 1g per loss perk at the start. At least then I'm getting so much gold its hard to place low.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
This is "random shit the game" but I quite like it. Feels like a super-dice-based board game where you just hope for the best and making the most out of your rolls/draws.

I'm kinda pissed at the moment. What looked like my first win became a fourth place where my whole army got wiped without killing one enemy resulting 20+ dmg and instant-out. WTF? Like I said: Random Shit, lol.

Fun nonetheless.
Yo get nagas and spread against mages or you'll die

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I started on PC on Sunday and through the entire workweek only played on my iPhone. Just played another match on PC. Personally, I find any differences between the versions to be very minor and I don't feel like I'm at any sort of disadvantage on mobile. Obviously your experience is your experience, but I would hate for people to stumble on this comment and avoid trying the game because "playing on mobile is way too hard." For me it's an incredible mobile experience and that's one of the reasons I jumped into this instead of trying out TFT.

Anyhow, first post in this thread, but I've put in 28 hours this week and risen to Lieutenant V without any previous experience with the genre, so yeah, I think it's a fantastic game and I'm excited for all of the additions Valve makes. I'm also super impressed with the frequency of updates and transparency from the devs, which gives me a lot of faith that the game has a solid future and is worth putting time into.

My bad. Didn't realize it was the same on pc. Figured you'd be able to see alliances there.

Hopefully they add that feature in the future. Anytime I play, I need to have another screen open to check a bunch of stuff that should be shown in game.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Fun nonetheless.

That's what every "card" drafting game feels like until you grasp the finer details.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my first lvl 3 Terrorblade ever (including the original mod). I also had 2 of the demon global items, it was pretty much an instant win button soon as I got him. Absurd damage with 4 demons on the field, one shotting lvl 2s.

wEfZBP3.png

Last edited:

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else, pretty much, always take the additional item and 1 wave sooner item selection choices?
Managing to get a Divine Rapier slightly early and throwing it on a leveled Medusa, I went from slightly winning/losing to just mowing down everyone.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, decided to try out an all Assassin team.
Only ended up with 7 of them, plus a Dragon Knight and only got them to level 2, but surprisingly still got 3rd place with 24 wins.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Might be my easiest game so far, 42/48 rounds won. But this guy 8hp left at 38 but managed to hold until round 48. And he was also getting back his gold after going all out.
Jesus.

Knights + Hunters are strong when you get the gold rolling early. But a good mage setup is a problem as usual.

tR3zxdW.jpg

HncVsCB.jpg

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I have still not won a single match. 3rd place is my ceiling so far. I got my first win in Auto Chess way more quickly.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
I have still not won a single match. 3rd place is my ceiling so far. I got my first win in Auto Chess way more quickly.
I feel like the people in Auto Chess are either newer to the whole thing, are just less good, or their matchmaking is worse. I won a lot more games of Auto Chess than Underlords too.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
Long games today, went past Roshan two times. Also the first time I managed to get a three star tier 5 and I got two of them. I do feel way more consistent at the game now.

4rpvYBo.jpg

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
First time I've handled a Rapier. Damn that was strong.

I had success with this setup for a few times now.

If lucky, Strange Bedfellows passive shows in the first 3 rounds. Stackable
Then get AM, then 3 warriors or 2 Knights to tank.
Pudge and Tiny are necessarry. Especially Pudge to hook those pesky range that the enemy is protecting.
Keep getting demons.
Get Disruptor on every chance. He's stupidly good late game even at lvl2 against Mages and Knights.
Gyro or Tide to lvl 2 depending on luck/situation.
Enemies will place Kunkka or Tide on the frontlines most of the time for them to use their skill. Front them with Anti-mage and they're useless.

6u0QfZ3.jpg

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone know if Windranger's power shot counts a physical or magical damage? I feel like I remember it being magical in Dota 2 and I just finished a game using her in a mage strat and felt like it was doing more than my KOTL.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nov 1, 2017

Nice. It makes her an amazing KOTL sub for mage strat, and she can usually build it up faster and more consistently. The dragons buff really made DK a monster for mage teams that run Puck too.

I think the trap most people get into with most strategies is going all in with one, instead of just building a good team composition that takes advantage of the earlier levels of synergy. 3-mage-alliance is really good for several non-mages. And you can fill out the rest of your team with roles to support your best nukers.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I got my first win against real people!

My main problem is I have no idea what items are good on who. I just kind of guess based on the stats and hope for the best. I also have no clue how to position my units properly.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Forged in Battle Brawny heavy didn't work this time. I got fourth. The last three players all went super fucking tank. Knight/Druid/Warlock. I think it was the life steal that fucked me over.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
After my first victory a couple of days ago the curse has been lifted and I won another two times today. The full troll bonus is really powerful.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I cannot win in this game

I mean I buy the stuff I can get to build some nice alliances and if possible a mix of melee and ranged, and just get utterly destroyed nonstop

pretty damn frustrating

Dusky

Oct 25, 2017
This comp is honestly nuts, went open fort and at first struggled to find something concrete but found a couple druids and assassins so banked on that.

After round 16 I didn't lose once.

Managed to grab a retaliate and with slark level 3 he just went nuts. Thanks Swim

qg6GIms.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot win in this game

I mean I buy the stuff I can get to build some nice alliances and if possible a mix of melee and ranged, and just get utterly destroyed nonstop

pretty damn frustrating
I think I've hit my peak, I hardly ever win anymore.
Only 1 out of 8 chance to win anyway (12.5%)

🙏 to rn:jesus: and hope for the best 🤷‍♀️

If you just want to iwn play Hearthstone 50:50 chance lul

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or is Omniknight beyond broken right now? Almost unkillable.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I quit quite a few games early on because I keep forgetting to place my units in the first round, so I had to climb up all the ranks one by one, but I finally did it 28 hours in.

5EmrLeF.png

Going to slow down playing the game now, feels like I'm doing pretty much the same two strategies every game which is getting a bit stale.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quit quite a few games early on because I keep forgetting to place my units in the first round, so I had to climb up all the ranks one by one, but I finally did it 28 hours in.

5EmrLeF.png

Going to slow down playing the game now, feels like I'm doing pretty much the same two strategies every game which is getting a bit stale.
👍

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Another "Winner winner Underlord dinner!" for me!

U5aAzWz.png

The best part about this one was from round 3 (I think? It was before 5 for sure) onward, I didn't lose a single round until the very last round, and even then my opponent was low enough where they lost and I won as a result.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
so how do people feel about this game so far?
I've logged 25 hours and probably had about as many hours in the the original mod. I can't help but feel like the game is extremely shallow and empty. I'm climbing in rank and getting better at spending my money and picking my heroes and alliances but I don't feel any satisfaction in doing so. Even with the original boom of the mod, having played many wc3, sc2, and Dota2 custom games over the years, I don't think there's anything substantial that puts auto chess apart from any other popular mod. For example while I don't think GemTD(which also is almost exclusively about managing random chance) is a good game it's still more interesting and stimulating to me than this. I guess I wish this game was a bit more chess than slot machine, introducing something like movement pattern restrictions on unit types(or maybe define patterns by tiles on the board) would add much needed strategic depth. As it stands right now I don't think this is anything more than a shallow dopamine delivery system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.